What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

Also, I do think that this might be a more real possibility than some think.  Watson did not appear happy with the GM situation.  The Texans are a long way off even with Watson and have little draft capital.

It would be a bold move, but I could see him moving.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Watson presumably wants Bieniemy as his coach, so you’d have to do a package deal. Even so, how do you not do this? 

Watson has an out in his contract after 2023. So unless the Jets show amazing aptitude in building a team and a staff, you risk having him for 3 years. Somewhat of a gamble.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Would that qualify as a big trade for JD? 

If those reports are true JD needs to get on the phone right away.We would have to give up a lot. Offer Seattle’s 2021 & 2022 1st rounders and Darnold for starters. Try to hold on with the #2 pick if you can.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold, both firsts this year, next year’s first.

No.  Not next year's first.  No way.

Watson comes in with a $40M/year contract.

Justin Fields comes in with a rookie contract.  Yes, Watson is a known commodity and top-5 QB and Fields is completely unknown, but there is a cost to that contract that offsets a lot of that.  Two firsts and Sam is more than enough for me.  Honestly, HOU, with no picks in rounds 1 or 2 this year and cap issues, would probably leap at that offer. 

HOWEVER...

Watson carries a $50M dead cap hit if they trade him this year.  $35M after June 1 (which doesn't help since that's after the draft).  They would literally not be able to field a team.  So unless the cap is MUCH higher than projected, I don't think it's possible for them to trade him this year.

[edit: My mistake.  This was the 'cut' money.  The trade money is lower as pointed out in a reply later on]

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If those reports are true JD needs to get on the phone right away.We would have to give up a lot. Offer Seattle’s 2021 & 2022 1st rounders and Darnold for starters. Try to hold on with the #2 pick if you can.

Their conversation would start and end with at LEAST our #2 this year. Might as well let that pipe dream completely go. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

You trust your instincts if you feel there is a qb in the draft that would help the Jets. Watson is a win now qb, and the Jets are not a win now team. And would be less so with the draft assets they would need to secure him.

Under different circumstances I might agree with that conceptually, but Watson is 25 years old.  The dude has a LOOOOOOONG career ahead of him, and is proven as an insanely talented QB.  He is a guy you can build your entire team around, and even if they gave up a ton to get him, they'd still have plenty left to start putting a better team together around him this year, and his presence would be an immediate selling point to FAs.

If we were talking about a QB near retirement then it's an entirely different story, but when you're talking about a guy who will have some rookies nearly as old as him, there's nothing "win now" about it.

• Upvote 4

I'd give #2 and Darnold, and take some other terrible contract off their books. 

You guys suggesting we give our entire draft + next years picks are nuts.

The texans won 4 games WITH watson this year. 

You need to factor in how cap ****ed the texans are. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Nothing.

Rebuilding teams that win Super Bowls have quarterbacks on rookie deals.

SAR I

Broncos, 49ers, Falcons, Patriots are fairly recent teams off the top of my head that were in or won the Super Bowl with QB's not on rookie deals.

If Houston is dumb enough to make Deshaun Watson available, the Jets would be foolish to not be interested. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You guys are fcked. Seriously.... 

You wanna talk about HOU's roster being a ways off?

WE HAVE THE WORST FCKING ROSTER IN THE LEAGUE.... yea lets trade all our capital for Watson. 

Hi Macc, how are you doing today?

Why? That leaves us with Deshaun Watson and still have our #1 next year. You still got the rest of your picks to build with. 

Either way, this is Madden scenarios, nothing like that is happening. But fun to play out.