NFL Overhaul Tiers, ESPN + thinks Jets have more talent than Record

hokiejetfan92

New York Jets

2020 record: 2-14
Average age of roster in 2020: 26.1
Projected 2021 cap space: $69,385,570
Big-ticket free agent: Marcus Maye
Low-key important free agent: Breshad Perriman

Priorities this offseason: Make sure the new coach develops a strong relationship with general manager Joe Douglas. Those two must coexist harmoniously. Draft the quarterback of the future at No. 2 overall, then decide if trading Sam Darnold for a midround pick is worth it. Otherwise, keep Darnold one more year to see what he has. Upgrade the playmaker and defensive back spots through the draft.

"Really, they had enough talent to be a five- to six-win team this [past year] if they stayed healthy," an AFC scout said. "That's probably where they should have been. It's a rebuild, but there's talent there."

Jacksonville Jaguars

2020 record: 1-15
Average age of starters in 2020: 26
Projected 2021 cap space: $76,227,279
Big-ticket free agent: Cam Robinson
Low-key important free agent: Sidney Jones

Priorities this offseason: Go all-in now. Use the more than $75 million in cap space and those 10 draft picks (including two first-rounders) to approach fringe contention sooner than later. After 44 regular-season wins over the past decade, try anything.

"They have a chance to get good in a hurry," one NFL personnel man said. "Might not be 2021, but in the next two years, for sure."

This team has bigger problems than quarterback, which will be solved by selecting Trevor Lawrence No. 1 overall. It needs upgrades all over. The offensive line is a strength, so re-signing Robinson to shore up the left tackle spot makes sense. Linebacker and running back are solid. But most spots simply aren't good enough. Replenish everything, and get the right coach to foster the talent.

New York Giants

2020 record: 6-10
Average age of roster in 2020: 26.4
Projected 2021 cap space: $9,593,258
Big-ticket free agent: Leonard Williams
Low-key important free agent: Wayne Gallman

Priorities this offseason: Spark the offense with new concepts and talent. If the Giants are sticking with Daniel Jones for a third season, he needs more receivers who can beat man coverage consistently, one more running back and some new ideas for how to make it all work. Ranking next to last in total offense doesn't bode well for offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Attempting to re-sign Evan Engram now is a prudent move. When modest stats don't match the elite talent -- he does not have an 800-yard season since entering the league in 2017 -- that's usually good for the team in negotiations.

New England Patriots

2020 record: 7-9
Average age of roster in 2020: 26.9
Projected 2021 cap space: $51,092,197
Big-ticket free agent: Joe Thuney
Low-key important free agent: James White

Priorities this offseason: Watching the 2020 Patriots was painful for those who like a semblance of offense on Sundays. Bill Belichick can attack the offseason by adding playmakers at several spots. Free agency is well-stocked with wide receivers. From high-end options (Allen Robinson) to that next tier (Corey Davis, T.Y. Hilton), the Patriots should gauge prices on all of them.

And there will be plenty of capable veteran quarterbacks out there. The Patriots would be wise to explore deals for Carson Wentz, Stafford or Garoppolo. For a cheaper option, former Patriot Jacoby Brissett will be a free agent. All of these options are probably better than a Cam Newton-led passing game that ranked 30th in the NFL this season.

Miami Dolphins

2020 record: 10-6
Average age of roster in 2020: 25.8
Projected 2020 cap space: $24,864,768
Big-ticket free agent: Ryan Fitzpatrick
Low-key important free agent: Elandon Roberts

Priorities this offseason: With the No. 3 overall pick staring Miami in the face thanks to the Laremy Tunsil trade with Houston, the NFL is about to find out how the Dolphins really feel about Tua Tagovailoa. Justin Fields or Zach Wilson could be available to Miami as part of a talented draft class. Doing extensive homework on that class and weighing the pros and cons of riding with Tagovailoa in Year 2 is crucial for Miami's success.

Tagovailoa did some good things, and he might be the long-term answer, but the truth is Miami would trade out of that third spot without hesitation if Justin Herbert were its quarterback. Either way, the one-year Chan Gailey experiment at OC might be over. And the quarterback in 2021 needs more dynamic pass-catchers to stretch the field vertically and maybe one more solid lineman. Otherwise, this roster is well-positioned for contention right now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30651703/nfl-overhaul-tiers-which-teams-look-most-different-2021

As horrible as this season was (part of it was the media narrative), the Jets were not nearly as bad as they seemed. All the injuries and organizational disfunction led to the mess that was. If Douglas gets these picks right and makes a few right FA moves, this team could be a playoff contender sooner than a lot of us think.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

They got holes but with the right mix of free agents (Thuney/Allen Robinson) and move McGovern over to RG & maybe a trade or 2 to acquire players on cap strapped teams (Saints/Marshon Lattimore or Micheal Thomas), draft (Fields/ Deshon Moore/Josh Myers.), 

I think they go 2 offensive, 2 defensive in free agency near top tier. Guard, Edge, WR, CB. Joe Douglas will bring in again, guys he knows 2nd tier & they will be LBs with speed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, I mean the team lost three games by blowing 4th quarter leads (Denver, NE, and Las Vegas) that were almost impossible to lose. 

If we had beaten the Bronocs and Patriots earlier in the season, we would have been losing the Lawrence race a lot earlier and the "worst team ever" narrative wouldn't have been much of a thing.

At the same time, this doesn't really mean all that much. Whether we are 5-11 or 2-14, the fact remains that we need more talent and better coaching. Gase would still be gone, we would still need a new QB, and we would still have the longest playoff drought in the league. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure I would agree that Perriman is a "low key important free agent."  Averaged about 2.5 receptions and 40 yards per game.  He ended the season 4th in receptions (2nd in yards), behind Crowder, Herndon and Berrios.  If we can re-sign him as a potential 4th/5th WR, that is fine, but we can't bring him back counting on him to be a top 3 WR.  And if he walks, I would not consider it an important loss. 

Yea, settling on Perriman and the WRs he didn't pick in the draft led me to believe that the tank was on this past year.

18 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not sure I would agree that Perriman is a "low key important free agent."  Averaged about 2.5 receptions and 40 yards per game.  He ended the season 4th in receptions (2nd in yards), behind Crowder, Herndon and Berrios.  If we can re-sign him as a potential 4th/5th WR, that is fine, but we can't bring him back counting on him to be a top 3 WR.  And if he walks, I would not consider it an important loss. 

I think the importance is that they don't pay him too much.  He has some value, but I don't much like him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, peebag said:

Yea, settling on Perriman and the WRs he didn't pick in the draft led me to believe that the tank was on this past year.

Not gonna say the tank was on, that term is a fan invention.  But once JD agreed to trade Adams in exchange for assets that had no value in 2020, he clearly was not putting a priortiy on winning this season.  I don't think he went into the season thinking 2-14.  More likely he was hoping Darnold would take a step, Perriman would be the #1 WR he looked like at the end of last season, couple of the other low risk OL signings would work out and maybe he could piece together a decent team.  And then use the picks for Adams to contend in 21 & 22.

We were built as a team with no margin for error, and between Sam's regression, OL struggles, injuries, lack of pass rush, vet DBs not working out, the team we fielded was awful.  I still have confidence in Douglas, but the first line on his resume is still 2-14.  And that is ugly.

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

I really think this guy will be an important part going forward. Thought he had a very nice year.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

I really think this guy will be an important part going forward. Thought he had a very nice year.

No offense, but if  fringe player like Berrios is "important", then J.D. has simply not done his job rebuilding this team.

Berrios is no Chrebet, he really is fringe for an NFL player, and likely should be a special teamer at most.  

I fully expect a revamped WR room next year, with some legit #1 type talents and our current guys at #2/#3 at best.

• Upvote 2

The NFL is watered down big time, so going from a top 2 pick to the playoffs the next season isn't exactly mission impossible anymore. The last two seasons the team picking #2 overall has made the playoffs the following season. 49ers in 2019 made the Super Bowl and the Washington Football Team in 2020 won the NFC East. The NFC East was a garbage division this season, but this little 2 year streak of the team picking 2nd overall in the NFL Draft making the playoffs  the following season fits my Jets making the playoffs in 2021 narrative. Yes I know we haven't made the playoffs in a decade, but I like the direction of the franchise right now. I'll admit I'm a homer at this time of year and don't face reality until around mid October, but I really believe the Jets are going to challenge for the playoffs in 2021. Cheers to the Jets keeping the streak alive for teams picking 2nd overall making the playoffs the following season. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No offense, but if  fringe player like Berrios is "important", then J.D. has simply not done his job rebuilding this team.

Berrios is no Chrebet, he really is fringe for an NFL player, and likely should be a special teamer at most.  

I fully expect a revamped WR room next year, with some legit #1 type talents and our current guys at #2/#3 at best.

Cole Beasley was a pretty big part of the Bills offense this year.  Is there any reason to that Berrios shouldn't have as good a career?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I see your point, and maybe the word should have been useful. 37/394/10.7/3 tds  not a bad year. Just think the guy showed he can play, and is a guy who can help.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets do have more talent than their record.  This wasn't a team that should be losing so many games by double-digit points.  It was a 4-ish win team that should have been much more competitive in their games.  Bad coaching, inconsistent/bad QB play, injuries all factored into it.

So what you’re saying is they had more talent than the two wins they posted?  😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cole Beasley was a pretty big part of the Bills offense this year.  Is there any reason to that Berrios shouldn't have as good a career?  

Yes, he's not Cole Beasley.

And we can (and should) do better.

Our 2021 WR Room should IMO looks like say, Olave, Rodgers, Mims, Crowder, Perriman (or some equal-level FA or veteran depth). 

i.e. Young and very talented with huge upside.  No more complains about our weapons.

Where do you see Berrios fitting in there, as the #5 or #6 WR?  Surely not as a kick returner, he wasn't very good at that.

I mean really, beyond the "Maybe he is the next Chrebet" cliche so common in Jets Fandom, do you really see Berrios competing for a WR slot with playing time on a materially improved Jets roster?

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, he's not Cole Beasley.

And we can (and should) do better.

Our 2021 WR Room should IMO looks like say, Olave, Rodgers, Mims, Perriman (or some equal-level FA or veteran depth). 

i.e. Young and very talented with huge upside.  No more complains about our weapons.

Where do you see Berrios fitting in there, as the #5 or #6 WR?  Surely not as a kick returner, he wasn't very good at that.

I mean really, beyond the "Maybe he is the next Chrebet" cliche so common in Jets Fandom, do you really see Berrios competing for a WR slot with playing time on a materially improved Jets roster?

He fjts right there.  In the slot.  Crowder has actually been their best.  If they cut him to save a few dollars Berrios would probably step up just fine.  I'm not saying he is the next Chrebet or Beasley, but dismissing somebody liking the kid is kind of silly. He's looked good and there is every reason to think he will look better.  I agree that we should not be handing out roster spots and should upgrade WR, but you are looking to give one to Perriman.  IMO Berrios > Perriman, except that Berrios is mostly limited to the slot. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

He fjts right there.  In the slot.  Crowder has actually been their best.  If they cut him to save a few dollars Berrios would probably step up just fine.

Yeah, agree to disagree, Berrios isn't 1/10th the player Crowder is.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not saying he is the next Chrebet or Beasley, but dismissing somebody liking the kid is kind of silly. He's looked good and there is every reason to think he will look better.  I agree that we should not be handing out roster spots and should upgrade WR, but you are looking to give one to Perriman.  IMO Berrios > Perriman, except that Berrios is mostly limited to the slot. 

We'll see, I don't expect him to be a Jet in 2021 tbqh, and I'll be disappointed in JD is Berrios ever sees the filed outside injury in 2021.  

This teams talent sucks, outright sucks.

A good looking LT but had a few bad spots and was hurt too much. Rest of oline is stink of only passable.

Bad QB play and bad backups

No real RB talent, the best of the bunch is an UDFa waiver pickup who the team did not want to play.

WRs okay to lousy

TEs awful most of the year, a good game or two near the end

Interior Dline good, Ends and olbs suck, no natural pass rushers at all.

ILBs jags but ilb is the least important position on a team.

One rookie CB showed some promise but other than that blech,

Safeties suspect.

This team has more holes than a block of swiss cheese.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, agree to disagree, Berrios isn't 1/10th the player Crowder is.

We'll see, I don't expect him to be a Jet in 2021 tbqh, and I'll be disappointed in JD is Berrios ever sees the filed outside injury in 2021.  

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree is right.  I have one question.  Do you find him adequate on spacial teams?  IMO special teams requires the same traits as WR.  Speed, agility, toughness. 

You seem like a bit of a name player lover to me.  I remember having the same argument about Wolford the QB from Wake that got the Rams into the playoffs last week.  You were offended he was even on our practice squad.  Nobody is saying these players will amount to stars or even good starters in the NFL.  If you yell they suck about all of them you will be right most of the time.  Thing is, if you do that with most 3rd rounders the results would be similar.  

He is a cheap player under contract. He has some very promising traits and as done nohting to indicate he doesn't belong.  Maybe he will take a big step up.  Your attitude would discount the next Chrebet, Beasley, Mostert, Brady or Thielan.  Will this guy be one?  Probably not, but if he is, it should be here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Sorry but I too think Berrios had a good year under the circumstances (H/C & QB).  At worst he'll be a cut above a jag.  Definitely worth keeping till something better comes along.  We've got a lot more holes to fill etc.    

• Upvote 1

and?  just what did anyone think going in?  i know i was way optimistic but thinking they were a 2 win team is just as foolish if not more so.  their main problem besides gase was not being able to field the same team for extended periods of games.  the oline and the wrs were revolving doors.  the qb was out for a few games and took a few more games to recover from the body slam.  the defense sort of stayed intact but the lack of offense production just made their job that much harder.

i know people knock berrios and true enough he's not as good of a receiver as crowder.  but just who else can be the punt returner.  it takes some considerable guts to stand back there and field a punt let alone trying to advance it.  sometimes he gets the job because no one else wants it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Berrios is not as good as Beasley. Berrios can get open and has some speed and elusiveness but he can't make the tough catch like Beasley. If Berrios is wide open he will make the catch. If Berrios is moderately covered and he has to jump or dive to make a catch he doesn't catch it.