Grade the Potential Hire - Marvin Lewis

Marvin Lewis?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets hire Marvin Lewis, I would give it a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

3 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

I would not pick him, but remember in Cincy, he was given zero $$$ to sign free agents etc. i think he can draw good coordinators...

Pretty much my thinking too.  I could see why you would take a shot with him, if youre looking for a HC with NFL experience and who is a CEO type, there arent a whole lot to choose from.  I would roll the dice with one of the two college guys first or a longer term football guy type like a Martindale from a winning team

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If Marvin were to be hired, I would like to entertain the notion that he's there to get us through the storm. Get this franchise on its feet, Stability and structure... then, pass the baton in 2-3 years to his OC/DC... which is more than we deserve frankly. 

The majority here are chasing OCs because of their playcalling.,... only so they can not call plays here. smh.

That's a great point. If Bienemy comes, does he bring the QB coach to be OC?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CTM said:

The 0-7 playoff record is scary but he's a decent coach. There was a time with Reid had the can't win  in the playoffs tag too

People really forgot this fast about Reid. Absent Mahomes I wonder if he'd still be carrying that reputation. Probably yes.

Anyway I was thinking how I'd grade it and was thinking C+ only to look up there and see that's the grade that got more than any others.

Good coach, and will probably help get things straightened out of such a rut, but the biggest "Champs" title we could get is division champs. Way better than we've had for years, but ultimately anticlimactic. 

Like an impotent guy exited about his first hardon in years while secretly knowing he's going to suffer blueballs very shortly thereafter.

Actually it's probably just like that, lol.

• Upvote 2

Marvin Lewis would be better as a warden at Sing-Sing .

Cincinnati Bengals

Number of arrests: 44 (since 2000)

The Bengals currently employ Adam Jones, who has the most arrests of any NFL player since 2000 (10) and was even arrested earlier this year for poking a security guard in the eye. They also employed the player with the third most arrests since 2000, Chris Henry (6), who passed away in 2009. Overall, the Bengals have had nine assaults, nine DUIs and six domestic violence cases over the past 17 years.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

A very competent guy, successful HC experience in the NFL - proven he can get to the playoffs, in a very tough division.

I'm sure he's learned.  Get better QB play and he can start winning some of those playoff games.

The more I think about it - this would be one of the better hires we can find.

By 48 he was the HC of a team in Cincy that won 11 games 

Not bad in year 3 with that organization.  

People keep saying hes been out of coaching but he last coached in 2018, this isnt Cowher.  

Again, not my first choice but if hes their choice, I'd get what they like about him

• Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, CTM said:

The 0-7 playoff record is scary but he's a decent coach. There was a time with Reid had the can't win  in the playoffs tag too

No, he didn't.  Reid had a tag of inability to win the NFC Championship, and then later a ring, which is a fairly substantial difference to inability to win a single playoff game.

Quite literally, in his very first playoff game, in his second season as a head coach, Reid got more postseason wins than Lewis did over the course of 16 years.  Not even close to comparable.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

If Marvin were to be hired, I would like to entertain the notion that he's there to get us through the storm. Get this franchise on its feet, Stability and structure... then, pass the baton in 2-3 years to his OC/DC... which is more than we deserve frankly. 

The majority here are chasing OCs because of their playcalling.,... only so they can not call plays here. smh.

Where did this "This guy is a great stabilizer' come from?  His teams were beset by character problems almost all through his tenure.

Also if the strategy is to hire a guy to be fired or have him step down in a few years no thanks.

I refuse to believe there will not be a better candidate there for us.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Where did this "This guy is a great stabilizer' come from?  His teams were beset by character problems almost all through his tenure.

Look at the Bengals record the decade before he was there, then look at his tenure, then look at what happened after he left.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Usually goes that way in the playoffs when your team isnt as good as the opposition and youre mostly playing on the road in WC games.

Record-setting levels of incompetence in the postseason is pretty hard to make excuses for.

I mean, let's just keep it real simple, how about when they played the 2009 Jets?  To start, that match-up was entirely the Bengals own doing, as the Jets were only in the playoffs by sneaking in with a 9-7 record when they kicked the living crap out of the Bengals in week 17.  The teams then flew out to Cincy for a rematch where the Jets slapped them around for the second time just 6 days later.  That's a 9-7 team on the road with a rookie QB.

It's also worth noting they regularly lost to other teams who have historically been pretty awful in the playoffs themselves.  The Colts, Chargers, Texans (twice, against the immortal talents of Matt Schaub and TJ Yates), and of course the Jets, are not exactly known for their own postseason prowess.  So basically, beyond 2 games vs the Steelers, it was hardly the most insurmountable of playoff opponents.

Lewis was not a bad overall coach, particularly when you compare him to the sh*tstorm the Jets have dealt with the past 2 years, but he's still a proven disastrous failure in high-pressure situations.  16 years is more than a big enough sample size to show that quite clearly.

4 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Look at the Bengals record the decade before he was there, then look at his tenure, then look at what happened after he left.

After he left?  The Bengals downfall began while he was still there, and that's what got him fired.  His tenure ended with 3 consecutive losing seasons.  He had been there 16 years, so you can hardly point fingers at history for a team that was entirely his at that point.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

After he left?  The Bengals downfall began while he was still there, and that's what got him fired.  His tenure ended with 3 consecutive losing seasons.  He had been there 16 years, so you can hardly point fingers at history for a team that was entirely his at that point.

Big difference between 7-9 and 2-14.

They were an embarrassment before he was there and are an embarrassment again after he left.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

LOL so true. Like how we should discount Eric Bieniemy because he doesn't call plays in KC. We aren't looking to hire him to call plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I would be quite happy with this hire.  A known quantity that will carry weight with other coaches and players

A very competent guy, successful HC experience in the NFL - proven he can get to the playoffs, in a very tough division.

I'm sure he's learned.  Get better QB play and he can start winning some of those playoff games.

The more I think about it - this would be one of the better hires we can find.

Agree. I'd still take Harbaugh over him, but Lewis would be my second choice.