Houston Texans hiring New England Patriots exec Nick Caserio as GM, source says

10 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The Patriots have arguably been the worst drafting team over the past decade. This is puzzling. 

Since drafting Gronk/Hernandez in 2010 have the Pats drafted 1 good offensive skill player? 

They've drafted a bunch of QBs and all have been overhyped jags like Jimmy G and Brissett. 

They've drafted a bunch of WRs/RBs that have all been average or worse. 

• Upvote 2

The Houston organization is obsessed with the Pats to a point I've never understood.  And of course Kraft pulls every contract string he can to ___ them over in the long run.  If they had just hired a decent GM candidate instead of giving BOB carte blanche. they would still have a Top 5 draft pick! 

Well.  There you go guys... You got your dream GM.  Hope the dumpster fire you started was worth it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think that's a Belichick issue more than anything else though. He runs that organization. But it should be interesting to see how Caserio does with control over the roster.

Probably true which means there's no real sense of what Caserio can do. Just like the HCs to emerge from under Belichik he's more likely to be awful than replicate the NE success over the past twenty years.

For as much as I enjoy sh*tting on Belichik and his cheating ways and as awful as he has been at drafting, he seems to be the engine to the entire NE system. I guess he deserves credit for hiring people who are compatible with his management and coaching style but without Brady the entire system looks pretty bad. As somebody said above, outside of Gronkowski and Hernandez they've drafted a lot of clunkers on offense and without Brady it shows.

38 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Not happening. The Texans have a 25 year old star QB. They are not trading him. 

The Texans are most likely going to try and move Watt, and some other veterans to free up cap space.

I mean, if he really really really wants out, package Sam in there with a 1st or two ??‍♂️ 

11 hours ago, PS17 said:

The Patriots have arguably been the worst drafting team over the past decade. This is puzzling. 

People often say this, but its hard to find any evidence of this.  In fact its the opposite.  Define a draft as average if you get 2 good starting caliber players.  The only year where the patriots failed to get that was 2017 (Deatrich Wise was the only ok player from that draft, but they only had 3rd round picks and higher).  Well they hit that mark or exceeded it every single year from 2010-2020.

When you look at their draft position, this makes them look even better.  For instance footballoutsiders has them at 7th in total draft return.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

What is true, is that BB has an absolutely hilariously bad track record for drafting WRs (and only wrs).  He hits on most of his rbs, OLs, and lbers but consistently bombs at the outside (this is likely due to the fact that their system puts a lot of strain on how a WR reads the defense).

What's even less appreciated is how well that team does with UDFAs.  They seem to hit a few every year (see Malcolm Butler, Jonathon Jones, Meyers etc).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hael said:

People often say this, but its hard to find any evidence of this.  In fact its the opposite.  Define a draft as average if you get 2 good starting caliber players.  The only year where the patriots failed to get that was 2017 (Deatrich Wise was the only ok player from that draft, but they only had 3rd round picks and higher).  Well they hit that mark or exceeded it every single year from 2010-2020.

When you look at their draft position, this makes them look even better.  For instance footballoutsiders has them at 7th in total draft return.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

What is true, is that BB has an absolutely hilariously bad track record for drafting WRs (and only wrs).  He hits on most of his rbs, OLs, and lbers but consistently bombs at the outside (this is likely due to the fact that their system puts a lot of strain on how a WR reads the defense).

What's even less appreciated is how well that team does with UDFAs.  They seem to hit a few every year (see Malcolm Butler, Jonathon Jones, Meyers etc).

Thanks for stating the obvious so that these denyers can be corrected

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Their cap is going to be a mess for a little while.  They gave up so much for Tunsil and then were forced to sign him to that deal because of it, compounding one mistake for another.   They almost have to trade watt for anything just to get some relief.  

Unless Watt asks for a trade, I don't see them doing that. Unless you want to lose the entire team and have your QB demand a trade right after that.

11 hours ago, PS17 said:

Brady might actually be underrated. How he dragged that garbage team deep in the playoffs in recent years is mindboggling. 

and the Bucs too.  Brady is clearly why NE won, not mumbles.   Brady is the GOAT and it pains me to say it. Basically 20 years of winning.....  

15 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Unless Watt asks for a trade, I don't see them doing that. Unless you want to lose the entire team and have your QB demand a trade right after that.

I understand he is deeply loved there, but the cap is pretty strapped, and theres not a lot of players they can trade or cut that make a difference. 

Watt has the highest base salary on the team next year at 17.5 mil (the last year of his contract), they can cut him with no Dead money, or maybe try to restructure a deal, but if I were JJ perhaps you think about spending the last few years of your career with a contender?  I dont know but that number needs to come down for them to get under the cap

Other players that they would have to move, or approach about restructuring Cooks at 12 mil, Mercilus at 10.5 could be in the conversation, cobbs base salary is 8.25, david johnson is 7.95.  There are guys that you can move on from or possibly restructure if you want to keep in order to get under the cap. 

Plus they may want to resign Fuller since he is an FA.  Just tough to see many other ways to do it, but im no cap expert so someone here can probably come up with better scenarios than myself on this topic. 

I know everyone has looked up to the Pats for the last decade+ and all, but I wouldn't touch ANYONE from the personnel department of that franchise. Minus the handful of players that you could tell Tom Brady called for every year, that team has been one of the worst in the league drafting and minus brady, has a roster that's pretty Jets like regarding its lack of talent

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

When you consider that the Texans have a 25 year old stud QB (legitimately one of the most exciting players in the league), it is remarkable how bad of a situation they are in. 

The Texans are trying their hardest to stunt his growth...what a truly awful predicament.