Does Justin Fields need to throw 7 TDs?

Jetster

You look for excuses not to draft every player.  That is what you do.  Weigh risk vs. reward.  I really liked Allen, but the "rule" said that guys that are inaccurate do not improve accuracy from college to the NFL.  Somebody always breaks the rule.  That is why I prefer the end of draft/UDFA.  There you are looking at potential and excuses for why these guys have not risen to the top rather than reasons to knock them.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

70 TD's vs Bama won't be enough for some here.

Plus he played very few games which hurts continuity with teammates because of Rona. He just seems mentally tough & definitely played with a chip on his shoulder vs Clemson. I think if healthy he lights it up vs Bama. 

As soon as he was injured vs Clemson you could see the Tigers knew he couldn't run & he still got it done. I love the kids moxie & that's what this organization needs. A QB the entire team can get behind. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If that’s the case then JD should draft players and hire a HC to implement that system. Problem solved.

no its not. you cant do the same thing in the pros like u can in college. fields is not getting away with the throws he was making in the clemson game, not to mention that there is no such thing as a pocket that clean in the NFL on a consistent basis

• Haha 1

We definitely need a reset and if Trevor Lawrence goes #1 overall, which he most likely will, then the Jets have to pick Justin Fields. He has everything you're looking for in a dual threat quarterback. I pray ? the Jets don't overthink their 2nd overall pick and just send their card in with Justin Fields' name on it from Thee Ohio State University. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

So you admittedly don’t have much analysis and you know you have limitations in your understanding of things but you have a strong opinion anyways? 

No, I've decided I know just as much as all you idiots who keep telling me how I should think & are wrong 99% of the time after the fact regarding these college players. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So picking 2nd in the draft isn't good enough either and so it's time to start picking apart Justin Fields like 98% of the draftnicks here picked apart Josh Allen. I'll clearly admit, I haven't started watching College football until I moved to SC 2 years ago come April 1st. 

But here's something that is clear as day, this place was so anti Josh Allen that during the 2018 NFL draft, based on everything I read from the supposedly smartest Jet fans on this site, I thought for sure that Mike Maccagnan, being the idiot that he is would bypass the Stud QB Sam Darnold & take Josh Allen, THE WORST QB PROSPECT EVER according to most of the experts on this site.

Now I've already mentioned that I'm a novice when it comes to college ball, but I've been watching the NFL since I was a little boy. I've seen it evolve from the tough run to set up the pass league (sans Air Coryell & Dan Fouts), or Warren Moon & the run & shoot Oilers, to this hybrid league of very little defense, barely being able to hit anyone, and a multitude of rules put in to protect the QB. 

Im seeing fans that want to draft a skinny kid that looks like a girl & has had surgery on both shoulders & his hand? Now granted, what the hell do I know about this kids NFL future? Nothing, I'm not a soothsayer, but my gut tells me, are you people nuts? 

None of us have any idea what becomes of the QBs in this draft, based on the teams they go to, their development ect., but, what we do know is that QBs that can move, throw a bit on the run, have good size (Russell Wilsons, short but built, same as Murray), Lamar Jackson is just (right now) faster than everyone else on the field, are Outliers. Drew Brees was truly one of the only short pocket passers still successful in the league. Even Baker Mayfield can run a bit if need be. 

So, I'm gonna get to my point. Sam Darnold is finished here, we'll get something for him, I don't know what but I'm praying for a 2nd round pick. Jacksonville is going Trevor Lawrence, and why not? He's got the experience, he's from the South, and he'll be a shot in the arm to a struggling franchise. 

No one here today can predict the careers of Lawrence vs Fields, but there is nothing that I've seen after watching these guys on the same field that tells me beyond a doubt that Trevor Lawrence will be a better NFL QB than Justin Fields. They're virtually the same size, TL being maybe 3" taller, they both have strong arms, Fields has actually proven to be more accurate on long balls, they both can run, Fields is faster & much faster from 0-15, and they both have benefitted from Superior players around them compared to most of the competition. 

Why are we TRYING TO FIND EXCUSES not to draft Justin Fields? This is like B4 you get to the draft, it goes from, he's great, to look how many flaws we can find. Justin Fields has every single attribute, physically that succeeds in the new NFL. Size, arm strength, speed, heart, determination & toughness (proven on the biggest stages of college football). Will he succeed? Who the f*ck knows, but just based on what we do know makes for success in the NFL personally he's got IT ALL. We need a reset. New Head Coach, new young QB.

I'd be absolutely SHOCKED if come the draft in April, Roger Goodell isn't saying these words, With the 2nd overall pick in the 2021, the New York Jets select Justin Fields QB, Ohio State University. We earned that pick with one of our worst years in our sorry history! 

I’m not ready to declare Josh Allen A great player yet.  You have to keto in mind he plays on a great team that shields his weaknesses and a terrific coaching staff 

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

hard pass on Fields, he can throw 20 TD's vs Alabama. He is clearly a product of the team around him, like every other ohio state QB.

Another post that will be brought back next year for review.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

No, I've decided I know just as much as all you idiots who keep telling me how I should think & are wrong 99% of the time after the fact regarding these college players. 

Nothing like taking less information and calling it knowledge. And you created a straw man. Seems appropriate 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

fields doesn't need to throw 7 or 5 or even 1 td.  what he needs to do is to throw them when they are the right throw to make.

Td's are never the wrong throw, Nobody talks about those , just like the "right" throws that end up as picks that everyone bashes. 

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Td's are never the wrong throw, Nobody talks about those , just like the "right" throws that end up as picks that everyone bashes. 

It’s amazing how football is dissected. 
It’s played at 100 MPH & fans still want perfection, lol. 
Ooh, nice TD throw but did you see how the WR had to reach back 1” to secure it? 
Maybe when he can stick it in the face mask so they can straight arm with both arms we’ll consider drafting him.,

If Fields is under consistent pressure from the 'Bama front seven, and plays well, then that'd be something positive. 

If the Tide corners can play tighter coverage on #2 and #5, but Fields can still complete passes to them, then that'd be something positive.

If Saban shuts down the Ohio State rushing attack, and Fields puts the team on his back, then that'd be something positive.

But if yet again the Ohio State offensive line opens up nearly 200 yards worth of running space for Sermon and Fields is throwing to a wide open #2 or #5 off a play action, I'll continue to avoid the hype train. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah because it's his detractors who put too much stock into individual games.

Christ. 

All I hear from college fan boys is, LOOK AT THE COMPETITION THEY PLAY! 
And then you get to a game like last Friday & Fields lights up a Clemson team with Jesus at QB & all you get now is excuses like, WELL ITS JUST ONE GAME! REMEMBER THE ALAMO,  I MEAN INDIANA &NORTHWESTERN! 
AND CLEMSONS DEFENSE SUCKS! 

Can’t wait to read this board after the CFC. 
On a side note...Josh Myers? Yes please!

How awesome to have your Center from College? Slide McGovern over, pick Slater with Seattle’s pick. Oline fini! 

27 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

i suppose you're right.  my point was there are end zone throws that shouldn't be made and possibly lead to a turnover.

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If Fields is under consistent pressure from the 'Bama front seven, and plays well, then that'd be something positive. 

If the Tide corners can play tighter coverage on #2 and #5, but Fields can still complete passes to them, then that'd be something positive.

If Saban shuts down the Ohio State rushing attack, and Fields puts the team on his back, then that'd be something positive.

But if yet again the Ohio State offensive line opens up nearly 200 yards worth of running space for Sermon and Fields is throwing to wide a wide open #2 or #5 off a play action, I'll continue to avoid the hype train. 

You can only play who’s in front of you, the 2 best teams in college #2 down & now #1 to go. 

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Another post that will be brought back next year for review.

if we draft justin fields and this time next year he is an absolute stud, there wont be many happier then me. you can bring this post up all you want, and all the others. we all root for the jerseys at the end of the day.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, k-met57 said:

if we draft justin fields and this time next year he is an absolute stud, there wont be many happier then me. you can bring this post up all you want, and all the others. we all root for the jerseys at the end of the day.

I just don’t understand why any Jet fan wouldn’t want this kid? 
To me, he reminds me of a faster smarter more accurate McNabb. 
Plus he definitely meshes with the coaching style of like 5 guys that should be in the running as our next head coach. 
He has traits, I’m not saying he’ll be as good, but he has traits of the QBs most successful in the league right now. 

• Upvote 2