Which of the 6 Announced Jets Interview Requests Would be Good Option?

6 Known Interviewees?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. I think the following coaches would do well as the next Jets Head Coach (select all that apply)

• Eric Bieniemy - KC Offensive Coordinator
    • Arthur Smith - Titans Offensive Coordinator
    • Brian Daboll - Bills Offensive Coordinator
    • Matt Eberflus - Colts Defensive Coordinator
    • Brandon Staley - Rams Defensive Coordinator
    • Patrick Graham - Giants Defensive Coordinator
    • Don't Really Think any of those 6 Would Do Well as Next Jets Coach

Arthur Smith continues to stand out to me and I’m not sure why. I think I just like the Titans style of play. He’d also likely bring Corey Davis with him, which is great.

The other one to me is Martindale but he hasn’t been officially brought up yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No more coordinators. Please.

Those guys are all basically exactly the same but I voted for Eberflus so we can play Tampa 2 and Darnold and be two decades behind on both sides of the ball.

Jets fans should get used to two ideas: 1. They're not getting HC Matt Campbell 2. They're not getting WR Allen Robinson

Posted Images

I'd prefer Daboll from that list, but if I were him, my first choice would be the Chargers and my second choice would be the Texans. At least you get a franchise QB in either situation.

Still hoping the Johnsons open up the checkbook and bring in Harbaugh. 

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Arthur Smith is the only one I feel good about. he turned Tannehill around. 

y’all place too much trust in Daboll. Yes Allen looks great -  but how much of that is a reflection of the McDermott regime. Daboll certainly helped but he has a trail of dead pre-Buffalo. 

Hey he sucked miami into taking  tua so he has that going for him.

Also if mcdermott is smart then daboll was a good hire as well no?  That team took a real step this year.

Daboll has served under some pretty good head coaches.

Smith and Daboll are similar if you ask me, both have excellent head coaches, both turned around QBs.

The Bills do not have Derrick Henry pounding 2000 yards though

• Upvote 1

jdlaugh.gif

"We are very excited to speak with Patrick Graham as he did a really nice job with the Giants this year and is ready to become a head coach."

-- Joe Douglas

"I am happy to announce that Tuesday evening I signed an extension to remain with the Giants as a coordinator."

-- Patrick Graham

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

jdlaugh.gif

"We are very excited to speak with Patrick Graham as he did a really nice job with the Giants this year."

-- Joe Douglas

"I am happy to announce that Tuesday evening I signed an extension to remain with the Giants."

-- Patrick Graham

702F3234-E467-453B-A277-AF0A8E6431CB.jpeg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Hey he sucked miami into taking  tua so he has that going for him.

Also if mcdermott is smart then daboll was a good hire as well no?  That team took a real step this year.

Daboll has served under some pretty good head coaches.

Smith and Daboll are similar if you ask me, both have excellent head coaches, both turned around QBs.

The Bills do not have Derrick Henry pounding 2000 yards though

True. Good points. I like Daboll, don’t get me wrong.. but something about him just says I’m an OC, not a HC. 

I base that opinion on very little material evidence. 

Does anyone look at Special Teams coaches anymore?

I think that's where John Harbaugh came from and I know that's what Joe Judge of the Giants was with the Pats.  Always thought a guy like Mike Westhoff might be a good HC at some point too.

ST coaches tend to be very meticulous and that's the phase where you can flip a game with a blocked punt, a big KO return or a made/missed FG.  Every ST play is a bit of a high pressure play.  Bill Parcells always talked about how ST was overlooked, how it is a full one-third of a game in terms of plays per phase for your team.  I think a ST coach who has extensive NFL experience would be worth a look although, admittedly, I don't know who that might be.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Am I missing things or are no college coaches getting interviews for any of the NFL teams? I havent seen much come across the news except for the Ryan Day/Jags rumor for like 10 seconds. 

I think with college coaches everyone tries to keep everything under wraps until its almost a sure thing because the college can lose recruits if there is doubt the coach will be there....

• Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think that's where John Harbaugh came from and I know that's what Joe Judge of the Giants was with the Pats.  Always thought a guy like Mike Westhoff might be a good HC at some point too.

ST coaches tend to be very meticulous and that's the phase where you can flip a game with a blocked punt, a big KO return or a made/missed FG.  Every ST play is a bit of a high pressure play.  Bill Parcells always talked about how ST was overlooked, how it is a full one-third of a game in terms of plays per phase for your team.  I think a ST coach who has extensive NFL experience would be worth a look although, admittedly, I don't know who that might be.

I wanted Westy to be the Jets head coach for years. 

Specials coaches are also very good at adapting on the fly given that they are dealing with the bottom of the active roster and a multitude of different positional groups. 

• Upvote 1

Surprised there's not much hype for Saleh. Would prefer him over the rest of the coordinators especially since he probably brings Lafleur with him and raids the 49ers coaching staff.

If we can't get Campbell to come out and we don't sign Harbaugh for whatever reason, that's who I want.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Arthur Smith is the only one I feel good about. he turned Tannehill around. 

y’all place too much trust in Daboll. Yes Allen looks great -  but how much of that is a reflection of the McDermott regime. Daboll certainly helped but he has a trail of dead pre-Buffalo. 

i dont Trust Smith.

did he really turn Tannehill around, or was it that Tannehill is playing with the best RB on planet earth. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I wanted Westy to be the Jets head coach for years. 

Specials coaches are also very good at adapting on the fly given that they are dealing with the bottom of the active roster and a multitude of different positional groups. 

Great point!

• Upvote 1

There are more candidates that haven't been "officially" leaked yet, largely due to official requests not being required. 

Not sure I can say whether he'll do well or not, but strong sense that Brandon Staley will be a finalist for the job. 

Daboll is Gase 2.0. Bienimi shouldnt even be the Rooney rule guy. Just because a QB plays well does not mean that a coach is a reason for that success. And Josh Allen even states that it is Jordan Palmer and some advanced biometrics software that is the reason for his success. And Bienimi is Reids gofer waterboy with serious character issues. Neither really fits the blueprint Douglas stated.

I am confident that as of today Douglas is targeting someone in college.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

It's interesting that Bieniemy is not more highly thought of by fans, not just Jets fans but you hear concerns by other fans too.  Obviously, people are concerned that Andy Reid is the de facto offensive coordinator in KC and they have a lot of weapons there.

NFL people seem to think highly of him, but there's a high level of skepticism on the part of fans, which is understandable

Slight correction: NFL people like to say they think highly of him but he’s been passed over for HC gigs like ten years in a row.

7 hours ago, football guy said:

There are more candidates that haven't been "officially" leaked yet, largely due to official requests not being required. 

Not sure I can say whether he'll do well or not, but strong sense that Brandon Staley will be a finalist for the job. 

Cringing a bit...I was hoping we’d avoid the 1 year coordinator guy, or if so give it to Joe Brady. But who knows? I gotta put faith in J Douglas.

But I’m really pulling for Campbell, Fitz, Shaw, Martindale, Daboll. 

• Upvote 2

I want an offensive coach.

I don't care if the Jets give up 85 points as long as they score 86.

Bieniemy because it's ridiculous to think that the OC for the best offense in football is somehow NOT responsible. Guess he's black? That's when coordinators are somehow not experts...for some fans.

2 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Hard to know, since we don't actually know the ins and outs of NFL franchises. 

Hey, don't lump us all in with the Johnsons. That's whatcha call it, stereotyping.

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Cringing a bit...I was hoping we’d avoid the 1 year coordinator guy, or if so give it to Joe Brady. But who knows? I gotta put faith in J Douglas.

But I’m really pulling for Campbell, Fitz, Shaw, Martindale, Daboll. 

Shaw is a name that simply has not come up much this year despite him being a hot topic for years.  Shaw was at Baltimore when douglas was there, so if Shaw has interest I bet Douglass would

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Harbaugh is hands down my top guy. 

Other than him, the Northwestern coach and Colts DC are interesting to me.

ur a better man than I am GungaDin...  i didnt know wtf he was...

so, we may have to PRY him away from NWestern? that doesnt sound right. but wtf do i know?

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets fans should get used to two ideas:

1. They're not getting HC Matt Campbell

2. They're not getting WR Allen Robinson

I agree with Campbell, not sure why you say that about Robinson.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree with Campbell, not sure why you say that about Robinson.

Every fanbase in the NFL with even a glancing need at WR thinks their going to get Robinson.

Only one team will actually get him.

Why on earth would you think that one team is the 2-14, QB'less, Coach'less NY Jets?

Yes, we have Cap Space.  That helps alot.  But it's going to be alot of competition, the odds are quite low we wind up with him.

Dream if you like, but IMO this is the #1 pick and TL all over again.  Don't invest in something you don't have and probably won't get.

23 hours ago, section314 said:

Sarge.....went with Graham. He got Leonard Williams to play like a star. Imagine what he could do for Sam.😉

Graham signed his extension  with the Giants.  OMG, what will JD do now!!!

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Surprising that KC's ST co-ordinator, Dave Toub, hasn't had any reported interest yet.

He's been a top ST coach for years, and he got some HC interest the past couple of years.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Every fanbase in the NFL with even a glancing need at WR thinks their going to get Robinson.

Only one team will actually get him.

Why on earth would you think that one team is the 2-14, QB'less, Coach'less NY Jets?

Yes, we have Cap Space.  That helps alot.  But it's going to be alot of competition, the odds are quite low we wind up with him.

Dream if you like, but IMO this is the #1 pick and TL all over again.  Don't invest in something you don't have and probably won't get.

Most teams have established #1 Wr's .

Who do the Jets have ? , he would overnight become the unquestioned #1 on the Jets.

He may get to play with Justin Fields something contrary to your opinion that could be a big positive.

Jets have the $$ if that is his motivation.

And NY/NJ is still a major media hotbed, he has many more marketing opportunities here than in say a Carolina or Denver etc... 

27 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Graham signed his extension  with the Giants.  OMG, what will JD do now!!!

They'll never learn.  Let's see:

Herman Edwards
Eric Mangini
Rex Ryan
Todd Bowles
Adam Gase

No one wants to come here.  We are the wallflower at the high school dance, staring longfully at the head cheerleader, always winding up with the fat girl.

Just start with a list of the 3 worst candidates, the ones you aren't excited about, the ones no one else wants.  It will be one of those.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

They'll never learn.  Let's see:

Herman Edwards
Eric Mangini
Rex Ryan
Todd Bowles
Adam Gase

No one wants to come here.  We are the wallflower at the high school dance, staring longfully at the head cheerleader, always winding up with the fat girl.

Just start with a list of the 3 worst candidates, the ones you aren't excited about, the ones no one else wants.  It will be one of those.

SAR I

Dude, Graham didn't  sign as a HC with another team. He resigned as DC with the Giants.  He doesn't  want to go anywhere chicken little. 

chicken little illustration GIF

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And NY/NJ is still a major media hotbed, he has many more marketing opportunities here than in say a Carolina or Denver etc... 

I don't recall a Sam Darnold car commercial or a Jamal Adams Nike campaign.

It's all social media now.  NY/NJ offers no advantage to players.  And if they're from Florida or Texas or Georgia or California, our weather, population density, road traffic, and (in some cases) taxes are a major disadvantage.

The reason we always think the current head coach sucks is because he was a bottom-of-the barrel candidate, and the reason his replacement always sucks is because he's a bottom-of-the-barrel candidate.  The A+ guys will never come here, even when Darnold was looking can't-miss all we could get was Gase, even when we'd shown we could go deep in the playoffs for a few seasons we could only get Bowles.

Be careful what you wish for.  It's usually worse than what you had.

SAR I