Are people really entertaining scenarios where the Jets trade out of 2 and allow other teams to draft a QB (or qbs) ahead of them?

yvj

I think if we want Fields or Wilson, we have to grab them at 2.  Too many other QB needy teams nipping at our heels.  Every team probably understands that it's not common to be in this high a position to get one and if you can, you pull the trigger.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'd take a high second off Miami to move down one spot if they really love Sewell, but no further than that. 

Sure but Id rather draft Sewell THEN trade him to Miami for 3rd and picks than take the chance Miami does another trade and we lose the QB we want.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Icer said:

You have to build around Sammy, because he had Gase as HC and Berries Hogan and Malone for like 2 games in the first part of the season

Don't worry about being ranked dead last among QB's, injuring himself by holding the ball too long, reinjuring it with a dumb run, and only cracking the mighty 230 yards barrier one time this season.

Wtf GIF - Wtf GIFs

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

just providing an alternate view point. football is a team sport. yes QB is most important position, but a good QB on a great team can win, where a great QB on an average team cannot. and, what if the guy doesn't pan out or gets killed because of the lack of talent? not only on the OL; a team with no defense will put their offense and the QB in bad place. a great WR that can win the jump ball battle can make a qb successful where with only 1 or 2 you can isolate them or are 1 dimensional when they are hurt. Fill the team with talent and depth.

It is a long game thought process; most people don't get it. Even if you are convinced Sam is done, as many are, if you can get enough for moving down twice, it MAY be worth it. pick up 2 or 3 extra 2s this year and 2 more 1sts next year and the year after and the team is set. we would have 2 1sts to spend on team and 2 or 3 2nds this year, 4 firsts next year, 3 the following. that is an amazing team. With all of the draft capital, you can easily pick up a qb next year or the year after. also, consider some of the better qbs that were taken after the top 5.

roll dice on one QB or 4 extra picks this year, 2 extra next year and 2 extra the year after. plus you get Sam on 4th year next year and then a rookie for 4-5 years after that - team would be set and still have cap to spend on select FA.

of course if you love one of the QBs or you can't get the return in picks it isn't worth it. you have to balance the opportunity costs of not picking the QB as well.

with all of those picks you could rebuild in 2 years and just explode talent in the 3rd year; suck for sam didn't work; CONSIDER the long term and not the FAN choice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

47 minutes ago, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

I think that is a pretty simplistic view of the situation. 

Looking back, would you have taken Mitch Trubisky or traded back? 

Obviously, if the Jets think Fields or Wilson are franchise QBs they would be idiots to pass on them. But what if they think they are the next Trubisky/Haskins? Wouldn't it be smart out of that position and help rebuild this roster?

With all that said, I would bet the Jets think one of these kids are going to be a franchise QB and will take that one at 2. But again, you don't just take a QB at 2 simply because you need a QB. That is how you end up reaching for Trubisky/Haskins etc..

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Was Leo a jag. You thought he was. Might have been the best DT in football this year.

Link?

I thought he was a decent player who didn't live up to his draft position and now had his best season in his contract year.

Also, PFF (not an authority, but not nothing) only had him at a 79.8 ranking this year.  Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Cameron Heyward, Deforest Buckener, Vita Vea all ranked 10 points or more, above.  And that's not an exhaustive list, just a cursory spot check.  Best DT is football is complete nonsense.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Link?

I thought he was a decent player who didn't live up to his draft position and now had his best season in his contract year.

Also, PFF (not an authority, but not nothing) only had him at a 79.8 ranking this year.  Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Cameron Heyward, Deforest Buckener, Vita Vea all ranked 10 points or more, above.  And that's not an exhaustive list, just a cursory spot check.  Best DT is football is complete nonsense.

I said, might have been. Leo was always an elite run defender. Now that he's been coached up, and has Dexter Lawerence next to him. He's much more than that. Certainly much more than a decent player

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Miami traded up one spot and then took Fields.

There's talk they've already seen enough with Tua down there.

Maybe? It could happen. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we had a similar grade on Fields and Wilson. 

But for the sake of a second rounder, I'd just stand pat and pick our guy. 

• Upvote 1

they'll bash darnold and then conclude they're sticking with him.  i saw kiper today, he actually said that they should stick with darnold and cited that he had a higher grade on darnold coming out of USC than he does on justin fields.  just goes to show you how draft analysts have zero consequences if they're wrong.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Link?

Vita Vea only played in five games this year, by the way.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

And you would trust Miami to not trade down to get a haul for the QB we may want like Fields?. BS

I wouldn't trust Miami at the best of times. This would only be something you'd maybe consider doing when on the clock, so they had less time to pull a fast one. And again, only if you rank Fields and Wilson similarly. 

26 minutes ago, genot said:

I agree. Line the ones who wanted to trade the bust QW. Or referred to Anderson as a one trick pony. Or the majority who thought Leo was a jag. Everybody who posts here,(including ne), might know more than the average fan. Compared to the people who've played the game, or have been earning a living in personal. We don't know s..t

In all fairness, they don't know sh*t either.

1 hour ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'd take a high second off Miami to move down one spot if they really love Sewell, but no further than that. 

Too risky in my opinion. Miami could stun people and draft Fields if he is still on the board.

Teams are beginning to make quicker decisions on QB's that they lose faith in. I'm not saying Tua is a bust, but if Miami thinks Fields has a higher ceiling they could take him.

Tua struggled this year. He lacks arm strength, and spent his entire college career throwing to 4 first round wide receivers who were wide open. I figured he would be able to throw into tighter NFL windows but he didn't show a willingness to do it this year. That might worry Miami.

If someone offers a true haul and we only move back no further than 6, I might do it.  Preferably no lower than 4.   Take Wilson at 4 or Lance at 6.   Build an offense and team around them.  Otherwise stay at 2 and take your quarterback most likely Fields. 

This team may have the worst roster in the league. Not one pro bowl player, no stars. The whole team is full of guys that are borderline starters / high end back ups at best outside of a couple of guys. The Jets aren’t the Chargers, niners, or falcons where they have pieces but just aren’t winning. This team is so void of talent that it isn’t the worst idea to trade that pick if you can get a great return. If you can flip that number 2 pick for 2 firsts, 2 seconds + or better, I’d rather see this team Take the picks and build this roster.

You don’t need to use a top 3 pick to draft a legit franchise QB. mahomes, josh allen, Watson, Brady, brees, cousins, Russell Wilson, Tannenhill, Herbert, Rodgers, Bridgewater, and Lamar Jackson are all current starters off the top of my head that were drafted outside the top 5.  I’m sure there are more. Some are better than others but you get my point... 

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

If someone offers a true haul and we only move back no further than 6, I might do it.  Preferably no lower than 4.   Take Wilson at 4 or Lance at 6.   Build an offense and team around them.  Otherwise stay at 2 and take your quarterback most likely Fields. 

Draft a QB who's had two shoulder surgeries, and another who opted out this year because of Covid. In the to 5 to boot. To me that's insane. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

with you on this.  Draft one, dump off darnold for whatever you can get, sign a vet.

45 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think that is a pretty simplistic view of the situation. 

Looking back, would you have taken Mitch Trubisky or traded back? 

Obviously, if the Jets think Fields or Wilson are franchise QBs they would be idiots to pass on them. But what if they think they are the next Trubisky/Haskins? Wouldn't it be smart out of that position and help rebuild this roster?

With all that said, I would bet the Jets think one of these kids are going to be a franchise QB and will take that one at 2. But again, you don't just take a QB at 2 simply because you need a QB. That is how you end up reaching for Trubisky/Haskins etc..

Trey Lance is the next Trubisky/Haskins. Both were one year starters - as was Trubisky, which is a significant indicator of failure as an NFL QB. Fields and Lawrence and Wilson (although I am not sold on him) played three seasons.  There is no comparison between these three and the two QBs you cherry picked.