5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Douglas builds a team that goes 2-14 again next year but significantly fortifies the OL, Secondary, and QB position for a decade of slow and demonstrable growth into a contender by 2023 would you be happy?

Because Jets history says no.  Jets history says F the patient rebuild and go for wins wins wins now now now.  And that's what gets us to the lather-rinse-repeat circle of life in Florham Park.  That's why doing it "the right way" is hard.  It makes careers look broken.  It makes owners look terrible.

They're asking the wrong questions.  It's not about "what is the reporting structure?"  The question is "are you going to continue to patiently rebuild through the draft and sacrifice a season or two in the short term to ensure a decade of winning football?"

SAR I

Hold on we support this team, we aren’t the ones picking the players or Free agents. The fans fault and we aren’t patient is BS.

We’ve waited a long time for little or no returns. We are still here. If we are 2-14 again Douglas gets canned. He’s got plenty of Cap space, and picks. Teams will be dumping talent everywhere. The caps going way down. We can make a dramatic improvement over night. Signing a real H.C is number 1# the rest of it will fall in line. 

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joe D made the decision.  It was hard for him to do. Christopher Johnson informed Gase of that decision.  It was hard for him to do. No conspiracy here fellas.

chill dawg.  It's politics. The NFL is a big fraternity. These guys all get recycled. You don't burn bridges unless you absolutely have to. 

It's a big deal are you kidding ?  This is insight that we still don't really know if JD is calling the shots or not, he just said he fired Adam Gase in the press conference, Christopher Johnson

Posted Images

I like that between the lines it seems like sam is gone.

but what i dont like is that he is also showing his cards a bit too early regarding the draft. After reading this i feel confident were getting fields BUT NOBODY NEEDS TO KNOW THAT NOW.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I would agree with you if they impulsively go out and bring in a Harbaugh or Cowher.

The choice in HC will tell us if they are going to build this from the ground up.  Going with a high profile retread puts the ego/win now factor back on the table like with Parcells after 1-15. Sure the team had a few great years but it wasn't sustainable due to them pushing the chips all in on Parcells high priced vets.  Bring in a younger HC and staff and build it together with the cache of draft picks JD has stockpiled and with wisely spent FA picks and contracts. JD has a 6 year contract , let's build this to last.

I agree with you 100% on the objective, but isn't that what we just had?  Didn't we just have a HC and GM on the same page, Gase sitting biting his tongue as all his playmakers were let go for the greater-good of a bright future, Douglas chopping the roster to bits to get young and rebuild hard and deep?

It's why they shouldn't have fired Gase when they did.  Douglas has no cover, he's got a target on his back now.  New HC is getting 2 years minimum.  Douglas now on the hot seat.  I don't like it.  I liked it when Douglas could quietly be ignored by the press and fans and do his job slowly and deliberately.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Explain the 2020 Los Angeles Chargers to me.  They already had a roster 2x better than ours and hit the lottery with Herbert. 

SAR I

You just answered your own question: pure luck

43 minutes ago, JTJet said:

They said it.

Hmm. Well, if you really want to over-analyze every little statement...

What Douglas said was that it was hard for him to fire Adam Gase.

What Chris Johnson's message said was that he informed Adam Gase that he would no longer be working there.

Two similar, yet pretty different sentiments. This is elementary reading comprehension.

47 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I didnt just pull this out of my cornhole

Yes, you did.

47 minutes ago, JTJet said:

and to be fair, I would/should have more benefit of doubt than the Jets at this point.

lolwut? Is this a joke?

Who the **** are you to demand that? Just because the Jets have a history of being awful, we should be more inclined to believe some rando tool's crazy conspiracies on the internet?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How the hell is that remotely possible. 

If we hire a HC who wants Sam Darnold as their starting QB we are in big trouble. 

Here is how. What if its Daboll, who has watched him in the same division for 3 yrs, and probably has a book on him, good or bad. Also, Josh allen and Sam are good friends, maybe he gets some additional feedback there, as to how Sam was coached, etc. That said, if its me, i am drafting Fields.

• Upvote 1

“We want this to be part of our story, but not our story”-JD

That's really nice to say yet as a Jets fan this is part of our never ending story.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Hold on we support this team, we aren’t the ones picking the players or Free agents. The fans fault and we aren’t patient is BS.

We’ve waited a long time for little or no returns. We are still here. If we are 2-14 again Douglas gets canned. He’s got plenty of Cap space, and picks. Teams will be dumping talent everywhere. The caps going way down. We can make a dramatic improvement over night. Signing a real H.C is number 1# the rest of it will fall in line. 

If Adam Gase had the demeanor of Joe Judge '20 or Pete Carroll '94 he'd still be our head coach.

Gase was fired for PR, to shut the media up, to make fans happy.  The team played hard for him.  He sat quietly while his GM ruined any chance at salvaging the season because of the big picture of a patient rebuild.  

That's water under the bridge now.  But it leaves us in a strange spot where Douglas has to understand how vicious the NY media can be and how fickle the fans can be.  Job preservation is what has ruined us for decades.  Tell me it's not happening again.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

You just answered your own question: pure luck

Agreed, HP, but they finished 7-9, same damn record we had in 2019 without a guy like Herbert and without a roster as good.  If the Chargers couldn't take a big step forward this season after striking it rich with Herbert, how can we?

The Jets need to be left alone for 2 years, no pressure, no expectations, and come out in 2023 ready to compete.  Gase out, Woody coming back, it's set up to be another revolving door.

SAR I

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With whipping-boy Gase gone, Douglas has gone from the nerdy draft geek in the background to Public Enemy #1 if things go south next season.  

Planes flying, billboards, you know how it goes in this market with these fans.  They don’t want 5-11 and a nice slow build of an OL and a secondary.  They want 10-6 immediately.  And that’s going to pressure Douglas.  I pray he doesn’t bow to the pressure. History in Florham Park doesn’t bode well.  

SAR I

Disagree.

jet fans are patient and want to believe the tide is turning. No way people will lose faith next season. 6 or 7 wins next years and 8 or 9 the next and everyone will be happy looking forward.

for gods sake this guy jd has barely a year under his belt. He can only go up from a 2 win season. Its easy

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not one of them is worth half of what they make.

Not one of them would return to the Jets for double their salary.

We always have to overpay because we are always losers.  We've got to break the revolving door and get off the hamster wheel.  Very worrisome.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
3 minutes ago, GATA said:

“We want this to be part of our story, but not our story”-JD

That's really nice to say yet as a Jets fan this is part of our never ending story.

Wow comes back from the holidays dropping mad negative vibes. Sad!

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Photo_2021-01-05_04-19-52_PM.png

No story here. If I fire an employee and I had to run it through the owner I would say it was a hard decision to fire them regardless of who told them or how it was announced.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

t's why they shouldn't have fired Gase when they did.  Douglas has no cover, he's got a target on his back now.  New HC is getting 2 years minimum.  Douglas now on the hot seat.  I don't like it.  I liked it when Douglas could quietly be ignored by the press and fans and do his job slowly and deliberately.  

Douglas builds a team, the HC will coach the team.  Douglas has to do his job regardless of the coach, hes the GM theyre always on the hot seat in that sense.  If he does his job and the team loses the coach goes.  Its simple. 

Gase wasnt a scape goat, he was an incredibly inept coach who never should have been any teams HC. Hes proven that statement right 2Xs and never will coach another NFL team in that capacity again.  Sorry

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Hmm. Well, if you really want to over-analyze every little statement...

What Douglas said was that it was hard for him to fire Adam Gase.

What Chris Johnson's message said was that he informed Adam Gase that he would no longer be working there.

Two similar, yet pretty different sentiments. This is elementary reading comprehension.

Yes, you did.

lolwut? Is this a joke?

Who the **** are you to demand that? Just because the Jets have a history of being awful, we should be more inclined to believe some rando tool's crazy conspiracies on the internet?

With the track record the Jets have?.... is this a real question? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Wow comes back from the holidays dropping mad negative vibes. Sad!

Happy New Year ❤️

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tf9yt8k8rjs7yq2wih

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, SAR I said:

If Adam Gase had the demeanor of Joe Judge '20 or Pete Carroll '94 he'd still be our head coach.

Gase was fired for PR, to shut the media up, to make fans happy.  The team played hard for him.  He sat quietly while his GM ruined any chance at salvaging the season because of the big picture of a patient rebuild.  

That's water under the bridge now.  But it leaves us in a strange spot where Douglas has to understand how vicious the NY media can be and how fickle the fans can be.  Job preservation is what has ruined us for decades.  Tell me it's not happening again.

SAR I

Gase was a talentless tool, who’s ego led him to some bad decisions. He alienated his players, wherever he went. He drove players out of town, and it was always about him. He was over his head from day one.

Bill Belichick is an arrogant prick, but he can coach, Gase is a space cadet, who was clueless.

I only feel happy for Rich Kotite, who is no longer the worst Head Coach we’ve ever had.

• Upvote 1
Just now, SAR I said:

SAR I

IMO Gase was fired because he sucked. His offense was predictable and QBs struggled with it; he didn't game plan and didn't adjust his scheme to fit the player.

If Gase was fired because of the fans or PR, then it doesn't matter who we hire next, the Jets are doomed. Only a short term thinker would fire a coach for PR. It takes time, patience and strength to build and coach a quality team. We keep trying to short cut the effort and you never move forward that way. Spend the effort and build - we paid this year for the lack of talent; we have good picks and a lot of cap space. Now it is time to pick the right coach, draft smart, and spend even smarter. Next year should not be embarrassing but it isn't going to be good. The hope is that we are competitive and have a real shot at meaningful games in November; the following year should be fun. But we need to be smart and NOT do things for PR reasons.

Gase sucked here. he sucked in Miami too. Choosing him was a mistake. Sure, the team never quit on him. That is an important part of being a great coach. No coach can be successful if the team quits on him, but there is so much more. Scheme, discipline, culture, game planning, choosing good coaches, game time  decisions, giving players with talent, drive, and character playing time instead of getting a buddy 16K yards. Even in a lost season, these young players deserved a chance to play, the team deserved to learn about the players and get them experience. The best players should play. That is part of being a great coach too.

This is a vote of confidence from your GM.  

Don't know what JD is going to do, but I never heard any statement like this in favor of Darnold today.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Gase sucked, glad Douglas was mostly forthright today. 

Johnsons need to stay away and the Jets desperately need to hit on consecutive drafts. Douglas early returns from last years haven’t been great so far. Draft a QB and then just load up on pass rushers, receivers and backs. Everything else can be filler.

2 minutes ago, ECURB said:

No story here. If I fire an employee and I had to run it through the owner I would say it was a hard decision to fire them regardless of who told them or how it was announced.

Yes there is 100% a story there. 

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that Douglas was NOT ADAM GASE'S BOSS. A fact that so many of you on this very board seem to complain about on a daily basis. 

They were co-workers. Peers. 

Firing your peer is not how reporting structures work. At all. 

I want to know who actually made the decision. Was Douglas allowed to unilaterally decide and then Johnson informed Gase because that's how the power structure was set up? Did they decide together? There is zero clarification on this. 

This makes a difference for the potential decision making process of a future head coach. Not sure why this is being remotely disputed. 

The end all, be all, is that this should have unquestionably been Johnsons decision and he should have unquestionably been the one to do so. Otherwise, he is a pussy and passing the hard decisions off on people. 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I want to love this guy, but since we're not paying make-believe with Gase anymore we can't play make-believe with Douglas either.  I've learned that lesson.

He was a second year GM whose team slid from 7-9 to 2-14, his draft class can't stay healthy, his rebuilt OL isn't rebuilt, and the players he traded away are studs elsewhere.  Being honest.  Robbie, Leonard, and Jamal would be really nice right now, going to take years to get equivalents back.

SAR I

Gotta disagree with you here, Robbie can be replaced with a better version with one free agent signing. We already are better than Leonard with Q and Fatukasi, and we got two firsts and a 3rd for a safety. Those picks can go to a more important position than safety. There are solid safeties available every year in free agency for way less than what Adams wants.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is a vote of confidence from your GM.  

Don't know what JD is going to do, but I never heard any statement like this in favor of Darnold today.

A statement of support for your now second year QB in a non contract year with a coach already in place. 

Vs. 

A QB in his 4th year now with an upcoming contract decision, and a head coach search underway. 

You're comparing apples to tampons here.  

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You listened to the interview on ESPN?  He said for the millionth time that he believes you build through the Draft and then developing those players.  I really, really doubt Joe D tries to shortcut the process by throwing huge contracts around at a couple of people.

He's on a 6 year deal and he will have new HC coming in.  That new coach will want to build things with Joe D over time and not hamstring his new team in Year 1.

That was a GREAT interview on ESPN.  Thanks for mentioning it earlier!

yeah only one problem with that...if the jets are 3-13 next year JD will be fired and he can spend the last 3 years of his deal scratching his balls on his couch.

• Haha 1

Cannot take what he said about Sam as anything at all!  He is playing both sides

1) QB bright future - aka we have no problem keeping him if anyone wants to trade up for a QB in the draft

2) QB with bright future - aka Sam will be a top QB so bring you're best offer for him

Simple as that and God only knows what was really said behind closed doors between JD and Sam.  He's just trying not to tip his hand and not one any leverage for either option.

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Lies already. 

Christopher Johnson and Joe Douglas have now both claimed to fire Adam Gase. 

I'm assuming you've never fired anybody in a corporation. Multiple people are involved in that conversation

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Yeah, and Jamal was gonna be a Jet for life.

That has to be the scary part for the Darnold fans, that was wayyyyyyy more of an endorsement than he gave to Darnold.

Darnolds gone folks 👍