Breaking Down a Play: Why I don't trust twitter talking heads and trust my eyes instead

26 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

1. I don't expect Fields -- or any rookie QB -- to come in here and make us a Super Bowl contender in one year, nor do I expect us to fix the roster with one year of rookie and FA acquisitions. No matter what, it's going to be a process, and that's okay.

2. You want us to not draft a QB unless he's a "once-in-while" prospect, which by definition, only comes around "once in a while", and yet you seem confident that someone better than Fields or Wilson or whoever will be available in next year's draft. Sounds like a contradiction to me.

3. How long do you want to wait on drafting a QB as we build up the team? How long do you want to wait until one of those "once in a while" QBs comes out? What if we're not in position to draft him when he comes out? Waiting on those three criteria to magically align themselves isn't a good plan.

4. For me this isn't as much about drafting Fields specifically, but drafting a QB while we're in prime position to do so. If Fields is deemed the best, then so be it. But it's time to move on from Darnold, and just as you think Fields is no sure bet, there's also no sure bet that there will be a QB worth taking in 2022 and that we'll even be in position to draft the best or even 2nd best prospect available.

1. Prospects can be ruined. That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I don't, nor does anyone reasonable, expect us to be contenders next year regardless of who we put under center. But we've all seen plenty of talented players go to terrible situations and ruin their chances at success. We just did that to Sam Darnold. He was at least as good of a prospect leaving school as Fields is right now. And we ruined him because we had sh*t for talent and sh*t for coaching.

2. No no no... I was for making an exception for Trevor Lawrence (given our situation)... because he was a 'once-in-while' prospect. Fields? Wilson? No thanks. There will be players like that next year. I'm saying that for most quarterback prospects, where you go and the team that's around you counts for more than your own talent. And right now, we're in no position to be good. Hell even if we did draft your guy, I'll be advocating hard to bench the kid his entire rookie year as to spare him the disaster that is this roster. 

3. How about one more year? You give a coach a year to implement his system and put an imprint on his team, and you're giving JD two more off-seasons (including this one), to improve the roster.

4. Yea that's exactly what I was afraid of. You're forcing the move. We were all ready for three-quarters  of the season to get Trevor and solve our QB problem... then we f*** that up and you're happy to just slide in the next prospect to fill a need. I think that's disastrous. I think that's being desperate. I think that's fundamentally everything wrong with bad franchises. I think that's taking Ryan Leaf after missing out on Peyton Manning. 

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is why I don't trust your ability to evaluate a play. 

Cuck response. Go find a play and analyze it for me in layman's terms in a way people can understand, otherwise shut up and continue getting pegged like the good boy you are. 

Sorry, I don't have the tolerance to deal with people who made stupid comments like this. The point is not to defend Darnold nor is it to convince anyone who no longer supports him to want the Jets to keep him. It's to combat the "woke twitter" sentiment of making snarky one-liners, pretend to be know-it-alls, and "cancel" any other perspective that opposes their own when they don't even know what's going on in a given play. 

There are plenty of plays Sam makes where it is a horrible decision but ends positively (the one that pops into my head was a throw to Robby in double-coverage last year). There are other plays that have horrible results that were really well diagnosed. Then there are plays like we saw with Fields last week - he makes an incredible throw, but none of the above is happening... it's just snap it, hold, and throw when you see one-on-one coverage. 

Anyway, happy to walk through more plays if they're sent to me. In my opinion, football is all about process and less about the result (even though its a results-oriented business). Otherwise, happy to go through random plays of QBs less divisive than Darnold to try and give fans another perspective into what goes on.

• Post of the Week 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Cuck response. Go find a play and analyze it for me in layman's terms in a way people can understand, otherwise shut up and continue getting pegged like the good boy you are. 

Sorry, I don't have the tolerance to deal with people who made stupid comments like this. The point is not to defend Darnold nor is it to convince anyone who no longer supports him to want the Jets to keep him. It's to combat the "woke twitter" sentiment of making snarky one-liners, pretend to be know-it-alls, and "cancel" any other perspective that opposes their own when they don't even know what's going on in a given play. 

There are plenty of plays Sam makes where it is a horrible decision but ends positively (the one that pops into my head was a throw to Robby in double-coverage last year). There are other plays that have horrible results that were really well diagnosed. Then there are plays like we saw with Fields last week - he makes an incredible throw, but none of the above is happening... it's just snap it, hold, and throw when you see one-on-one coverage. 

Anyway, happy to walk through more plays if they're sent to me. In my opinion, football is all about process and less about the result (even though its a results-oriented business). Otherwise, happy to go through random plays of QBs less divisive than Darnold to try and give fans another perspective into what goes on.

This seems like an inappropriate response to someone saying they disagree with your breakdown. I'd recommend handling someone telling you you're wrong in a different manner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is why I don't trust your ability to evaluate a play. 

The guy had a long detailed post. Constructive criticism is always fine. But knocking the guys football knowledge is a bit much, without providing any specifics.

1 hour ago, football guy said:

That being said this is way over the top. I'd be happy to see more of your football breakdowns, I enjoyed the first post. But you can not post stuff like this here. This is way over the line.

It is bannable honestly. I am going to lock this and tell everyone to just walk the other way. Hopefully that will be good enough.

If anyone wants feel free to start another thread but this one is done.