Sam could still turn it around... these QB's did after early struggles ~ ~ ~

kelly

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

You are experiencing the same thing that Darnold truthers are experiencing: partisanship. You have a view and feel so strongly about that view, citing inconsistent/incomplete information and optics to formulate a position. You have a faulty view just as those you criticize do.

Banking on Darnold is ludicrous, but having a hardline stance that he can’t improve is also ludicrous. 

Furthermore, the situation is more complex than either narrative. Can you name how many teams who opted to take a QB in their coaches’ first year? How are those teams doing? Similarly, how many teams opted to accumulate draft capital instead of filling their QB need? How are they doing? It goes beyond Sam

Smfh you are over complicating this it’s simple, he’ has a 25 million option decision that has to be made by May. The NYJ will have a new coach coming in and will be installing a brand new system. Why not get your guy so you can mold him how you like? Why try to fix a broken QB? (for the third time in his career) 

The odds are higher that Sam is a complete bust than any rookie QB that we select at 2. Not too many Ryan Tannehills are running around the NFL and to bank on Sam becoming Tannehill is dangerous.

Kinda a no brainer to reset the rookie contract and move on at this point while you can still get something for Sam. Or we keep him and he inevitably fails, we lose him for nothing. One or more of the QBs taken after Lawrence will become studs and would be another strike against Joe Douglas. 

So much more can go wrong for the Jets and Joe Douglas if they keep Sam at this point, it’s a extreme risk I don’t think any GM would take.

This is just my opinion though 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Smfh you are over complicating this it’s simple, he’ has a 25 million option decision that has to be made by May. The NYJ will have a new coach coming in and will be installing a brand new system. Why not get your guy so you can mold him how you like? Why try to fix a broken QB? (for the third time in his career) 

The odds are higher that Sam is a complete bust than any rookie QB that we select at 2. Not too many Ryan Tannehills are running around the NFL and to bank on Sam becoming Tannehill is dangerous.

Kinda a no brainer to reset the rookie contract and move on at this point while you can still get something for Sam. Or we keep him and he inevitably fails, we lose him for nothing. One or more of the QBs taken after Lawrence will become studs and would be another strike against Joe Douglas. 

So much more can go wrong for the Jets and Joe Douglas if they keep Sam at this point, it’s a extreme risk I don’t think any GM would take.

I agree. 

I just think as we get closer and closer to the draft and the Jets really scout these QBs and compare them to Sam's game tape from this year, it's going to be hard to justify not pulling the trigger on one of these QBs. 

26 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

1. The Jets don't have to pick up the option, and the option is guaranteed for injury only. They can hedge the bet by signing him to a voidable extension that way Sam can save face and the Jets aren't on the hook for the whole option if he were to get injured. They can also decline the option and let him play out the year. Multiple options. 
  2. If the coach likes Darnold just as much if not more than the guys available then what? Why can't a 23 year old Darnold be "molded"? 
  3. Reset the rookie contract is a luxury, but is it a no-brainer? It would be if you like the QBs available and you have an expensive roster with veterans and expiring contracts. If you're not crazy about the QBs available or you prefer to trade down, you can do so knowing you have a clean cap for the foreseeable future. Douglas won't be spending big in FA other than this year, and other than Maye (this year) Jets don't have to pay anyone top 5 money anytime soon.
  4. People who do this for a living don't rely on odds on decisions that are so arbitrary. It's not like using analytics on 4th down to make a decision to go for it... there are a lot more factors that factor into the decision that aren't quantifiable. 
  5. Taking a QB this year is more risky for a GM than bringing back the incumbent. If that new QB fails, you lose your job. If the incumbent fails, you get to live another 2 drafts. Regardless, Douglas isn't going anywhere for 3 years at minimum. 

P.S. I respect your opinion and don't disagree with you on all of them, but some of these opinions are lack informed judgment and are oversimplifications of a complex set of factors

• Upvote 1

I'm new here, but not to being a jet fan. I trust JD, & if he and the the new coach think Sam can stay or go, so be it. ( I'm for the betterment of the team.)I personally say keep Darnold for this do- or -die season, and trade back. I completely understand the reasons for dumping him, and they make perfect sense. I'd just like to see Darnold with a full season with a competent head coach, new weapons, more improvements on the OL, & etc cliches. If he sucks, dump him. Another thought, could you do your job well looking into Adam Gase's eyes for 2 damn years?

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

22 hours ago, Suffering since 77 said:

I'm new here, but not to being a jet fan. I trust JD, & if he and the the new coach think Sam can stay or go, so be it. ( I'm for the betterment of the team.)I personally say keep Darnold for this do- or -die season, and trade back. I completely understand the reasons for dumping him, and they make perfect sense. I'd just like to see Darnold with a full season with a competent head coach, new weapons, more improvements on the OL, & etc cliches. If he sucks, dump him. Another thought, could you do your job well looking into Adam Gase's eyes for 2 damn years?

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

agreed !  ?.. i think that's what our new gm is gonna end up doing:beer:  

On 1/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, RedBeardedSavage said:

At some point we have to stop making it about the quarterback and start talking about the other ten guys on offense. 

I can't remember a worse offensive roster in the NFL. Even the suck-for-Luck Colts had Reggie Wayne. 

Agreed.  No QB will succeed you you give him nothing to work with.  When you have Bowles/Gase as your coach and Crowder(who I love by the way) as your top reliable weapon you arent going to succeed.  The Chiefs are loaded with talent around Mahomes and a gear coach.  The Bills are loaded with talent around Allen and great coaching.  Most important thing is to find a good coach and build a team.  One guy won’t win it for you 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  No QB will succeed you you give him nothing to work with.  When you have Bowles/Gase as your coach and Crowder(who I love by the way) as your top reliable weapon you arent going to succeed.  The Chiefs are loaded with talent around Mahomes and a gear coach.  The Bills are loaded with talent around Allen and great coaching.  Most important thing is to find a good coach and build a team.  One guy won’t win it for you 

agreed !  ?.. i hope our new gm is successful in building out team:beer:  

• Upvote 1