The Jets Scouting Dept, and who will be responsible for evaluating the college QBs?

I've been wondering who, besides Joe Douglas and possibly more important than Joe Douglas, is the expert in Florham Park that will evaluate and grade this year's QBs?  This is obviously important since there will be a clear choice at #2 that includes all of the following except one individual - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, etc.

As we know, the decision is crucial.  It's the difference between putting Sam Darnold under Center or Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, potentially for a decade+.  It's the guys who encouraged Andy Reid to trade up for Patrick Mahomes or take Tom Brady for the Pats once Round 6 rolled around.  There's a large degree of good fortune (luck) in this inexact science, but at the end of the day there will be thousands of hours of work spent on these players.....and the team writes just one name on the Draft card.

So who are the guys doing this work, who will point things out from film, interviews, evaluations, etc. and make a recommendation to JD?  And, do we know how well they've done in doing this before?  Can we go back and look at any key QB decisions made by the guys on this staff?  I know I'm digging deep here, but was curious.  These are often franchise-changing decisions....one way or the other.  For every Lamar Jackson taken at the end of the 1st round there's a Ryan Leaf taken at #2.

1876373523_ScreenShot2021-01-07at1_38_06PM.thumb.png.11953ca634db92bd40f2ae0806610057.png

Guessing we have area scouts who grade their regions and then senior guys like the area scouts boss and Phil Savage and Rex hogan have input off of the top grades.   If I recall savage was in charge of the Senior Bowl before we hired him. So guessing he’s involved with the college players more than the pro, but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Guessing we have area scouts who grade their regions and then senior guys like the area scouts boss and Phil Savage and Rex hogan have input off of the top grades.   If I recall savage was in charge of the Senior Bowl before we hired him. So guessing he’s involved with the college players more than the pro, but I could be wrong.

I know it's a team effort and there will be tons of input.  Just wondering if there is any type of QB evaluation guru on the staff, someone who can look at these guys and say, "this guy makes the throws the other ones can't," or "this footwork is correctable but his release is a problem," etc.  Like who is the guy on the Jets who said to take Darnold over Allen because even though Allen has a canon and is physically gifted he'll never be an accurate passer?  It has turned out that Allen's accuracy absolutely could be improved, and it was.

Good question. Savage and Hogan are experienced and well thought of. 

These guys and JD have a lot of time on task. JD in particular is described as a good listener. I am sure they will get a lot of input from folks outside the Jets organization.

One way of looking at your post is that the Jets should have drafted Allen.  Allen has done very well at Buffalo. But I am not sure he would have fared any better than SD had he become a Jet. It’s been a miserable franchise. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, addage said:

Good question. Savage and Hogan are experienced and well thought of. 

These guys and JD have a lot of time on task. JD in particular is described as a good listener. I am sure they will get a lot of input from folks outside the Jets organization.

One way of looking at your post is that the Jets should have drafted Allen.  Allen has done very well at Buffalo. But I am not sure he would have fared any better than SD had he become a Jet. It’s been a miserable franchise. 

No doubt.  One of the hardest questions to answer.

Had the Jets drafted Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs drafted Sam Darnold who would be more successful right now?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been wondering who, besides Joe Douglas and possibly more important than Joe Douglas, is the expert in Florham Park that will evaluate and grade this year's QBs?  This is obviously important since there will be a clear choice at #2 that includes all of the following except one individual - Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask, etc.

As we know, the decision is crucial.  It's the difference between putting Sam Darnold under Center or Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson, potentially for a decade+.  It's the guys who encouraged Andy Reid to trade up for Patrick Mahomes or take Tom Brady for the Pats once Round 6 rolled around.  There's a large degree of good fortune (luck) in this inexact science, but at the end of the day there will be thousands of hours of work spent on these players.....and the team writes just one name on the Draft card.

So who are the guys doing this work, who will point things out from film, interviews, evaluations, etc. and make a recommendation to JD?  And, do we know how well they've done in doing this before?  Can we go back and look at any key QB decisions made by the guys on this staff?  I know I'm digging deep here, but was curious.  These are often franchise-changing decisions....one way or the other.  For every Lamar Jackson taken at the end of the 1st round there's a Ryan Leaf taken at #2.

1876373523_ScreenShot2021-01-07at1_38_06PM.thumb.png.11953ca634db92bd40f2ae0806610057.png

How can our draft picks always suck when we have enough college scouts to form the 51st state ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Guessing no one will know the answer to that question.

• Upvote 1