Trevor Lawrence is not a much better prospect than Justin Fields. All objective evidence shows they are equally great yet one is judged on a different standard than the other.

Jetsbb

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

Amazing how all this stuff is coming up now as if someone hasnt been saying this right here on this very board since way before the start of college Football this season.

You were all over Fields early, then you dumped his profile picture after a 3 interception game. Way to stand by your man. lol

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, QB1 said:

So you're basing this off two throws, one that was a completion.  Name one QB that is 100% from deep. Id suggest you watch more tape. 

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm far from a scout, or a QB talent evaluator, but from what I've seen, Wilson has by far the best ball placement of the three, and it's not even close.

Fellas, I'm not a scout either. I'm a less than casual consumer of college football, and far more of an NFL fan.

But we all just watched that last game, and I felt there was no throw made by Fields that equaled the Lawrence throw I cited in that first post and that there were clear missed opportunities by Fields when throwing deep.

Intermediate throws, especially in the red zone, I liked what I saw from Fields - although we also all saw his bad choice throw to Ruckert when there were two Buckeyes wide open in the center of the field.

And somebody here posted that video of the Ohio State / Indiana game and I was shocked at some of the decisions and plays left on the field by Fields. 

He had a gritty, impressive performance after his injury last week. I respect that. And if our next coach truly believes in him, then sure, I get it. 

I'm just saying I've got my reservations.

I'm most impressed with those Ohio State o-lineman. Bring in as many of them as possible. 

One of the things that both excites and terrifies me about the prospect of drafting Fields - I think he will and should be the Jets’ pick at 2 and if they happen to take a 330 pound tackle who moves like he weighs 250 I’ll survive - is that I think he’s the kind of guy who can be excellent if you build the organization around his skill set and completely focus the entire franchise on his development AND I think he’s talented enough to warrant that treatment and unique enough that it might actually happen BUT I’m not sure the Jets will actually do it.

With the Chargers firing Lynn I think Daboll ends up there but if he’s got a guy who he thinks he can delegate the same kind of development plan that he implemented for Josh Allen...he and Fields would be a home run. Obviously you’d like to see Daboll actively involved and monitoring that process, but I think the Jets do need a coach who can handle CEO type responsibilities. Spend your time on the whole team but be in communication regarding the quarterback’s development and make sure you’re actively involved in the planning even if someone else is doing the tedious more active day to day stuff. Just make sure that someone else is a guy you trust. I also like Smith for a similar role, just a little less.

I think Fields is talented and developed enough to play from day one but raw enough that he should be brought along slowly in a scheme that fits his strengths. Need receivers who can play downfield - which meshes with Douglas’ philosophy, for what it’s worth - and I think early on playing in a run heavy scheme that utilizes play action and his mobility while stressing he needs to slide, step out of bounds, etc would be good. Get the line set up and speed at receiver.

So much of the quarterback position is intangibles. I caught a couple Fields interviews and he seems like a genuinely good, thoughtful dude who loves football, works hard, is intelligent and will absorb schemes, and guys would like to play with. Absolutely loved the toughness he displayed on Friday. I’d have a lot of fun rooting for him to succeed here.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.  All doing rather well in the NFL.  To the best of my recollection, none received the kind of gushing praise we are seeing for Trevor Lawrence. Is there a pattern here?

And Tom Brady was drafted #199 and Peyton Manning #1 what’s your point?

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I absolutely hate going by college stats. It holds close to no weight in predicting who will translate to the NFL. Haskins threw 50+ TD’s and Geno threw 50 on the dot.

Comparing their stats us as irrelevant as could be.  It cracks me up whenever I see these types of comparisons.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Fields' ball placement is a concern for me, that early pass to Wilson down the sideline where everyone was saying "wow what a strike" should've been an easy touchdown if placed properly. He also missed a wide-open Olave streaking down the seam a few drives later.

For a guy with clearly the best offensive line in college football that has two WR's that routinely get open deep, that concerns me. 

Yeh every QB to ever exist has this same problem, it’s called being human 

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, I know they are.

I just think it's funny, we have some Jets Fans trying to now convince themselves that Fields ~ Lawrence, but they tend to overlook the fact that if that IS true, they may not get what they're trying to convince themselves they want.

Not having done much research myself yet, I just hope the whipsawing over the last four weeks from Lawrence, the QB from BYU and now Fields is not just collective post hoc, recency and confirmation biases.

• Upvote 1

Both good prospects but like all young QBs how well they do out of the gate depends on the situation they go to.

Fields is going to be a Jet and I'm good with that. 

The narrative going up to the draft will but the two guys switching places, especially if jax hires a guy like meyer but I still think it will be Lawrence 1, Fields 2

Trevor Lawrence is not a much better prospect than Justin Fields. 
If true, then Jacksonville should be considering Fields then, right?

Oh absolutely, and one of my biggest fears is that he has a monster game against Alabama. If he does, Jacksonville seriously has to reassess the first pick. For selfish reasons I’m hoping he doesn’t have a great game so we get him at 2. Fields is a special player.
  • Upvote 2

One thing I want to make sure we know is that Fields isn't a one year or one game wonder. Fields has been an elite prospect since high school, rivals ranked him above TL coming out of high school. Last year Fields had a dominant season, this year he started the season on a tear. Just re establishing this so we stop comparing him to QBs that came out of no where with a big bowl performance etc. The guy is established as hell . 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Fellas, I'm not a scout either. I'm a less than casual consumer of college football, and far more of an NFL fan.

But we all just watched that last game, and I felt there was no throw made by Fields that equaled the Lawrence throw I cited in that first post and that there were clear missed opportunities by Fields when throwing deep.

Intermediate throws, especially in the red zone, I liked what I saw from Fields - although we also all saw his bad choice throw to Ruckert when there were two Buckeyes wide open in the center of the field.

And somebody here posted that video of the Ohio State / Indiana game and I was shocked at some of the decisions and plays left on the field by Fields. 

He had a gritty, impressive performance after his injury last week. I respect that. And if our next coach truly believes in him, then sure, I get it. 

I'm just saying I've got my reservations.

I'm most impressed with those Ohio State o-lineman. Bring in as many of them as possible. 

go re watch the 60 yard dime he threw while moving to his left with broken ribs. That was the throw of the year at any level of football. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, section314 said:

I'm far from a scout, or a QB talent evaluator, but from what I've seen, Wilson has by far the best ball placement of the three, and it's not even close.

Wilson throws a pretty pass.  But every highlight reel I watched of him, his WRs were WIDE open.  They just didn't play the level of competition that OSU and Clemson did and that gives me some pause about how he would fair against NFL defensive backs and rushers.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, HtownJet said:

If true, then Jacksonville should be considering Fields then, right?

Oh absolutely, and one of my biggest fears is that he has a monster game against Alabama. If he does, Jacksonville seriously has to reassess the first pick. For selfish reasons I’m hoping he doesn’t have a great game so we get him at 2. Fields is a special player.

I would LOVE it if Khan picked Fields over Lawrence 

Not happening tho

58 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson.  All doing rather well in the NFL.  To the best of my recollection, none received the kind of gushing praise we are seeing for Trevor Lawrence. Is there a pattern here?

None of those QBs smell like lavender?