Todd McShays latest mock is out, Fields to New England!

Rhg1084

55 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Aaaron Rodgers might as well have been a million years ago. People learned from that. 

Look at the last few drafts

thought about this comment more 

If scouts gotten better how does Lamar Jackson go 32? How does Mahomes go 10? How does the strongest arm in nfl history go to Buffalo after 2 other qb? 

Or in ol terms, How does David bakthairi go Rd 4?

Draft is a crap shoot... It's not what we want it to be, ever. a bet on Sewell offers less downside than any of the qb, even Trevor at 2nd overall. 

The Titans drafted Taylor lewan and Jack Conklin and built a program around the idea of running at will vs soft nickel defenses. They go into the playoffs with David quessenberry and Dennis Kelly. Conklin left last year and lewan got hurt. But the program is bigger than the player. 

This Sewell pick is a chance to redeem passing on Quenton Nelson and its a chance to replace the locker room leadership lost in the 33 trade 

More importantly it creates an identity on offense. This team can and will run at any time. 

The qb at 2 pick is a volatile move, by comparison. 

And even if they don't really want Sewell they want to build a legend around this guy to drive up the value. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

McShay is close buds with Douglas and is convinced the Jets will trade out of 2

If this were truly how it was going to roll then the Jets would need to trade out of #2.  Go back to 4 with Atlanta or 5 with Cincy.  LT isn't the need it was last offseason.  Sure, putting Sewell at LT and moving Becton to RT would be nice, but it's a luxury.  With so many other needs (including QB), the Jets would need to hold that #2 pick hostage and trade back for a windfall.  They could still take Fields later or "settle" for one of the best WRs in years in Devonta Smith from Alabama or Chase from LSU.  THEN come back later and draft OT Cosmi or Leatherwood if they want.

If it was last year's Draft I'd agree with going Sewell at #2.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

"very quick" to write off Darnold? Where does this narrative come from?

People talk about Sam like he's a rookie. The guy has started 38 games for the Jets. That's 7 more games than Geno Smith has started in his entire NFL career. 

There is definitely an argument to be made for trading down if the Jets don't like Fields or Wilson, but in that case, they need to bring in another QB to either compete with Darnold or simply replace him. 

Also, I still think you guys are undervaluing the financial benefits to resetting the rookie QB contract window.

Taking another tackle at 2 makes no sense. 

I think this is a key point. Boomer stressed this during/after the interview with JD yesterday where Douglas said the salary is a factor. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I'll focus on the Darnold stuff for now. Two big issues I see (as someone who LOVED Sam in 2018) are:

1) Sam is very young, but after 38 starts and a dramatic regression from year 2 to year 3, the problem is that his confidence is probably shot. The 2nd and 3rd years are so huge for NFL QBs, IMO. Sam's third year was bad to the point that very few guys ever amount to anything after playing as badly as Sam played this year. In other words, even if you put all of the blame on the Jets for "ruining" him, the damage is likely already done and somewhat permanent. 

2) What small improvements? This year? Sam showed some small improvements from year 1 to year 2, but he was worse this year than most of us could have possibly imagined. 

Remember that game where he threw for 200 yards and no turnovers :dohslap:

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's a conspiracy theory that Ohio state pushed their defensive line covid results out public (after being extremely secret all year) to get a week delay for fields healing. I'm not sure that would be enough. They will dope him up and he will play but these types of misadventures have a cost. 

Mine came from a ski accident. Slid off the trail and hit a snow hydrant.  Broke 3 ribs and chipped 2 vertebrae.  No treatment, you just suck it up and heal. I actually felt a lit better and got back a lot of mobility  after a week so if he can tolerate the pain from a throw, it shouldn't  hinder him. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If scouts gotten better how does Lamar Jackson go 32? How does Mahomes go 10? How does the strongest arm in nfl history go to Buffalo after 2 other qb? 

Draft is a crap shoot... It's not what we want it to be, ever. a bet on Sewell offers less downside than any of the qb, even Trevor at 2nd overall. 

The Titans drafted Taylor lewan and Jack Conklin and built a program around the idea of running at will vs soft nickel defenses. They go into the playoffs with David quessenberry and Dennis Kelly. Conklin left last year and lewan got hurt. But the program is bigger than the player. 

This Sewell pick is a chance to redeem passing on Quenton Nelson and its a chance to replace the locker room leadership lost in the 33 trade 

More importantly it creates an identity on offense. This team can and will run at any time. 

And even if they don't really want Sewell they want to build a legend around this guy to drive up the value. 

I agree the draft is a crap shoot. But you keep saying Sewell is more of a sure bet than any of the QB's and I'm just not buying that . Especially since he hasn't played a down of football this year and has has some injury problems already on a large frame. High ankle sprains for large guys who dig in and plant their feet to run block  or need to back pedal quickly on pass blocks need to be a concern.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sewell is a legit prospect, but I think if we aren't taking a QB at 2, it makes so much more sense to just trade down. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Mine came from a ski accident. Slid off the trail and hit a snow hydrant.  Broke 3 ribs and chipped 2 vertebrae.  No treatment, you just suck it up and heal. I actually felt a lit better and got back a lot of mobility  after a week so if he can tolerate the pain from a throw, it shouldn't  hinder him. 

Until he gets hit

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Until he gets hit

Toradol works pretty well. They gave me that when I had a kidney stone once , was in excruciating pain, about 10 minutes later I was like ok I think I can go home now.  I can see how these guys can go out and play injured on that stuff. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

He was in the most pain right after the hit he took and  he finished. If he can do that, playing a week later will be nothing. 

Sometimes right when an injury happens is not when it hurts the most. Sometimes takes a day or two.

They'll shoot him up with something for sure.  Could limit his mobility though.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sometimes right when an injury happens is not when it hurts the most. Sometimes takes a day or two.

They'll shoot him up with something for sure.  Could limit his mobility though.

Adrenaline is a great motivator. 

20 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

It’s Ok. We can just press the imaginary JN trade up button. 

That's right next to imaginary trade down button

And I heard if you hold them down both at once, someone will offer a 2nd Rd pick for Sam Darnold 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Toradol works pretty well. They gave me that when I had a kidney stone once , was in excruciating pain, about 10 minutes later I was like ok I think I can go home now.  I can see how these guys can go out and play injured on that stuff. 

The Ohio state team doctors are the best in the world at treating acute toradol deficiency 

Ribs? What ribs? The mcribs back at McDonald's maybe 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Adrenaline is a great motivator. 

That's right next to imaginary trade down button

And I heard if you hold them down both at once, someone will offer a 2nd Rd pick for Sam Darnold 

If his mobility and throwing motion are affected it will be very interesting to see how the Darnold contingent reacts to a sub-par performance

I think that's a perfectly logical scenario of it weren't for Fields? I'm not at all impressed with Fields but even will readily admit he's a high pick. 

What in the world would cause him to drop all the way to 15? That part just doesn't make any sense to me?

12 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Dilaudid.

Immediate relief.

And an incredible rush.  20x stronger than morphine

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Both feel too rich for the 2 pick tbh

McShay predicted Jets take Sewell at 2

Kiper just said that the Bengals at 5 would have to trade to 2 for Sewell 

Schefter says Jets want to make a BIG deal 

These 3 guys usually know people 

The Mogglez post talks about how they love Sewell and higher than most on Sam 

With Trevor at 1 a lock everyone is trying to figure out the Jets at 2

This means either jd wants Sewell or wants to create a trade down market for Sewell.

The idea he's going to pass on Sewell for fields without a trade down is not what these guys are hearing, probably from the man himself. 

Could the Jets take fields? sure. At 2 seems too rich at least if all these sources are to be believed. I also believe that the internet is very quick to write off 23 year old Sam who might be a similar prospect to these next 2 qb beyond Trevor.

My guess? The jets want a one and/or a bunch 2s to trade down and at least a second Rd for Sam. They are not going sell Sam for a 5th Rd pick like I saw one poster predict.

if that market doesn't happen jd is comfortable rolling with Sewell and trying to get value from the James Morgan pick or whatever else (looking for a qb at the Jamal Adams pick or top of 2 etc) 

15 hours ago, bitonti said:

Daniel Jeremiah's rankings are not a mock draft and he would be the first to say this 

Rankings are often contrary takes, mock is what's going to happen 

The number 2 tackle might be Jalen Mayfield from Michigan who opted out the same time as Sewell. The NW kid is good. Leatherwood, cosmi, the kid from byu etc

All could have decent careers, None are Sewell. 

There's probably a giant gap between Sewell and the next tackle taken at least in terms of measurable attributes 

How this reads to me: “This person said this and This person said that but I’m to gullible to see that, these analysis work for major networks who are trying to gain clicks” 

Because the TV screen bobble heads are what you take as the law, Daniel Jeremiah also said when asked what he think the jets will do he said “if it was him he we go QB at 2”. He said no other players are worth that value beside a QB in this draft, he said Sewell isn’t his number one rated tackle, Slater is.

The only player he even mentioned being worth that pick potentially was Kyle Pitts. He then made it a point to say “that’s why I’m saying after you evaluate everything, you look at all the players and it becomes obvious QB is the pick, you don’t get cute you get your guy”

And remember Daniel Jeremiah is also a “Joe Douglas close friend” - because you put so much stock into that. Also, why is it the bobble heads that agree with your stance you uphold as law but the ones who see it opposite you find anything to discredit it? 

Smfh a coach isn’t even hired yet guy ?

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

How this reads to me: “This person said this and This person said that but I’m to gullible 

Smfh a coach isn’t even hired yet guy ?

How your post reads to me: you don't like the news I'm reporting, you don't like what Kiper, mcshay and Mogglez have to say so you source shop until you get one that doesn't like Sewell and you personally attack me as "to gullible" 

It's real simple. I like DJ. He's just wrong to put any other tackle at 1. He's wrong that there is no trade value for Sewell, if he said such a thing 

You would rather believe that fields is the pick so you discount all the sources who say otherwise. 

So far I've got 3 sources saying that the Jets like darnold more than we do and Sewell is elite and fields might not be you have 1 guy saying that the tackle from NW (!) is better than the tackle from Oregon. What does dj say about fields? 

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

How your post reads to me: you don't like the news I'm reporting, you don't like what Kiper, mcshay and Mogglez have to say so you source shop until you get one that doesn't like Sewell and you personally attack me as "to gullible" 

It's real simple. I like DJ. He's just wrong to put any other tackle at 1. He's wrong that there is no trade value for Sewell, if he said such a thing 

You would rather believe that fields is the pick so you discount all the sources who say otherwise. 

So far I've got 3 sources saying that the Jets like darnold more than we do and Sewell is elite and fields might not be you have 1 guy saying that the tackle from NW (!) is better than the tackle from Oregon. What does dj say about fields? 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

If you can comprehend I only quoted sources because that’s all your arguments are based on. 

My personal beliefs is that a new HC and Joe Douglas would want to re start the clock with a new rookie QB on a cheap deal. Darnold can’t process defenses and has been ranked bottom 3 since entering the league.

Your “sources” -??? can’t tell you anything at this point in the process, they hear “i like Darnold”. Okay? A lot of people “like” Darnold but not as the starting QB. 

It’s probably a less than 5% chance Darnold stays, kinda a no brainer at this point. But you will be on here fighting tooth and claw about Sewell and whoever else the media will tell us the jets like at 2, until the pick is in. 

I just look forward to you “eating crow again” ??‍♂️

And by the way I looked at rashawn slater and most sources believe he's a guard 

There's currently 2 1st Rd lock tackles. Sewell at top 5 and lichenberg (sp?) from notre dame somewhere in the round 

Guys like slater or Jalen Mayfield they don't even know if these guys are first rounders 

Meanwhile Sewell is the most unique tackle anyone's scouted

Daniel Jeremiah is in left field on this one 

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Your “sources” -??? can’t tell you anything at this point in the process, they hear “i like Darnold”. Okay? A lot of people “like” Darnold but not as the starting QB. 

It’s probably a less than 5% chance Darnold stays, kinda a no brainer at this point. But you will be on here fighting tooth and claw about Sewell and whoever else the media will tell us the jets like at 2, until the pick is in. 

I just look forward to you “eating crow again” ??‍♂️

You're approaching this from the darnold sucks perspective 

You need to look at this from the Sewell is extra special perspective and perhaps the there's no elite qb besides Trevor perspective 

There's no doubt that Sam stinks, the problem is this team can't support Sam Darnold or anyone else until they restock the offense and just taking a wild swing at qb without providing him support is exactly how we got to year 4 Sam Darnold being a bust at age 23

This board complains for a decade that they don't have a brick and Mangold. Drafting Sewell and Becton back to back creates a foundation 

When I say sources by the way these are public journalists like Kiper and mcshay and Mogglez from this board. We all have the same level of access 

The difference is that I am not source shopping looking for a particular outcome 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You're approaching this from the darnold sucks perspective 

You need to look at this from the Sewell is extra special perspective and perhaps the there's no elite qb besides Trevor perspective 

There's no doubt that Sam stinks, the problem is this team can't support Sam Darnold or anyone else until they restock the offense and just taking a wild swing at qb without providing him support is exactly how we got to year 4 Sam Darnold being a bust at age 23

This board complains for a decade that they don't have a brick and Mangold. Drafting Sewell and Becton back to back creates a foundation 

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Christ what is it with you dude?

This is a deep O-Line class this year similar to last years WR class. There will be talent going into round 3. RT wasn’t that big of a liability compared to the interior. This is a QB’s league and both Zach Wilson and Justin Fields would be #1 overall picks in drafts that didn’t include Lawrence. Plus you pass on one of them at 2, they will likely goto? CAR, ATL, MIA maybe NE and they turn out to be studs then what? 

you think jets fans want to live through another Hackenberg, Watson, Mahomes situation? 

When you add those things and a new HC and GM who didn’t draft the current bottom ranked QB who has a 25 million dollar extension that has to be decided in May... Kinda a no brainer here you go QB at 2, don’t you think? This is so obvious I can’t believe it’s even a debate 

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️
both Zach Wilson and Justin Fields would be #1 overall picks in drafts that didn’t include Lawrence. 

This is our essential disagreement 

You are overrating the non Trevor qb 

Also overrating how strong the offensive line class is, most of these guys have short arms.

and you're under rating Sewell 

It's not personal, it's business 

Bad business to take a 15 overall qb at 2 because of need 

Bad business to pass on the all pro because Sam makes you mad 

Shoot if they want fields so bad they can try to see if he falls and use the Jamal Adams pick to trade up to mid Rd 1. 

People want to trade up for Sewell by the way. This is the market 

It is in every Jets fans interest to build the legend of Sewell, so that a desperate Cincinnati trades up 

No one wants to trade up for fields. I don't make the rules I just report them 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is our essential disagreement 

You are overrating the non Trevor qb 

Also overrating how strong the offensive line class is, most of these guys have short arms.

and you're under rating Sewell 

It's not personal, it's business 

Bad business to take a 15 overall qb at 2 because of need 

Bad business to pass on the all pro because Sam makes you mad 

Shoot if they want fields so bad they can try to see if he falls and use the Jamal Adams pick to trade up to mid Rd 1. 

People want to trade up for Sewell by the way. This is the market 

It is in every Jets fans interest to build the legend of Sewell, so that a desperate Cincinnati trades up 

No one wants to trade up for fields. I don't make the rules I just report them 

You will be eating crow again ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Teflon-Don said:

Fields is not dropping to 15 lol probably a slight chance if he sh*ts the bed vs Bama

He's going to be playing with broken ribs from 10 days ago, if he doesn't sh*t the bed it will be another hero performance 

Is anyone else concerned about the hero performances at Ohio state? There's only so much toothpaste in the tube.

At first I thought he's climbing the board but mcshay and Kiper are showing the opposite. if he gets messed up vs Bama worse he could end up missing his rookie season 

Joe willy was a hero too playing through pain. The jets had to rebuild him 

• Haha 1