Christopher Johnson Press Conf: MERGED

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

All talk no action. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

I don’t know what kind of conference calls you’re used to Joe, but they usually involve lots of talking and very little action.  It’s pretty much the definition of a conference call, so I’m not totally sure what you’re expecting my friend.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just listened to the whole presser.

The problem now is that Joe Douglas has gone from the quiet nerd in the background to being the front man and the guy responsible for hiring the new head coach.  It doesn't matter who reports to whom.  What matters now is that Joe is going to find himself squarely on the NY media hot seat, the honeymoon is over, they always need a new villain, and that is going to force him to try to win-now with a team that is far from it.

Reporting structure doesn't matter when an owner is this impatient.  The concern now is that Douglas goes full-Maccagnan, loading up on free agents and retreads trying to eke out a respectable 9-7 playoff season to save his own standing when he should be doing the exact opposite.  Having Gase as a punching bag and a fall guy meant Joe Douglas had the luxury of time.  He doesn't now.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Douglas will speak eventually, who gives a flying you-know-what about when it is?  He’s in the middle of putting in requests and figuring out guys he wants to target today, let Johnson handle the presser, like most owners do.

A couple of weeks ago, I, along with @football guy, told you and everyone else here everything that was said today, and you convinced yourself that we were mouthpieces for the organization to spread their propaganda.  Your exact quote to FG was “we’ll see in a week if this is the truth or propaganda”.  Now that the owner has spoken and confirmed everything that we both said, you’ve pivoted to “Douglas didn’t say anything, so I don’t believe it’s true”.   There’s absolutely nothing left to say here.  You won’t believe it anyway.

-Reporting structure- still the same.

-Douglas still MIA -but who gives a flying F right?

-Believe in the Johnson's to get it right, this time.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

-  Johnson literally said in the presser that “maybe a change there is necessary”.  Either way, plenty of successful teams (like the Rams) have this same structure.  It’s not this big deal you make it out to be.  The actual selections for GM and HC are what matter, and Douglas will be the driving force behind selecting the next coach.

-  Yeah.  Who gives a f*ck?  I don’t care about my employees regurgitating a bunch of stupid cliches to the fans, I care about them working.  The Jets put in multiple requests today.  He’s busy.

-  Nah, instead lets put our tinfoil hats on and live in a perpetual state of misery so we can b*tch about it on a football forum non-stop.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

I don’t know what kind of conference calls you’re used to Joe, but they usually involve lots of talking and very little action.  It’s pretty much the definition of a conference call, so I’m not totally sure what you’re expecting my friend.

Honesty,integrity,responsibility,transparency is expected from a person in the position Christopher Johnson is in. 

To get respect people need to earn it. 

The aggravation and sh*t and how he treated fans is bad. 

PSL owners,ticket owners.fans are paying for all this failure. 

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

-  Johnson literally said in the presser that “maybe a change there is necessary”.  Either way, plenty of successful teams (like the Rams) have this same structure.  It’s not this big deal you make it out to be.  The actual selections for GM and HC are what matter, and Douglas will be the driving force behind selecting the next coach.

-  Yeah.  Who gives a f*ck?  I don’t care about my employees regurgitating a bunch of stupid cliches to the fans, I care about them working.  The Jets put in multiple requests today.  He’s busy.

-  Nah, instead lets put our tinfoil hats on and live in a perpetual state of misery so we can b*tch about it on a football forum non-stop.

I feel presence, optics, and communication are more important I guess. If Douglas is truly in charge, let him do everything from the press conferences, to the interviews, to the drafts etc. Like a President or a CEO of any franchise would do. The Johnson's should have enough awareness by now to completely remove themselves from everything. The Jets have been losing for too long for the fans to buy what the Johnson's continue to sell. Let Douglas sell the fanbase. Let him be the guy.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Lets keep it all in perspective.  If you were selling your house would you say:

a) I love this house.  We had so many great memories here.   The neighborhood is amazing.  If it was up to me I would never sell but with the kids all grown we figured it was time to give another lucky family their own special memories.  

OR

b) We really don't like this house so much anymore.  We were so optimistic when we purchased it  that we were willing to give up 3 high draft picks to close the deal.  We nurtured the house with love for many years but despite this the house kept throwing interceptions and now we found out it was built on an ancient burial ground. 

Which answer yields you the better deal?

Hmm is this why Sam see's ghosts ??

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

-Deaf to what was said.  

-MIA, everyone knows where he is except for Matt39.  Thank god you give a flying F, I was worried no one cared that  JD wasnt on the owner presser.  Cant figure out why

-Self explanatory.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I feel presence, optics, and communication are more important I guess. If Douglas is truly in charge, let him do everything from the press conferences, to the interviews, to the drafts etc. Like a President or a CEO of any franchise would do. The Johnson's should have enough awareness by now to completely remove themselves from everything. The Jets have been losing for too long for the fans to buy what the Johnson's continue to sell. Let Douglas sell the fanbase. Let him be the guy.

Cliches and GM speak would have convinced you.  Not the actual work he’s doing.

Got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

i am not against ceo type at all,,just get great coaches

i believe you.  it's just that there are many poeople who want an offense type coach or a defense type coach when the right guy can manage both sides of the ball.  there are plenty of coordinators that can be hired who know what play to call in specific situations.  this isn't rocket science as much as getting people to do things they ordinarily wouldn't or think they can't.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Please tell me what presence, optics and communications with the media has to do with winning?  How many wins do they provide for a season.  Is this the reason Belichick is a winner, why Shula, Landry etc won? 

On what planet does the GM handle every press conference?  

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

how about Sewell at 2 and Trey Lance or Wilson later in rd 1 

how about James Morgan, a vet and rookie in a competition for the job 

i don't think we have to be concerned that the Jets will fall down the stairs and accidentally give Sam Darnold 25 million dollars.  even if they decline the option and he turns into a star somehow in year 4 they have the tags worst case which is basically like 5th year option  for a QB at 3 overall. it's a huge wad of cash either way, maybe the same top5 average for the position. 

it's more of a concern the Jets draft Fields (or even TL at 2 if he falls) and the dude gets Joe Burrow'ed

As unpopular as it is here, Sewell at 2 and Trey Lance later in the round is great 
but as of right now does Lance last to our Seattle pick?

Trading down to select Rashan Slater and moving up for Trey Lance would be a alternative.

Morgan, Lance and a vet in competition seems right.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Parcells had Charlie Weis call and design the offense and Belichick call and design the defense.  Not sure I can imagine seeing a new HC like Daboll not being more like a Gase where he focuses on the offense and his DC is almost like an equal...

maybe.  some people may see daboll as a one of those bellichiken clones.  but bellichicken probably has his coaches understanding all facets of the game and now daboll is oc for a coach who came from the defensive ranks.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Please tell me what presence, optics and communications with the media has to do with winning?  How many wins do they provide for a season.  Is this the reason Belichick is a winner, why Shula, Landry etc won? 

The Johnsons are losers the NY Jets are losers. 

Any and all damage control they could do through the media would benefit them. 

Acting in the manner they do is unacceptable on any level. 

Promise the fans something deliver or shut the hell up. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Johnsons are losers the NY Jets are losers. 

Any and all damage control they could do through the media would benefit them. 

Acting in the manner they do is unacceptable on any level. 

Promise the fans something deliver or shut the hell up. 

How many wins? Did I miss it?  Thats what I asked. 

I dont get how friggen hard it is to understand that there are owners calls and GM calls as well as those where they both speak.  Doesn't mean anyone isnt communicating to anyone who opens their eyes and ears.

Beauty of all of this is on one hand you whine that they should work with the media on another they doubt down and whine that they need to deliver or shut up!!!

What?  

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The problem now is that Joe Douglas has gone from the quiet nerd in the background to being the front man and the guy responsible for hiring the new head coach.  It doesn't matter who reports to whom.  What matters now is that Joe is going to find himself squarely on the NY media hot seat, the honeymoon is over, they always need a new villain, and that is going to force him to try to win-now with a team that is far from it.

Reporting structure doesn't matter when an owner is this impatient.  The concern now is that Douglas goes full-Maccagnan, loading up on free agents and retreads trying to eke out a respectable 9-7 playoff season to save his own standing when he should be doing the exact opposite.  Having Gase as a punching bag and a fall guy meant Joe Douglas had the luxury of time.  He doesn't now.

SAR I

Are you going back and upvoting all your posts?  

Jets Rewards Points® JetNation Leader - 48,400 

You take this all too seriously

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

you have to have backups with top choices say No.

Jets have had MONTHS to research these coaches cause they knew Gase was gone in October. Research DONE. Its offer and negotiate time in order of who you want. Dont waste tome and lose best guys while you yank you pud

Agreed but the Johnson's seem to love the whole dog and pony show of multiple interviews of the same guy ad nauseam...it's their nature.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Cliches and GM speak would have convinced you.  Not the actual work he’s doing.

Got it.

If we're just going to narrow it down to work and decisions- then if Douglas brings Darnold back as the starter then nothing has really changed. No rationale decision maker who wants to win would do that. I think we all need to be on the same page there. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why wouldn't Joe Douglas lead this call? Calling everything in plain sight a conspiracy doesnt make it one. If he's in charge, let him be in charge. I care a lot more about his opinion on personnel than the owner who we all know has no clue.

The owner needs to conduct the end of season press conference. As a fan, I want to hear from ownership at this time. He hired Gase and he needed to explain why he fired him. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you going back and upvoting all your posts?  

Jets Rewards Points® JetNation Leader - 48,400 

You take this all too seriously

Reminder he is on the so called Advisory Committee hopefully for all those points they send him an autographed picture of Adam Gase he deserves it. 

• Haha 1

We are generally happy with the hiring of JD, but let's remember the history. 

When Idzik took over from Tannenbaum, and then Mac replaced Idzik, many of the scouts remained.  Bradway was around until relatively recently.  

JD was identified as a top candidate, and the Johnsons attempted to execute the usual plan.  JD pushed to get himself paid more (I hear 2x), for a term twice as long, and also got hired a very deep and impressive staff to work with them.  They still drafted Jabari Zuniga, but the Jets' front office is the deepest and most qualified than it has been in recent memory.  He may not be perfect, but JD was the most qualified GM candidate the Jets have hired since Dick Steinberg.  

So what does this all mean?  CJ has made the effort to upgrade the front office, although he initially intended to do it on the cheap.  Let's see what happens with the HC.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Communication doesnt matter. Chris Johnson has this guys. Good grief lol.

If Chris Johnson wants to be the mouthpiece of the organization, I don't really give a sh*t, as long as Joe Douglas is the one pulling the strings and doing the work behind the scenes. I'll judge him on the product that he puts on the field on Sundays, not on what he says or doesn't say to us dipsh*ts.

I feel like you're just being hard-headed and have already made up your mind about JD and are trying desperately to confirm what you already believe.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It's put up or shut up time.  Douglas is determined to improve the culture, well the culture can only improve so much with Sam Darnold here.  Douglas needs the cajones to cut ties with Darnold, draft a new guy, and invest in the o-line and skill positions.  That's how you change the culture.

I agree we don't need to go down the veteran Fitzpatrick/McCown road again, trying to go 9-7 to save face.  Douglas needs to show us he can find the right QB prospect not named Trevor Lawrence who can move the ball downfield.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If we're just going to narrow it down to work and decisions- then if Douglas brings Darnold back as the starter then nothing has really changed. No rationale decision maker who wants to win would do that. I think we all need to be on the same page there. 

There’s no chance Sam is coming back.  Not even remotely a possibility.

52 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How many wins? Did I miss it?  Thats what I asked. 

I dont get how friggen hard it is to understand that there are owners calls and GM calls as well as those where they both speak.  Doesn't mean anyone isnt communicating to anyone who opens their eyes and ears.

Beauty of all of this is on one hand you whine that they should work with the media on another they doubt down and whine that they need to deliver or shut up!!!

What?  

The people whining about this would be the first jumping up and down if Douglas took the presser and CJ didn’t appear. Nothing JD said, such as “ I’ll be leading the search for a new coach “ would be validated until we heard it, and guaged the sincerity of it, from Chris Johnson

some people are only happy complaining 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He solves that problem by drafting a QB at 2.  A Vet, Sam or a T at 2 or trading down absolutely leaves him vulnerable to the media onslaught.

Taking a QB at 2 gives him another free year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

It's put up or shut up time.  Douglas is determined to improve the culture, well the culture can only improve so much with Sam Darnold here.  Douglas needs the cajones to cut ties with Darnold, draft a new guy, and invest in the o-line and skill positions.  That's how you change the culture.

I agree we don't need to go down the veteran Fitzpatrick/McCown road again, trying to go 9-7 to save face.  Douglas needs to show us he can find the right QB prospect not named Trevor Lawrence who can move the ball downfield.

There’s more to culture than simply showing Sam Darnold the door

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

People believe what they want to believe,  proof is right there, this is stuff we' have been talking about for literally a month now.  Maybe if theres 3 of us spouting the info it'll be more believable? lol