What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

That's my guess as well.  Texans leadership should be doing everything they can to keep him.

Texans leadership is dumb as ****. Same group of yokels that sent Hopkins packing and unloaded Clowney for crumbs. The fact that they let the Watson situation deteriorate to this point means they are all still on the same train. Arizona and Seattle ripped them off. Why can't we?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt. What is helpful that Douglas would be dealing with a GM not fans (or sportswriters) who can't compute the calculation and just see "1st rounder" - is the #1 has the trade-down value of at least two #1s (with one of them still being around #10, give or take, and the other unknown but probably #15 +/-5) on top of #23. Or move down further (all in theory) and now it's 3 #1s, a #2 and a #3

The problem is this is a PR nightmare for the Texans, and none of the screamers saying "that's less than the Jets got for Jamal Adams" are going to listen to the rationalization that #2 this year and the Seahawks' 1st rounder 2 years after the trade are not close to the same thing. 

Are you saying people in Texas can't do math because I am totally all about that

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cp561 said:

Still waiting on those examples that show Watson to be a head case. From everything I've heard hes nothing but a stand up guy

I appreciate your support for Watson and believing he is a standup guy - he is that, without a doubt. But he has his warts. If our Jets were a QB away from being real contenders, I would be all over trading for him. We are not, the cost to acquire him will be prohibitive (Bill is no longer coach / GM), he is a bit of a diva and has acted like one since he signed his new contract. We (Houston market) have seen a progression of that attitude recently. I will not try to go back to quote everything that we hear locally. It's not worth my time. I enjoy this site, have been a member from the old site to this one for 17 years - but do not post much. Just leave it at "I personally am not in favor of trading for him". 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Are you saying people in Texas can't do math because I am totally all about that

No argument, but so many people here can't either, fwiw. 

I was actually picturing the Jets' slimy beat writers when I was thinking of who'd write an article saying the Jets got more for Jamal Adams than they gave up for Watson. Just writing it with a thick Texan drawl or something lol. I assume that comes through on paper. 

2 hours ago, TexJet said:

I appreciate your support for Watson and believing he is a standup guy - he is that, without a doubt. But he has his warts. If our Jets were a QB away from being real contenders, I would be all over trading for him. We are not, the cost to acquire him will be prohibitive (Bill is no longer coach / GM), he is a bit of a diva and has acted like one since he signed his new contract. We (Houston market) have seen a progression of that attitude recently. I will not try to go back to quote everything that we hear locally. It's not worth my time. I enjoy this site, have been a member from the old site to this one for 17 years - but do not post much. Just leave it at "I personally am not in favor of trading for him". 

@TexJetThanks for the local perspective.  I'm curious.  What kind of attitude from Watson?

1. Antonio Brown stuff? Detrimental to the team - arguments with players/coaches, tardiness, temper tantrums, pointing fingers?

2. Le'Veon, Prez stuff? - diva, me first - "I wanna get paid and I don't care about anything else"

3. Complaints about how the team is run?  management sucks! coach is stupid!

Combo of all three?

• Thumb Down 1

46 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Thats fine but unless I actually see ANY examples of him being a diva I'm not buying it and we can agree to disagree. The fact that a good guy such as Watson is making this much of a stink to get out of Houston, tells me that the Texans organization is truly rotten at the core. He didn't wake up one morning and decide to take this course, this has manifested for a long time now

Deshaun's only crime is not wanting to be a Houston Texan. Frankly I can't blame him and I'd welcome him with open arms

• Upvote 1

Texans signed Watson to a new, 4 year, $156M contract about 4 months ago. Since then, he has been acting like he should be making decisions for the team. He has repeatadly claimed the Texans are not supporting social justice practices, has been critical of their decision making process, and has been very busy on social media airing his grievances  (there are more issues beyond the above). McNair has made every effort to appease Watson, including asking for permission to interview Watson's preferred candidiate for HC (Bieniemy) who can not seem to get a HC job in spite of all the interviews he's had in the past 2 years. Don't be surprised if he ends up as the Texans new HC, just to appease Watson.

Sorry, but this all reaks of a player wanting to mandate how a football team operates. Granted, he had issues with Bill O'Brien and his leadsership - rightfully so. But O'Biren is gone, damage has been done. Now move on and quit acting like a diva. The team has been very supportive of Watson throughout his career. He just wants out, wants to go to a contender (Dolphins to be precise). Sorry, but I don't believe that he will change the Jets fortunes. He will cost a ton of money, lots of high draft picks, and delay the process that has beeen started of changing the culture and overall talent of our football team. To DCJet - items 2 and 3 apply. That's the last of this I will post. To be honest, I do not see a scenario where a potential Jets trade for Watson manifests itself. Time will tell.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The Jets are finally in a position to build their franchise with draft picks, and everybody here wants to immediately cash them in for a disgruntled QB who will not go quietly. Stay with Darnold or draft Fields. Keep Darnold and pick up a veteran QB. Use the picks. Trade down if you can. Say 'No' to Deshaun Watson.

Depends on the amount we would have to give up but he would improve the team drastically. This is one scenario that GMs think about when stockpiling picks. JD knows how to navigate trades and it might be his best skill he has shown thus far. He wouldn’t get the wool pulled over his eyes. 

Nothing. Keep the picks and stay with Sam. Watson is trouble. Plus I'd rather take a QB lower down. We need to build Offensive line,  pass rusher and WR.
Agreed. We need OL, receivers, pass rushers, CB and TE in place before we ruin another QB. Put the team in place then we look for a FQB

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

Agreed. We need OL, receivers, pass rushers, CB and TE in place before we ruin another QB. Put the team in place then we look for a FQB

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

Oh right because they’re just hanging out in abundance waiting for teams to be ready for them. You can’t control the timing of an opportunity, but you can control your response to it. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexJet said:

Texans signed Watson to a new, 4 year, $156M contract about 4 months ago. Since then, he has been acting like he should be making decisions for the team. He has repeatadly claimed the Texans are not supporting social justice practices, has been critical of their decision making process, and has been very busy on social media airing his grievances  (there are more issues beyond the above). McNair has made every effort to appease Watson, including asking for permission to interview Watson's preferred candidiate for HC (Bieniemy) who can not seem to get a HC job in spite of all the interviews he's had in the past 2 years. Don't be surprised if he ends up as the Texans new HC, just to appease Watson.

Sorry, but this all reaks of a player wanting to mandate how a football team operates. Granted, he had issues with Bill O'Brien and his leadsership - rightfully so. But O'Biren is gone, damage has been done. Now move on and quit acting like a diva. The team has been very supportive of Watson throughout his career. He just wants out, wants to go to a contender (Dolphins to be precise). Sorry, but I don't believe that he will change the Jets fortunes. He will cost a ton of money, lots of high draft picks, and delay the process that has beeen started of changing the culture and overall talent of our football team. To DCJet - items 2 and 3 apply. That's the last of this I will post. To be honest, I do not see a scenario where a potential Jets trade for Watson manifests itself. Time will tell.  

Thank for sharing your opinion.

1 hour ago, Drums said:

The Jets just donated 1 mil to social justice organizations a few weeks before the season ended and regularly speak out in support. Hopefully that would help wine and dine Deshaun. 

Keep him away from kyrie 

39 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh right because they’re just hanging out in abundance waiting for teams to be ready for them. You can’t control the timing of an opportunity, but you can control your response to it. 

Don't worry, once the rest of the team is ready and in place, we'll just pluck ourselves a nice, shiny new QB from the Franchise QB Tree!

It's that easy!

• Haha 2

To those thinking the price is too high. This is for a QB not a RB. Dude can play for another 15 years.

Immediately, this year and every year's free agents listen to our offers.  Without him, they don't.

(Watson + FA-WR) > (#2pick + 2midtolatefirstrounders)  
It's not even close.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Seattle's first this year,
Both first next year.
Try to keep #2 to trade for a ton of picks to try to recoup. If they want Darnold, throw him in too.( Or trade him for even more draft picks to another team.) I know it's highly unlikely, but could you imagine???
If Watson really wants to come here, he could maybe make it possible with some more Jamal moves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, Suffering since 77 said:

Seattle's first this year,
Both first next year.
Try to keep #2 to trade for a ton of picks to try to recoup. If they want Darnold, throw him in too.( Or trade him for even more draft picks to another team.) I know it's highly unlikely, but could you imagine???
If Watson really wants to come here, he could maybe make it possible with some more Jamal moves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using JetNation.com mobile app

SEA somehow convinced CHI to give up two first rounders for Rick Mirer who was even worse than Darnold. That was a long time ago, though.

My maximum offer

#2 overall

Next years Seattle 1st 

Sam Darnold/whatever we get for Sam in a trade

This is more than generous. Watson has a huge contract and is demanding a trade, we have all the leverage. The #2 overall pick isn't just "a first" especially in a strong QB draft. That pick is probably worth 4-5 late first round picks in terms of value. 

• Upvote 1

A short recap of the awesome Jets draft picks. Keep in mind this is a very short list that could be expanded quite a bit with ease. I trade for Watson provided I feel I can still build a team around him. We should keep this list in mind when people talk about having as many picks as possible.  I'd like to build through the draft too, but it isn't a black and white process.

10. Bryan Thomas, DE, 22nd pick in 2002

Thomas sneaks into the top-10 mainly because the Jets could have taken Ed Reed here. While Thomas was a solid Jet for over a decade, defensive end was a position of strength at the time with Shaun Ellis and John Abraham. The plan to move Ellis inside never really worked and Thomas' career got off to a slow start.  

9. Dewayne Robertson, DT, 4th pick in 2003

Robertson was underappreciated because he was a solid starter in his five Jets seasons, but never lived up to his draft status before his career was cut short by a knee-on-knee bone condition. The Jets traded the 13th and 22nd picks to move up and select Robertson and it's scant consolation that all the players they had been linked with at the time also turned out to be busts.

8. Geno Smith, QB, 39th pick in 2013

Smith was once considered a potential first overall pick and the Jets couldn't resist taking him when he dropped into the middle of the second round. After an inconsistent rookie year, Smith regressed badly in year two. Before he could bounce back in 2015, the embarrassing locker room incident with IK Enemkpali effectively ended his Jets career.

7. Mark Sanchez, QB, 5th pick in 2009

Sanchez had a more successful Jets career than Smith and arguably extending him prematurely was a bigger mistake than drafting him in the first place, as he regressed thereafter. However, this was under the old rookie scale, where a failed top-five pick was much more damaging financially, even though the Jets had pulled off a coup by effectively trading some spare parts and dead weight to move up to that spot.

6. Dee Milliner, CB, 9th pick in 2013

Entering his second season, some people were projecting Milliner to be a potential Pro Bowler, after a strong finish to his uneven rookie campaign. However, following an early season Achilles injury, he would never again make it onto the field on defense in an NFL game. Milliner is still only 27 and should be hitting his peak as a core contributor. Instead, he's another wasted top-10 pick, albeit one that was partly due to misfortune. 

5. The "Idzik 12", 2014 draft

First-round pick Calvin Pryor or second-rounder Jace Amaro were arguably bad enough picks to warrant inclusion on this list. However, the sheer futility of a draft where you have 12 picks and have almost nothing to show for it a few years later cannot go unrecognized. General Manager John Idzik, in what would be his second and final draft with the Jets, opted not to make any trades. Of the players selected, only Quincy Enunwa is still on the Jets and even he was released initially only to later make it back after a spell on the practice squad.

4. Mike Nugent, PK, 47th pick in 2005

After Doug Brien's exploits in the 2004 postseason, Herm Edwards somehow convinced the front office that the Jets were a kicker away from being a contender, so - after a pre-draft trade that saw the Jets move out of the first round - they used their first pick on one. If this strategy wasn't foolish enough, Nugent wasn't even that good, moving on after four underwhelming years. Compounding matters, the two players they got in the trade for their first rounder, tight end Doug Jolley and second round cornerback Justin Miller, were also bad.

3. Christian Hackenberg, 51st pick in 2016

This was a similar situation to the Smith pick. Hackenberg fell out of the top 50 and the Jets couldn't resist taking a flyer on a player with his tools, ignoring analysts who felt Hackenberg was too inaccurate to play in the NFL. He was gone within two years having never seen the field.

2. Kyle Brady, 9th pick in 1995

Brady was a solid blocker, but never close to being worthy of a top-10 selection. In terms of opportunity cost, this one stung as the fans had been chanting for Warren Sapp. The Jets, scared away by off-field concerns, ended up passing on Sapp, who won a Super Bowl ring and went to seven Pro Bowls.

1. Vernon Gholston, OLB, 6th pick in 2008

No sacks, no interceptions, no fumble recoveries? No doubt: Gholston tops this list easily as the Jets learned a valuable lesson about overreacting to workout numbers and trying to turn players into something they are not.

Passing on a 25 year old franchise QB for some draft picks?

You lose willy wonka GIF

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, jgb said:

100% Tua is worth a ton more than Darnold. Just like mega-bust Rosen was traded for more after one year of suck than Darnold will be after 3. Tua also has 3 or 4 cheap years left and he objectively did not suck. 64% comp, 11/5 TD/INT. 87 QB Rating. If Darnold put that up in any 9-game stretch of his career, hordes of Jets fans would be screaming to extend him immediately.

F78494A1-618B-47C7-82D4-382667CCAED0.thumb.jpeg.2ef9a5cda9c502cf65f949c4abb2b7f7.jpeg

@GaryM

Jimmy Fallon Nod GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon