What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

40 million per year for Watson. Thats alot of gap and would severely cripple JD's options to improve a roster that is devoid of talent.  And on top of that, surrender multiple picks. Thanks but no thanks. Unless we can get him for a song and a dance, PASS.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Adams is a known quantity. If you want what he does than you trade what you need to or are willing to. Sam is a mystery box.

The point is that peoples thoughts on how our players are viewed, what people would offer for them in a trade havent panned out.  Leo and Adams both brought back more than was predicted here.  

The thought remains the same.  

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The point is that peoples thoughts on how our players are viewed, what people would offer for them in a trade havent panned out.  Leo and Adams both brought back more than was predicted here.  

Yes but for the most part, those who thought Adams was trash think Darnold is gold. The word for people like this is “wrong.”

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If Watson gets traded you can go ahead and move the Texans ahead of the Jets for the worst franchise in the league. If they're dumb enough to let it get to that point, give them both of Seattle's firsts (2021, 2022) and Darnold. Take Sewell at #2 & sign Robinson. Step 3, profit.

Well said. 

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes but for the most part, those who thought Adams was trash think Darnold is gold. The word for people like this is “wrong.”

And the point still is peoples predictions on returns in a trade have been way off.

No one thinks Darnold is gold.  At best they believe that the talent that was seen at USC, the talent that had him highly rated coming into the draft hasnt been ruined and that some team will obviously have to believe they still can develop it, that hes not ruined and done at 23.  I have no idea what to think but who really knows

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

And the point still is peoples predictions on returns in a trade have been way off.

No one thinks Darnold is gold.  At best they believe that the talent that was seen at USC, the talent that had him highly rated coming into the draft hasnt been ruined and that some team will obviously have to believe they still can develop it, that hes not ruined and done at 23.  I have no idea what to think but who really knows

I grant that it’s difficult to predict what will happen. But Adams is an all pro. Many of us said a win now team would pony up. Two firsts did surprise though and gives confidence in JD. I hope he gets more for Darnold than I think he’s worth, obviously.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

40 million per year for Watson. Thats alot of gap and would severely cripple JD's options to improve a roster that is devoid of talent.  And on top of that, surrender multiple picks. Thanks but no thanks. Unless we can get him for a song and a dance, PASS.

Watson wouldn't be over $40m per year until his next contract, if traded:

2021 - $10.5m

2022 - $35m

2023 - $37m

2024 - $32m

2025 - $32m

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If Watson gets traded you can go ahead and move the Texans ahead of the Jets for the worst franchise in the league. If they're dumb enough to let it get to that point, give them both of Seattle's firsts (2021, 2022) and Darnold. Take Sewell at #2 & sign Robinson. Step 3, profit.

So the Texans are gonna trade us Deshaun Watson and not ask for #2 overall?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I understood your point. Mine was that the two players you mentioned were known quantities whereas Sam isn't unless you're accepting that he sucks which doesn't exactly raise his value. As a QB there will of course be a bump in his value, but by how much is the question. If teams know the Jets are drafting a QB and looking to move on form Sam they won't need to offer as much unless multiple teams want him. We were looking to move on from Adams but didn't need to. Drafting a QB at 2 kind of prompts the need to move Sam as we aren't going into camp with both.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

So the Texans are gonna trade us Deshaun Watson and not ask for #2 overall?

Of course they’re going to ask for it.  Doesn’t mean they’ll get it.  They may get offered the Seattle picks thinking they will get their QB in 2022 with two first round picks one of them being their own which will be top three.

If Douglas makes that trade I would expect him to trade out of #2 to recoup the picks they gave to Houston.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You’re including his prorated bonus. Houston eats that part of his cap.

If he were to be traded to the Jets, here are his cap numbers:

2021: 10.5

2022: 35

2023: 37

2024: 32

2025: 32

That’s more than reasonable for a top 5 QB.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

The 40 mill doesn't kick in right away. I believe the Jets would have two seasons before the number gets ugly. Plenty of time to put a team around him. That's also assuming the contract doesn't get renegotiated.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The 40 mill doesn't kick in right away. I believe the Jets would have two seasons before the number gets ugly. Plenty of time to put a team around him. That's also assuming the contract doesn't get renegotiated.

I wouldn't do it. This team's roster is mediocre.  And it would cost to many draft picks and money. I'd roll with Fields who could very well be just as good or better than Watson.  Rookie QB that can grow with the team. Hold onto those draft picks and draft quality players at positions of great need,  This team aint going anywhere for a few years anyways.  By 2023, we could be in a position to make some serious noise. Thats only 2 seasons away. Sit Fields for half the season.  BY 2023, he'll be more than ready to strut and challenger for a playoff spot.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

I wouldn't do it. This team's roster is mediocre.  And it would cost to many draft picks and money. I'd roll with Fields who could very well be just as good or better than Watson.  Rookie QB that can grow with the team. Hold onto those draft picks and draft quality players at positions of great need,  This team aint going anywhere for a few years anyways.  By 2023, we could be in a position to make some serious noise. Thats only 2 seasons away. Sit Fields for half the season.  BY 2023, he'll be more than ready to strut and challenger for a playoff spot.  

I like the optimism for our draft picks but you can’t count on that-we all hope we hit on all the picks. 

I don’t disagree on n the general though  however in 2 years we could be finding out what most qb needy teams do- they guy we drafted ain’t the one. There’s not many guarantees in the draft it’s likely Watson is better/more impactful  than the 3 picks we’d make in the trade - no guarantee we don’t pick a bust or below expectations performer. 

I see both sides on this potential/hypothetical situation. But Getting a top 5 QB for the next 10-14 years for sure now... man. Tough one 

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If the Seattle pick can get us Watson sign me up 

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Of course they’re going to ask for it.  Doesn’t mean they’ll get it.  They may get offered the Seattle picks thinking they will get their QB in 2022 with two first round picks one of them being their own which will be top three.

If Douglas makes that trade I would expect him to trade out of #2 to recoup the picks they gave to Houston.

If that’s all it takes to get Watson it’s a no brainer.  We are basically trading Adams for Watson 

I don’t care about his contract. We just wasted a quarter billion on Mo, Bell etc 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

I like the optimism for our draft picks but you can’t count on that-we all hope we hit on all the picks. 

I don’t disagree on n the general though  however in 2 years we could be finding out what most qb needy teams do- they guy we drafted ain’t the one. There’s not many guarantees in the draft it’s likely Watson is better/more impactful  than the 3 picks we’d make in the trade - no guarantee we don’t pick a bust or below expectations performer. 

I see both sides on this potential/hypothetical situation. But Getting a top 5 QB for the next 10-14 years for sure now... man. Tough one 

JD has hit on his top picks in his first draft.  And the talent available in next draft is just ridiculous. Just no way he whiffs on his first 3 picks.  

13 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

JD has hit on his top picks in his first draft.  And the talent available in next draft is just ridiculous. Just no way he whiffs on his first 3 picks.  

I’m a fan of JD. I am optimistic for this draft. I do t think he whiffs on the first 3 either.  I was just stating that it’s possible for not all 3 to live up to expectations and Watson be more impactful than them. 

I said the minute we lost the top pick I want to trade the 2nd overall and do a complete roster overhaul. 

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

I’m a fan of JD. I am optimistic for this draft. I do t think he whiffs on the first 3 either.  I was just stating that it’s possible for not all 3 to live up to expectations and Watson be more impactful than them. 

I said the minute we lost the top pick I want to trade the 2nd overall and do a complete roster overhaul. 

You cant do that. We need a QB and may not have a chance like this again. 

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

You cant do that. We need a QB and may not have a chance like this again. 

I mean you could there’s no guarantee. Say we only moved back 1 or 2 spots and assumed Fields fell or JD likes another QB    Or. JD only feels Lawrence is worth a high pick and there isn’t another qb worth a 1st rd pick 
anything is possible. 

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If they're dumb enough to be in a situation where they have to trade Watson I assume they're dumb enough to be fleeced.

Even if they are idiots they’ll get a haul for Watson. It will be an epic bidding war

Some of these responses are kinda hilarious.

Watson is a top 5 guy to build around. If the Jets are lucky enough for Houston to listen the absolute best case scenario would be:

1.2 (Our First), 1.24. (Seattle pick), One of the First next year and Middle Round Picks(or Darnold) For just Watson. Thats on  the low end. 

Watson’s contract is Fantastic and with his low cap hit this year it would be an all out bidding war. 

Best thing we have going for us is new Gm's love draft picks and we happen to have the most draft ammo in the game right now. We would absolutely be the first phone call if your the Texans and you have to Thank Joe Douglas for that. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Probably. It would be a spot where Watson is in control though. If we hire bieniemy and that's who he wants as his coach it could be a big deal.

That is true someone mentioned he has a no trade clause 

On 1/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

If they're dumb enough to be in a situation where they have to trade Watson I assume they're dumb enough to be fleeced.

Why would they get fleeced? Even if Watson forced his way out, how many NFL teams would not make offers to trade for him? Maybe 6?

JN be like George Constanza....”

”Mr.Steinbrenner, I think I may have found a way for us to gets Bonds and Griffey and we wouldn’t have to give up that much!”

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Much like the Adams situation, there are signs starting to show that Watson and the Texans may not be able to repair the relationship

Don't like seeing his name attached to the Dolphins already.

Can’t blame him for trying to force way to Miami. Not a terrible place to live and play. I want nothing to do with Watson and Josh Allen in our division- Jesus. 

Tua, 3rd overall, 18th overall, Miami 3rd rounder this year plus 2022 1st rounder.