Jump to content

Urban Meyer to Jags rumor


SouthernJet
 Share

Recommended Posts

It'd be a good hire by them, don't care one bit about the salary.  The main thing they need is installing an offense that actually can function in the modern NFL.  

The interesting aspect is the Fields discussion because he would have insider knowledge (he talks to Day often according to his show) of Fields, so it'll be interesting if he gets to pick him or Lawrence. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Can you imagine the euphoria of Jet fans if the Jags took Fields? If they do indeed hire Meyer I’d give it a 50/50 chance if Fields has a big   game against Alabama.

If Jets get Lawrence I  am going full sadist ansd rooting that he sucks.

Alos, Urban Meyer is a walking aneurysm. Am guessing it doesnt work.

and working fo Khan??  you think Jets is a bad place? THis guy openly happy his team kept losing when the Jets won..

.

Shad Khan 2021 NFL Draft Jaguars

 

 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meyer supposedly already lining up a staff, expected to be coaching in Jacksonville.  I don't see Khaaan! being cheap, and may be paying up to $12M per. 

As for Meyers medical condition, he has an arachnoid cyst, which causes him headaches,  but he had surgery a couple of years ago to relieve the condition (and maybe a shunt?). We shall see...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

here is the jet way

fans pray some how trevor will be there and in the end he is and the jets go in a different direction and Joe says I believe in Sam or the trade value was too good to pass up with all our needs.

I can still remember being a young fan and thrilled marino was there for the taking and everybody  knew it would be marino and the jets selected Kenny O ( I turned to my dad and said who?

I can still remember sitting in the draft audience screaming with tons of other crazy jet fans sapp sapp sapp and the jets took brady yep kyle brady.....it was like a kick to the nuts by a size 18 shoe

 

 

  • Sad 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

It'd be a good hire by them, don't care one bit about the salary.  The main thing they need is installing an offense that actually can function in the modern NFL.  

The interesting aspect is the Fields discussion because he would have insider knowledge (he talks to Day often according to his show) of Fields, so it'll be interesting if he gets to pick him or Lawrence. 

 

I think its a PR move.

Urban isn't the best man for the job, he isn't the best candidate. He's old school, and he's a college coach. 

But he's a big name, he has credibility - particularly in that part of America. He's well known, and respected. He's a celebrity. 

 

The Jags need a bit of excitement, a public profile, more than they need wins. They've been out of the limelight for too long. They're bordering on irrelevant, and Khan wants to gain name recognition before anything else - especially if he plans on moving the team to London. The team has to be good, but it also needs to be 'cool', with a place in the public consciousness. It all starts here. 

 

Best case scenario, Urban turns out to be a huge success...like Pete Carroll. Who came to Seattle after a long hiatus away from the NFL at USC. 

Worst case, Urban is another Saban. A few fireworks, and then straight back to college comfort. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2925383-urban-meyer-reportedly-seeking-12m-per-year-on-jaguars-contract

Urban Meyer has been linked to the head coaching vacancy with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but he won't come cheap.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, Meyer is seeking $12 million per year to come out of retirement and become the head coach of Jacksonville.

The Jaguars announced Monday they have fired Doug Marrone after a 1-15 season.

Florio previously reported the job is Meyer's if he wants it. The former Ohio State coach is reportedly contacting people to fill out his staff, according to Florio.

Jaguars owner Shad Khan denied discussing the job with Meyer when speaking to reporters Monday.

"I've known Urban over the years... but we have not spoken to anyone about this job or interviewed them," Khan said. "We made this decision this morning, and I'll leave it at that."

It could still be a desirable opening this offseason, as ESPN's Adam Schefter noted:

Jacksonville would be an interesting home for Meyer, who has never coached in the NFL but has proved himself at the college level. The 56-year-old has a 187-32 career record in Division I with Ohio State, Florida, Utah and Bowling Green, winning three national championships.

Even with that impressive resume, $12 million is a lofty asking price for any coach.

According to John Breech of CBS Sports, Meyer would match Bill Belichick as the highest-paid coach in the NFL, though salaries are not public and the New England Patriots coach could be making more.

Matt Rhule reportedly received a seven-year contract from the Carolina Panthers that could be worth up to $70 million with incentives, per Schefter. Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden also reportedly got a 10-year, $100 million contract to return to the field from television.

These figures could help the Jaguars justify a high-priced deal for Meyer this offseason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

 

I think its a PR move.

Urban isn't the best man for the job, he isn't the best candidate. He's old school, and he's a college coach. 

But he's a big name, he has credibility - particularly in that part of America. He's well known, and respected. He's a celebrity. 

 

The Jags need a bit of excitement, a public profile, more than they need wins. They've been out of the limelight for too long. They're bordering on irrelevant, and Khan wants to gain name recognition before anything else - especially if he plans on moving the team to London. The team has to be good, but it also needs to be 'cool', with a place in the public consciousness. It all starts here. 

 

Best case scenario, Urban turns out to be a huge success...like Pete Carroll. Who came to Seattle after a long hiatus away from the NFL at USC. 

Worst case, Urban is another Saban. A few fireworks, and then straight back to college comfort. 

Just like Brady (BB) & Russell Wilson (Carroll) Urban better hope TL or Fields are GENERATIONAL! 

How many games does Seattle win this year without Russell Wilson? I say 6 MAX!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, kmnj said:

here is the jet way

fans pray some how trevor will be there and in the end he is and the jets go in a different direction and Joe says I believe in Sam or the trade value was too good to pass up with all our needs.

I can still remember being a young fan and thrilled marino was there for the taking and everybody  knew it would be marino and the jets selected Kenny O ( I turned to my dad and said who?

I can still remember sitting in the draft audience screaming with tons of other crazy jet fans sapp sapp sapp and the jets took brady yep kyle brady.....it was like a kick to the nuts by a size 18 shoe

 

 

Marino wasn't the supposed prize in that draft . I know where the Jets drafted(24th) Marino was still available, but Elway, Kelly, Eason and Blackledge were all rated above him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Just like Brady (BB) & Russell Wilson (Carroll) Urban better hope TL or Fields are GENERATIONAL! 

How many games does Seattle win this year without Russell Wilson? I say 6 MAX!

For sure. You need the right talent to execute your plans. 

Think of all the coaches whose good ideas went to waste because they couldn't get the right talent...

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

 

I think its a PR move.

Urban isn't the best man for the job, he isn't the best candidate. He's old school, and he's a college coach. 

But he's a big name, he has credibility - particularly in that part of America. He's well known, and respected. He's a celebrity. 

 

The Jags need a bit of excitement, a public profile, more than they need wins. They've been out of the limelight for too long. They're bordering on irrelevant, and Khan wants to gain name recognition before anything else - especially if he plans on moving the team to London. The team has to be good, but it also needs to be 'cool', with a place in the public consciousness. It all starts here. 

 

Best case scenario, Urban turns out to be a huge success...like Pete Carroll. Who came to Seattle after a long hiatus away from the NFL at USC. 

Worst case, Urban is another Saban. A few fireworks, and then straight back to college comfort. 

I think Meyer will be a great hire for them, because his coaching tree is extensive with offensive success, and his offense fits the talent pool.  He believes in the basic principle of spread in matching up numbers, which is enhanced by a mobile QB.  He will have a choice of Lawrence/Smith, and Minshew on the team that all can fit the offense (So can Sam).  I remember him being interested in the Dallas job, because Dak fits the offense as well, and he played under his ex-OC Mullen at Ole Miss.   

I don't think he'll fail like the other coaches, because the spread system works in today's NFL with the rule changes.  Even Chip Kelly would have been successful if he wasn't a loser GM and I guess racist.  

The issue really is, how much control will he have on the personnel?  I think that's been the main un-doing of college to NFL coaches, be it Saban, Spurrier, Kelley, etc where they believe the system supersedes the talent.  If he remains just a coach, I think he'll thrive.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

urban brings more PR,, QBs rarely end up where press has them when they are 20 years old..

If Urban wants Fields Khan will agree to it.. Urban beloved in Florida. He left for OSU but they remember the titles.

I think risky hire cause he has has SEVCERAL exhaustion episodes over years.. 

I just don't think that will happen.The fans for the Jag's all all in on TL...I think Khan is as well.

My opinion is whoever want's to be the Jag's coach will have to except TL.

Fields has to face Bama...lets see how that turns out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ItsTheSameOldJets said:

12 Million is a lot for a Coach.. 

Does that figure come from a reliable source. It sounds about right, in light of Matt Ruhle's contract.

edit: Sorry, now I see it above. Florio reported it. I can't say I blame Urban for the ask. Based on the other contracts, it sounds about right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Marino wasn't the supposed prize in that draft . I know where the Jets drafted(24th) Marino was still available, but Elway, Kelly, Eason and Blackledge were all rated above him. 

marino was the prize for the jets that he was sitting there and they needed a qb and it was the assumption they would take him when he was still there-

 

I was there I know for sure how it played out- and certainly nobody even knew who ken obrien was.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

marino was the prize for the jets that he was sitting there and they needed a qb and it was the assumption they would take him when he was still there-

 

I was there I know for sure how it played out- and certainly nobody even knew who ken obrien was.

 

 

The pot head rumor was strong back then...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kmnj said:

marino was the prize for the jets that he was sitting there and they needed a qb and it was the assumption they would take him when he was still there-

 

I was there I know for sure how it played out- and certainly nobody even knew who ken obrien was.

 

 

Marino had red flags , his partying , his intelligence came into question . Sure in hindsight we can say what a mistake but if O'B went on to win a SB nobody would care that we passed on Marino. And i feel O'Brien was a great QB that got killed behind a porous Oline, but unlike Sam nobody made excuses for him .  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ItsTheSameOldJets said:

12 Million is a lot for a Coach.. 

coach has a huge impact as we have seen all too well

u want top guy pay top dollar

jets end up paying more when u add up all of the salaries they are still paying for lousy coaches

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Marino wasn't the supposed prize in that draft . I know where the Jets drafted(24th) Marino was still available, but Elway, Kelly, Eason and Blackledge were all rated above him. 

Not according to Don Shula...he was aghast that Marino was still available and that the Jets took O'Brien...he said so on draft day if I recall.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

He didnt recruit Fields to OSU (he was gone by time Fields transferred to OSU), but probably scouted him in high school. Dont forget OSU didnt change Offensive system so Fields transferred there cause his skill set fit Urbans system. 

In that context if Fields plays lights out again vs Bama and Urban implementing his scheme with Jags its not impossible he wants Fields over Lawrence.

Urban to Jags would make this weekends Fields performance a interesting topic. Perfect fit for Urban scheme and already knows it but knows it to perfection. Hell, keep Glennon or hire Fitz on a 1 year and Jags may surprise folks

IMO, if Fields does to Bama what he did to Clemson it changes the whole landscape of the #1 pick.

The Urban Myer angle is interesting.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Marino had red flags , his partying , his intelligence came into question . Sure in hindsight we can say what a mistake but if O'B went on to win a SB nobody would care that we passed on Marino. And i feel O'Brien was a great QB that got killed behind a porous Oline, but unlike Sam nobody made excuses for him .  

it was not hindsight -once again I was there-all jet fans wanted marino that were in attendance-it is just like all jet fans wanted sapp-ironically weed played a factor in both cases -

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...