Chargers Request interview with Garrett

Garret is a better HC than people give him credit for. He picks good assistants, delegates and is willing to change and adapt. I don't think people realize what a circus the cowboys really are. There are a ton of distractions and obligations for the HC and team aside from football to keep the entertainment spectacle that is the Cowboys pumping out the green. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Funny.  I have a friend whose a Giants fan and complains about him daily.  I don't follow the Giants so no idea if this is true.

I'm sure fans of every team have some commonalities. Namely, if a highly-drafted QB is sucking, it must be the organization that failed him in some way.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The Chargers job is the best situation out there right now.  As long as Garrett retains Hamilton as QB coach I wouldn’t worry about a regression from Herbert.  That team won 7 games this year and easily could have been an 11 win team.  They have a QB, weapons around him, great pass rush.  Add some o-line depth and you’ll be in the playoffs next season. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Chargers job is the best situation out there right now.  As long as Garrett retains Hamilton as QB coach I wouldn’t worry about a regression from Herbert.  That team won 7 games this year and easily could have been an 11 win team.  They have a QB, weapons around him, great pass rush.  Add some o-line depth and you’ll be in the playoffs next season. 

I would say #2, behind Atlanta, but your post is spot on about their team. Also, wasn't the Chargers job the one that Harbough would be most interested in if it became open?

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Garrett did a pretty darn good job with 4th rounder Dak. Bet Jerry wishes he was still HC of the 'Boys.

Garrett is a good football coach and Jerry was his biggest obstacle, the control freak that he is. I think Garrett could be a damn good HC without that Idiot looming over his every decision. It's very hard to lead when you have someone like that ego maniac in the background

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

I would say #2, behind Atlanta, but your post is spot on about their team. Also, wasn't the Chargers job the one that Harbough would be most interested in if it became open?

Atlanta? Aren't they an old team? 

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

I would assume the Chargers would interest anyone who is contemplating coaching in the NFL.  Plus, I think the Chargers defense is far and away better than Atlanta’s and you have your QB on his rookie deal.  It’s as good of a situation as you can get for team that just fired their HC IMO.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, extmenace said:

In hindsight, looking at what Garrett did with the cowboys might be considered impressive today. 

Two of our worst options in 2018 were Gase and McCarthy.  Unfortunately we ended up with one of them.

It has become blatantly obvious that the Packers success was 95% due to Aaron Rodgers.  The dude will likely win MVP this year and almost made the Super Bowl last year as soon as McCarthy left.

The joke I used to tell was that the Packers would show up for training camp in 2017 and get their playbooks, then notice that 75% of pages had some print in the footer of the page that said, "July 2006."

The dude is a dinosaur IMO.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I would assume the Chargers would interest anyone who is contemplating coaching in the NFL.  Plus, I think the Chargers defense is far and away better than Atlanta’s and you have your QB on his rookie deal.  It’s as good of a situation as you can get for team that just fired their HC IMO.  

My reason for saying Atlanta is Arthur Blank. Just look around the league, and it's hard to find anyone that would be a better owner to work for. He will give you everything you need to succeed, and basically just gets out of the way.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

My reason for saying Atlanta is Arthur Blank. Just look around the league, and it's hard to find anyone that would be a better owner to work for. He will give you everything you need to succeed, and basically just gets out of the way.

True, from an ownership standpoint Blank is among the best.  The Spanos family stays out of the football stuff for the most part, other than screwing up the whole move to LA.   

Just now, sec101row23 said:

True, from an ownership standpoint Blank is among the best.  The Spanos family stays out of the football stuff for the most part, other than screwing up the whole move to LA.   

Yes, our order is reversed, but I'd agree these would be the two top spots if I were on the HC list.

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Two of our worst options in 2018 were Gase and McCarthy.  Unfortunately we ended up with one of them.

It has become blatantly obvious that the Packers success was 95% due to Aaron Rodgers.  The dude will likely win MVP this year and almost made the Super Bowl last year as soon as McCarthy left.

The joke I used to tell was that the Packers would show up for training camp in 2017 and get their playbooks, then notice that 75% of pages had some print in the footer of the page that said, "July 2006."

The dude is a dinosaur IMO.

Not a surprise that our two final candidates were the only guys who had two choices themselves: (1) accept Jets job with lowish salary and pre-conditions of assistant veto rights for owner; or (2) sit on couch.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Garret is a better HC than people give him credit for. He picks good assistants, delegates and is willing to change and adapt. I don't think people realize what a circus the cowboys really are. There are a ton of distractions and obligations for the HC and team aside from football to keep the entertainment spectacle that is the Cowboys pumping out the green. 

So many distractions...

c6c0f935b065a16b2ab63841b38b252c.thumb.jpg.adb81f3bbf43dc02247248e2abc63c90.jpg