Are people really entertaining scenarios where the Jets trade out of 2 and allow other teams to draft a QB (or qbs) ahead of them?

yvj

5 hours ago, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

They aren't a qb away from winning the Superbowl .... If they can get at least 2 more 1st rounders... why wouldn't you entertain that...  and you would still be able to get Wilson or Lance depending how far you move back

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who cares that Trubisky played 1 year? RG3, Marriota, Winston, Bridgewater. Blaine Gabbert. Christian Ponder. All busts and most played more than 1 year in college.  There is no easy calculus when it comes to finding a franchise QB or else every team would have one. 

The point is the same, you DO NOT take a QB at #2 simply because you need a QB because then you increase your chances of sticking your franchise with a bust for 3-4 years. When drafting at #2 you better be sure the QB you are taking is a franchise QB or else you end up like Macc. 

FYI I think there is a very good chance that come Draft night Douglas is sold on Fields/Wilson/Lance and takes one of them at 2.  

That is the point needed repeating on this site.

If it's not there, don't force it. 

This entire roster needs work; we're definitely not one quarterback prospect away from 'the good times'.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, K_O_Brien said:

I wouldn't trust Miami at the best of times. This would only be something you'd maybe consider doing when on the clock, so they had less time to pull a fast one. And again, only if you rank Fields and Wilson similarly. 

Why give a division rival a chance at improving as the Fins are a 10-6 team. Let’s say we get their pick  at 3 thinking they will take Sewell and they take Fields. This is a worst case scenario even if he is even a decent QB for the fins. Strong hell no. Think in terms of the Pats at 3 would you swap picks with them, do you trust them? 

16 hours ago, genot said:

I thought your view on him was of a jag. I always made the case for Leo that with some impact players around him, he would have much more of an impact himself. I . He was a dominant force on that defense.I apologize if inaccurately described your opinion of him. I jumped the gun on that. A bunch of posters we're calling him a bust or a jag. Kind of lumped you in that group.My claim was that he might be considered the best DT this year. He certainly was in that group of top DT''s. At least this year.

If the Giants sign Leo this year, does that mean we get their 3rd round pick?

19 hours ago, genot said:

Was Leo a jag. You thought he was. Might have been the best DT in football this year.

Are you saying the way Leo played this year was on par for every other year of his career to this point?

Leo was a Jag in every sense of the term. He turned it on in a contract year. Good for the Giants. What he did this year doesnt change the fact that he was very much a jag in his career to this point 

3 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Are you saying the way Leo played this year was on par for every other year of his career to this point?

Leo was a Jag in every sense of the term. He turned it on in a contract year. Good for the Giants. What he did this year doesnt change the fact that he was very much a jag in his career to this point 

Leo went to a pro bowl with the Jets. He had Wikerson and Richardson, that allowed him more freedom and one on one matchups. He played his ass off here. He was a real good player surrounded by jags. Now, he's playing next to a 350 beast Dexter Lawrence. It's much easier for him to make splash plays.

The whole Leonard Williams thing is interesting to me. Is it possible that we have a more talented roster than we think? That some of the current players may show vast improvement under competent coaching? I don’t pretend to know the answer to that, but makes me feel a little better about the future.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Sympathy 1

Call me crazy but I really like Lance.

I think you make a deal with the Bengals to move down to 5 and let them take Sewell. Its a trade that makes a ton of sense and it should allow the Jets to still get Lance. I get that its a bit risky if there is a team QB needy team like the Falcons that likes Lance more than Fields or Wilson or if the Dolphins move out of the 3rd pick with a team that decides to take Lance. But, right now, that seems to be highly unlikely with fields and Wilson being rated clearly above Lance. 

But, to me, Lance has the most upside and apart from playing in a weak conference and having only played a year looks like an absolute stud prospect. Raw. But with the proper coaching an absolute NFL stud. That's just me. He's accurate, athletic, big and strong, got a cannon, great leader, good decision maker, does nothing but win games, etc., etc. And he's only 20. 

For a team that is rebuilding with a new coach coming in and a ton of draft picks, drafting a high-upside developmental QB like Lance makes a ton of sense if you ask me. 

A package of Lance and the Bengals 2nd rounder plus a first or 2nd next year- something like that- maybe more, would go a long way to improve this team in the next 2-3 years when we can expect Lance to start to hit his prime and the team to be filled with young talent if properly managed. 

On 1/5/2021 at 10:59 PM, TeddEY said:

The thought process is that the NFL's worst QB is actually good.

This. Advocating to trade down is just a more socially-acceptable to say give Darnold another shot. They are one in same argument. My favorite manifestation of this position is that we should trade down this year to amass picks... to use to trade back up next year to draft a QB. Say whaaaaaaa?

11 hours ago, PepPep said:

Call me crazy but I really like Lance.

I think you make a deal with the Bengals to move down to 5 and let them take Sewell. Its a trade that makes a ton of sense and it should allow the Jets to still get Lance. I get that its a bit risky if there is a team QB needy team like the Falcons that likes Lance more than Fields or Wilson or if the Dolphins move out of the 3rd pick with a team that decides to take Lance. But, right now, that seems to be highly unlikely with fields and Wilson being rated clearly above Lance. 

But, to me, Lance has the most upside and apart from playing in a weak conference and having only played a year looks like an absolute stud prospect. Raw. But with the proper coaching an absolute NFL stud. That's just me. He's accurate, athletic, big and strong, got a cannon, great leader, good decision maker, does nothing but win games, etc., etc. And he's only 20. 

For a team that is rebuilding with a new coach coming in and a ton of draft picks, drafting a high-upside developmental QB like Lance makes a ton of sense if you ask me. 

A package of Lance and the Bengals 2nd rounder plus a first or 2nd next year- something like that- maybe more, would go a long way to improve this team in the next 2-3 years when we can expect Lance to start to hit his prime and the team to be filled with young talent if properly managed. 

I'm ok with moving down to 5 but NOT for a one year wonder.  

On 1/5/2021 at 4:53 PM, yvj said:

I don't understand this thought process . Are you telling me the Falcons, Lions, and Broncos are desperate teams but the Jets are in a position to pass on a QB in the first round?

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. Fields is overrated. Sam should be the man and the Jets should draft another QB, LOWER than 2,  because Fields sucks and is overrated, to create competition for Sam. Sam should not be given anything. He should have to earn it in an open competition. Competition brings out the best in everybody. 

16 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

The whole Leonard Williams thing is interesting to me. Is it possible that we have a more talented roster than we think? That some of the current players may show vast improvement under competent coaching? I don’t pretend to know the answer to that, but makes me feel a little better about the future.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I believe the answer to the question is "yes." Putting Tannehill aside -- I don't think he was as bad in Miami as others here believe, likely to invigor hope in a Sam turnaround -- look at Miami's three key offensive players after they escaped gase: Parker, Gesicki and Drake.

I believe the Jets offense will be about average next season if we nail the HC hire and find a competent QB next season (draft or a vet). I think our defense is a tougher problem to solve, actually. After all, Gase doesn't touch/ruin that side of the ball and they stunk also.

• WTF? 1