What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

44 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You trust your instincts if you feel there is a qb in the draft that would help the Jets. Watson is a win now qb, and the Jets are not a win now team. And would be less so with the draft assets they would need to secure him.

Deshaun Watson is 25 years old.  He's a win now QB and a win later QB. 

You draft QB's high with the hopes you end up finding one worth paying, like Watson.  A move like this, however unlikely, would be a shortcut to a young franchise QB.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If JD is willing to include the #2 pick in any offer scenario for Watson, he would be a Jet. Other than Jax, no other team can offer such a valuable pick.

Now if the Jets only give up the #2 pick then I'm interested, but they need every other pick to make the roster something worth getting Watson for.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Are people really serious about giving up like 2 or 3 1st round picks for this guy? Plus he’s gonna take up $40m a year in cap space. We’d still be a terrible team. I’d rather draft Fields on a rookie contract (who could be just as good btw as Watson) and keep all my draft picks and cap space.

Fields+draft picks+cap space > Deshawn Watson

You have a valid point, but this potential trade could very well be to block our nemesis New England or Miami from attaining him. You and I both know if Houston is taking trade offers for Watson both our division rivals will be in the mix as well. 

• Upvote 2

No no no.....Watson is so spectacularly overrated by people here it’s insane....dude won what?....4 games?...with a way more talented roster than we have....and will eventually want about 40M a year

Trust in Joe Douglas, use the draft capital wisely and build a TEAM....add talent everywhere and above all, find a coach who can build a staff and culture that doesn’t need to panic by throwing everything away on whim

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No.  Not next year's first.  No way.

Watson comes in with a $40M/year contract.

Justin Fields comes in with a rookie contract.  Yes, Watson is a known commodity and top-5 QB and Fields is completely unknown, but there is a cost to that contract that offsets a lot of that.  Two firsts and Sam is more than enough for me.  Honestly, HOU, with no picks in rounds 1 or 2 this year and cap issues, would probably leap at that offer. 

HOWEVER...

Watson carries a $50M dead cap hit if they trade him this year.  $35M after June 1 (which doesn't help since that's after the draft).  They would literally not be able to field a team.  So unless the cap is MUCH higher than projected, I don't think it's possible for them to trade him this year.

A little less than that. The Texans paid his signing bonus.

They'd absorb only a mild additional hit for him , but it all would hit this year then they're clear of it. That's what happens in a tear-down year before a rebuild. Plus they get to start extra high pick players in that tear-down season. Dumping Watt's contract would soften that blow. He's not worth a $17.5MM salary this year, let alone to a team dumping its probowl QB for a prospect. 

Regardless, the way Watson's contract is structured - they didn't double & triple-down on him to further lower an immediate cap hit with salary-to-bonus conversions - they wouldn't be in deep cap hell if he's traded. I think you're looking at the cap hit if he's cut not if he's traded. He got a $27MM signing bonus in Sept, and 1/5 ($5.4MM) of that came off in 2020. Their dead cap hit should be $21.6MM -- significant, but $5.4MM of that is hitting 2021 whether he's kept or traded & it's also a $5-6MM net change from his current cap number. They'd also get more for him this year than next year because - in addition to the season he's coming off - the immediate cap charge for him in 2021 isn't sky high for another team, and a lot of teams have less spending $ due to the expected lower cap ceiling for the year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, redlichtie said:

No no no.....Watson is so spectacularly overrated by people here it’s insane....dude won what?....4 games?...with a way more talented roster than we have, what makes anyone think he can squeeze out a 5 win season when we’ll have no great draft capital to build a roster to support him?....and will eventually want about 40M a year

Trust in Joe Douglas, use the draft capital wisely and build a TEAM....add talent everywhere and above all, find a coach who can build a staff and culture that doesn’t need to panic by throwing everything away on whim

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You trust your instincts if you feel there is a qb in the draft that would help the Jets. Watson is a win now qb, and the Jets are not a win now team. And would be less so with the draft assets they would need to secure him.

Hes only 25, win now or win a year from now, I think you automatically listen to that offer

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

If we can get him for one of Seattle’s picks and Sam and like a 2nd or 3rd I’d consider it. But I’m not giving up a ton of picks. Especially not pick 2 

Agree if you can get him and keep the #2 you do it all day long. 

At #2 you either draft Sewell or the top WR in the class. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If JD is willing to include the #2 pick in any offer scenario for Watson, he would be a Jet. Other than Jax, no other team can offer such a valuable pick.

This x a million. 

To everyone saying it'll cost multiple first round picks - we aren't living in a world where we don't know the value of the picks. We have the #2 pick in the draft - I know draft charts aren't perfect but using this one: https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=Ind

Lets compare what some other obvious candidates could offer: 

Indy: #1,2,3 this year, #1 next two years: If that happens and Indy picks at the SAME position as they are projected to this year - the total value of that package would be 2,840 points. Our #2 pick this year alone is worth 2,600. That value doesn't factor in: 

1) Future picks aren't worth as much as current picks 

2) Indy's future picks will probably be above 22

3) This year's #2 is insanely valuable. The option of Fields or Wilson if you believe all the hype about them is just worth more than previous year's number 2s. 

The other part of this is not many teams will be able to fit his contract under their cap like the Jets can, and not many teams in the top 5-6 picks can make this trade. Jax is taking TL, Miami should do it and trade Tua but seems unlikely, Atlanta can't given their cap situation, Cincy won't, Philly can't given their cap situation. 

If I'm the Texans new GM I'd rather take #2 and the Seattle first next year than try and get an extra first or two from a team like NE, Indy, Pitt, etc b/c the #2 is the only one that you'll be able to get your pick of Fields/Wilson.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Deshaun Watson is 25 years old.  He's a win now QB and a win later QB. 

You draft QB's high with the hopes you end up finding one worth paying, like Watson.  A move like this, however unlikely, would be a shortcut to a young franchise QB.  

JD gutted this roster with the expectations that the assets from that gutting would fill multiple positions. To spend much of it on one piece, and then have to go cheap elsewhere just does not feel like a JD thing. I may be wrong.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

JD gutted this roster with the expectations that the assets from that gutting would fill multiple positions. To spend much of it on one piece, and then have to go cheap elsewhere just does not feel like a JD thing. I may be wrong.

Every team with a paid franchise QB has to go cheap at other positions.  Literally nothing else matters in this league until you have a franchise QB, particularly one with a lot of years ahead of him.  If this deal were somehow available to the Jets, you make it happen and don't look back.  Worry about the rest later.  Again, if Douglas is any good at his job, he'll make it work around Watson.  

Whether Douglas WOULD do it or not is kind of irrelevant to the discussion.  We really don't know what he WOULD do, since a situation like this has never presented itself in the modern NFL.  The question is SHOULD he do it?  And the answer is yes, absolutely.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every team with a paid franchise QB has to go cheap at other positions.  Literally nothing else matters in this league until you have a franchise QB, particularly one with a lot of years ahead of him.  If this deal were somehow available to the Jets, you make it happen and don't look back.  Worry about the rest later.  Again, if Douglas is any good at his job, he'll make it work around Watson.  

Whether Douglas WOULD do it or not is kind of irrelevant to the discussion.  We really don't know what he WOULD do, since a situation like this has never presented itself in the modern NFL.  The question is SHOULD he do it?  And the answer is yes, absolutely.  

Don't get your hopes up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Don't get your hopes up. 

I already said earlier this is extremely unlikely to ever happen.  That's not what the thread is about.  The thread is about "if this could magically happen, what do you give up"?  I'd give up three 1st round picks in a heartbeat. 

Some people in the thread are saying they wouldn't even give up # 2, and that's pretty much insane.  At # 2 we're hoping to find the next Watson.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I already said earlier this is extremely unlikely to ever happen.  That's not what the thread is about.  The thread is about "if this could magically happen, what do you give up"?  I'd give up three 1st round picks in a heartbeat. 

Some people in the thread are saying they wouldn't even give up # 2, and that's pretty much insane.

If it were only #2 overall, I would have to consider it. But he is not coming for that.

There will not be shortcuts. JD has shown he is not a shortcut guy. Maybe he surprises me. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A little less than that. The Texans paid his signing bonus.

They'd absorb only a mild additional hit for him , but it all would hit this year then they're clear of it. That's what happens in a tear-down year before a rebuild. Plus they get to start extra high pick players in that tear-down season. Dumping Watt's contract would soften that blow. He's not worth a $17.5MM salary this year, let alone to a team dumping its probowl QB for a prospect. 

Regardless, the way Watson's contract is structured - they didn't double & triple-down on him to further lower an immediate cap hit with salary-to-bonus conversions - they wouldn't be in deep cap hell if he's traded. I think you're looking at the cap hit if he's cut not if he's traded. He got a $27MM signing bonus in Sept, and 1/5 ($5.4MM) of that came off in 2020. Their dead cap hit should be $21.6MM -- significant, but $5.4MM of that is hitting 2021 whether he's kept or traded & it's also a $5-6MM net change from his current cap number. They'd also get more for him this year than next year because - in addition to the season he's coming off - the immediate cap charge for him in 2021 isn't sky high for another team, and a lot of teams have less spending $ due to the expected lower cap ceiling for the year. 

Damn, you're right!

I forgot to select 'trade' on overthecap.

So that puts him in the realm of 'tradeable'.

I still wouldn't give up 3 1sts for him.  Not sure I'd even give up two.  I think I might rather roll the dice with Fields and everything else we can bring in with our picks and cap over the next two seasons.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why? That leaves us with Deshaun Watson and still have our #1 next year. You still got the rest of your picks to build with. 

Either way, this is Madden scenarios, nothing like that is happening. But fun to play out.

Watson is ready to win now. This team is realistically not going to be able to do that for a year or two if we’re lucky... I don’t see the value in trading for Watson now, instead of letting someone like fields mature along with the roster

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Watson is ready to win now. This team is realistically not going to be able to do that for a year or two if we’re lucky... I don’t see the value in trading for Watson now, instead of letting someone like fields mature along with the roster

Watson is 25.  Plenty of winning years ahead of him.  We're not talking about trading for Matthew Stafford.

In addition, if rumors are to be believed, Douglas isn't exactly enamored by Fields.  The Jets are about as likely to trade out of 2 as they are to take Fields at the moment.  Which is unfortunate but must be considered as a factor.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A big part of the reason we have such a terrible roster is because we have no QB.  

Add Watson and suddenly everything about the roster would look better.  The OL would magically be "fixed".  The Jets would appear to have high-end or at least average weapons.  The coaching would look great.  Watson was great this season without Hopkins, after all.

Meanwhile, there would still be quite a lot of picks and cap dollars left over to build.  If Douglas is any good at his job, he'd be able to make it work surrounding Watson.

This kind of deal would be a no brainer for the Jets.  You do it in a heartbeat.

I don’t think so. Just another chapter of the Jets trying to ride the coattails of another team’s fruits. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If we can get him for one of Seattle’s picks and Sam and like a 2nd or 3rd I’d consider it. But I’m not giving up a ton of picks. Especially not pick 2 

I would give up this years and next years Seattle picks and keep #2 and draft Sewell. 

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don’t think so. Just another chapter of the Jets trying to ride the coattails of another team’s fruits. 

Nothing like this has ever happened in NFL history, other than perhaps the Drew Brees trade.  There is no precedent to this, especially not for the Jets. We'd be adding a young, talented franchise QB.  Something the franchise hasn't had since Joe Namath.  I'd gladly ride those coattails and take advantage of Houston's many mistakes if the opportunity presented itself.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Watson is 25.  Plenty of winning years ahead of him.  We're not talking about trading for Matthew Stafford.

I just don’t see it that way. We don’t have a roster to win now. Sure it could happen. But I wouldnt trade on that. He’ll be 27 by the time we catch up. Not to mention he mentally might fold coming to this fcking mess. He would tell his agent and the Texans - no way am I going to the Jets. They’re a mess. 

why? Fields is about the same caliber QB. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing like this has ever happened in NFL history, other than perhaps the Drew Brees trade.  There is no precedent to this, especially not for the Jets. We'd be adding a young, talented franchise QB.  Something the franchise hasn't had since Joe Namath.  I'd gladly ride those coattails and take advantage of Houston's many mistakes if the opportunity presented itself.

Jay Cutler off the top of my head. It happens. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I just don’t see it that way. We don’t have a roster to win now. Sure it could happen. But I wouldnt trade on that. He’ll be 27 by the time we catch up. Not to mention he mentally might fold coming to this fcking mess. He would tell his agent and the Texans - no way am I going to the Jets. They’re a mess. 

why? Fields is about the same caliber QB. 

Oh wow, 27!!  That's ancient in QB years!  So you're saying he'd only have about a 6-8 year window to win a title?  That sucks. 

Obviously Watson would probably block any trade, but that's not what we're debating.  We're talking about what the Jets should offer, not what's best for Watson.

And why is Douglas not enamored by Fields at the moment?  Ask @Mogglez, I guess?  Lots of rumors/stories floating about suggesting Douglas wants to trade out of 2.  You don't do that if you love Fields.  But maybe its all just smoke, who knows.