Douglas speaks!

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This was year 1 of the rebuild. 

Teams turn it around quickly in the NFL. 

There is no reason this can't be a 7-9/8-8 team with a good offseason. 

Explain the 2020 Los Angeles Chargers to me.  They already had a roster 2x better than ours and hit the lottery with Herbert. 

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Explain the 2020 Los Angeles Chargers to me.  They already had a roster 2x better than ours and hit the lottery with Herbert. 

SAR I

I don't think their roster is quite as good as you think it is and I also think Lynn was an awful in-game coach. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Again, on Darnold, says "there will be a lot of discussions in the offseason ... We have to do whats in the longterm interests of the team."

Acknowledged that Darnold's contract situation is a factor that will be considered.

Plotting The Simpsons GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

both the owner and the GM have now come out in support of our QB, the sooner the fans get behind him the better. not that i wont be upset on not drafting Cam Newtons protege...but u know...ill live.

Better than the Bucky Brooks we currently have today

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Again, on Darnold, says "there will be a lot of discussions in the offseason ... We have to do whats in the longterm interests of the team."

Acknowledged that Darnold's contract situation is a factor that will be considered.

This is today's money quote for me. He didn't use the word "long-term" by accident. Douglas is a smart guy and he knows that the smart decision for the team's future is to draft a QB at #2 and start fresh with a new head coach who can work with a guy who is on a rookie contract.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It's a big deal are you kidding ? 

This is insight that we still don't really know if JD is calling the shots or not, he just said he fired Adam Gase in the press conference, Christopher Johnson said he did yesterday. 

So who's actually in charge?

Are you the kidding?

There isnt a GM in this league who will/can/would fire a HC, mid contract without the owner involved.  They both fired him in that sense 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly the problem. No patient rebuild.  Not going to do it like the Steelers.  Going to do it like the Jets.  

SAR I

You listened to the interview on ESPN?  He said for the millionth time that he believes you build through the Draft and then developing those players.  I really, really doubt Joe D tries to shortcut the process by throwing huge contracts around at a couple of people.

He's on a 6 year deal and he will have new HC coming in.  That new coach will want to build things with Joe D over time and not hamstring his new team in Year 1.

That was a GREAT interview on ESPN.  Thanks for mentioning it earlier!

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It's a big deal are you kidding ? 

This is insight that we still don't really know if JD is calling the shots or not, he just said he fired Adam Gase in the press conference, Christopher Johnson said he did yesterday. 

So who's actually in charge?

No...No it's not.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Utter nonsense, what you said has zero basis on reality. The Steelers have had Big Ben for 15+ years. It makes them competitive yearly. Second they don’t waste picks on Run stuffing D Tackles or none impact positions. Strong online, receivers, QB, and edge rushers.

sh*t why did no one else pick J.J Watts brother to middle of round 1?

Darnold traded, We pick Fields #2. We sign Joe Thuney, then it’s a very offensive draft. Q.B, Running back, Oline receiver.

My point is that the Jets are essentially an expansion team.  What we had when we went 7-9 has all been traded away, and the hopes we have for a competitive roster next year rely primarily on drafting.  Darnold is a bust, so we have to burn our chance to get a haul on Fields or whomever.  And if we weren't going to pay Leonard, Robbie, or Jamal, who are we paying out of the 28 players whose contracts have just expired?

Last season was a throwaway and I could live with that because I thought there was a patient master plan afoot.  There isn't.  We've just gotten the FO out of sync again and put our young nerdy GM in the hottest seat in the NFL.  And the words we're hearing from Johnson and Douglas make it sound like there is urgency to put up a winner. Not hard to do, not hard to go 9-7 if you want to emulate Maccagnan 2015, a one hit wonder that doesn't last.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Darnold is gone unless the new coach loves him and wants him.

Big respect for Douglas admitting errors.  He is not a cover my ass guy and he is accountable.  Very refreshing.

You can trust guys that admit to errors and mistakes and not trust guys that never make mistakes.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You listened to the interview on ESPN?  He said for the millionth time that he believes you build through the Draft and then developing those players.  I really, really doubt Joe D tries to shortcut the process by throwing huge contracts around at a couple of people.

He's on a 6 year deal and he will have new HC coming in.  That new coach will want to build things with Joe D over time and not hamstring his new team in Year 1.

That as a GREAT interview on ESPN.  Thanks for mentioning it earlier!

Not only did he say it for the millionth time CJ has echoed the same message.  Any fan who would rather build a 9-7, 10-6 team loaded with expensive, old FA can go.  We did that with Macc and it blew up in his face. Fans know this, its what they were ready to let the Rangers and Knicks do, its what Jets fans want because they want a perennial winner not a flash in the pan type team

And theyre not trying to set JD up for the fall because they told everyone Gase would be back and the big bad man fired him

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

I love this guy

I want to love this guy, but since we're not paying make-believe with Gase anymore we can't play make-believe with Douglas either.  I've learned that lesson.

He was a second year GM whose team slid from 7-9 to 2-14, his draft class can't stay healthy, his rebuilt OL isn't rebuilt, and the players he traded away are studs elsewhere.  Being honest.  Robbie, Leonard, and Jamal would be really nice right now, going to take years to get equivalents back.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 9

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Big respect for Douglas admitting errors.  He is not a cover my ass guy and he is accountable.  Very refreshing.

You can trust guys that admit to errors and mistakes and not trust guys that never make mistakes.

It also looms large because hes willing to make moves, deals that he believes in over a deal that helps keep his ass clean.  

We may have gotten very lucky here.  We deserve it for once

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This

The more someone admits to being an idiot every now and then, the smarter they probably are, and the more someone brags about their intelligence, the more paint chips they've probably eaten as a child.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Think we’ve waited long enough, seen enough poor football. I want to see an actual H.C, and not a space cadet. I want to see real innovation, NFL level play and to be competitive. Not getting blown out by at least two scores every game.

No ones expecting 10 Wins, apart from you and “your” outrageous early season threads. 

I want to see some real football, and a team we can all route for. Will we get that who knows?

If Douglas builds a team that goes 2-14 again next year but significantly fortifies the OL, Secondary, and QB position for a decade of slow and demonstrable growth into a contender by 2023 would you be happy?

Because Jets history says no.  Jets history says F the patient rebuild and go for wins wins wins now now now.  And that's what gets us to the lather-rinse-repeat circle of life in Florham Park.  That's why doing it "the right way" is hard.  It makes careers look broken.  It makes owners look terrible.

They're asking the wrong questions.  It's not about "what is the reporting structure?"  The question is "are you going to continue to patiently rebuild through the draft and sacrifice a season or two in the short term to ensure a decade of winning football?"

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My point is that the Jets are essentially an expansion team.  What we had when we went 7-9 has all been traded away, and the hopes we have for a competitive roster next year rely primarily on drafting.  Darnold is a bust, so we have to burn our chance to get a haul on Fields or whomever.  And if we weren't going to pay Robbie or Jamal, who are we paying out of the 28 players whose contracts have just expired?

Last season was a throwaway and I could live with that because I thought there was a patient master plan afoot.  There isn't.  We've just gotten the FO out of sync again and put our young nerdy GM in the hottest seat in the NFL.  And the words we're hearing from Johnson and Douglas make it sound like there is urgency to put up a winner. Not hard to do, not hard to go 9-7 if you want to emulate Maccagnan 2015, a one hit wonder that doesn't last.

SAR I

I would agree with you if they impulsively go out and bring in a Harbaugh or Cowher.

The choice in HC will tell us if they are going to build this from the ground up.  Going with a high profile retread puts the ego/win now factor back on the table like with Parcells after 1-15. Sure the team had a few great years but it wasn't sustainable due to them pushing the chips all in on Parcells high priced vets.  Bring in a younger HC and staff and build it together with the cache of draft picks JD has stockpiled and with wisely spent FA picks and contracts. JD has a 6 year contract , let's build this to last.

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Douglas builds a team that goes 2-14 again next year but significantly fortifies the OL, Secondary, and QB position for a decade of slow and demonstrable growth into a contender by 2023 would you be happy?

If we get a HC and keep the same team there isn't a chance we go 2-14.  Because if we had a real HC this season we beat SF, beat the Broncos and go at least 4-12.  Gase blew that much

• Thumb Down 1