Just for fun - If you HAD to hire a former Jets HC to come back who would you take?

Just for fun: If you HAD to hire one of these former Jets HC's again as HC, who would you take?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. You are forced to hire a former Jets HC to come back and coach the Jets. Who do you want?

• Adam Gase
    • Todd Bowles
    • Rex Ryan
    • Eric Mangini
    • Herm Edwards

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I voted Rex because 1. JD wouldn't let him anywhere near the draft and 2. JD would assemble a team Rex could work with.  

None the less I want a none of the above option because....well just because I've already had enough pain for one decade.  

Solid post but REX would have an anyerism if we drafted offense in round 1.  

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would only note that my post didn’t mention Mangini, only bewilderment that nobody—not one team—has even tried to interview Rex Ryan since his termination in Buffalo. DESPITE the accolades you listed

I quoted you, "Mangini," is the first word of the quote. 

55 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The answer is that he knifed all three GMs he worked for, getting all of them fired within a four year span. 

Sam Darnold is heading into Year 4 and will have his third head coach.  It doesn't mean he intentionally got them fired.  To a large degree they did that on their own.  How many of the GMs that Rex worked for and were fired are NFL GMs right now?

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The answer is that he knifed all three GMs he worked for, getting all of them fired within a four year span. 

Is it a surprise that Rex is a master bladesman when it comes time to carve a turkey 

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

seriously. he couldnt make the playoff with Brett Favre. same team Rex with Sanchez went to 2 AFCCC

I bet he would have in 2009/10 as well. Farve came up lame and that's the only reason he didn't.

• Upvote 1

I'm not even defending Rex, that's a problem with your testosterone. 
But while we're on the subject, Rex actually succeeded as a coach on the NFL level. He was a great defensive mind, and getting the Jets to back-to-back AFCCGs with Mark Sanchez at QB is about as impressive as coaching performances go. 
Your make-believe asterisk aside, why couldn't he get a job with Jim Harbaugh -the only person to give him a look in the pros- in college, then? 
Oh, because he sucks! That's right! 

“Succeeded”

7 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I bet he would have in 2009/10 as well. Farve came up lame and that's the only reason he didn't.

Rex’s defensive playcalling was why we started 3-0 in 2009

Mangini for all the worship he gets here was a lousy defensive playcaller.  Matt Cassell and Jamarcus Russell had their best games ever facing Mangini and that was with Darrelle Revis on the field

Mangini - i think he is fully broken of being Belichek lite.  Excellent talent evaluator.

Rex had enough of a run, and has no acolytes to bring in.

Gase is a joke.  Fugazi guru.  Absolute failure as HC in 2 spots.  Alienated more players than he improved.

Bowles obviously should have never been a HC.  He will never get the chance again.

Herm a total glad hand, tell ya what ya wanna hear con artist.  The Isaiah Thomas of the NFL, w/o bankrupting a league on his resume.  The lowest compensation for a HC in history.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Rex’s defensive playcalling was why we started 3-0 in 2009

Mangini for all the worship he gets here was a lousy defensive playcaller.  Matt Cassell and Jamarcus Russell had their best games ever facing Mangini and that was with Darrelle Revis on the field

I agree that Rex was a better Defensive Coach, however Mangini was the better HC.

18 hours ago, kelly said:

" Just for fun - If you HAD to hire a former Jets HC to come back who would you take? "..

image.jpeg

...the guy standing next to Joe in the above photo  ?

just a question.. am i the only one who  ? Luv's  ?  this ^ ^ pic  ?  ?

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It's amazing how people can forget how despised he was toward the end. A total f*cking fraud. 

Literally the only reason is he had less years here than most to piss fans off.  So once folks grew to personally hate other coaches (or GMs) more than they did him, as a result of only time, some became desperate to blame his long list of laughable failures on them, and similarly credit him for their successes.  There's no basis in reality for any of it.

amazing how Mangini gets so much love on this board for doing nothing. 

mangini - 1 playoff game . gets blown out in NE with Chad throwing for 300 yds.

Rex- 4-2 in playoffs, beats Peyton and Brady on the road, half a quarter from the SB twice....

Half this Board- give me Mangini!! 

Mangini - couldnt make the playoffs with HOF Brett Favre. 

Rex- makes AFCCC twice with Sanchez.

Half this Board- give me Mangini!!!!

face it guys, Rex was the better HC. you just dont like Rex the person. hes Arrogant, big mouth, brass. and you guys dont like that.

then how the hell did you become Jet fans. thats our identity. thats who Joe Namath was.  guaranteeing SB wins. 

Rex is one of 4 Jet HCs ( Ewbanks, Michaels, Parcells ) to make the AFCCC. and Rex did it twice. yet half of you think a guy who couldnt win his only playoff game was better? smh

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It's amazing how people can forget how despised he was toward the end. A total f*cking fraud. 

From that list, he is by the far the best one (aside from arguing about Rex). Mangini was a good talent evaluator. Rex just took that same talent built Mangini built into a super bowl contender for a little while.  

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

amazing how Mangini gets so much love on this board for doing nothing. 

mangini - 1 playoff game . gets blown out in NE with Chad throwing for 300 yds.

Rex- 4-2 in playoffs, beats Peyton and Brady on the road, half a quarter from the SB twice....

Half this Board- give me Mangini!! 

Mangini - couldnt make the playoffs with HOF Brett Favre. 

Rex- makes AFCCC twice with Sanchez.

Half this Board- give me Mangini!!!!

face it guys, Rex was the better HC. you just dont like Rex the person. hes Arrogant, big mouth, brass. and you guys dont like that.

then how the hell did you become Jet fans. thats our identity. thats who Joe Namath was.  guaranteeing SB wins. 

Rex is one of 4 Jet HCs ( Ewbanks, Michaels, Parcells ) to make the AFCCC. and Rex did it twice. yet half of you think a guy who couldnt win his only playoff game was better? smh

Mangini built that team, Rex just took it to new heights. Once the talent started to erode, Rex got exposed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Mangini built that team, Rex just took it to new heights. Once the talent started to erode, Rex got exposed.

so then Mangini is the better talent guy. maybe he should be a GM. but Rex did way more with those players than Mangini did

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

From that list, he is by the far the best one (aside from arguing about Rex). Mangini was a good talent evaluator. Rex just took that same talent built Mangini built into a super bowl contender for a little while.  

Almost like the actual coaching is important. 

Rex is the far, far better coach. It's not close. Any objective observer would say the same rather than the delusional bitter Jet fans who hate Rex because he was loud. Bitches. 

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Almost like the actual coaching is important. 

Rex is the far, far better coach. It's not close. Any objective observer would say the same rather than the delusional bitter Jet fans who hate Rex because he was loud. Bitches. 

Oh, I don't hate Rex. Especially when he's provided me with the best Jets moments since I started watching them lol. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Rex and Tanny let way too many role players who were big contributors go, which hurt his running game and that rushing attack suffered every year because of it. If you are a ground and pound team with an erratic QB why didn't Rex and Tanny draft a dynamic RB that could both pound the football and be a good solid outlet receiver for Sanchez to check down too ? They did everything the opposite of what they were trying to accomplish on the field, that and bringing in band-aid drunks and malcontents at the WR position when they should have been bringing in Big possession guys was another mistake.

What killed Mangini was the Favre Injury because that team was playing some damn good football before he got hurt

• Upvote 1