What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

Fun to think about, but not happening. We should have taken him in 2017.  Hindsight tells us the correct pick would have been Mahomes, but Watson was the no-brainer pick for us headed into that draft and I really wanted it to happen, and yes, I'm still bitter. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Fun to think about, but not happening. We should have take him in 2017.  Hindsight tells us the correct pick would have been Mahomes, but Watons was no-brainer pick for us headed into that draft and I really wanted it to happen, and yes, I'm still bitter. 

The consequences of "BAP." Macc drafted gutless in round 1 and like a drunken monkey in rounds 2-7.

2 minutes ago, Boynton Beach Jets said:

I agree, we have so many holes to fill.  The Texans are so far over the cap that they will remove Watson and his contract for far less then these deals poster are offering.  I might offer Seahawks 1st and a late round pick. We might be better off drafting a QB with our 1st round pick and have him on rookie deal for 5 years.

The Dolphins are a team that could use Watson.  Some really good pieces, an established head coach, and a QB away from being a contender.

But the Jets?  We're years away from needing an expensive quarterback.  It's why, even though it would disappoint me greatly, I could see us hanging on to Darnold who is in no position to ask for a max deal.  And it was the same argument for keeping Gase.  Just too many holes to fill.  If we're going 4-12 next year it doesn't really matter who the HC and QB are.  Would have been better to give them another year than commit to the wrong people prematurely.  

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Would that qualify as a big trade for JD? 

I have brought up trading with Dallas for Prescott. I would chuck that in favor of Watson.... but not for 3 #1 picks.

Funny how I was lambasted for suggesting Prescott.... yet folks would trade 3 first round picks for Watson. Dallas would probably only require our #2 and a day 2 pick due to their cap space.... which also is a problem for the Texans.

Dak & Watson are of similar age IIRC.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A big part of the reason we have such a terrible roster is because we have no QB.  

Add Watson and suddenly everything about the roster would look better.  The OL would magically be "fixed".  The Jets would appear to have high-end or at least average weapons.  The coaching would look great.  Watson was great this season without Hopkins, after all.

Meanwhile, there would still be quite a lot of picks and cap dollars left over to build.  If Douglas is any good at his job, he'd be able to make it work surrounding Watson.

This kind of deal would be a no brainer for the Jets.  You do it in a heartbeat.

can't believe i am going to say this but.....

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-Totally-Redeem-Yourself-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif.b5f0f212e00712163eaf5866efee4198.gif

Can't believe I am thinking the same thing too... We still have money to get a WR and Guard or Corner. I do believe JD could use the 65 - 6th round picks we have to fill in the talent. lol seriously  though. 

Im in - Do it JD.

too bad Mac didn't draft Mahomes at 6 like I wanted, Watson was my second choice for that pick so its only fitting and "JETSY" that we could potentially get Watson for more draft capital and $$$$$ but whatever kid can play. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

can't believe i am going to say this but.....

Just-When-I-Think-You-Couldnt-Possibly-Be-Any-Dumber-You-Go-and-Do-Something-Like-This..-and-Totally-Redeem-Yourself-In-Dumb-and-Dumber.gif.b5f0f212e00712163eaf5866efee4198.gif

Can't believe I am thinking the same thing too... We still have money to get a WR and Guard or Corner. I do believe JD could use the 65 - 6th round picks we have to fill in the talent. lol seriously  though. 

Im in - Do it JD.

too bad Mac didn't draft Mahomes at 6 like I wanted, Watson was my second choice for that pick so its only fitting and "JETSY" that we could potentially get Watson for more draft capital and $$$$$ but whatever kid can play. 

Yup but with Bill O'Brien gone, unlikely Texans will be making any more moronic personnel moves in the near future.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Dolphins are a team that could use Watson.  Some really good pieces, an established head coach, and a QB away from being a contender.

But the Jets?  We're years away from needing an expensive quarterback.  It's why, even though it would disappoint me greatly, I could see us hanging on to Darnold who is in no position to ask for a max deal.  And it was the same argument for keeping Gase.  Just too many holes to fill.  If we're going 4-12 next year it doesn't really matter who the HC and QB are.  Would have been better to give them another year than commit to the wrong people prematurely.  

SAR I

if we go 4-12 next year joe best not be the gm after it-he took a team that won 7 games ripped it of all talent and it became a 2 win team

he has lots of money and lots of picks-4 wins year two would be a disgrace 

year two parcells had us in the AFC championship and he took over a one win team

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Remember when we could have just drafted him instead of the safety and the Haute Take Boiz lectured us for years on why not doing so was such an awesome idea.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Loading up on safeties was going to be the new trend. We were being ahead of the curve.

And lectured is the precise word to describe this lesson we needed to learn.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Agreed, there are so many ways to go.  We could stay with Sam but might be better off drafting a young QB so we can have a redo on rookie clock.  We don't know when we will be in position to draft one.

I just hope the Patriots don't get Watson.

• Upvote 1

Could the Jets trade for Deshaun Watson instead of drafting a QB?

A report surfaced saying Watson has 'quietly' discussed a trade request with teammates

1/07/2021 12:00pm

Deshaun Watson

Troy Taormina/USA TODAY

Entering the 2021 offseason, no one knows what the Jets’ plan will be at quarterback before the new season begins. GM Joe Douglas was non-committal when asked about Sam Darnold’s future, and the head coach that the team will eventually hire will have a say in that as well. 

The Jets own the No. 2 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, which is the main reason behind this debate. Stick with Darnold? Or draft a new top QB and start fresh? 

What if those aren’t the only two options, though?

According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, “rumors already are circulating” that Texans QB Deshaun Watson could ask for a trade depending on what happens with Houston’s next coaching hire. The Texans have made it known that Watson’s input will be valued, but at the end of the day, he doesn’t make the call. It’s also worth noting that Eric Bieniemy, the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator who is one of the top candidates in the field right now, was not requested for an interview with the Texans. They’re the only team that hasn’t. 

So Florio is saying that “multiple different people” are hearing Watson has quietly discussed a potential trade request with teammates. Whether or not it’s a ploy to ensure he is heard during this search or not, the Texans just haven’t been good despite Watson balling out each week. He led the NFL in regular season passing yards (4,823) with 33 touchdown and seven interceptions, yet the Texans went 4-12. 

Houston made a coaching change mid-season as well as J.J. Watt publicly apologizing for wasting another year of Watson’s career. Yes, the Texans went 11-5 and 10-6 in the previous two seasons, but they couldn’t get anywhere in the playoffs. Then, the turmoil, which also included trading DeAndre Hopkins before the season began, ensued in 2020. 

If the trade request comes a reality, Douglas should be on the phone with the Texans to see just what it would cost. First things first, a first-round pick certainly will be in the trade package. In fact, the demand should be multiple. Watson is a 25-year-old stud that has proven his abilities over his first four seasons. 

The Jets have that draft capital: two first-round picks in 2021 and 2022 thanks to the Jamal Adams trade with the Seattle Seahawks. 

New York also has the cap room to handle Watson’s contract extension he signed with Houston, though it isn’t as lucrative as you might think. He’s only a $15.94 million cap hit next season before the big bucks at $40.4 million and $42.4 million come in 2022 and 2023. He’ll still be 26 and 27 at that time. 

While this is all speculative, it’s an option that the Jets can’t overlook because Watson is a proven commodity. 

They already had options to ponder at quarterback heading into the offseason, but if Watson hits the market, it just adds another highly intriguing one to the list.

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Loading up on safeties was going to be the new trend. We were being ahead of the curve.

And lectured is the precise word to describe this lesson we needed to learn.

Bowles was on a mission to Make Safeties Great Again as a former safety himself. Sold Macc on the idea that his defensive scheme needed that. The worst part of it though is that there were 2 all pro safety FAs available that off season. Neither was acceptable to the Jets for almost comical reasons:

1. Eric Reid -- (trigger warning: conspiracy theory) not palatable because a certain Presidential candidate had taken a strong stance against the whole kneeling thing and Woody was angling for an administration position.

2. Honey Badger -- knocked up Todd Bowles' daughter. No way milquetoast Todd could handle that smirking weasel in the locker room with that kind of leverage over his head.

So instead, we pass on two future all pro QBs and do the safety double tap and roll over a mountain of salary cap, as usual. Only this team.

EDIT: I actually looked back and it wasn't Honey Badger. He was only released by AZ before the 2018 draft, not 2017 when Adams was drafted. The other guy I might've been thinking of in addition to Reid is Jairus Byrd. There may even have been a third pro bowl S available at the time.

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

if we go 4-12 next year joe best not be the gm after it-he took a team that won 7 games ripped it of all talent and it became a 2 win team

That's the fear.  Hey, if he hits the draft just perfectly and gets us the most dynamic new head coach out of the bunch of scrubs we've been privy to we could do better.  But the roster was dismantled to the ground and there isn't much to build on.

If you saw any Joe Douglas video this week (the WFAN Boomer interview is a good one to watch) Douglas looks frightened, he looks anything but the guy who was just anointed the Football Man of Florham Park.  He's no Alpha. 

Scary times.  Didn't need to be this way.  They had a plan.  They should have stuck to it.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That's the fear.  Hey, if he hits the draft just perfectly and gets us the most dynamic new head coach out of the bunch of scrubs we've been privy to we could do better.  But the roster was dismantled to the ground and there isn't much to build on.

If you saw any Joe Douglas video this week (the WFAN Boomer interview is a good one to watch) Douglas looks frightened, he looks anything but the guy who was just anointed the Football Man of Florham Park.  He's no Alpha. 

Scary times.  Didn't need to be this way.  They had a plan.  They should have stuck to it.

SAR I

9B9E7236-282D-4BD8-838E-2B8B791BFC18.gif

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

"Don't bother taking the first step because the journey is too long."

And you accuse others of having a "SOJF loser mentality." lol

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bowles was on a mission to Make Safeties Great Again as a former safety himself. Sold Macc on the idea that his defensive scheme needed that. The worst part of it though is that there were 2 all pro safety FAs available that off season. Neither was acceptable to the Jets for almost comical reasons:

1. Eric Reid -- (trigger warning: conspiracy theory) not palatable because a certain Presidential candidate had taken a strong stance against the whole kneeling thing and Woody was angling for an administration position.

2. Honey Badger -- knocked up Todd Bowles' daughter. No way milquetoast Todd could handle that smirking weasel in the locker room with that kind of leverage over his head.

So instead, we pass on two future all pro QBs and do the safety double tap and roll over a mountain of salary cap, as usual. Only this team.

Meh I don't know about that. Maybe in round 2 with Maye, but in round 1 imo Maccagnan saw a player available at his slot that he perceived to have unexpectedly slipped 3-4 slots (like anyone else was taking a safety 2nd or 3rd overall). He was all about the sure thing picks (or those he envisioned as sure things) because highly drafting a bust is the only thing that gets a scout fired, not drafting a non-bust who isn't as good as the guy you could've had. That may be true, but also no guts no glory. And he's had no glory. And never will (though spending a fortune of Woody's money is probably enough glory for him).

Here's the thing we'll never know about that pick: no matter how many Jets fans believe it, there's really no guarantee Adams would've even been taken anywhere in the top 10 if we didn't bite at 6. Hooker was safety prospect 1B that year and also a supposed lock to go within 2-3 slots of our pick (in either direction), yet when it came time for teams to spend their high picks he dropped all the way to 15. Because he's a ****ing safety. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh I don't know about that. Maybe in round 2 with Maye, but in round 1 imo Maccagnan saw a player available at his slot that he perceived to have unexpectedly slipped 3-4 slots (like anyone else was taking a safety 2nd or 3rd overall). He was all about the sure thing picks (or those he envisioned as sure things) because highly drafting a bust is the only thing that gets a scout fired, not drafting a non-bust who isn't as good as the guy you could've had. That may be true, but also no guts no glory. And he's had no glory. And never will (though spending a fortune of Woody's money is probably enough glory for him).

Here's the thing we'll never know about that pick: no matter how many Jets fans believe it, there's really no guarantee Adams would've even been taken anywhere in the top 10 if we didn't bite at 6. Hooker was safety prospect 1B that year and also a supposed lock to go within 2-3 slots of our pick (in either direction), yet when it came time for teams to spend their high picks he dropped all the way to 15. Because he's a ****ing safety. 

Yup. Even Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu (two of the best safeties to ever play the game) went #24 and #16 in the first round, respectively. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah it's probably Occam's Razor type solution where Macc did what he always did -- followed BAP in the first round come Hell or high water.

Just absolutely derelict to take Adams at 6 when you have a huge hole at QB and two great prospects sitting there and not taking either of them and filling the S hole with a FA option.

I actually looked back and it wasn't Honey Badger. He was only released by AZ before the 2018 draft, not 2017 when Adams was drafted. The other guy I might've been thinking of in addition to Reid is Jairus Byrd. There may even have been a third pro bowl S available at the time.

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The #2 pick is wild valuable. If this was a real thing, we have the ammo to go get him

We do, but the result would be he'd get killed here.  Would have 0 draft capital to put help around him.   He's in Texas, on a bad team.  Even with him they won 4 games.  Wouldn't be much different here.

Jets have some nice draft picks, and cap room.  Lets go get one of the rookies, build a team around him, and pray that Douglas is good at his job.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

What would I trade for a proven, high level QB on the right side of 30? Both our 1s this year plus a 2 next year. Houston still says no, btw.

Yep and if you did get him, you extend him immediately on a 10 year deal and you front-load a huge signing bonus as much as possible into 2021 when we have tons of cap. Take as much pain as possible up front. Then his per year after would be very reasonable.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Yup. Even Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu (two of the best safeties to ever play the game) went #24 and #16 in the first round, respectively. 

Fitzpatrick went #11, but wasn't he also projected as a guy who could play corner in a pinch (and play it well)? Makes a difference. 

As good as Deshaun is, I think the asking price would be too crippling to really be worth it. If we weren't in position to pick a QB high and didn't have so many roster holes, then maybe, but we had our shot at Watson. I think it's time to move on from that dream.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Except Watson is only 25 y.o. and a QB's life expectancy is a heckuva lot longer than a CB.

Sure, but life expectancy isn't the worry. Is he a guy who's ego can take more money up front and then not complain about the going rate later when his cap number is smaller than others? Also, known as the revis issue since we tried that with him... If he can it's a good move over time.

6 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sure, but life expectancy isn't the worry. Is he a guy who's ego can take more money up front and then not complain about the going rate later when his cap number is smaller than others? Also, known as the revis issue since we tried that with him... If he can it's a good move over time.

Any pro bowl+ QB is getting a massive deal with a ton of money upfront. All of them. We are in unique position to take a lot of it against 2021 rather than pro rate it evenly over the years of the deal. Makes no difference to the player. He gets it all immediately.