Jump to content

Jets Interviewed Eric Bieniemy Today


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm not sure which candidate you are referring to - but it's been reported numerous times that Campbell turned them down. 

I don't think that was a PR thing. 

Harbaugh I'm less sure of. 

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Way down on my list...

You guys aren’t happy with anything. It’s the first interview..relax.

I would say that typing "the black guy" is poorer optics.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

To my knowledge, Campbell turned every NFL team down. 

Didn't want to leave college. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Daboll had been a failure through his entire coaching career, until this complete cluster**** of an NFL season where virtually every non-Jets offense looked dominant, and a player's improvements that happened over the course of an offseason occurred without him actually being present.  So not sure how a guy who has a grand total of 4 good months to his name with a giant asterisk next to it comes with any less questions than Bieniemy.

That's not even getting into the fact that the supposed negative connotation of working under Reid is pretty laughable when comparing the success of his coaching tree to that of the always glamours careers of Belichick assistants.

So Daboll being the OC for a defensive HC for all 3 years of Josh Allen's development doesnt count?  Allen did it alone this offseason with Jordan Plamer?

And was Daboll a failure at Alabama when he was the OC as they won a national championship?

Has Daboll coached bad offenses or on bad teams, yes he has.  But do you think its possible that someone actually gets better at their job as they get more experience?  Do you think that its possible the year he spent with Nick Saban may have helped his career?

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Andy Reid hired him to be his right hand man for his offense 

That deserves an interview for sure

im sure they got into the play calling thing 

I tend to prefer “executive “ head coaches like tomlin or carrol that don’t call the game 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

First off there isnt a single coordinator in college or pro sports whose salary wouldnt go up even if they were the lowest paid coach in the NFL, so that rules out any non-head coaches from the money argument.

The college head coaches turn us down because our ownership is awful.  Woody Johnson hasnt been able to accomplish a single thing of merit in his life.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So Daboll being the OC for a defensive HC for all 3 years of Josh Allen's development doesnt count?  Allen did it alone this offseason with Jordan Plamer?

And was Daboll a failure at Alabama when he was the OC as they won a national championship?

Has Daboll coached bad offenses or on bad teams, yes he has.  But do you think its possible that someone actually gets better at their job as they get more experience?  Do you think that its possible the year he spent with Nick Saban may have helped his career?

 

It's theoretically possible, but there's nothing yet to prove as much, considering the entire argument in his favor is an excessively small sample size that doesn't even begin to prove as much.  After all, he was a complete failure his first 2 years in Buffalo too, as he had been throughout his NFL coaching career, during which Allen showed absolutely no progress.

The point quite simply is if the same grounds for criticism of many other candidates, including Bieniemy, were applied to the 2020 heartthrob of some, he would fail the overwhelming majority of them.  The candidates all have red flags, there's no question there, but many of these arguments are drivel when the rules constantly change to fit a narrative, regardless of how self-contradictory they may be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

 

Yeah, hate to break it to you, but both Pederson and Nagy were Chiefs OCs.

your right.

for some reason the article i was reading about Reids coaching tree,  even thought it was done in 2020 didnt mention any coaching done in KC.

my mistake

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

how about its an US thing. it a Media thing.

right now we are having an argument on who was the better coach, a guy who lost he only playoff game or the guy who got us 2 QT away from the SB TWICE. currently the guy with one playoff win is wining. we dont give respect to those who do good here.

then we fly planes and rent billboards if we dont like someone. 

and thats just the fans, the media is worst.

so if your a coach in demand why would you want to come here. because of NY. nobody cares about that anymore. that SB ring will still look the same if is says Atlanta or Jax on it.

oh and add the fact that our roster has been pretty bad for 6 years now with no clear QB.

these guys only get one shot maybe 2 if they were fairly successful in the first that they have to be picky and chosey and wait for the right job, not just take anyone. the only hope we have is if they have enough respect for JD that he knows how to build a winner.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, doitny said:

looking at all this talk on Bieniemy  i think its more than fair to question how much of KCs great offense is on him.

Andy Reid is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

1. Andy Reid is an offensive guy. its fair to say he has a big input on the plays and QB development. he was a QB coach for 2 years in GB. no he didnt develop Farve but maybe he learned something cause....

2. Andy Reid has never had a bad QB.

Donovan McNabb 1999-2009

Michael Vick- 2010-2012 .... he wasn't drafted but Reid got 2 decent years from him.

Alex Smith 2013-2017..... its fair to say he didnt have too good of teams in SF, but he came to a 2-14 KC team and won 11 games and goes to a pro bowl.  btw Bieniemy was RB coach during this time.

Pat Mahomes 2018- 

is this a coincidence ? or does Andy Reid know QBs.

and if you look at Andy Reids coaching tree it is quite impressive. except none are OCs

John Harbaugh- ST

Doug Pederson- QB coach

Ron Rivera - LB coach

Sean McDermott- DC

Matt Nagy  - Offensive quality control

now there are 2 OCs..

Brad Childress- 39-35

and who can forget the legendary

Pat Shurmur - 9-23 with Browns, 9-23 with Giants..

even Todd Bowles spent a year with Reid.

and Andy Reid calls ALL the plays. 

funny as i write this im listening to the Michael Kay show and Michael and Don are saying the same thing. there not so sure on Bieniemy.

Buyer beware

 

 

 

You know who probably had similar concerns once upon a time?  Eagles fans when they hired Andy Reid.

I imagine they thought, wait, we are hiring a guy who has been a QB coach for only 2 years, but is really an OL coach, that has never called plays in his life?

I have no idea if Bienemy will be a good coach.  He's not my first choice, but his coaching path or lack of calling plays has nothing to do with it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone fixated on play calling, jets are hiring a CEO type coach to oversee entire team. The head coach will have coordinates for offense and defense. Know matter their background means very little 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Oh, there are coaches worse than Gase.  Let's hope we don't get one.

My point has nothing to do with him.  My point is that the Jets are unfortunately positioned to get the worst coaching candidate in this year's pool because of the situation we find ourselves in which is worse than it was in 2019 when Sam Darnold looked like a bonafide franchise quarterback.

There is a reason why no one is excited about the interview process and the list of names we've been made privy to has brought out indifference.  In case you haven't noticed, since Parcells each head coach we've gotten has been worse than the one before.  The reason is because we never do a HC search from a position of strength.  We always blow the timing.

SAR I

Name them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, flgreen said:

 

Almost all teams get Rooney out of the way in case they encounter a HC they want, that wants to sign, but has another interview the next day.

As far as optics go, the Jets have hired 2 black HC's in their last 4 hires.  

Are you saying that any black head coaching candidate interviewed early in the process means the team is not really interested in hiring him, only satisfying the Rooney Rule?  Whether he is the right one for the Jets is open to opinion, but Bieniemy has the credentials to earn consideration on his own, Rooney Rule or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, doitny said:

looking at all this talk on Bieniemy  i think its more than fair to question how much of KCs great offense is on him.

Andy Reid is one of the greatest coaches of all time.

1. Andy Reid is an offensive guy. its fair to say he has a big input on the plays and QB development. he was a QB coach for 2 years in GB. no he didnt develop Farve but maybe he learned something cause....

2. Andy Reid has never had a bad QB.

Donovan McNabb 1999-2009

Michael Vick- 2010-2012 .... he wasn't drafted but Reid got 2 decent years from him.

Alex Smith 2013-2017..... its fair to say he didnt have too good of teams in SF, but he came to a 2-14 KC team and won 11 games and goes to a pro bowl.  btw Bieniemy was RB coach during this time.

Pat Mahomes 2018- 

is this a coincidence ? or does Andy Reid know QBs.

and if you look at Andy Reids coaching tree it is quite impressive. except none are OCs

John Harbaugh- ST

Doug Pederson- QB coach

Ron Rivera - LB coach

Sean McDermott- DC

Matt Nagy  - Offensive quality control

now there are 2 OCs..

Brad Childress- 39-35

and who can forget the legendary

Pat Shurmur - 9-23 with Browns, 9-23 with Giants..

even Todd Bowles spent a year with Reid.

and Andy Reid calls ALL the plays. 

funny as i write this im listening to the Michael Kay show and Michael and Don are saying the same thing. there not so sure on Bieniemy.

Buyer beware

 

 

 

I love how you overtly lie about Nagy not being Reid’s offensive coordinator 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Are you saying that any black head coaching candidate interviewed early in the process means the team is not really interested in hiring him, only satisfying the Rooney Rule?  Whether he is the right one for the Jets is open to opinion, but Bieniemy has the credentials to earn consideration on his own, Rooney Rule or not.

didn’t take long for another cry babyfest about the Rooney Rule

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Are you saying that any black head coaching candidate interviewed early in the process means the team is not really interested in hiring him, only satisfying the Rooney Rule?  Whether he is the right one for the Jets is open to opinion, but Bieniemy has the credentials to earn consideration on his own, Rooney Rule or not.

You get the Rooney rule out of the way first is case you interview someone you want to hire before their next interiew.  I have no way of knowing if he is a serious candidate or not.

There are certainly black coaches who are interviewed  only because of the rule.  When you set a rule up like that up that's what your going to get.  Your the one saying that "any black head coaching candidate interviewed early in the process means the team is not really interested in hiring him",  not me.  2 of the last 4 Jets HC's have been black.   It's just smart to get that rule out of the way whether you are interested in the coach or not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Are you saying that any black head coaching candidate interviewed early in the process means the team is not really interested in hiring him, only satisfying the Rooney Rule?  Whether he is the right one for the Jets is open to opinion, but Bieniemy has the credentials to earn consideration on his own, Rooney Rule or not.

Yes he certainly has the credentials and deserves the respect and maybe would be a fine coach but the poster is also correct that in order to satisfy this horrible rooney rule black guys have to quickly get on planes and interview asap so that in case candidate #2 knocks their socks off they can be offered employment immediately.

 

The nfl has to revisit this rooney rule. Its horrible. If I were a black guy I think I would view it as patronizing. Besides, at this point there are SO MANY black coaches that it has run its course. Its not 1977 anymore.

BTW the rule kinda reminds me of old school wrestling. Good ole SD Jones would show up for a match but everyone in the arena and TV land would know that he is the nights sacrificial lamb. He always got his ass beaten lol

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Name them.

If you're asking me to name the current coaching candidates who are worse than Gase, there is no way to know, it's the typical coordinator roulette, some teams get lucky, most don't.

If you're asking me to name the head coaches since Parcells and how each was worse than the one who preceded him, that's something you can do yourself obviously.  The further removed we've gotten from Parcells roster/culture the further removed we've gotten from attracting good head coaches.

What I like is the concept of the "CEO" head coach.  What used to just be called 'plain old head coach' before the trend of giving an inflated HC title to a coordinator simply as a way to court him and convince him to come here to NFL Siberia, I thought we had that with Gase and all we needed were talented DC's and OC's reporting to him but the damage was already done.

I'd take Jason Garrett.  He managed a very difficult Cowboys situation very well, was always professional, and developed offensive studs like Zeke, Dak, and Dez.

SAR I

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SAR I said:

If you're asking me to name the current coaching candidates who are worse than Gase, there is no way to know, it's the typical coordinator roulette, some teams get lucky, most don't.

If you're asking me to name the head coaches since Parcells and how each was worse than the one who preceded him, that's something you can do yourself obviously.  The further removed we've gotten from Parcells roster/culture the further removed we've gotten from attracting good head coaches.

What I like is the concept of the "CEO" head coach.  What used to just be called 'plain old head coach' before the trend of giving an inflated HC title to a coordinator simply as a way to court him and convince him to come here to NFL Siberia, I thought we had that with Gase and all we needed were talented DC's and OC's reporting to him but the damage was already done.

I'd take Jason Garrett.  He managed a very difficult Cowboys situation very well, was always professional, and developed offensive studs like Zeke, Dak, and Dez.

SAR I

Jason Garret, the king of mediocrity. Zeke’s a super star running back, no matter who he plays for, Dez to until he lost it. Dak was a lucky draft pick. Now with that line up, and perhaps the best Oline in football for a few years he did Jack sh*t.

He isn’t doing anything here, he will be Gase lite, if their dumb enough to employ him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I love how you overtly lie about Nagy not being Reid’s offensive coordinator 

no not a lie. it wasnt in this article. in fact no coaching outside Phila is in this article. and its from 2020. i asumed it would be up to that time.

not a lie, a mistake.

Ranking every coach in the Andy Reid coaching tree, from 1 to 10 | RSN (nbcsports.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BCJet said:

So Daboll being the OC for a defensive HC for all 3 years of Josh Allen's development doesnt count?  Allen did it alone this offseason with Jordan Plamer?

And was Daboll a failure at Alabama when he was the OC as they won a national championship?

Has Daboll coached bad offenses or on bad teams, yes he has.  But do you think its possible that someone actually gets better at their job as they get more experience?  Do you think that its possible the year he spent with Nick Saban may have helped his career?

 

The better question is this:

Is the coach who up to now has been at best   mediocre, really the reason Allen has developed, or could it be because of

1. Jordan Palmer -Allen himself says this is the reason he is better, fixing his mechanics

2. Josh Allen got better and just has a much improved offense around him and much better weapons

3. It's really the influence of Ken Dorsey https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-qb-coach-ken-dorsey-focused-on-josh-allen-becoming-a-well-rounded-qb/article_dd644ce4-e0ba-11ea-916a-a77440d20a15.html

I think Daboll is the 2nd worst possible candidate. He has pretty much sucked, Allen improves so the best explanation is that it is BECAUSE of Daboll? That is seriously faulty logic, and something we have done before. The "HOT" OC should be well behind the the OC that has shown steady results over time, especially if those results are with mediocre talent.

Now if Daboll brings Dorsey as OC maybe that is OK, but I think Daboll like Bienimy is definitely the "Danger: Will Robinson" candidates for HC.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

How would they know the money being offered if they don't go to an interview.  I don't think the Jets have a neon flashing sign saying "Coach maxes out at $2M per Season!".  Usually that gets discussed at the interview, and some negotiation can occur after that if it's "their guy".

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

A lot of candidates seem to turn the Jets down, could be a money thing. I have a hard time seeing if the money was right Campbell, Paton turning down interviews.

Same story with FAs but not just about $$. One off season we missed out on three FAs where we were the highest bidder. And those are only the ones we know about.

Maybe there is some truth to the rumors that Macc was a known moob around the league and no one wanted to work with him. We also didn't do ourselves any favors with the assistant veto demand. Uh, why would you hire a HC in the first place if you don't trust him to build his own staff?? Big surprise that our two finalists had no other options except: (1) Jets; or (2) sit on couch for a year. And even one of those (McCarthy) rejected us!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me wants him to be hired to watch people’s heads explode for various reasons, but then another part of me knows he wouldn’t get a fair shot here. 
 

I have no clue if he will be a good HC. He’s not that high on my list for candidates. But some of the reasons people want to stay away I find funny to say the least 🤷🏾‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Part of me wants him to be hired to watch people’s heads explode for various reasons, but then another part of me knows he wouldn’t get a fair shot here. 
 

I have no clue if he will be a good HC. He’s not that high on my list for candidates. But some of the reasons people want to stay away I find funny to say the least 🤷🏾‍♂️

You hit the big reason people want to stay away: no one has a clue if he will make a good HC. We don’t even know if he’d make a good OC that is responsible for all the OC things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

The nfl has to revisit this rooney rule. Its horrible. If I were a black guy I think I would view it as patronizing. Besides, at this point there are SO MANY black coaches that it has run its course. Its not 1977 anymore.

As of September 2020, in the 32 team NFL there were 3 black coaches in a league where 70% of the players are black.  In this respect, we would appear to be a lot closer to 1977 than you thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, doitny said:

no not a lie. it wasnt in this article. in fact no coaching outside Phila is in this article. and its from 2020. i asumed it would be up to that time.

not a lie, a mistake.

Ranking every coach in the Andy Reid coaching tree, from 1 to 10 | RSN (nbcsports.com)

there are plenty of valid arguments against Bienemy but the Reid coaching tree is not one of them

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Jason Garret, the king of mediocrity. Zeke’s a super star running back, no matter who he plays for, Dez to until he lost it. Dak was a lucky draft pick. Now with that line up, and perhaps the best Oline in football for a few years he did Jack sh*t.

He isn’t doing anything here, he will be Gase lite, if their dumb enough to employ him. 

Jones regressed like crazy this year

 

Garret has done a Gase-ian job with the giants

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

As of September 2020, in the 32 team NFL there were 3 black coaches in a league where 70% of the players are black.  In this respect, we would appear to be a lot closer to 1977 than you thought.

The Rooney Rule stole his lunch money 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

How is stating facts “cherry picking”?

No Im stating that the person who deliberately omitted Nagy and Pedersen's roles as Chiefs OC under Andy Reid just to fit his silly narrative was cherry picking...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...