Douglas speaks!

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If Adam Gase had the demeanor of Joe Judge '20 or Pete Carroll '94 he'd still be our head coach.

Gase was fired for PR, to shut the media up, to make fans happy.  The team played hard for him.  He sat quietly while his GM ruined any chance at salvaging the season because of the big picture of a patient rebuild.  

That's water under the bridge now.  But it leaves us in a strange spot where Douglas has to understand how vicious the NY media can be and how fickle the fans can be.  Job preservation is what has ruined us for decades.  Tell me it's not happening again.

SAR I

If Adam Gase was half as good at being a head coach than guys you mentioned, he’d still be there.( Water under the bridge I know.)

JD and the media are still going through a honeymoon period  heck even the questions posed to him today were mostly “softies”. Let’s not forget that The guy’s a scout and has never had to hire a coach before...I hope he’s got Newsome on speed dial.

I’m a glass half full guy so looking on bright side, he’s gotta be than CJ....NO?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Irrelevant to this conversation. 

But agree he cant say what he really wants to thats if he wants to. 

I need something from JD to prove he's the right guy to fix this mess. 

Unless you do something very bad the gm isn’t going to call you out.  How will that help hiring process.  It’s pretty basic

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

With whipping-boy Gase gone, Douglas has gone from the nerdy draft geek in the background to Public Enemy #1 if things go south next season.  

Planes flying, billboards, you know how it goes in this market with these fans.  They don’t want 5-11 and a nice slow build of an OL and a secondary.  They want 10-6 immediately.  And that’s going to pressure Douglas.  I pray he doesn’t bow to the pressure. History in Florham Park doesn’t bode well.  

SAR I

You are ALWAYS WRONG. ? ? ? ? 

Glad you hate the actual Football Expert that sh*tcanned the scumbag that wasted 2 years of our lives.

It means he's the right guy. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Incorrect, there were rumors of Tua gettin Rosen’ed, GM stepped in front of that. Complete opposite of what Joe Douglas said about Sam.

Do you understand now????

Wrong. A rumor is a rumor. Nothing more. 

This is simply how business is done. 

Do YOU understand? Clearly not. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I want to love this guy, but since we're not paying make-believe with Gase anymore we can't play make-believe with Douglas either.  I've learned that lesson.

He was a second year GM whose team slid from 7-9 to 2-14, his draft class can't stay healthy, his rebuilt OL isn't rebuilt, and the players he traded away are studs elsewhere.  Being honest.  Robbie, Leonard, and Jamal would be really nice right now, going to take years to get equivalents back.

SAR I

Hey man, get over it...Gase was a terrible HC, he got fired, and rightfully so. Robbie, Leonard and Jamal are now on other teams, time to get some reality. You know that when you start to upvote your own posts there is something absolutely wrong with you.

giphy.gif
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Wrong. A rumor is a rumor. Nothing more. 

This is simply how business is done. 

Do YOU understand? Clearly not. 

Yes and the GM made it a point to clear those rumors up, that’s the point what don’t you get? ???‍♂️

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Yes and the GM made it a point to clear those rumors up, that’s the point what don’t you get?

Yes. Which doesnt apply to Darnold because his situation isnt remotely the same as Tua. 

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

JD and the media are still going through a honeymoon period  heck even the questions posed to him today were mostly “softies”.

0ap1000000058124.jpg

You know how the NY media works.  Without Gase, millions of dollars in ad revenue is gone and they must get it back.  Douglas is going to be the one in the clown car next year.  Undeserved, but that's the hornet's nest they've just created for the guy. 

Douglas can truly be a God in this town.  Let's pray he gets it right.

SAR I

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

Yes. Which doesnt apply to Darnold because his situation isnt remotely the same as Tua. 

Reasons why they are exactly the same:

1. Both are QBs with their starting job in question 

2.Both had GM’s speak today

And again the dolphins GM backed Tua and named him starter, the jets GM was completely uncommitted to Sam. Don’t look good for Sam that was my point

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

It’s gonna be a nothing press conference. I’m just gonna assume it goes like this:

1) I wish it had worked out with Gase, he’s a good man and I wish him the best.

2) We will look for the right leader for our locker room

3) We believe we have talented guys we just need to create more competition 

4) Sam has great talent, can be great

5) when we get a coach we’ll decided how to progress with personnel in key positions including Quarterback

6) Chris Johnson is a great boss and he trusts me so I will do what is necessary to prove him right and build a winner.

It’s why I never make time for pillow talk press conferences. Trust me, if anything interesting is said Twitter will ram it down my throat 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

And again the dolphins GM backed Tua and named him starter, the jets GM was completely uncommitted to Sam. Don’t look good for Sam that was my point

You are cherry picking basic similarities and ignoring the significant differences, mainly years left on the contract and that the team is without a Head Coach!  JD is being honest about the situation. It's refreshing.

12 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Those are not closely comparable reasons, especially number 2. 

1. One is making peanuts, the other is about to make upwards of 20mil a year. 

2. One is a first year rook that they have hope for, the other is going into his 4th year and done nothing. 

3. One has a stable coach, the other wont know who the coach is for a bit. 

JD literally couldn't publicly back Darnold at this time, it could possibly severely hamstring his coaching search as the incoming coach should want some input. 

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I've always held out hope for Darnold, hoping that he'd turn the corner.  I think JD has as well.  But it's been two full seasons of Douglas watching firsthand what type of QB Sam is and, if I had to describe Sam in one word it would be "frustrating."  He's frustrating because you see the talent, you see the throws, you see him do some things that very, very few other QBs can do.....but you also see the mistakes, the lack of progress, the taking of sacks or running the ball out of bounds rather than throwing it away, the turnovers, etc.  After 3 years in the NFL I've come around to the fact that some poor coaching and a meh roster can only explain so much.  I think JD sees it the same way.  Darnold's very last game against NE was a perfect microcosm of what he is.... a great TD pass down the middle to the TE, some great throws throughout the game, and two self-inflicted wounds of turning the ball over in crucial spots, in the end zone, etc.  That's how you lose a 28-14 game and ultimately, the confidence of your GM.

If I'm a new HC coming to the Jets I want a clean slate and a fresh start.  I don't want a reclamation project, I don't want the pressure to "fix" Sam Darnold in one year, I don't want to be at a press conference in Week 2 answering questions about why Darnold threw 3 INTs and we lost by a TD.  I think the HC change will push the QB change.

Well stated.  I think the majority of Jets fans share this opinion and direction for the team.  Great post.

• Upvote 1