If a respected team makes a strong offer for Sam

AFJF

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Mentioned this on the JN podcast the other day and wanted to pitch it to the board.  Through several tweets from prominent insiders, here are a few things I've seen in terms of predicting what the Jets might be able to get for Sam.

Rap sheets said they an probably get a second-round pick

Breer said they should be able to get a 2 and a 3.

Matt Miller (yes, I realize he's not in the same league as Rap and Breer) said to expect at least 10 teams to bid on him.

If it ends up being 10 teams (or even in that ballpark), you have to figure one or two of them will be respected franchises, like the Saints for instance.

So if you're Joe Douglas, and you need a quarterback, does the fact that there is so much interest in Sam make you stop and wonder what it is they see in him that you don't?  I mean, if Sean Payton calls and says "Drew is retiring, so we'll give you one or two premium picks for him", doesn't that make you wonder why you're getting rid of him?  

I think they move on from Sam and I understand why, but if everyone who says "he sucks" and "he's trash" were correct, there wouldn't be anyone willing to give up anything for him.  But if it's an offer like some are predicting....

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I am much higher on Sam's ability to rehabilitate his game than most here.  I actually think that he has top-15 potential in the right situation.  However, I would have absolutely taken Lawrence and traded Sam.  No hesitation. 

As to the rest, I'm very intrigued by Fields, but he's the only one that makes me want to switch.  I am not as high on Wilson or any of the others as a 'draft him - trade Sam' pick.  But I'll freely admit I'm not an expert on evaluating college QBs and I could be very wrong.  I really liked Josh Rosen after the A&M game and never could have predicted his outcome.

I agree with you on the first part, if we were picking first this isnt even a discussion, you take lawrence and move on. 

At 2 it becomes a discussion.  I personally at this moment favor wilson to fields for a few reasons which i could go into, but honestly its early in the process, theres a lot more i would like to see and delve into on both prospects before making my decision.  Fact is i really dont love either at number 2 but I dont think you could trade down and get either so you have to take them there. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't see any of this conditional pick sh*t even being in the conversation.  At that point we are waiting another year.  We will have to sign another backup - Flacco or some other geezer that will likely cost a pretty penny.  Just keep Darnold at that point and hope he nets something on the comp pick formula.  As you state, to get anything back on the "conditions" he'd have to be considered a starter right away, which limits the teams I'm willing to take that deal from.  I want picks in the 2021 draft.  Better a 3rd now than maybe a 2nd next year.  Enough with this I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today bullsh*t.  If we wait it should be for something decent, not pixie dust.

and i dont see how you cant include it. 

you want to get paid today. well i can only pay you what Sam is worth today. and that isnt the top dollar your asking for. 

did you see the Mets trade today? they got the best young SS in the game for a failed SS and 3 minor leaguers. oh and the mets got a Pitcher. do you think they Mets paid top dollar for him? i dont. and why did Cleveland make the trade. cause Lindor can walk after the season. and if he does the mets lost little.

same with Sam.

and i dont understand the rush to have more picks now. we already have 9 for 2021. you rather a 3 now than a 2 next year? since when is a 3 better than a 2? do you have some inside info about next years draft? is it that bad?

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Not sure about that. Daboll may want someone with tools similar to Allen, the QB with which he has experienced his best career success to date. That is obviously Fields over Darnold.

I'd be more inclined to agree if the Jets were bereft of draft capital, then the argument that he would prefer to keep Sam and trade down to acquire capital to build around the QB like they did in BUF could be more compelling to me. Let's also not forget the Jets have a mountain of salary cap. You can both draft a QB and build around him massively.

I don’t completely disagree with that either. My thought process was that Daboll already coached up a kid with obvious flaws in his game when he arrived in the league. With him they could draft Sewell and have what few teams do- bookend monster tackles for a decade. Then still have a late #1 and a very early 2 to address other needs.

To be clear- I’m not saying this is what they should or will do. Or even what I’d like to see.I just feel Daboll is the guy I feel the organization would be most inclined to stick with Sam. Whereas most of the other candidates would probably be starting from scratch. 

Just now, Gibby said:

I don’t completely disagree with that either. My thought process was that Daboll already coached up a kid with obvious flaws in his game when he arrived in the league. With him they could draft Sewell and have what few teams do- bookend monster tackles for a decade. Then still have a late #1 and a very early 2 to address other needs.

To be clear- I’m not saying this is what they should or will do. Or even what I’d like to see.I just feel Daboll is the guy I feel the organization would be most inclined to stick with Sam. Whereas most of the other candidates would probably be starting from scratch. 

Yeah maybe I guess it depends on whether you think the book is written on Sam. I think we know who he is by now and it is bad.

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Maybe the better question is where have you been?
Sam has been inconsistent but has played very well at times.   Do you remember Rodgers and Watt both telling him he would be a star in this league after playing him?
This year a lot was expected from Sam.   A coming out year.  It didn’t happen.  He admittedly looked bad.  Was it lack of coaching? Loss of Preseason ? Lack of continuity with his receivers?  I don’t know but he has had success and played well at times and compiled some nice stats when the Jets won 6/8 to finish last season.  Teams looking at him see some success despite being dealt a horrible hand.

do you remember Peyton telling CJ that Adam Gase was a good coach?

ok how about this. lets say our new coach loves Cam Newton. an ex MVP. who is 2 years removed from a decent season and way better season than Sam Darnold has ever had. now i know Cam is a FA but lets say he isnt, and he has one more year left. do you trade a 2 to get Cam Newton? he had a pretty similar year to Sam.

this board would explode if we made that trade. but now if its for a 5th rd pick, why not. if he sucks we just cut him. who cares about the 5.

you make some decent points, but everything get hampered by the fact hes a FA after the year. a 2 or 3 is too high to give on someone who can walk after 16 games. 

• Upvote 1

Just because another well-respected team offers a draft pick for Sam does not mean that they are smart and the Jets are not.

First, they are taking on Sam’s salary for 2021, which is not insignificant.  Second, if they want to keep Sam, the are likely on the hook for his 5th year option, unless Sam agrees to restructure.  Third, good teams pick lower in the draft, and they may not think there will be a decent QB available when they pick in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.  Fourth, the good team will have a better infrastructure and coaching to help Sam play better.

From the Jets perspective, they can pick a top QB prospect and look him into a rookie contract.  The QB can basically develop next year, and the year after, while the roster evolves, and he still has cheap years 3 and 4 to try for a Super Bowl.

It really can be win/win for both teams.  

14 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

I don't know what other teams think of or will offer for Sam. But it got me thinking all though not exactly the same this is a similar scenario to Tannehill a couple years ago. Taken in the first round (8th) ruined by Gase and traded after. The Dolphins traded him and a 6th rounder for a 7th and a 4th round pick.  

Yep and even “ruined” Tannehill was leagues better than Darnold in every category except injuries. But it’s not like Darnold is an iron man.

• Upvote 1