Christopher Johnson Press Conf: MERGED

4 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

This part got me a little nervous, but of course he's going to be complimentary of the fair-haired wonder ...

Well, ripping on him in public does no good.  If you want to keep him, it sours the relationship, if you want to trade him, it weakens JDs negotiating power.

• Upvote 4

I will say this. Last time CJ clearly did NOT say the right things, and you could tell he had some half cocked  half measure "plan" to sort of force the situation.

This time it finally seems that CJ realizes he needs a coherent NEW staff. The Johnson's only sort of went half way. Forcing marriages of people that mostly did not work.

Now we have JD and a single vision and the authority to build towards that vision. It still may not work out, but at least we will finally be set up the correct way with people more in step with the direction of the franchise.

• Upvote 2

From my observations, there are two very prominent Johnson Theories of Football Management:

• There is an odd love/hate relationship with first round draft picks.  They don't want to sign them for big second contracts, but also insist on trading them and getting something back for them.  That backfired with Wilkerson.  
  • But they are much more willing to overpay for other teams' picks (Mosley, Bell, Trumaine) or even their own pick after injury, etc. (Revis).  Weird.  
  • I guess every business has a budget, but the Johnsons definitely appear to have tried to limit what they spend on coaching, requiring their HCs to also coordinate, basically.   They took the same approach on GM/Scouting before JD arrived.

Do rather than let Darnold go for a reasonable draft pick, I would expect the Johnsons to try and redeem their investment in him.  

Despite what they say, I am also expecting them to try and avoid the big HC+ spend.  Meyer, Harbaugh will go for big money.  Other coaches-probably less.  

Gase will be on the payroll for over $3mm/year for the next 2 years.  His new job will likely pay him around $1mm. 

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

If we're just going to narrow it down to work and decisions- then if Douglas brings Darnold back as the starter then nothing has really changed. No rationale decision maker who wants to win would do that. I think we all need to be on the same page there. 

The only thing I will agree with you regarding that is I don’t think keeping Sam is the right decision.  That being said, when I made my post on what I heard, I made it very clear that the league, including Douglas, still views Darnold as very talented and salvageable, even if I don’t particularly agree with that sentiment.  I know of one team in particular that has already reached out about his availability and they are currently in the playoffs and have one of the best front offices in the league.  Nothing regarding the Sam decision is owner driven or, before you say it, agent driven.

The big question Douglas will have to answer is whether or not he likes Fields or Wilson enough as prospects to throw Sam away.  He will also need to hire a head coach first and get their input.  Like I said the other day, if Matt Campbell or someone Douglas likes as much as Campbell is offered this job and says “only if I can choose my own QB.” Sam is gone.  That being said, I also know that some of those high tier coaches are Darnold fans so who really knows right now?  Lastly, it’s January 3rd.  A lot of things are going to change over the next few months.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The only thing I will agree with you regarding that is I don’t think keeping Sam is the right decision.  That being said, when I made my post on what I heard, I made it very clear that the league, including Douglas, still views Darnold as very talented and salvageable, even if I don’t particularly agree with that sentiment.  I know of one team in particular that has already reached out about his availability and they are currently in the playoffs and have one of the best front offices in the league.  Nothing regarding the Sam decision is owner driven or, before you say it, agent driven.

The big question Douglas will have to answer is whether or not he likes Fields or Wilson enough as prospects to throw Sam away.  He will also need to hire a head coach first and get their input.  Like I said the other day, if Matt Campbell or someone Douglas likes as much as Campbell is offered this job and says “only if I can choose my own QB.” Sam is gone.  That being said, I also know that some of those high tier coaches are Darnold fans so who really knows right now?  Lastly, it’s January 3rd.  A lot of things are going to change over the next few months.

You throw Darnold away regardless of what they think of the upcoming class. The only positive to keeping Darnold is it would expedite Douglas’ ouster, because keeping him as the starter would predictably fail and next year would be a waste, as you’re not going to fairly evaluate any young skill guys with the worst Qb in the NFL throwing them the ball.

3 years of terrible QB play is more than enough evidence. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Fields or Wilson will cost on average about $8mm/year for the next four years.   Sa, m can be unloaded next year for a $4.6mm savings and could cost $20mm+ going forward, at least if his fifth year option is exercised.  Otherwise, its a wrestling match to get him to agree on a more appropriate salary for 2022.  

Overall, as much as Sam could have potential, I don't think it is worth passing on Fields (or Lawrence) to keep Sam around.   Sam has a better use on another team. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I feel presence, optics, and communication are more important I guess. If Douglas is truly in charge, let him do everything from the press conferences, to the interviews, to the drafts etc. Like a President or a CEO of any franchise would do. The Johnson's should have enough awareness by now to completely remove themselves from everything. The Jets have been losing for too long for the fans to buy what the Johnson's continue to sell. Let Douglas sell the fanbase. Let him be the guy.

The Johnsons are temperamentally incapable of fading into the background. These Lucky Sperm Club guys want everyone to know they are in charge for their own edification. They haven't won anything in 2+ decades, but they aren't remotely sharp enough to be self aware to consider their MO HAS NOT WORKED AT ALL. 

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You throw Darnold away regardless of what they think of the upcoming class. The only positive to keeping Darnold is it would expedite Douglas’ ouster, because keeping him as the starter would predictably fail and next year would be a waste, as you’re not going to fairly evaluate any young skill guys with the worst Qb in the NFL throwing them the ball.

3 years of terrible QB play is more than enough evidence. 

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Fields or Wilson will cost on average about $8mm/year for the next four years.   Sa, m can be unloaded next year for a $4.6mm savings and could cost $20mm+ going forward, at least if his fifth year option is exercised.  Otherwise, its a wrestling match to get him to agree on a more appropriate salary for 2022.  

Overall, as much as Sam could have potential, I don't think it is worth passing on Fields (or Lawrence) to keep Sam around.   Sam has a better use on another team. 

I agree with the both of you.  I’ve already said this many times: what I hear and what I personally want are two different things.

36 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Curious if it’s the one that I think it is. Could I interest you in a game of hot and cold?

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

If Chris Johnson wants to be the mouthpiece of the organization, I don't really give a sh*t, as long as Joe Douglas is the one pulling the strings and doing the work behind the scenes. I'll judge him on the product that he puts on the field on Sundays, not on what he says or doesn't say to us dipsh*ts.

I feel like you're just being hard-headed and have already made up your mind about JD and are trying desperately to confirm what you already believe.

The Johnson's are crappy communicators. Gase was a terrible communicator. Bowles was too. Douglas has been invisible. Maccganan was invisible. Idzik was invisible. The fanbase seems to buy anything, so it is what is is. The product right now is as bad as it's ever been. Since the Jets fail to communicate, us ding dongs are going to continue to speculate. My opinion isnt worth a hill of beans anyways.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Johnson's are crappy communicators. Gase was a terrible communicator. Bowles was too. Douglas has been invisible. Maccganan was invisible. Idzik was invisible. The fanbase seems to buy anything, so it is what is is. The product right now is as bad as it's ever been. Since the Jets fail to communicate, us ding dongs are going to continue to speculate. My opinion isnt worth a hill of beans anyways.

Again, I'm not so needy and entitled that I feel JD owes me an explanation and walk me through every step of what he's thinking.

Whatever they say is going to be PR nonsense that means nothing, or coy misdirection anyway, so what the f*ck does it matter? Like you said, the fans are going to think what they want anyway, as you are so aptly demonstrating. What, do you want a personal call from JD outlining his entire offseason plan?

He'll speak at some point, after which you'll undoubtedly break it apart, declare him a fraud, and pound your chest like you were right all along.

Just let it go and let the man work, ffs

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It's put up or shut up time.  Douglas is determined to improve the culture, well the culture can only improve so much with Sam Darnold here.  Douglas needs the cajones to cut ties with Darnold, draft a new guy, and invest in the o-line and skill positions.  That's how you change the culture.

I agree we don't need to go down the veteran Fitzpatrick/McCown road again, trying to go 9-7 to save face.  Douglas needs to show us he can find the right QB prospect not named Trevor Lawrence who can move the ball downfield.

I'm concerned that all we did today was shift the focus from the lame-duck punch-drunk head coach to the quiet nerd who needs 3 years to rebuild this thing.  And, in doing so, have just put a huge target on his back turning this meek scout into Public Enemy No. 1 when things go south next season.

Johnson clearly still cares too much about perception.  I had hoped that he'd changed, but its not the case.  So in 2021 its going to be back to placating loud fans, overspending in the FA pool, and all the other nonsense that keeps us 6-10 forever and 13-3 never.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

42 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Again, I'm not so needy and entitled that I feel JD owes me an explanation and walk me through every step of what he's thinking.

Whatever they say is going to be PR nonsense that means nothing, or coy misdirection anyway, so what the f*ck does it matter? Like you said, the fans are going to think what they want anyway, as you are so aptly demonstrating. What, do you want a personal call from JD outlining his entire offseason plan?

He'll speak at some point, after which you'll undoubtedly break it apart, declare him a fraud, and pound your chest like you were right all along.

Just let it go and let the man work, ffs

Think that's fair, if you assume Douglas is really running things. Substance does matter more than these bi-annual "We're FINALLY going to get it right!" press conferences.  

Don't like that the Johnsons act like they're 3rd parties to this catastrophe. They are neck deep in a cesspool of incompetence. Simply readily admit based on their track record  I don't like the Johnsons. They should have hired a serious club president a very long time ago, and they did not because it would have made them fade into the background. And they objectively are cheap. Which is why Cowher, Ozzie Newsome, Tony Dungy as club president any time in the last 10 years or Jim Harbaugh as head coach in the coming weeks are all pipe dreams. That would mean 1. spending money and 2. not being center stage. They aren't trustworthy, and they have barely a clue what they're doing. 3 of their last 4 hires (excluding Douglas, we hope) have all been braindead, uninspired and lazy on their part. 

Let's see where they're at March 1st or so. 

Hymie-WHY? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

I wish woody and chris were the ones that would call me talking about my psls that I bought and paid for and about renewing next year

This is actually a clever plan you stumbled on.  We call the Jets, tell them we're planning to add seats or to move to the $40,000 sections but we want to talk to Christopher and Woody directly.  Then we keep them on the phone long enough that they can't participate in the HC hiring process or interviews.  It would be like distracting some dogs with a squirrel running by..... a squirrel interested in PSLs. lol

squirrel GIF

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So in 2021 its going to be back to placating loud fans, overspending in the FA pool, and all the other nonsense that keeps us 6-10 forever and 13-3 never.  

This is highly likely especially when we factor in the Johnson history. But, we’ll see. He mentioned in today’s presser that JD comes from successful franchises. Without saying it, is he basically admitting that his isn’t?
maybe this time ownership will be willing to listen to those whose seen it first hand how to do it right.

Doing it right first starts with the right head coach...HEAD COACH.
I personally don’t wanna see another coordinator at the helm, it’s too hit or miss. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Chris Johnson and his presser can EAD. The team is what, 18-46 since he took over from Woody? Nothing even close to a winning season let alone the playoffs. They’ve had one of the worst 4-year runs in team history since he took over. Spare us the speeches about creating a winner Chris, please. 

New black unis are the fashion equivalent of at least 12-4. 

25 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Think that's fair, if you assume Douglas is really running things. Substance does matter more than these bi-annual "We're FINALLY going to get it right!" press conferences.  

Don't like that the Johnsons act like they're 3rd parties to this catastrophe. They are neck deep in a cesspool of incompetence. Simply readily admit based on their track record  I don't like the Johnsons. They should have hired a serious club president a very long time ago, and they did not because it would have made them fade into the background. And they objectively are cheap. Which is why Cowher, Ozzie Newsome, Tony Dungy as club president any time in the last 10 years or Jim Harbaugh as head coach in the coming weeks are all pipe dreams. That would mean 1. spending money and 2. not being center stage. They aren't trustworthy, and they have barely a clue what they're doing. 3 of their last 4 hires (excluding Douglas, we hope) have all been braindead, uninspired and lazy on their part. 

Hymie-WHY? 

Yeah, I'm giving Douglas the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he's actually going to be in charge. If rumors or evidence to the contrary leak out at some point, then I'll re-evaluate that assumption. I just think it's ridiculous -- and quite frankly, whiny -- to assume that because JD's not embarking on a PR interview tour signing autographs for the beloved fans means he's not really in charge.

And I totally get not trusting the Johnsons to do the smart thing and get their silver-spoon-fed, idiot noses out of the decision-making, but like or not, they're not going anywhere. I'd prefer to believe that maybe -- just maybe -- for once they've chosen to trust the right guy for the job -- Joe Douglas -- and are letting him operate as the de-facto "football president" that we've been begging for for so long, or, at least, as close to that as this franchise has been since maybe Parcells.

Who the HC hire is will be the first important indicator of whether this team is finally heading in the right direction, or still stuck in the same whirlpool of madness and suckitude, with Tweedle Dipsh*t and Tweedle Dumbass at the helm.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He doesn’t even understand

I would hazard a guess that he does understand. Forget about taking the high road, he just doesn't want to come off impolitic IMO. It's smart not to fingerpoint too hard or to blatantly shift blame like Gase has done, especially given his situation. He's conceding his faults but leaving the door open that it's not ALL him. He is only 23, and I'll always be a fan of the maturity level. That and a handful of pennies won't get me on the subway but it should count for something. Imagine if he was Jeff George Lite, it would make me want to punch him in the face the way some of these guys come off. He'll probably find his way and be just fine someplace else, which is a really sad thing for me to type out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

The new uniforms failed like everything else NY Jets. 

WE DESERVE BETTER. 

I like the old ALOT but these new ones are pretty solid. Different but solid. The all-whites sunday looked super ??Even if I prefer the classics

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Bugg said:

Hymie-WHY? 

I have a hunch that last time around the johnsons thought they could do the HC search themselves, douglas was not in the building and they probably didn’t have much respect for mccagnan.  After the abject failure of the gase hire, CJ seems like he’s finally acknowledging that the johnsons shouldn’t be driving the bus.  And also i think they understnd that douglas should be.  Two good things.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Whether darnold is ‘savlageable’ or not is secondary to the jets’ issues.  The jets are not a team to try and salvage someone.  They have no system or structure in place and certainly no coaching to try to fix darnold.  Maybe the Steelers which is the team i suspect you’re implying here.

Odds are there is a qb at 2 who douglas feels comfortable building around.  Most qb prospects aren’t perfect and we just saw burrow and Herbert come in and do quite well for rookies.  It’s time for the jets and us to move on from the darnold hope, get what you can and start anew.  If a team like the Steelers can ‘salvage’ darnold I’ll be rooting for him just not against us.  Truth i don’t think darnold will ever threaten to be a top 15 qb, he just doesn’t have the innate accuracy that the top qbs have and teaching someone to really read defenses doesn’t happen overnight.

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm concerned that all we did today was shift the focus from the lame-duck punch-drunk head coach to the quiet nerd who needs 3 years to rebuild this thing.  And, in doing so, have just put a huge target on his back turning this meek scout into Public Enemy No. 1 when things go south next season.

Johnson clearly still cares too much about perception.  I had hoped that he'd changed, but its not the case.  So in 2021 its going to be back to placating loud fans, overspending in the FA pool, and all the other nonsense that keeps us 6-10 forever and 13-3 never.  

SAR I

This is patently ridiculous. 

Sorry you were so wrong for the last couple years about Gase.  It's not our fault you were wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Rob Moore said:

I don’t know what kind of conference calls you’re used to Joe, but they usually involve lots of talking and very little action.  It’s pretty much the definition of a conference call, so I’m not totally sure what you’re expecting my friend.

He was thinking it was an action call.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What does this even mean?  Who communicates and tells their fanbase what they're doing as a model?  Jerry Jones, to a fault because he thinks hes the star of Dallas.  How about the Pats?  The Steelers?  Ravens?  Who are the teams you want the Jets to model?  Because I dont see the difference here between the talk out of the Jets and others.