Are people really entertaining scenarios where the Jets trade out of 2 and allow other teams to draft a QB (or qbs) ahead of them?

31 minutes ago, genot said:

I said, might have been. Leo was always an elite run defender. Now that he's been coached up, and has Dexter Lawerence next to him. He's much more than that. Certainly much more than a decent player

I guess by saying, “might” you can say anything to make your point, regardless of its complete lack of validity.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Majority of people are idiots.

The thought process is that the NFL's worst QB is actually good.

ain't happening with a brand new coach and a brand new staff not happening so stop

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, genot said:

I agree. Line the ones who wanted to trade the bust QW. Or referred to Anderson as a one trick pony. Or the majority who thought Leo was a jag. Everybody who posts here,(including ne), might know more than the average fan. Compared to the people who've played the game, or have been earning a living in personal. We don't know s..t

I'll expound.

If the Jets had drafted according to the consensus of the fans, we would be better off right now than what the "people who earn a living in personnel" did.  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, genot said:

Vita Vea only played in five games this year, by the way.

Ok, so take him out and my non- exhaustive, spot checked list of players 10 points better, still makes you point either dumb, or intellectually dishonest.

39 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Douglas would lose his job if he keeps Sam next year. It’s that simple 

You would think if this decision leads to another sub par season.  What makes me nervous is what Chris Johnson said:

“I’m a huge fan of Sam. I think he’s a great QB,” Johnson said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. “I think he has wonderful talent and drive and leadership. I don’t think the book has been written on Sam. He has a very big future. And I personally hope it’s on this team. That’s what I told him after the game: I hope he is a Jet going forward. But that decision will be made by Joe Douglas and our new coach. That’s about as definitive as I can get on Sam.”

47 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Link?

I thought he was a decent player who didn't live up to his draft position and now had his best season in his contract year.

Also, PFF (not an authority, but not nothing) only had him at a 79.8 ranking this year.  Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Cameron Heyward, Deforest Buckener, Vita Vea all ranked 10 points or more, above.  And that's not an exhaustive list, just a cursory spot check.  Best DT is football is complete nonsense.

Honestly outside of Donald who’s probably going to end up being the best interior dlineman of all time, DT as the Jets have shown is fairly interchangeable. Leo finally had a good season. He was never a bad player, just over drafted.  The Jets for whatever reason have undervalued the edge position and guys who score touchdowns.

1 hour ago, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

Yes

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Ok, so take him out and my non- exhaustive, spot checked list of players 10 points better, still makes you point either dumb, or intellectually dishonest.

The players you listed are great players. Leo was great this year. Going to PFF and pointing out a small difference in a questionable grading system is intellectually dishonest. 

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Honestly outside of Donald who’s probably going to end up being the best interior dlineman of all time, DT as the Jets have shown is fairly interchangeable. Leo finally had a good season. He was never a bad player, just over drafted.  The Jets for whatever reason have undervalued the edge position and guys who score touchdowns.

Agreed.  Leo was never bad.  Just underwhelming for a 6 overall pick.  6 years to have an impressive season, and just happens to be a contract year.  Not a bet I'd make.

30 minutes ago, genot said:

The players you listed are great players. Leo was great this year. Going to PFF and pointing out a small difference in a questionable grading system is intellectually dishonest. 

They are great players, and Leo had a "great" year.  Sure.  But, you invented my Leo opinion, and then offered a wildly untrue claim about him yourself.  Going to put PFF was to put some context to the notion that he's not the best DT in football.  It's imperfect, but imperfect is not irrelevant.  Would you have preferred I just jumped to calling your post dumb, and skipped any context whatsoever?

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

Majority of people are idiots.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

George Carlin

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Icer said:

You have to build around Sammy, because he had Gase as HC and Berries Hogan and Malone for like 2 games in the first part of the season

Don't worry about being ranked dead last among QB's, injuring himself by holding the ball too long, reinjuring it with a dumb run, and only cracking the mighty 230 yards barrier one time this season.

If you listened today- it seems real clear( to me at least) he’s already moved on from Sam.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

They are great players, and Leo had a "great" year.  Sure.  But, you invented my Leo opinion, and then offered a wildly untrue claim about him yourself.  Going to put PFF was to put some context to the notion that he's not the best DT in football.  It's imperfect, but imperfect is not irrelevant.  Would you have preferred I just jumped to calling your post dumb, and skipped any context whatsoever?

I thought your view on him was of a jag. I always made the case for Leo that with some impact players around him, he would have much more of an impact himself. I . He was a dominant force on that defense.I apologize if inaccurately described your opinion of him. I jumped the gun on that. A bunch of posters we're calling him a bust or a jag. Kind of lumped you in that group.My claim was that he might be considered the best DT this year. He certainly was in that group of top DT''s. At least this year.

12 minutes ago, Gibby said:

If you listened today- it seems real clear( to me at least) he’s already moved on from Sam.

Yeah, as Parcells used to say, if you have to think about whether to keep your starting QB, you’ve already dumped him. 

(He didn’t really say that, but I’m sure he thunk it plenty of times!)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

i don't think anyone is saying that.  the jets need a qb.  the falcons, lions, and broncos less so.  right now, we don't know where douglas has ranked any of the qbs coming out.  nor do we know if there are vets who are capable that are currently back ups or haven't been given a shot.  heck morgan might be the guy at this point. the jets need to get their coach first and then they can see if one qb will fit better than the other in whatever scheme they are planning to run.  so until those pieces fall in place everything is on the table.

• Upvote 1

people talk about, think about this cos..

cos, who knows? NOBODY ACTUALLY KNOWS.

it;s a remote possibility, highly unlikely , excepy, as above, in a one spot move...

just speculation...

3 hours ago, yvj said:

I think the Pats this year can close the book on the idea that you don't need a great QB to win consistantly.

Unless someone with loads of credibility for some reason really believes in Darnold, draft Fields and don't look back.  I can't imagine how anyone would think that though

• Upvote 1

I think they should draft the QB with the best physical gifts. Period.

Stop trying to find the cerebral QB who has a high floor but low ceiling

Just get the guy with the freak physical gifts.

Saw Jordan Palmer say today:

“I don't think there's a ceiling. I think Josh Allen is physically the most gifted athlete we've had play this position in the NFL."

Palmer has trained Mahomes, Watson, Darnold, Allen, etc. So that’s pretty high praise.

Go get the guy who HAS NO CEILING. Even if that means his floor is a bit lower.

31 minutes ago, Facts said:

I think they should draft the QB with the best physical gifts. Period.

Stop trying to find the cerebral QB who has a high floor but low ceiling

Just get the guy with the freak physical gifts.

Saw Jordan Palmer say today:

“I don't think there's a ceiling. I think Josh Allen is physically the most gifted athlete we've had play this position in the NFL."

Palmer has trained Mahomes, Watson, Darnold, Allen, etc. So that’s pretty high praise.

Go get the guy who HAS NO CEILING. Even if that means his floor is a bit lower.

Have you seen what he says about Darnold? 

3 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

I'd take a high second off Miami to move down one spot if they really love Sewell, but no further than that. 

dont be so sure they wont draft a QB. Tua hasnt been great.

Nobody that’s paying attention thinks that.

Two thins are happening for an almost certainty....

Sam will be gone

Jets are taking a QB at 2

A ton of variables involved in that but I can’t see a scenario that alters those two points,.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Trey Lance is the next Trubisky/Haskins. Both were one year starters - as was Trubisky, which is a significant indicator of failure as an NFL QB. Fields and Lawrence and Wilson (although I am not sold on him) played three seasons.  There is no comparison between these three and the two QBs you cherry picked.  

Who cares that Trubisky played 1 year? RG3, Marriota, Winston, Bridgewater. Blaine Gabbert. Christian Ponder. All busts and most played more than 1 year in college.  There is no easy calculus when it comes to finding a franchise QB or else every team would have one. 

The point is the same, you DO NOT take a QB at #2 simply because you need a QB because then you increase your chances of sticking your franchise with a bust for 3-4 years. When drafting at #2 you better be sure the QB you are taking is a franchise QB or else you end up like Macc. 

FYI I think there is a very good chance that come Draft night Douglas is sold on Fields/Wilson/Lance and takes one of them at 2.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, yvj said:

Doesn't matter what "people" entertain.

Only what Douglas and our TBD Head Coach think.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

they'll bash darnold and then conclude they're sticking with him.  i saw kiper today, he actually said that they should stick with darnold and cited that he had a higher grade on darnold coming out of USC than he does on justin fields.  just goes to show you how draft analysts have zero consequences if they're wrong.

i wonder what Kipers record is on picking QBs

43 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who cares that Trubisky played 1 year? RG3, Marriota, Winston, Bridgewater. Blaine Gabbert. Christian Ponder. All busts and most played more than 1 year in college.  There is no easy calculus when it comes to finding a franchise QB or else every team would have one. 

The point is the same, you DO NOT take a QB at #2 simply because you need a QB because then you increase your chances of sticking your franchise with a bust for 3-4 years. When drafting at #2 you better be sure the QB you are taking is a franchise QB or else you end up like Macc. 

FYI I think there is a very good chance that come Draft night Douglas is sold on Fields/Wilson/Lance and takes one of them at 2.  

i totally agree with you. you dont take a QB just because you need one.

and i agree that JD will pick a QB at 2

but mostly because he and the new coach are going to want  "there guy" and not to try to fix someone elses. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Miami traded up one spot and then took Fields.

There's talk they've already seen enough with Tua down there.

For our sake I’m glad they have the attention span of a house fly. To write off Tua on his Covid rookie year is borderline.... well you know the expression. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, yvj said:

That's because we have Sammy, and they don't...

4 hours ago, genot said:

Draft a QB who's had two shoulder surgeries, and another who opted out this year because of Covid. In the to 5 to boot. To me that's insane. 

Hey we live an insane world and this was truly an insane year.  Gotta think outside the box.  Two years ago Lance was considered almost on the same tier as TL and Fields.  Only thing different is he only played one game.  He didn't opt out, his team did, at least that is what I thought happened.  Sure he is raw and needs more reps, but if we learned anything from Josh Allen is don't overlook talent.   Let him battle it out with Morgan and cheap vet.  By the end of the year you are ready to go. 

Wilson has not had any issue with his shoulders in years.   It certainly didn't effect him this year.    Again, I only mention if we receive overwhelming offer to trade out of the 2nd pick, otherwise I stay put and take Fields.