Report: Jets Intend to Fire Dowell Loggains

Rhg1084

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's not unprecedented. They may be kept to let the next HC interview them. 

Yeah, pretty standard practices to let the HC decide who they want to keep or not.

In the case of Loggains, they probably just realized HC candidates wanted him fired before even interviewing... just to be safe.  Then again, what kind of stupid ass team would ever try to do something so completely ridiculous as force a coordinator onto their top HC candidate, right?

• Haha 2

Yes Douglas may leave the rest (or select ones) of the position coaches for the new HC to interview -- not just to determine if he wants to keep any of them, but to get their take on individual players before they head into FA and the draft. I'm sure JD already knows how Gase & Loggains feel about any player in need of a pre-spring GM decision. May have been the same thing regarding Gregg Williams (already knows how the coordinator feels about each player) while keeping the position coaches to pick their brains about specific minutiae type strengths/weaknesses of each guy in their respective position group.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

In the case of Loggains, they probably just realized HC candidates wanted him fired before even interviewing... just to be safe.  

Or everybody else had been cleared out of the building already and he was the last to go.  Everyone just assumed he was a temp worker or something and he blended in for a while.

I am not sure of the proper etiquette on these deals.  Keeping guys on board may keep them from getting interest for other jobs.  OTOH, for the lower priced position guys, it would be a bit mean to just cut them loose.   I think you would normally give them the option, telling them that they can interview for positions with the new guy, but not guaranteeing anything.  This being the Jets there is always the fear that they will force guys on the new staff - the way they did with Westhoff, Schottnheimer, Boyer, Rex, Bradway and Tannenbaum.  The staff did have some decent names on it.  You could argue that forcing Williams on Gase was the begining of the end.  When you have to hire your father in law as a spy things can't be too good.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am not sure of the proper etiquette on these deals.  Keeping guys on board may keep them from getting interest for other jobs.  OTOH, for the lower priced position guys, it would be a bit mean to just cut them loose.   I think you would normally give them the option, telling them that they can interview for positions with the new guy, but not guaranteeing anything.  This being the Jets there is always the fear that they will force guys on the new staff - the way they did with Westhoff, Schottnheimer, Boyer, Rex, Bradway and Tannenbaum.  The staff did have some decent names on it.  You could argue that forcing Williams on Gase was the begining of the end.  When you have to hire your father in law as a spy things can't be too good.

I said above I think the new HC not can talk them over to see if there's a match, but to get their insight and a head start on players that are maybe-keep, maybe-replace. Maybe a new HC hire ignores their opinions/judgment, but the position coaches would give you something to look at that the HC otherwise might not have. You can agree/disagree with their assessment as you see fit but at least listen. 

Also I don't know that the whole staff of position coaches is getting filled during the WC or divisional round of the playoffs, seeing how the position coaches of the most successful teams are still off limits for lateral move interviews. 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I guess the rest of the coaching staff is staying 

I doubt that.  Presume whomever is hired as Head Coach will (along with Douglas) assemble their own staff, not retain the Gase-staff by default.

I expect many to be gone by the 2021 season.