Grade the Potential Hire - Marvin Lewis

Marvin Lewis?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets hire Marvin Lewis, I would give it a grade of......

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D+
    • D
    • F
    • F-

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

In my humblest of opinions, yes.

Hope so. Hope so.

Updated odds (from 2 days ago). Seems to implictly also signal Jets expected to take Fields due to Daboll's surge.

Option/Odds

Brian Daboll+300

Dan Mullen+500

Arthur Smith+600

Matt Eberflus+600

Joe Brady+700

Eric Bieniemy+750

Lincoln Riley+800

Matt Campbell+900

Jim Harbaugh+1000

Robert Saleh+1000

Brian Schottenheimer+1200

Dave Toub+1400

Pat Fitzgerald+1400

Raheem Morris+1400

Bill O’Brien+1600

Chuck Pagano+1600

Dabo Swinney+1600

Urban Meyer+1800

Doug Pederson+3300

Rex Ryan+3300

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Bad ownership is so crippling to a sports franchise. Look at what Marv had to deal with - never signing any of your draft picks to second deals because your owner is cheap, not being able to be active participants in FA because..... your owner is cheap. Despite all that, he managed to be very competitive and even win the AFCN a few times, competing with the Ravens and Steelers. As I stated: Somehow Marv's tenure with the Bengals has apparently become underrated.

Totally agree.

I get that he never won a playoff game, but the guy made the playoffs five consecutive years with Andy Dalton at QB. He's become a cheap shot target but he's a good coach.

• Upvote 2

On 1/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, NYJ1 said:

It would be a satisfactory hire but probably nothing more? In regards to the Rooney rule this is what it was designed for. On top of that Lewis was experience and has actually made the playoffs. That being said, he's never won a playoff game and rarely did his team go to the playoffs. 

This is definitely from a resume standpoint this is definitely one of the best hires you can make. Way better than Eric Bieniemy. 

The problem is, I thought reports said they were going to hire ap preferably sb experienced HC? That is definitely not Lewis. I'm pretty sure he has experience as a coordinator, but not as HC.

For me that hire would be merely satisfactory? Like a C?

7 years out of 16 is "rarely"?

16 year tenure, 131 wins, 4 division titles, 7 playoff appearances (incl. 5 in a row) ... who was the last Jets coach that even came close in any of these categories? Rex got us there two years in a row and there are still many who think he's some sort of god. :D 

Sure, you can knock the lack of playoff wins ... but I just can't help the feeling that we're sitting here being rather picky while now owning the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.