Jet's to interview Aaron Glenn

jayrad01

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Do you believe I got a downvote for it.  Some folks are way too serious here.  Rookie Aaron Glenn being burned on the infamous clock play was posted for sheer nostalgia.  I have no clue whether or not Aaron Glenn is a qualified HC candidate.  If he is, then interview him.  

I know, I saw that, I laughed. I know you don't give a rat's ass about that and neither do I, but sometimes you just have to scratch your head. I got downvoted for saying a few weeks ago that Adam Gase needs to get kicked in his ass (translation: pink slipped). I thought maybe his wife posts here and wants to fight me. Or maybe it was Miko Grimes. ?  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

1st film they should show to next year's corners  :)  Glenn was the victim in his rookie season.

I was also at that game. To be fair, I think Glenn was one of the few players that actually wasn't fooled on the play. I remember him slipping right after the snap and then he couldn't recover. I always thought he got a bad rap on that play. Oh well, that was my recollection at least...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

How great was our secondary in the late 90’s with Aaron Glenn and Victor Green coached by Belichick?

Indeed; and there was also a 1-2 year span when James Hasty was also on the team. The Jets were mildly feared because we also had the towering presence of the mighty Ray Mickens (translation: midget retarded cousin). It was actually fun to watch defense. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, baamf said:

I was also at that game. To be fair, I think Glenn was one of the few players that actually wasn't fooled on the play. I remember him slipping right after the snap and then he couldn't recover. I always thought he got a bad rap on that play. Oh well, that was my recollection at least...

could be, looking at it again.   rookie stuff anyway for a CB with a terrific career.

I love the idea of shopping in house to get a HC. Aaron Glenn is synonymous with the Jets.

However, in this case, I just think he's simply not experienced enough to take on such a huge responsibility. Some day he probably will be, and when that day comes, I want him as our HC. He still needs more time IMO. Needs to be a Defensive coordinator for a few years and not just a position coach.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was merely stating a point of fact:  The Bieniemy interview came first and thus fulfilled the Rooney Rule.

The only thing we can probably extrapolate from that is this interview with Aaron Glenn was NOT a mere Rooney Rule formality.  

I have been an advocate of more coaches of color for a while so yes, you definitely didn't get my drift on this one, lol.

Ah, again - my apologies. When you spell it out (to the mentally challenged - me,) it makes much more sense in that context. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

True but we had to let the Texans draft Glenn so we could shed a bad contract (I think Ryan Young)

Young’s replacement Mackenzie was actually an upgrade.  But Bradway screwed up and signed Aaron Beasley to replace Glenn who sucked

If I remember right, the texans agreed to take Marcus Coleman’s and Glenn’s contract if we’d include in Ryan Young on the unprotected list...then of course Young never did anything after leaving the jets and was out of the league in a few years 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Andy Reid went from TE/assistant OLC to 2 yrs as QBC (Favre who was already 1st team AP the prior 3 seasons anyway) to HC. Zero years as coordinator. 

And the Eagles declined to renew his contract lol

1 minute ago, jgb said:

And the Eagles declined to renew his contract lol

Well, back then he was like a high-end Marvin Lewis in some ways (though he did make the SB once). Played way too conservatively as soon as he reached the playoffs. The fans hated him for it. Did other dumbass things like using his newly-extended mega-priced RB at the end of a garbage time loss (down by 25 pts) only to see him get a neck injury or something (I used to do fantasy football back then & McCoy was my RB so it sticks out for me).

He wasn't coaching royalty nearly the way he is today (2015 was his first playoff victory as HC in 7 years; 2018 brought his 2nd playoff victory in 10 years). Plus the truth of the matter is Philadelphia won a SB without him before he won a SB away from Philly. Means to an end & such. 

I don't think Jets fans would be thrilled if any new HC came in here and (without any extra draft picks like the Jets have now) the first order of biz was to trade the next upcoming 2nd round picks on a former bust QB who'd never to date thrown 20 TDs in a single season, suffered a bad concussion the prior year, a long injury history before that, and whose upside was a game-manager that could put you to sleep even while watching him throw a TD.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Andy Reid went from TE/assistant OLC to 2 yrs as QBC (Favre who was already 1st team AP the prior 3 seasons anyway) to HC. Zero years as coordinator. 

Reid was AHC in addition to QBC.  So was Edwards as someone else mentioned.

7 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Good Article on him.  

Dan Pompei Dec 1, 2020comment-icon.png 62 save-icon.png

When Bill Parcells joined the Jets in the winter of 1997, Aaron Glenn was a third-year player, one of the few on the roster who had trade value.

Glenn kept hearing things. Parcells, people told him, didn’t like small cornerbacks. Combine records said Glenn stood 5-foot-8 1/2. Glenn researched Parcells’ previous cornerbacks — 5-10, 5-11, 6-1, 6-2. Parcells, people were saying, was trying to find out what Glenn would bring in a trade.

Glenn was on edge. So, in his words, he “stormed Parcells’ office” and stared into those steely blues.

Glenn: “You’re going to tell me to my face, man-to-man. You trying to trade me or not? Let me know so I can make plans.”

Parcells, shutting the office door: “Sit down. Listen to me. Everybody has a price. My own wife can get traded.”

Glenn, wide eyes: “Oh, I see, Coach.”

Parcells: “If you play the way I think you can, why are you worried?”

It wasn’t the ideal get-to-know-you meeting, but Glenn learned his first lesson from Parcells — take care of your business and don’t concern yourself with the consequences.

He would learn many more through the years, some through sharp goading, some through harsh rebuking, some through gentle encouraging.

They seem like an odd couple, with 31 years separating them.

One is a big, brash, combustible Jersey guy known as “The Big Tuna.” The other, even-keeled and respectful, is rooted in Humble, Texas.

Parcells once wrestled a bear. Glenn, the seventh of 11 children, used to tend to his family’s pigs and chickens.

Parcells is a hall of fame intimidator. Glenn always has been boy-next-door approachable.

But they bonded as few coaches and players could. Their relationship served as a foundation for Glenn’s playing career, and now his coaching career.

The reason? Parcells has a gene that hardly anybody has. And Glenn has the same gene.

Shortly after Glenn began peewee football at the age of 7, they started calling him “Goodbye Glenn” because he was gone as soon as he was given the ball. At Texas A&M, Glenn was a consensus first-team All-American cornerback who led the country with a 19.2-yard punt return average. Then he ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash at the combine and had a vertical jump of 40 inches.

It was pretty much a done deal that the Buccaneers would draft him with the sixth pick in 1994. But the Bucs changed their plan when quarterback Trent Dilfer fell to them unexpectedly. With the ninth pick, the Browns chose another cornerback, Antonio Langham, who stood 6 feet, instead of Glenn. In charge of Cleveland’s draft was Parcells’ disciple, Bill Belichick. Glenn fell to the 12th pick. The Jets traded up one spot and selected him. His new coach was Pete Carroll, another with little use for short corners.

Glenn wasn’t just short. He was thin. At the combine, Glenn weighed 185 pounds and his body fat measured 2.4 percent, so low that doctors feared something was wrong and prescribed further testing. It turned out he was in excellent condition, lean like a rabbit.

Carroll, like Parcells, got over his prejudice and clicked with Glenn. But Carroll was fired after Glenn’s rookie year and replaced by Rich Kotite. In Glenn’s first three seasons, the Jets were 10-38.

Enter Parcells.

“Wow,” Glenn says. “It just opened my mind to a whole new world of football between him and Coach Belichick. … That’s when my game really went to another level when I got with those guys.”

Devaney, Glenn’s wife of 26 years, remembers those early years. “When Parcells came, I saw a different type of attitude in him,” she says. “He became even more driven.”

Parcells, unsurprisingly, did not make Glenn’s acclimation easy.

He reminded Glenn from time to time of when he was coaching the Patriots and a receiver beat Glenn. The cornerback ended up on the ground on the Patriots’ sideline near Parcells. “Remember when you were crying like a little baby on our sideline?” Parcells would tell him.

Parcells wouldn’t have gone there if he didn’t see something special in Glenn. When the Jets were preparing for the Patriots and wide receiver Terry Glenn was on top of his game, Parcells typically told Aaron Glenn at the beginning of the week he would have to give him safety help.

“He knew I didn’t like that,” Aaron Glenn says. “He knew I wanted to go one-on-one. I was like, ‘Nah, you don’t have to do that.’ He’d say, ‘Let’s see how you practice.’ So, in practice, I’m showing him I don’t need any help. Then I realized what he was doing was forcing me to practice better, to mentally get my mind to a point where I was going to shut this guy down.”

Then there was the dollhouse.

Every year, Parcells put a dollhouse in Glenn’s locker. And every week, Parcells wrote the name of the receiver Glenn would be covering on the house. If Glenn held the player to a prescribed number of yards, Parcells crossed out the name. If Glenn failed to meet his goal, Parcells put a doll representing the receiver in the house.

Parcells: “How many guys are you going to let live in that house and take over your house?”

Glenn: “Coach, no one’s taking over my house.”

Parcells: “Well, you have to show me that.”

Glenn acknowledges Parcells achieved his goal. He played with an edge.

“I’ll tell you what, man, I looked forward to seeing him cross those names out every week,” he says. “That was like the highlight of that day. After a game, that’s all I wanted was seeing him cross that name out and knowing that I didn’t let a guy build a room in my house.”

Parcells moved on in 2000, and the Jets left Glenn unprotected in the 2002 expansion draft and the Texans claimed him. In 2005, Parcells, then the Cowboys’ head coach, signed Glenn as a free agent. That’s when Parcells began to think of Glenn as more than a cornerback. “I started watching him interact with the players who were there,” Parcells says. “He knew me and my system, what we wanted. He could transmit information to them, and I saw him do that.”

GettyImages-51550853-e1606760457935.jpg

Aaron Glenn, right, breaks up a pass intended for Tony Martin in 1994. (Henny Ray Abrams / AFP via Getty Images)

Sean Payton, who was the Cowboys’ offensive coordinator under Parcells, saw the coaching potential in Glenn as well. In the 2005 season opener, the Cowboys had a four-point lead over the Chargers late. Drew Brees went into two-minute mode and drove the Chargers to the Dallas 7 with 30 seconds left. Glenn leveraged wide receiver Eric Parker on an inside breaking route and stole Brees’ pass to him in the end zone, preserving the victory.

“It was only because of his film study that he understood where he needed to be on a play like that,” Payton says. “He’s extremely intelligent. That’s why he played so long in this league. He understood splits. He understood concepts. He studied film. He was definitely one of the leaders in that room, and he helped younger players understand you’re not defending every route. You’re defending the splits and then the routes that come from those splits.”

When Parcells left the Cowboys, so did Glenn. He ended up reuniting with Payton in 2008 in New Orleans, but he played only four games that year because of an ankle injury. After 15 years, three Pro Bowls, 41 interceptions, and 167 passes defended, Glenn was done.

As it turned out, however tall Glenn was — he goes with 5-foot-10 — it was tall enough for Parcells.

Once Glenn retired, it was time for Aaron II, Tristen, and Rheagen — morning school runs, competitive cheerleading practices and AAU basketball games. But there also was time in almost every day for drives, chips and putts.

Income was not an issue. At one point, he was the second-highest-paid cornerback after Deion Sanders. And he was a saver who never needed much, except the game. He got involved in the fried chicken business, purchasing a Williams Fried Chicken in Dallas and seven Frenchy’s Chickens in the Houston area. Beyonce frequented Frenchy’s and even sang about it.

Life was pretty good. Or so it seemed.

Glenn found himself watching more and more football on TV. Devaney noticed. One day, she stared at him as he stared at the screen. “I have watched you fight this,” she told him. “Just go coach. I can tell you aren’t happy. I know it will make you happy. Go coach.”

Football was in his blood. Fried chicken, gratefully, was not. “It just goes to show you God puts something in your heart, and even though you try to go a certain way, he’s always going to revert you back to what’s in your heart,” Glenn says.

He sold the restaurants and called Parcells.

By that time, Glenn was one of Parcells’ “made guys,” a select group that includes Payton, Mike Zimmer, Romeo Crennel, Todd Bowles, Al Groh, Jeff Ireland and Brian Gaine.

Glenn: “I’d like to get into coaching. Would you help me?”

Parcells: “I’ll help you, but you’re not going to coach yet. First, I want you to scout.”

Glenn: “But I don’t want to scout. I want to coach.”

Parcells: “Well, that’s how we’re going to do this. I think you have a chance to be a head coach with your personality. But in order to be a head coach, you have to understand the personnel part of football.”

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum invited Glenn to visit and learn about scouting. When he saw how serious Glenn was, he offered him a job as a pro scout.

A member of the Jets’ four-decade team, Glenn was franchise royalty working an entry-level position. Superiors tried to defer to Glenn and show him the respect he had earned as a player. But he would not allow it. Tannenbaum would ask another scout to run a menial errand, like filling the coffee pot or making copies. Glenn would say, “No, I got this.”

“I wanted everybody in the room to know, even the other scouts, that I wasn’t too big to do the small stuff,” Glenn says. “I wanted to start at the very bottom and learn every little thing there is about scouting.”

As a pro scout, Glenn learned about evaluating the skills, athleticism and body types of quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, offensive linemen — players he never studied except as opponents. The following year, Glenn became a college scout covering the Midwest. From Houston to Grand Forks, North Dakota, he drove his Hyundai Sonata, which gave him 35 miles to the gallon. On the road, he learned about system fits and the perils of projections.

In 2014, Browns coach Mike Pettine called Glenn to see if he was ready to coach yet.

Glenn called Parcells.

Yes, Parcells said, he was.

Four years ago, Payton brought Glenn back to New Orleans to oversee his secondary, knowing he was his kind of coach.

“I see a lot of myself in Coach Payton,” Glenn says. “I love the way he interacts with the players. I love the way he carries on his meetings. They are very informative, very black and white. As a player, you can clearly see the direction of what we’re trying to do each game. It’s the whole team in one area. This is how we win this game. It’s a clear direction that everybody in the building understands. It’s something I’m adopting when I get a chance to be a head coach.”

Now 2 pounds over his playing weight, Glenn runs routes against his corners and safeties and does half-gassers with them on Wednesdays. He wants them to know he is in the fight with them. He wants them to know he hasn’t lost all of that 4.4.

Saints safety Marcus Williams has experienced Payton-like zeal in Glenn. “You can see (Glenn’s) passion as if he was one of us,” Williams says. “He has that dog, that fight, that determination. He tries to bring us that energy as if he were still on the field with us.”

Payton and Glenn are sparks from the same piece of flint. “When you work for Bill or work under Bill, you pick up things you are going to use later,” Payton says.

These days, Glenn sometimes tells Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore he’s going to have to give him help against a particular wide receiver, as Parcells used to tell Glenn. Lattimore bristles, as Glenn once did. But then he usually balls out.

After 11 years in the league, safety Malcolm Jenkins returned to the Saints this year with a preference for being near the action — in the box, part of the run fit, blitzing or in press coverage. Glenn needed him to play deep more, and he and Jenkins have had an ongoing conversation about the mental aspects of expanding his role. It’s stretching the player, a Parcells hallmark.

“His ability to really fine-tune how I need to play each game based off the strategy is something that has helped me be more engaged and make more plays doing things outside of my comfort zone,” says Jenkins, who watched Glenn play for the Jets as a kid in New Jersey. “I like to think I know a lot about the game, but Aaron finds ways to improve my game, teaches me areas I can work on and teaches me new things, which is rare. I appreciate that.”

Parcells never shied from confrontation, and he always was comfortable dealing in uncomfortable truths. Two years ago, when it became apparent that Vonn Bell had to play ahead of veteran Kurt Coleman, Glenn didn’t force Coleman to read the tea leaves to find out about it. He told him frankly and pointedly.

Glenn’s messages to his players are more likely to be coated with salt than sugar. “I’m appreciative of how direct he is, whether he thought we had a good game, a good practice, bad practice,” Jenkins says. “He’s going to keep it real.”

Sometimes, that means being “easy to hear,” according to Payton. Glenn can get loud if the circumstances call for it. But he won’t do it indiscriminately.

Glenn had his share of blisterings from Parcells, like the time Parcells found out he was sitting out a practice through an athletic trainer instead of directly from Glenn. After lambasting a player, Parcells usually found him later in the day, put an arm around him and calmly explained why he had been upset. Glenn does it the same way.

Glenn deals with players based on an individual-by-individual basis. “Marshon needs me to be tough on him,” Glenn says. “He needs me to be stern and let him know exactly where he stands and what he needs to do. Then you take my nickel, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. … He’s a guy you don’t want to yell and scream at because he doesn’t respond to that really well.”

At 5:30 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 28, Glenn’s phone rang. He knew who it was, and he knew what was coming. His defensive backs had allowed three touchdowns in a loss to the Packers the previous day.

Glenn: “Hello.”

Parcells: “What the hell happened?”

Glenn: “How did you see it?”

Parcells: “You gotta get your guys to play with more eye discipline.”

Glenn: “I know it, Coach, you’re right.”

Parcells: “They’re trying to defend the run, and they’re not looking at the guys they are covering. They have to have better eyes.”

Glenn: “Coach, I’m on it.”

Parcells: “You shouldn’t have lost that game. All right, bye.”

That was the whole conversation, start to finish.

The calls regularly come after Saints games. Glenn looks forward to them, part of his continuing education.

The voice on the phone is a voice in his head anyway.

Glenn wants to know everything he can about the game. He sits in on the Saints’ special teams meetings just to learn. Glenn frequently questions college coaches such as Florida Atlantic defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt about the game’s progression at that level. During his downtime, he researches trends. Last offseason, he looked at why passing yards and points were increasing. He recently did a study on how Belichick’s defensive philosophy was evolving.

Glenn and Belichick often spend time together on the draft workout circuit. He acknowledges they have spoken about working together someday, and he was rumored to be a candidate to replace Matt Patricia as Belichick’s defensive coordinator in 2018.

Belichick is one of many who have been mentors to Glenn. Others whom he still seeks counsel from include Carroll, Crennel, Groh and Darrell Wade, his coach at Nimitz High School.

In the offseason, Glenn visits some of them. And he almost always takes a trip to see his primary mentor in Florida. They will either meet at Parcells’ home or in a private area of a restaurant. A stack of Glenn’s notebooks will be on the table. For three or four days, they talk football and only football. Parcells proposes a hypothetical game situation and asks Glenn what he would do. Parcells tells stories from his coaching days. They analyze systems. They talk about how front-line play and linebacker play blend with back-end play. They break down offenses, defenses and special teams. Parcells talks about what to say in front of a team. They discuss discipline options. Parcells goes over questions an owner might ask him.

“I will tell you unequivocally, Aaron tries to prepare himself for all the options,” Parcells says. “He wants to know everything.”

It’s one of the reasons Parcells and Payton believe Glenn will be a head coach in the NFL.

The only unknown, it seems, is when. Glenn never has been a coordinator. He has called defensive plays, and Saints coordinator Dennis Allen — his college teammate at A&M — gives him the reigns from time to time. At 48, with 24 years of NFL experience, he hardly is green.

Glenn always has been ahead of where he was supposed to be. As a high school freshman, he started on varsity both ways. He started his first game in junior college, his first game at A&M, and his first game with the Jets.

There was a reason for all of it.

“It’s so important to him,” Payton says.

“I don’t really know anyone who works as hard as my husband,” Devaney says. “He’s very passionate about it. Like Parcells.”

“The thing I would say is Aaron really likes football, and I really like football,” Parcells says. “You’d be surprised. Not every coach likes it as much as guys like Aaron and myself.”

Parcells, who talks about “the narcotic” of his profession, tried to walk away from football, too. But he couldn’t. He returned three times after retirements.

The gene they share? It’s the one that makes them addicted to football.

Thanks for posting Gone With The Wind. It only took ten minutes to scroll through on a mobile. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

Revis wasn't really a Jet.  Did he have the best season of any Jets CB in history (and arguably in NFL history)?  Sure.  But that's different from calling him the best Jets CB of all-time.

I have to disagree, but I see your point. He was the best CB in the NFL for a few seasons with the Jets. Can’t say the same about Glenn, although he was a great Jet. Revis shut down top tier receivers several times.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Can not make Glenn HC after Gase. JD just asking for the universe to punish him. Glenn is totally unproven at any higher level coaching role. 

You’re right but really what is difference between Glenn at this point and Eric Mangini who people here still rave about

Mangini was a Secondary coach who then became Belichick’s DC for one year before Woody hired him

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, rangerous said:

maybe if you include character.  but he was also the one victimized by marino's fake spike play.

Not one player on defense was ready for that play, so blaming Glenn because it was to his side, kinda sucks....

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sout0266 said:

If I remember right, the texans agreed to take Marcus Coleman’s and Glenn’s contract if we’d include in Ryan Young on the unprotected list...then of course Young never did anything after leaving the jets and was out of the league in a few years 

Right

The strategy was fine it just ended up being poorly executed with Bradway signing Abraham, Beasley and Barrett to replace Coleman and Glenn

I think the jump from Secondary coach to HC is too big of a jump.  I would love him to be considered for a DC position but dear God can we please, please, please get back to owner hires GM, GM Hires HC and HC hires coordinators?

My initial point about the size of the jump is a concern but who knows? The Giants coach seems to be doing OK and his own jump was the same as this one would be.

Part of the genius of Parcells (and I personally think it is smaller overall than many others do) but a big part if his genius was to choose the right people to put into leadership positions around him.  I want at least some evidence from our next HC that they have talent in this area and you really are not going to get much of a read on that from a coordinator.