Jump to content

Sam Darnold Year End Press Conference


Recommended Posts

I think he'll get another shot.  And we will find out just how much of his problems were due to having two of the worst head coaches in NFL history over his first three years, and how much are fully on him.  I'm not betting against him just yet.  The game planning from Bowles and Gase were truly horrible for any QB to overcome, let alone a rookie/young QB.  Just look at Tannehill during and after Gase.  Coincidence?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to see Sam Darnold succeed here like any other NY Jets fan.  I thought he was the kid who could win us a Super Bowl.  He is a class act on and off the field. He has been a bad

Say what you want about Sam's talent, he is a class act.  Some of the Q's were trap Q's and he took the all the blame on himself for the offensive woe's.

Anyone: "I'll have to look at the tape." Me:

Posted Images

It amazes me how many Jets fans/woke #JetsTwitter analysts have literally convinced themselves the Jets will move on from Sam simply because that's what they what the Jets to do. The "goodbye Sam" posts are ignorant to the very real possibility that Sam will be back. 

Without any knowledge of who the coaching staff will be, I'd put it at 60-40 Sam will be back.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, football guy said:

It amazes me how many Jets fans/woke #JetsTwitter analysts have literally convinced themselves the Jets will move on from Sam simply because that's what they what the Jets to do. The "goodbye Sam" posts are ignorant to the very real possibility that Sam will be back. 

Without any knowledge of who the coaching staff will be, I'd put it at 60-40 Sam will be back.

Yeah just like we didn't KNOW Gase was a goner.....except 80% of us did know.  Ignorant is a bit harsh, isn't it?   Kettle pot ring a bell?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds higher Sam returns than getting traded.  I'm in the trade the 2nd for a haul and continue to build camp.

Not sure how many times it needs to be said but you don't have to excercise the 5th year option to bring him back.

Let him play next year and if he fails you'll have potentially 3 first round picks in 22' to get a QB.  If he succeeds JD will have incredible ammunition in the next 2 drafts to fill the team with top notch talent.

Injuries, turnover in roster year to year, and horrific coaching.  Thats what Darnold has dealt with the last 2 years in particular.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Yeah just like we didn't KNOW Gase was a goner.....except 80% of us did know.  Ignorant is a bit harsh, isn't it?   Kettle pot ring a bell?  

I don't see the comparison. Point I'm trying to drive is how so many speak in absolutes that disregard fact. 

A better comparison: declaring with conviction that Adam Gase would be fired last offseason. It was never going to happen. Everything was structured around Gase getting 2 seasons to prove he was worthy of being the long-term option, with Douglas having the opportunity to align himself with his own coach for 4 years (5 drafts) if Gase were to fail. Gase failed, he got fired.

Sure fans were right to say that Gase should have been fired last offseason (or to say that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place), but it was ignorant to the facts to say it would happen last offseason with such conviction. The Joe Caporosos and Connor Rogers of the world were literally just trying to speak it into existence by week 6 of 2019...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't see the comparison. Point I'm trying to drive is how so many speak in absolutes that disregard fact. 

A better comparison: declaring with conviction that Adam Gase would be fired last offseason. It was never going to happen. Everything was structured around Gase getting 2 seasons to prove he was worthy of being the long-term option, with Douglas having the opportunity to align himself with his own coach for 4 years (5 drafts) if Gase were to fail. Gase failed, he got fired.

Sure fans were right to say that Gase should have been fired last offseason (or to say that he shouldn't have been hired in the first place), but it was ignorant to the facts to say it would happen last offseason with such conviction. The Joe Caporosos and Connor Rogers of the world were literally just trying to speak it into existence by week 6 of 2019...

The difference is that we have the #2 pick in the draft 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, QB1 said:

The difference is that we have the #2 pick in the draft 

That doesn't change the fact that people are making statements with absolute conviction that the Jets will be moving on from Darnold when the reality is quite the contrary. People are ignoring the very real scenario of Darnold returning simply because they don't want him to. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, football guy said:

That doesn't change the fact that people are making statements with absolute conviction that the Jets will be moving on from Darnold when the reality is quite the contrary. People are ignoring the very real scenario of Darnold returning simply because they don't want him to. 

I agree that the Jets/JDs perception of Darnold is much higher than the fans. Under other circumstances we would strongly be considering having him back. I don’t think JD wants to get rid of Sam per se, but holding the 2nd pick changes everything. You can’t take the additional risk of passing on a QB and having Sam flame out. If we were picking 9... different story.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's going to be an interesting offseason.  The players love sam, and there are many in the building that still very much believe in him as the quarterback of the future for this team.  Theres a lot of time between now and the draft, and a new HC will have a big say in what happens at the position, but as of this moment I would believe that he will be back as the QB of this team next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Darnold was a victim of this organizations incompetence.   His play has also victimized this team.  

Darnold was a victim of a good Penn State game and overhype period.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If class got you into the hall of fame, Darnold is a unanimous first ballot hall of famer. I have zero questions about his character in and out of the locker room. Why couldn't he be good, at least for us? He is young enough and has enough natural talent for him to eventually find his game on another team. It's not unprecedented to see a guy improve his game and have a career renaissance. It's also possible that I like him too much as a person and I want to see him succeed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

It's going to be an interesting offseason.  The players love sam, and there are many in the building that still very much believe in him as the quarterback of the future for this team.  Theres a lot of time between now and the draft, and a new HC will have a big say in what happens at the position, but as of this moment I would believe that he will be back as the QB of this team next year. 

Honestly anyone defending the leagues worst QB sense entering the league opinion is truly irrelevant. And I say this because there are worst situations in the NFL for a QB like New England, Miami,  Cincinnati, Baltimore( ONLY the receiving core, we have a better one or equal, talent level wise)

Rookies have been entering the league and out playing Darnold every year he’s been in the league. When I see Joe Burrow’s freaking backup light the town up... I know the #3 overall QB we have, is a complete bust 🤷‍♂️
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Honestly anyone defending the leagues worst QB sense entering the league opinion is truly irrelevant. And I say this because there are worst situations in the NFL for a QB like New England, Miami,  Cincinnati, Baltimore( ONLY the receiving core, we have a better one or equal, talent level wise)

Rookies have been entering the league and out playing Darnold every year he’s been in the league. When I see Joe Burrow’s freaking backup light the town up... I know the #3 overall QB we have, is a complete bust 🤷‍♂️
 

 

He very well may be a complete bust, I am just purely stating the facts that there are many people, not only in this organization but also the NFL, that feel otherwise.  Whether or not we as fans believe that to be true or not does not change that fact.  

You can show all the stats in the world, claim every reason possible, and preach to the high heavens on this message board that Darnold is a bust and the worst QB in the league.. It does not change the plain simple fact that there are many in the organization and NFL that feel different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He very well may be a complete bust, I am just purely stating the facts that there are many people, not only in this organization but also the NFL, that feel otherwise.  Whether or not we as fans believe that to be true or not does not change that fact.  

You can show all the stats in the world, claim every reason possible, and preach to the high heavens on this message board that Darnold is a bust and the worst QB in the league.. It does not change the plain simple fact that there are many in the organization and NFL that feel different.

Read the article posted by nycdan. Then maybe you and others will understand why people in the league feel differently about Sam, than posters on a football forum 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

He very well may be a complete bust, I am just purely stating the facts that there are many people, not only in this organization but also the NFL, that feel otherwise.  Whether or not we as fans believe that to be true or not does not change that fact.  

You can show all the stats in the world, claim every reason possible, and preach to the high heavens on this message board that Darnold is a bust and the worst QB in the league.. It does not change the plain simple fact that there are many in the organization and NFL that feel different.

In your opinion, would keeping Sam be perceived as a negative for HC candidates?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

In your opinion, would keeping Sam be perceived as a negative for HC candidates?

I think it really depends on the candidate.  From what I've heard there are definitely some that like him a lot and I am sure there will be some that would prefer to draft their own QB fresh.  I couldn't tell you one way or the other with certainty if it would be a negative or positive.  It truly will be a personal preference for the candidate. 

I should also say that I do not believe either moving on from or keeping Sam will be talked about as an etched in stone decision in the interviews.  If a top candidate wants to keep him or move on, then that discussion will be heard and a collaborative decision will be made if hired.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, genot said:

Read the article posted by nycdan. Then maybe you and others will understand why people in the league feel differently about Sam, than posters on a football forum 

I don't have any false notions of why others in the league feel the way they do about Darnold. 

I completely understand why they do, and I fully believe that he can be fixed.  I just am unsure if it is best to keep him and attempt to fix him here or if parting ways and having a clean slate is better for both parties.  

That is my personal opinion on the matter, what I believe the jets will do and what I think are two different things.  

Personally I am unsure if it is better for the jets to keep him and attempt to fix his flaws, or if it is better to trade him to another team better equipped to do so now and have a clean slate for everyone involved. 

However, I do believe the jets and douglas are leaning towards keeping him, I say that with the caveat that obviously it is early and the HC they hire and the predraft process can change a lot of things. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think it really depends on the candidate.  From what I've heard there are definitely some that like him a lot and I am sure there will be some that would prefer to draft their own QB fresh.  I couldn't tell you one way or the other with certainty if it would be a negative or positive.  It truly will be a personal preference for the candidate. 

I should also say that I do not believe either moving on from or keeping Sam will be talked about as an etched in stone decision in the interviews.  If a top candidate wants to keep him or move on, then that discussion will be heard and a collaborative decision will be made if hired.  

To this point, I think it's interesting that the first "stated" interviews are all going to be with current NFL guys. JD seems pretty plugged in around the NFL, and probably has a pretty good feel for what the league in general feels about Sam. However, being able to hear it over the course of an interview, talking with coaches , some of whom have had to prepare to face him, should really add an important element to the discussion on Sam. All these candidates will be presenting their visions for the future of this team, and right now, Sam, one way or the other, is a huge part of that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, section314 said:

To this point, I think it's interesting that the first "stated" interviews are all going to be with current NFL guys. JD seems pretty plugged in around the NFL, and probably has a pretty good feel for what the league in general feels about Sam. However, being able to hear it over the course of an interview, talking with coaches , some of whom have had to prepare to face him, should really add an important element to the discussion on Sam. All these candidates will be presenting their visions for the future of this team, and right now, Sam, one way or the other, is a huge part of that.

1000% accurate.  JD is extremely smart, and by all accounts has an opinion already on what he wants to do, however he is open to all discussions.  I have heard rough numbers on the Jets list of candidates, some as high as 14 names, but its always stressed that only about 5-8 are realistically in the running at most.  Which means there are many that are being brought in by JD to get opinions on the teams situation.  This is a very common practice in the NFL and shouldn't be looked at as odd in any way. 

You cast a wide net like this 1) because you never know, and sometimes a guy surprises you in an interview, and 2) like you said it is great to get opinions and pick the brains of people that have faced your team, scouted, and created a game plan around your weaknesses.  

If you look at some of the younger candidates that are perceived to not be high up on the list (like an eberflus, or staley) have coached against the jets this year, so that perspective will be useful. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't seem to link it but Kiper said on ESPN this morning that he does not see the Jets taking Fields at 2 and we will stick with Darnold.

Advocates a trade and if no one comes up to take Sewell.

Yeah yeah Kiper I'm just telling you what he said.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Can't seem to link it but Kiper said on ESPN this morning that he does not see the Jets taking Fields at 2 and we will stick with Darnold.

Advocates a trade and if no one comes up to take Sewell.

Yeah yeah Kiper I'm just telling you what he said.  

I saw that as well, although the idea of Cincy coming up from 5 to 2 for Sewell is unrealistic.

If it comes down to trading down, I'm looking at picks 7-10, which will definitely net us a much better return 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I don't have any false notions of why others in the league feel the way they do about Darnold. 

I completely understand why they do, and I fully believe that he can be fixed.  I just am unsure if it is best to keep him and attempt to fix him here or if parting ways and having a clean slate is better for both parties.  

That is my personal opinion on the matter, what I believe the jets will do and what I think are two different things.  

Personally I am unsure if it is better for the jets to keep him and attempt to fix his flaws, or if it is better to trade him to another team better equipped to do so now and have a clean slate for everyone involved. 

However, I do believe the jets and douglas are leaning towards keeping him, I say that with the caveat that obviously it is early and the HC they hire and the predraft process can change a lot of things. 

I think you have to look at the risk, reward, of keeping Darnold, or trading down. If we draft a QB, at #2, and he busts, we're screwed. If we keep Darnold and trade down, we have a lot more options in the draft to actually fill holes with players JD might have a strong conviction about. If Darnold was 26, or older, then the question on what he should do is a lot easier. He' s only a year older than Wilson, and two years older than Feilds. Makes it an easier decision for him, considering who he' s had coaching him the last two years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, genot said:

I think you have to look at the risk, reward, of keeping Darnold, or trading down. If we draft a QB, at #2, and he busts, we're screwed. If we keep Darnold and trade down, we have a lot more options in the draft to actually fill holes with players JD might have a strong conviction about. If Darnold was 26, or older, then the question on what he should do is a lot easier. He' s only a year older than Wilson, and two years older than Feilds. Makes it an easier decision for him, considering who he' s had coaching him the last two years.

Theres risk with any pick. If they are taking a QB at 2, they feel that that is their franchise quarterback.  You dont take a QB at 2 with the worry that they will bust. I believe its more of a matter of what JD feels is the way to go about constructing a roster, while the high grades he had on Sam coming out also play a factor.  

JD wants to construct a well developed team, not just make sure he has his franchise quarterback, and as it stands may feel he already has him in an undercoached Darnold.   That being said, again, the new HC and the pre draft process will play heavily into what every decision is made.   As of right now with all the information available, no coach, and the rest college season still left to be played, I believe they are leaning towards keeping Darnold and moving down.  Anything can change as this process unfolds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans talking themselves into a fourth year of the worst QB in the NFL while we have the 2nd pick in the draft and a legit QB prospect that would have been the #1OA pick any year without Trevor Lawrence is really something else. This is basically going to be passing on Deshaun Watson part 2 in three years

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, football guy said:

That doesn't change the fact that people are making statements with absolute conviction that the Jets will be moving on from Darnold when the reality is quite the contrary. People are ignoring the very real scenario of Darnold returning simply because they don't want him to. 

What’s worse than giving Sam another year? Drafting a bust. 
 

Douglas isn’t drafting Fields or Wilson unless he’s absolutely sold on either.

My own opinion is that pick should be Wilson, but keeping Sam and trading down (considering how much this team needs) isn’t like some insane option.

Buffalo did that and now everyone is wishing we had the GM/Coach/Tea. that Buffalo has. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

If you trade down this year - you have three 1sts in 2022. You trade one of those picks and you might have 3 again after that.

I seriously doubt given how Baltimore and Philly both win their super bowls, Douglas is going to rush panic drafting a QB. Wilson or Fields might blow him away. 
 

But he isn’t drafting one just because we’re at 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Theres risk with any pick. If they are taking a QB at 2, they feel that that is their franchise quarterback.  You dont take a QB at 2 with the worry that they will bust. I believe its more of a matter of what JD feels is the way to go about constructing a roster, while the high grades he had on Sam coming out also play a factor.  

JD wants to construct a well developed team, not just make sure he has his franchise quarterback, and as it stands may feel he already has him in an undercoached Darnold.   That being said, again, the new HC and the pre draft process will play heavily into what every decision is made.   As of right now with all the information available, no coach, and the rest college season still left to be played, I believe they are leaning towards keeping Darnold and moving down.  Anything can change as this process unfolds. 

I agree.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I wanted to see Sam Darnold succeed here like any other NY Jets fan. 

I thought he was the kid who could win us a Super Bowl. 

He is a class act on and off the field.

He has been a bad NFL QB here. 

He has done nothing right and is bad in all aspects of the game. 

He is a turnover machine. 

He makes too many mistakes. 

Time to move on. 

I don't think anyone can fix all that's wrong. 

I wish him luck. 

All of this ..... I'm sick and tired of hearing Jets QB's say "Its a process"  There are no 3-4 year processes. Year one parts of year 2 I'm ok with a process of learning the playbook and how to read defenses anything more than that and it's simply not happening. When there are major flaws in the way you play the game along with the so called process that's a big problem. Sam is a great kid and I believe he puts in the work but when play on the field does not show any improvement over a 3 year span that's a big problem.

When I saw Sam actually fix some of his mechanical flaws I was very Impressed He stopped throwing off his back foot he started stepping up into the pocket rather than bailing and he ran the ball at times when it was needed. Those are all really good accomplishments but if you are still ranked 31 in the NFL there is really nothing more that needs to be said.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

What’s worse than giving Sam another year? Drafting a bust.

Tannenbaum got stuck because of the three years he spent dicking around before moving up for Sanchez more than because Sanchez was a bust. The Jets are stuck now because of the three years Maccagnan spent dicking around before moving up for Darnold more than because Darnold is a bust. Douglas has been dicking around for two years more or less by design and already has the second pick. This is not rocket science. You always wind up doing something out of desperation while you're waiting for the better opportunity to come along.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Theres risk with any pick. If they are taking a QB at 2, they feel that that is their franchise quarterback.  You dont take a QB at 2 with the worry that they will bust. I believe its more of a matter of what JD feels is the way to go about constructing a roster, while the high grades he had on Sam coming out also play a factor.  

JD wants to construct a well developed team, not just make sure he has his franchise quarterback, and as it stands may feel he already has him in an undercoached Darnold.   That being said, again, the new HC and the pre draft process will play heavily into what every decision is made.   As of right now with all the information available, no coach, and the rest college season still left to be played, I believe they are leaning towards keeping Darnold and moving down.  Anything can change as this process unfolds. 

It's apparent by all accounts that Darnold hasn't shown much improvement. The question I would have is there a conceivable explanation as to why he hasn't been better coached? I doubt the team hasn't tried to get him better, but why is his footwork still bad? Why is the decision-making and vision as far as what to look for still poor? How much of that is Sam just hasn't put the right kind of work in and how much is that he just defaults to what he's comfortable with in pressure situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Tannenbaum got stuck because of the three years he spent dicking around before moving up for Sanchez more than because Sanchez was a bust. The Jets are stuck now because of the three years Maccagnan spent dicking around before moving up for Darnold more than because Darnold is a bust. Douglas has been dicking around for two years more or less by design and already has the second pick. This is not rocket science. You always wind up doing something out of desperation while you're waiting for the better opportunity to come along.

Well the difference here is Douglas won’t be giving Darnold any big contract this year like Sanchez got.

Also, the option of trading down from 2 to have 3 firsts next year sort of alleviates fear of not being in a draft able position for a new QB to replace Sam.

My own opinion is simple and strong. Draft Wilson. If not, Draft Fields.

I just dont think its insane to keep sam + trade down. But keeping sam + staying at 2...now thats insane. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Well the difference here is Douglas won’t be giving Darnold any big contract this year like Sanchez got.

Also, the option of trading down from 2 to have 3 firsts next year sort of alleviates fear of not being in a draft able position for a new QB to replace Sam.

My own opinion is simple and strong. Draft Wilson. If not, Draft Fields.

I just dont think its insane to keep sam + trade down. But keeping sam + staying at 2...now thats insane. 

There's a good quarterback besides Trevor Lawrence in this draft and it's Douglas's job to find him and pick him at 2. Mangini kicked the can on Pennington and took half measures like Clemens instead of pulling the trigger on Cutler or Flacco. Idzik kicked the can on Sanchez and took half measures like Smith instead of pulling the trigger on Bridgewater. Those guys didn't even get the chance to take a wild swing in year four.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...