What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

No.  Not next year's first.  No way.

Watson comes in with a $40M/year contract.

Justin Fields comes in with a rookie contract.  Yes, Watson is a known commodity and top-5 QB and Fields is completely unknown, but there is a cost to that contract that offsets a lot of that.  Two firsts and Sam is more than enough for me.  Honestly, HOU, with no picks in rounds 1 or 2 this year and cap issues, would probably leap at that offer. 

HOWEVER...

Watson carries a $50M dead cap hit if they trade him this year.  $35M after June 1 (which doesn't help since that's after the draft).  They would literally not be able to field a team.  So unless the cap is MUCH higher than projected, I don't think it's possible for them to trade him this year.

PFT says this:

Take a look at the contract. Trading him would result in a cap charge of $21.6 million. The Herschel-sized haul of draft picks that a Deshaun Watson trade would generate would more than justify it.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow, 27!!  That's ancient in QB years!  So you're saying he'd only have about a 6-8 year window to win a title?  That sucks. 

Obviously Watson would probably block any trade, but that's not what we're debating.  We're talking about what the Jets should offer, not what's best for Watson.

And why is Douglas not enamored by Fields at the moment?  Ask @Mogglez, I guess?  Lots of rumors/stories floating about suggesting Douglas wants to trade out of 2.  You don't do that if you love Fields.  But maybe its all just smoke, who knows.

You may not agree with it but there’s logic in my argument. But even moving past that, I am tired of having to put our jersey on some other player. After 25/30 years It’s left me feeling  feeling completely uninvested in our own players

i don’t want Watson.

I don’t want Prescott

I don’t want Thomas,

Or Evans, Jones, or any other big shot motherfcker from another team. 

I want them to be OUR guys. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh please. Don’t be that guy. When Cutler got traded it was huge fcking deal. Please don’t pretend like it wasn’t. 

Big deal?  Sure.  Did Cutler put up anything close to the kind of production we've seen out of Watson so far in his career?  Not even close.

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I just don’t see it that way. We don’t have a roster to win now. Sure it could happen. But I wouldnt trade on that. He’ll be 27 by the time we catch up. Not to mention he mentally might fold coming to this fcking mess. He would tell his agent and the Texans - no way am I going to the Jets. They’re a mess. 

why? Fields is about the same caliber QB. 

Fields is not the same caliber QB..Fields is a prospect. He has a much higher chance of busting than becoming a 3x Pro Bowler and leading the league in passing yards. 

One of the best players in the league, and one of the best human beings in the league.

In a vacuum, I'd easily give Darnold, our #2 and both of the Jamal Adams picks.

However, in the real world, I can't give all of that for a $40m/year contract to a guy who wants to win. This roster is even worse than the texans, and if we give away our prime draft capital, we're not going to get better. If there is an out in 2023 as reported, there's no guarantee he'll stick around through the rebuild. 

edit to add: Also, we're in position to take Justin Fields for 4 years on a rookie salary without having to give up any draft capital. Yes, obviously Watson > Fields right now given that he's proven it in the NFL, but given the full picture, I'm staying put.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Big deal?  Sure.  Did Cutler put up anything close to the kind of production we've seen out of Watson so far in his career?  Not even close.

Stop. I made my point and it was valid one. Cutler in DEN was not the slouch you're currently staring in your memory bank. He was dropping bombs before McDaniels ran him out in lieu Tebow. It was a big deal and Watson getting traded isn't unheard of. It's just really rare and for good reason. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You may not agree with it but there’s logic in my argument. But even moving past that, I am tired of having to put our jersey on some other player. After 25/30 years It’s left me feeling  feeling completely uninvested in our own players

i don’t want Watson.

I don’t want Prescott  

I don’t want Thomas, Evans, Jones, or any other big shot motherfcker from another team. 

I want them to OUR guys. 

We all want that. We'd love to groom a championship QB. That's why it hurts so much how bad Sam has turned out, we all thought this was IT.

BUT sometimes there's other ways around it. I think the Saints fans are okay about not being the ones who drafted Drew Brees. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetFreak89 said:

Fields is not the same caliber QB..Fields is a prospect. He has a much higher chance of busting than becoming a 3x Pro Bowler and leading the league in passing yards. 

caliber is exactly what he is. I didn't say the same player. 

4 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We all want that. We'd love to groom a championship QB. That's why it hurts so much how bad Sam has turned out, we all thought this was IT.

BUT sometimes there's other ways around it. I think the Saints fans are okay about not being the ones who drafted Drew Brees. 

Brees was a FA. 

I'm a draft guy. You're never gonna convince me to take the shortcut. Trevor Lawrence got his ass handed to him a second time in as many years in the playoffs. Fields looked as good as you could ask for in that game - and has a chance to double down on that vs 'Bama. 

If he can put on similar film in the Natty there 0% chance i'll ever be talked into trading for Watson over drafting Fields.

• Upvote 2

Brees was a FA. 

I'm a draft guy. You're never gonna convince me to take the shortcut. Trevor Lawrence got his ass handed to him a second time in as many years in the playoffs. Fields looked as good as you could ask for in that game - and has a chance to double down on that vs 'Bama. 

If he can put on similar film in the Natty there 0% chance i'll ever be talked into trading for Watson over drafting Fields.

It is BECAUSE you're a draft guy that you should be at least willing to entertain this.  You know as well as anyone how hard it is to project QB's compared to other positions.  Only about 12 guys on the planet can play the position at an elite level at a given time. If you're able to obtain one of those 12 you pay any price to get him.  Especially one that is 25 years old.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is BECAUSE you're a draft guy that you should be at least willing to entertain this.  You know as well as anyone how hard it is to project QB's compared to other positions.  Only about 12 guys on the planet can play the position at an elite level at a given time. If you're able to obtain one of those 12 you pay any price to get him.  Especially one that is 25 years old.

My response was to basically giving away both our 1sts and next years.  No fcking way. End of story. kick rocks would be my answer on the phone  

if they wanted to take SEA’s pick this year and next...., I would have a talk with my people about how this reshapes our roster.. “pitch me the off-season and draft with Watson and no SEA picks..” and if it made sense, I would 

I’m not giving HOU the 2nd pick. I’d sooner bend over for a 20 man gangbang  

• Haha 1

Just now, Paradis said:

My response was to basically giving away both our 1sts and next years.  No fcking way. End of story. kick rocks would be my answer on the phone  

if they wanted to take SEA’s pick this year and next...., I would have a talk with my people about how this reshapes our roster.. “pitch me the off-season and draft with Watson and no SEA picks..” and would if it made sense, I would 

I’m not giving HOU the 2nd pick. I’m sooner bend over for a 20 man gangbang  

We got two of those 1sts for Jamal Adams.  This is the way to correct the Macc error retroactively.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We got two of those 1sts for Jamal Adams.  This is the way to correct the Macc error retroactively.  

If HOU wants to take SEA’s picks for Watson? That’s a conversation I would have.

no way they get #2. Nope. Forget it. With Watson, I could trade back to whoever wants Fields, and basically recoup what we lost on the Watson trade and still take Smith/Pitts. 

they don’t get #2

• Upvote 3

If HOU wants to take SEA’s picks for Watson? That’s a conversation I would have.

no way they get #2. Nope. Forget it. With Watson, I could trade back to whoever wants Fields, and basically recoup what we lost on the Watson trade and still take Smith/Pitts. 

they don’t get #2

Fair enough.  At least you're not one of these fools going full Michael Corleone with Senator Geary.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Watson has an out in his contract after 2023. So unless the Jets show amazing aptitude in building a team and a staff, you risk having him for 3 years. Somewhat of a gamble.

Can always work a trade with condition of agreeing to extension w/Watson.

1 hour ago, QB1 said:

I'd give #2 and Darnold, and take some other terrible contract off their books. 

You guys suggesting we give our entire draft + next years picks are nuts.

The texans won 4 games WITH watson this year. 

You need to factor in how cap ****ed the texans are. 

What a lazy argument. "He only won 4 games!" This is what Watson did with arguably the best WR in the NFL being sold at Bill O'Brien's garage sale.

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

So many people here predicted/hoped Watson would be "exposed" without the all-world Hopkins to throw to. Do you know how his numbers related to all his previous years with Hopkins? Better in every category. That's what true FQBs do: you take away one weapon, they spread it around. FQBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around. Texans also have a subpar OL (rank #23) and a terrible run game. But Darnold might still be a good player. lol.

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

No no no.....Watson is so spectacularly overrated by people here it’s insane....dude won what?....4 games?...with a way more talented roster than we have....and will eventually want about 40M a year

Trust in Joe Douglas, use the draft capital wisely and build a TEAM....add talent everywhere and above all, find a coach who can build a staff and culture that doesn’t need to panic by throwing everything away on whim

See above.

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And to the "Watson is overrated" crew, I'd love to finally have a QB here that people call overrated.  Much better than the "he's trash, but maybe he won't be forever" QB's we've had here for 2 decades.

No Hopkins, yet on the season Watson had a 33/7 TD:INT ratio, completed over 70 % of his throws for 8.9 YPA (tops in the league) and had a 112.4 QB Rating.

Overrated.  lmao.

Jets fans worry more about paying players than Ebeneezer Scrooge about how many lumps of coal are used to heat the office. Let's get some dudes worth overpaying for a change. You don't get a ring for most salary cap rollover.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  At least you're not one of these fools going full Michael Corleone with Senator Geary.

I can probably over time and a couple scotches be talked into giving up next year‘s first as well. Ours that is. The ability to trade out of #2 and regain that draft capital and take some playmakers is just too much for this draft loser

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can always work a trade with condition of agreeing to extension w/Watson.

What a lazy argument. "He only won 4 games!" This is what Watson did with arguably the best WR in the NFL being sold at Bill O'Brien's garage sale.

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

So many people here prediction Watson would be "exposed" without the all-world Hopkins to throw to. Do you know how his numbers related to all his previous years with Hopkins? Better in every category. That's what true FQBs do: you take away one weapon, they spread it around. FQBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around. Texans also have a subpar OL (rank #23) and a terrible run game. But Darnold might still be a good player. lol.

See above.

Jets fans worry more about paying players than Ebeneezer Scrooge about how many lumps of coal are used to heat the office. Let's get some dudes worth overpaying for a change. You don't get a ring for most salary cap rollover.

Not sure what you are talking about. If the Jets give away all of their draft capital to acquire Watson they will be in the same position as the Texans. This team is more than a QB away. No one is denying that Watson is an elite QB. 

• Upvote 1

If Houston trades Watson that fanbase will go apoplectic. Look at their starters before Watson:

2002 David Carr (16) [1]
2003 David Carr (11) / Tony Banks (3) / Dave Ragone (2) [2]
2004 David Carr (16) [3]
2005 David Carr (16) [4]
2006 David Carr (16) [5]
2007 Matt Schaub (11) / Sage Rosenfels (5) [6]
2008 Matt Schaub (11) / Sage Rosenfels (5) [7]
2009 Matt Schaub (16) [8]
2010 Matt Schaub (16) [9]
2011 Matt Schaub (10) / Matt Leinart (1) / T. J. Yates (5) [10]
2012 Matt Schaub (16) [11]
2013 Matt Schaub (8) / Case Keenum (8) [12]
2014 Ryan Fitzpatrick (12) / Ryan Mallett (2) / Case Keenum (2) [13]
2015 Brian Hoyer (9) / Ryan Mallett (4) / T. J. Yates (2) / Brandon Weeden (1) [14]
2016 Brock Osweiler (14) / Tom Savage (2) [15]
2017 Tom Savage (7) / Deshaun Watson (6) / T. J. Yates (3)
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Not sure what you are talking about. If the Jets give away all of their draft capital to acquire Watson they will be in the same position as the Texans. This team is more than a QB away. No one is denying that Watson is an elite QB. 

Ok, that makes comments like this "The texans won 4 games WITH watson this year" and your continued belief in Sam Darnold a little easier to swallow.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Ok, that makes comments like this "The texans won 4 games WITH watson this year" and your continued belief in Sam Darnold a little easier to swallow.

You seem to be creating arguments in your mind that don't exist. I offered up the 2nd overall pick, Darnold, and the willingness to take on another bad contact for Watson. My point being that it is not worth destroying our ability to rebuild the team to acquire one player, and used the fact that the Texans only won 4 games as evidence of that- One great QB does not a team make.  I've also been pounding the table for Fields harder than anyone here... The fact that I also believe Darnolds career can possibly be salvaged is irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You seem to be creating arguments in your mind that don't exist. I offered up the 2nd overall pick, Darnold, and the willingness to take on another bad contact for Watson. My point being that it is not worth destroying our ability to rebuild the team to acquire one player, and used the fact that the Texans only won 4 games as evidence of that- One great QB does not a team make.  I've also been pounding the table for Fields harder than anyone here... The fact that I also believe Darnolds career can possibly be salvaged is irrelevant. 

Not giving up nearly enough but Nico sounds reasonable. Did the Earth's magnetic field switch overnight?