What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

22 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Leave it to the Jets to not draft him in 2017 only to draft a safety instead who is no longer on the team. Then give away 3 second round draft picks for a QB that they are going to dump.  Then to trade three even higher draft picks for a QB they should have drafted with a $40M salary and then give him a roster worse than the one he asked to be traded from.  We are not in the position to trade away draft picks.  FA's rarely work out for us so we can't say lets just sign this guy or that guy.

Well, you can also think of it this way, we could have been the team to offer Watson the mega deal he has and see him asking to be traded from the Jets.  I mean he has Cooks and Fuller as his WR and had Hopkins before that. How do you think he would have felt about Anderson, Hogan, Barrios,  Crowder and Mims?

For Watson you give up both 1's this year a 1 next year and Darnold.  Watson is arguably the 2nd best young QB in the league.  He has incredible leadership skills and I could tolerate the Jets losing because there would be great plays all the time.  It would be fun to watch the Jets for years and if we got lucky and built a team around  him we might actually win.

The guy is incredible, fun to watch and he's driven.  He might just drag the anchor of ownership forward in spite of their incompetence. 

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Kind of enjoying all this disfunction of the Texans.

Late to the Party ... Can someone bring me up to speed ??

.... Is the only problem that the QB wants say on the coaching hire ?  If he is putting up a fight over that I am not sure he has any ground to stand on. The Owner and GM should be in control of that hire. 

2 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Sorry my friend but you are just pulling numbers out of thin air.....how exactly is QB ‘the most important position by a factor of x5’ ?....what metrics are we using to gauge this? Is there a mathematical formula here that we know NFL talent evaluators use to properly grade this?  I personally have never seen such a scale and would be interested in discovering more. Please don’t give me the ‘and 99% of fans agree’ because frankly I call nonsense on that....it’s so wrong on multiple levels it’s not worth prolonging an argument over

Look, I get the desire to upgrade at QB and have a shiny new toy that has compiled lots of impressive numbers in a few short years in the league. I would love that too, and there’s no question Watson has proven to be a quality passer, but I remain baffled at the readiness of people to blindly annoint him without a fair and proper assessment of his actual effectiveness and ability to make a difference.......the reasons why he couldn’t win more than 4 games is not something to simply be ignored, it’s  a valid question that demands greater scrutiny.. If we are giving up a whole load of high draft picks and significantly weakening our ability to improve for years to come then we need a ‘difference maker’ and there’s a strong argument to make that perhaps a QB isn’t the difference maker we’ve made it out to be. 

It’s not just a Watson thing either. There are other QB’s who’ve routinely put up all time great stats but couldn’t lift their teams above mediocre. Stafford has what? 10 x 4K seasons?...and yet he’s barely sniffed the postseason....Rivers too has been a passing machine year after year but what difference has he made?

I recognise that having a better QB than Sam would be a major upgrade, but there is a massive elephant in the room here with Watson that people seem to want to conveniently sidestep....and it is that for all his acclaimed greatness, it didn’t move the needle for a Houston Texans team that has significantly more talent than we do. For sure Houston has had some issues there too but is anyone seriously suggesting that DW didn’t have an awful lot more to work with there than he’d have in NY?

That has to be a concern and at the very least a really good place to actually start a sensible and constructive debate about how much actually having that shiny new FQB actually matters as opposed to building a roster and having a high quality coaching team in place. if this were the Rex Ryan team of 2010 then maybe you consider you are 1 player at the key position away, even then I’d be wary. Or if Watson had dragged that Texans team, off his own back, to a 10 win season ...but he didn’t, and if he had there’d be even less talk of trading him.

I suspect for many people this is a swallowing of pride issue(Perhaps not yourself, I don’t pay enough attention to know and remember absolutely every posters position on anything). For years we’ve been hearing the argument that it’s all about getting your QB and (almost) nothing else matters.....

.“You don’t draft safeties in the top 10 etc etc”.

”We should’ve drafted Watson in 2017 when I personally was banging the table for him blah blah blah

And while there’s validity in that argument and clearly the QB position is extremely important, it has gotten silly and too many people have tied themsleves to the QB is everything banner. In this thread alone people are genuinely suggesting we trade our next 3....THREE. first round picks!...and probably the Seattle picks too!!....madness....there’s no suggestion as to how we then support that QB once we no longer have any draft capital for the next 3 years because clearly DeShaun needs a lot of support..
So rather than admit that actually, maybe we were wrong and that simply securing your franchise QB(whatever that actually means) is not, in of itself;, the solution to all our problems, people are digging ever deeper into their ideological foxhole and failing to properly think this through. the reality of success in the NFL it turns out, is more complex than that, and that’ actually a good thing.

it’s for that reason  that I don’t understand the desire to give up everything to acquire DeShaun Watson and his 4K yards and 33 TD’s (although that certainly would be more fun to watch) without any guarantee that he can lift the talent around him in terms of where it really matters....in the win/loss column.

Stopped at bold. It’s called an opinion. You really have to be super specific around here. I had thought that was really obvious. Do you believe QB is the most important position? Let’s start there. Baby steps. If you don’t agree with that then we are too far apart to bother with step 2 :) 

If you do agree, I’ll read the rest of your novel lol 

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

.... Is the only problem that the QB wants say on the coaching hire ?  If he is putting up a fight over that I am not sure he has any ground to stand on. The Owner and GM should be in control of that hire. 

Watson wanted to be a part of the process of finding the next GM/HC. Not choose them or anything but just to give a player/team perspective and his thoughts. And Texans said they would do that. Then they went on to do no such thing.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Watson wanted to be a part of the process of finding the next GM/HC. Not choose them or anything but just to give a player/team perspective and his thoughts. And Texans said they would do that. Then they went on to do no such thing.

... sounds douchy .. but nothing to demand a trade over. Guy is getting paid in mega bucks.

Edited by Dunnie

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We have all the leverage and you never give that up. When a player proclaims he no longer wants to play for a team and he also happens to be a QB the only option for said team is to get a pick to replace him add the fact that they are 17 mil over the cap and it makes the deal even better.  Teams in cap hell will have a hard time making this deal without losing multiple players while we have to option to not only get Watson but top also add players to put around him. The only QB's in this draft capable of replacing or even having a chance to replace him will be selected in the first 2 picks. That's pretty much it so you tell the Texans this is the deal you can offer if they don't want it then roll the dice with the third pick and deal with that QB situation. This trade will come down to us and Miami and if it does then you can start talking both Firsts plus Darnold . I highly Doubt the Jags and Texans will make a deal simply because then the Texans would have to face the guy 2 times a year for 10 + years and that's way too much time to be dealing with egg on your face

Assuming Watson wants out, Jets wouldn’t have any leverage. It would be a good old fashion bidding war with multiple interested parties. 

22 hours ago, Paradis said:

You guys are fcked. Seriously.... 

You wanna talk about HOU's roster being a ways off?

WE HAVE THE WORST ROSTER IN THE LEAGUE.... yea lets trade all our capital for Watson. 

Hi Macc, how are you doing today?

This.

For the first time we have a real football guy leading the HC search, not some idiot owner, and we have a ton of cap and a ton draft picks and the possibility  of drafting a QB that might be the best QB in rhe draft. Let's burn all that up for 1 player and still have a crap team but with a top QB, let's kill our cap, and dump all the draft picks for one guy when you cod possibly draft another guy in this draft that might be as good. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Deshaun Watson is 25 years old.  He's a win now QB and a win later QB. 

You draft QB's high with the hopes you end up finding one worth paying, like Watson.  A move like this, however unlikely, would be a shortcut to a young franchise QB.  

The problem is, even if we are able to get Watson for only the 2nd overall pick, he would destroy our cap. 

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree if you can get him and keep the #2 you do it all day long. 

At #2 you either draft Sewell or the top WR in the class. 

Pretend you are a fan of the Texans and you just traded Watson to the Jets and you didn't  get their 2nd overall pick, instead you got the 25th which is where Seattle's pick is predicted  to be. What would you think of the Texans management. 

Here is a more interesting scenario. You are the LA Charger GM and Caserio calls you offering Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt for Justin Herbert.

Can you say no? Herbert was great as a rookie, but he has only done it for one season,  And Watson is only 3 years older. Ingram is a FA so you let him walk. In the event Bosa and Watt stay healthy, who is going to block them? And you'd give Watson the receiving Corps of his dreams. 

54 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Remember when the Texans were a better spot to land than the Jets? Lololol

I'll still take the spot that has Deshaun Watson.

If he really does demand a trade then that will no longer be the case.  But until that happens, they have a young, elite QB and we do not.

43 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Pretend you are a fan of the Texans and you just traded Watson to the Jets and you didn't  get their 2nd overall pick, instead you got the 25th which is where Seattle's pick is predicted  to be. What would you think of the Texans management. 

As a Texans fan I would already know management stinks. 

16 hours ago, redlichtie said:

lol c’mon, you seem to be conveniently forgetting that he suddenly didn’t make anything better for Houston, who actually have some talent ....they won 4 games....he’s clearly not a difference maker

Matthew Stafford 2.0 ....no thanks 

This is a terrible argument.  Their defense allowed 464 points on the season.  29 points per game.  That's insanely bad.  Meanwhile, the team won 22 games over the previous 2 seasons, including a playoff victory.  Watson absolutely lifts that sh*tty franchise up.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

He wanted input on the GM hire.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is a terrible argument.  Their defense allowed 464 points on the season.  29 points per game.  That's insanely bad.  Meanwhile, the team won 22 games over the previous 2 seasons, including a playoff victory.  Watson absolutely lifts that sh*tty franchise up.  

Best part is that some of the same people who excuse Darnold's terrible performance on his weeapoinz/coach/whatever put all of the blame for Texans going 4-12 on Watson -- who threw for 4,800 yards, with 33/7 TD/INT and led the AFC in QB rating, behind only Rodgers across the NFL -- without Nuk, with the #23 ranked OL, and with the #31 ranked run game.

image.thumb.png.6a05a47ce965108f6ed73d9fc5b780be.png

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

As a Texans fan I would already know management stinks. 

Ok, but you wouldn't  be outraged? I mean if we hire EB as our HC, I woukd just chalk it up to another stupid decision  made by this franchise. Maybe he would be good but there is a lot of risk there, so I woukd react as you are saying but to trade a top 5 QB and not get the most valuable draft asset that team has....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Here is a more interesting scenario. You are the LA Charger GM and Caserio calls you offering Deshaun Watson and JJ Watt for Justin Herbert.

Can you say no? Herbert was great as a rookie, but he has only done it for one season,  And Watson is only 3 years older. Ingram is a FA so you let him walk. In the event Bosa and Watt stay healthy, who is going to block them? And you'd give Watson the receiving Corps of his dreams. 

No. I think people really underestimate how valuable having your QB playing on a high level still on his rookie contract is. Chargers can fill in a lot of spots around Herbert while he still makes peanuts.

This is why it's imperative the Jets get rid of Darnold. He stinks and is about to get expensive.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Texans rumored to be interested in Josh McDaniles with the suggestion he'll bring Gase on board to run the offense.

Darnold would off himself.

Of course McDaniles has been rumored to go to Houston, but discredited by at least this article.  Where in the world did you hear the suggestion that Gase would e going with him?

NFL 2021 head coaching carousel: It looks increasingly likely that Josh McDaniels will stay with the Patriots

Related: Quick-hit thoughts on Nick Caserio leaving the Patriots to become new Texans GM

By Bernd Buchmasser@BerndBuchmasser  Jan 7, 2021, 3:00pm EST 

New England Patriots v Miami DolphinsPhoto by Mark Brown/Getty Images

There are six NFL head coaching openings at the moment, and all six of those organizations are busy conducting interviews and vetting potential candidates for the available jobs. One name that is suspiciously missing compared to years past is New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, and it seems as if that will not change.

McDaniels has had no interviews scheduled for any of the open spots so far, and the team with the closest connection to him — the Houston Texans — is apparently also not interested in bringing him aboard. According to a report by the Houston Chronicle’s John McClain, the Patriots’ long-time offensive play caller will not become the Texans’ next head coach despite Nick Caserio just joining the organization as its general manager.

The McDaniels-Caserio connection was an obvious starting point for speculation about the former being a candidate to take over the role last held by another ex-Patriot, Bill O’Brien. After all, the two spent most of the last two decades together in New England and have been close friends since their college days at John Carroll University.

It appears as if the Texans will move in a different direction, however, regardless of them signing Caserio to a six-year deal.

The five other teams looking for new head coaches, meanwhile, have also not actively gone after McDaniels. He did not have any interviews in this hiring cycle, with the New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Chargers, Detroit Lions and Atlanta Falcons all preferring to look at other candidates first. While things can obviously change quickly this time of the year, all signs point towards him not leaving New England this time.

If McDaniels indeed stays put, he would return for a 10th straight season as the team’s offensive coordinator — and 13th overall, including his first stint with the Patriots. This would obviously be welcome news for a club heading into an uncertain future on this side of the ball, with Tom Brady now in Tampa Bay and Cam Newton scheduled to enter unrestricted free agency off a rather disappointing season.

Having some stability on the sidelines should make a potential transition away from Newton easier, or help him get more comfortable in a second year in New England.

McDaniels, meanwhile, was open to the idea of becoming a head coach again. He already led the Denver Broncos for one-and-a-half rather tumultuous years between 2009 and 2010, but when the topic came up during a recent media conference call he said that he “definitely” would like to get another shot at leading a team.

“Absolutely. I definitely want to do that. I’d love to have that opportunity if it presents itself.”

The 44-year-old did have some opportunities to leave the Patriots again over the years, but none of them materialized. He came closest to leaving in 2018, when the Indianapolis Colts already announced him as their new head coach based on a verbal agreement. That deal eventually fell apart and McDaniels returned to New England, where he was given a new contract reportedly paying him on a first-year head coaching level.

Since that experience, he interviewed for two more teams. McDaniels talked to the Green Bay Packers in 2019 and the Cleveland Browns one year later. It seems as if 2021 will not bring an opportunity at a head coaching gig, however, at least from the current perspective.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Best part is that some of the same people who excuse Darnold's terrible performance on his weeapoinz/coach/whatever put all of the blame for Texans going 4-12 on Watson -- who threw for 4,800 yards, with 33/7 TD/INT and led the AFC in QB rating, behind only Rodgers across the NFL -- without Nuk, with the #23 ranked OL, and with the #31 ranked run game.

image.thumb.png.6a05a47ce965108f6ed73d9fc5b780be.png

Does it come with a spleen spinner?

• Haha 1