Another Klecko snub !!!!!!!

1 minute ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Hello , Ray Lewis , Hello .

Yep, although not convicted. If it was today, he'd still be suspended since Goodell's standard "preponderance of the evidence/more likely than not" is much lower than criminal "beyond a reasonable doubt."

This is also why you can sue people in court for damages even for crimes they were not convicted of ala OJ.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A strong case can be made for why he shouldn't go in.  That's what a borderline HOF player is there are arguments on both sides.  

I agree with you.  He was "great" for a few years, until he suffered injuries that brought down his level of performance from great to good.  if not for his injuries, he would have remained great and would most certainly be in the Hall today.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, jetophile said:

put it this way: if you were the owner of a small niche business, like book-binding, for example, would you try to take someone who is down on their luck who committed a minor crime under your wing and apprentice them or would you hire back your old employee who shot up the place just because he served his sentence

I'll walk the dog on this ludicrous hypothetical 

I'd hire whoever could bind books the best. This is a book bindery not a charity. 

Vick and Pac man are both legit sub 4.3 guys these players get more chances than 4.6 guys. Robby Anderson, Cromartie for other examples closer to home.

That's the free market in action. The day they lose a step, they are done. 

The teams doing the hiring should be trusted to make these decisions within the framework of the law. They want to make money too. 

To do otherwise becomes a judgment call where Roger Goodell or similar creates a shadow justice system and we've already seen that the league is bad at that 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

This is what about ism 

Ray Lewis wasn't convicted of anything 

Oj Simpson law breaking happens after the induction 

Joe klecko is a convicted tax fraud, he pled guilty, which is a big deal 

Jets Fans claim its some kind of conspiracy. It's not. The dude has a record, same as Gastineau. As any Italian American of a certain age knows, Tax fraud is how they got AL Capone. Not all of the murders etc. 

If either 73 or 99 tried to get a job greeting for Walmart they'd ask "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" on the application 

If the answer is yes, hall of fame is a tough nut to crack 

Gastineau felonies are like assault at studio 54 but klecko felony to admit widespread insurance fraud I believe it was, that's also pretty bad 

Klecko was convicted lying to the grand jury in a insurance fraud investigation.  A large group of truck owners were asked to testify and he didnt know they already knew he had lent registrations to a friend and was caught testifying that he didnt.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not familiar with that case, but if he was involved with something outside of the Atlanta murders that relates to criminality, that only deepens the stain.

Has nothing to do with his getting into the HOF, it was an accident, a man crossing the Major Deegan pushing a grocery cart.  

He wasnt  arrested, no charges were filed.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Just like Donnie Baseball

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Don Mattingly is still my favorite Yankee, but I understand why he wasn't let in. My criteria for the hall of fame is that if you have to think about it, they are not a hall of famer. I don't have to think about it with Klecko. My huge gut feels hall of fame. 

• Sympathy 1

So, it appears that in the Senior Category, they only get one to nominate. And, this year it was Drew Pearson. 

Pearson emerged from a group of 12 senior nominees whose careers ended at least 25 years ago, with the Hall's senior committee deciding on Pearson as its choice for 2021. Pearson will need to receive 80 percent voting support by the entire 48-member selection committee in a vote held Feb. 6, 2021 in Tampa, Florida.

https://www.nfl.com/news/drew-pearson-tom-flores-finalists-for-hall-of-fame-class-of-2021

43 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Hey HOF , grow a pair and put Klecko in .

It's not a "snub".  He has been denied for decades.  It's a hard "no".  It's over.

If you've asked the prom queen out 10 times and she has emphatically said "no" all 10 times, the 11th "no" isn't a snub.  It just means you're pathetic.

Stop starting these threads every January.  Klecko is not a Hall Of Famer and never will be.  We don't need to be reminded of this.  There is no outrage in being one of the most beloved ex-players in an NFL team's history.  We love Joe.  That will suffice.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

Although the NFL Football Hall of Fame is actually a place I would like to visit, I will never step foot there until Joe Klecko has been admitted.  Absolutely ridiculous that he isn't in.  Don't expect it to ever happen.  NFL has an extremely low opinion of the Jets.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll walk the dog on this ludicrous hypothetical 

I'd hire whoever could bind books the best. This is a book bindery not a charity. 

Vick and Pac man are both legit sub 4.3 guys these players get more chances than 4.6 guys. Robby Anderson, Cromartie for other examples closer to home.

That's the free market in action. The day they lose a step, they are done. 

The teams doing the hiring should be trusted to make these decisions within the framework of the law. They want to make money too. 

To do otherwise becomes a judgment call where Roger Goodell or similar creates a shadow justice system and we've already seen that the league is bad at that 

OK, so I should have clarified that the person who committed a petty crime showed promise. Of course it's not a charity, it's a business and they're getting paid.

Met Joe once when I was a teenager.  He was opening a gym in Manalapan or somewhere close to that.  He had just written a book "Nose to Nose" about the 1980's Jets teams.

He was gracious and kind, signed my book and shook my hand like no one ever has before.  His mitts were huge and reached half way up my forearm.  

I hope he gets in one day

5 hours ago, jetophile said:

OK, so I should have clarified that the person who committed a petty crime showed promise. Of course it's not a charity, it's a business and they're getting paid.

Do they bind in less than 4.3

The scouting community is often toxic but they really don't care what a person is or does as long as they can perform their job on the field. 

If it was up to scouting, they go with the player regardless of criminal history or other problems... As long as they are not going to get arrested like during the game 

These situations regarding Kaep for example, ask a scout they'd just want to know his vert or 40. That's all these people care about. Owners etc are the ones who ask and answer these Mike vick level questions 

The reason he’s never going to be in the hall of fame is because he was convicted of perjury in the 90’s. He’s never ever ever going in because of that, not the voters. So can we stop with this every year please? He’s never going in.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/13/sports/sports-people-pro-football-klecko-pleads-guilty-to-perjury-charge.html

JOE KLECKO, a former Pro Bowl defensive lineman, pleaded guilty to a charge of lying to a Federal grand jury investigating insurance fraud. Klecko pleaded guilty Monday in United States District Court in Philadelphia after Judge HARVEY BARTLE 3d rejected a defense motion to dismiss the charge of perjury. His lawyer said Klecko was "lured" into committing perjury.

A Federal indictment accused Klecko, a four-time Pro Bowl choice in his career with the Jets from 1977 to 1987, of lying about a $6,000 insurance claim submitted in July 1988 on his truck. The indictment said Klecko told a grand jury that his truck had been damaged by chemical particles and debris and that the truck had been repainted, when in fact neither was true.

Klecko is scheduled to be sentenced April 8. He faces up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine. (AP)

13 hours ago, BP said:

The reason he’s never going to be in the hall of fame is because he was convicted of perjury in the 90’s. He’s never ever ever going in because of that, not the voters. So can we stop with this every year please? He’s never going in.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/13/sports/sports-people-pro-football-klecko-pleads-guilty-to-perjury-charge.html

JOE KLECKO, a former Pro Bowl defensive lineman, pleaded guilty to a charge of lying to a Federal grand jury investigating insurance fraud. Klecko pleaded guilty Monday in United States District Court in Philadelphia after Judge HARVEY BARTLE 3d rejected a defense motion to dismiss the charge of perjury. His lawyer said Klecko was "lured" into committing perjury.

A Federal indictment accused Klecko, a four-time Pro Bowl choice in his career with the Jets from 1977 to 1987, of lying about a $6,000 insurance claim submitted in July 1988 on his truck. The indictment said Klecko told a grand jury that his truck had been damaged by chemical particles and debris and that the truck had been repainted, when in fact neither was true.

Klecko is scheduled to be sentenced April 8. He faces up to five years in prison and a $25,000 fine. (AP)

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China ?  NOTHING . KLECKO FOR HOF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 1/8/2021 at 4:22 AM, bitonti said:

Jets Fans claim its some kind of conspiracy. It's not. The dude has a record, same as Gastineau. As any Italian American of a certain age knows, Tax fraud is how they got AL Capone. Not all of the murders etc. 

And it is a shame because the man was dominant at three positions: DT, DE, and NT.

It also didn't help that some of his teams plain out sucked.

Joe Klecko probably could be considered the Jets best overall defensive player and the second best player next to Namath. Seems like it should be a good story: a guy shows remorse and gets in based solely on how great he was on the gridiron. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2021 at 4:22 AM, bitonti said:

Yeah, thats a bit wrong

He was convicted of perjury in an insurance fraud case.  He was helping out a friend and got caught.  Not quite tax fraud.  

13 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Joe Klecko probably could be considered the Jets best overall defensive player and the second best player next to Namath. Seems like it should be a good story: a guy shows remorse and gets in based solely on how great he was on the gridiron. 

If we are talking about the man purely on the field, the on the field Gastineau is a first ballot player 

This dude held the single season sack record for decades and probably still should hold it 

But the hall considers what a person does off the field and here we are 

Nothing against klecko but he was playing with 3 other studs and Gastineau was the alpha not klecko 

10 hours ago, bitonti said:

If we are talking about the man purely on the field, the on the field Gastineau is a first ballot player 

This dude held the single season sack record for decades and probably still should hold it 

But the hall considers what a person does off the field and here we are 

Nothing against klecko but he was playing with 3 other studs and Gastineau was the alpha not klecko 

Were you a fan during those years?  Because I was a fan back then, and I can tell you that myself and just about every Jets fan I spoke with back then had no illusions about who the Alpha was, and it absolutely not Gastineau.  Did you know that the year Gastineau got like 22 sacks, Klecko got like 21 sacks that same year.  That's why they called the defensive line "the NY sack exchange".

When Joe Klecko was on the field, he was the intimidator.  He stuck his finger in opposing offensive players faces, and they backed down to Klecko.  Gastineau did his stupid sack dance, and no one on the team paid much attention to him, because he was a jerk.  Klecko was the man, and everyone knew it.  You are clueless by saying that Gastineau was the Alpha.  Gastineau ignored the run, and only rushed the passer.  Klecko did it all; he was the man.  It sucks that I have to defend him.  If you are ever lucky to ask one of the ex Jets from back then, any one of them would set you straight about who the Alpha was, I guarantee it!

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

Were you a fan during those years?  Because I was a fan back then, and I can tell .  If you are ever lucky to ask one of the ex Jets from back then, any one of them would set you straight about who the Alpha was, I guarantee it!

I'm another fan from back then. Klecko was THE honcho of that line. He had incredible strength AND quickness. And was the unquestioned leader of the DL. He was a force at all three DL positions, making the Pro Bowl at DT, DE, and NT.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Were you a fan during those years?  Because I was a fan back then, and I can tell you that myself and just about every Jets fan I spoke with back then had no illusions about who the Alpha was, and it absolutely not Gastineau.  Did you know that the year Gastineau got like 22 sacks, Klecko got like 21 sacks that same year.  That's why they called the defensive line "the NY sack exchange".

When Joe Klecko was on the field, he was the intimidator.  He stuck his finger in opposing offensive players faces, and they backed down to Klecko.  Gastineau did his stupid sack dance, and no one on the team paid much attention to him, because he was a jerk.  Klecko was the man, and everyone knew it.  You are clueless by saying that Gastineau was the Alpha.  Gastineau ignored the run, and only rushed the passer.  Klecko did it all; he was the man.  It sucks that I have to defend him.  If you are ever lucky to ask one of the ex Jets from back then, any one of them would set you straight about who the Alpha was, I guarantee it!

The year Gastineau got 22 sacks, Klecko had 3.  The year before Gastineau had 19 and Klecko had 6.5.   Gastineau is credited with 74 career sack, Klecko 24.  I get that Klecko had some good years before they started keeping the stat, but so did Gastineau.  Where is nyjunc when you need him? 

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Don Mattingly is still my favorite Yankee, but I understand why he wasn't let in. My criteria for the hall of fame is that if you have to think about it, they are not a hall of famer. I don't have to think about it with Klecko. My huge gut feels hall of fame. 

You think Klecko is a no-brainer but you have to wonder about Mattingly?  The guy was the best player in baseball for a few years.  Was Klecko ever the best player in the league?   You could argue he wasn't the best on that Dline.  The pro bowl at 3 position is a nice story, but it is kind of like when we talk about modern boxers winning titles in 4 weight classes.  It's not exactly Sugar Ray Robinson

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The year Gastineau got 22 sacks, Klecko had 3.  The year before Gastineau had 19 and Klecko had 6.5.   Gastineau is credited with 74 career sack, Klecko 24.  I get that Klecko had some good years before they started keeping the stat, but so did Gastineau.  Where is nyjunc when you need him? 

Over the years fans have elevated this rosy picture of klecko who was an undersized but very good player and fans have at the same time underrated the first step of 99 

Gastineau was a world class athlete who would be a star in any Era 

6'5" 278 running a 4.56

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Were you a fan during those years?  Because I was a fan back then, and

Gastineau ignored the run, and only rushed the passer.  

Yes I was. Gastineau was the star. Klecko was the hard hat lunch pail team captain type who made the most of his talent. Gastineau had way more talent. If gastineau was in the draft this year he'd be a high first Rd pick and klecko would be undraftable. 

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think Klecko is a no-brainer but you have to wonder about Mattingly?  The guy was the best player in baseball for a few years.  Was Klecko ever the best player in the league?   You could argue he wasn't the best on that Dline.  The pro bowl at 3 position is a nice story, but it is kind of like when we talk about modern boxers winning titles in 4 weight classes.  It's not exactly Sugar Ray Robinson

Yes.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ok genius, unfortunately you need to delve deeper if you want to be taken seriously.

Let me educate you!  #1  The NFL did not record sacks as a statistic until 1982.  So, if you are a simpleton, and you read the stat sheet, it would appear that Joe Klecko only got 24 sacks in his career. The fact is that Klecko got 51.5 sacks before 1982, so that I one fallacy I must correct.

#2 And this is directed at the other genius, Bitoni!  in 1981, Joe Klecko got 20.5 sacks and Mark Gastineau got 20 sacks that year.  Yes, Klecko got more sacks than Gastineau.; a fact. That year was the year of THE New York Sack Exchange, and the team totaled 66.5 sacks for the year.  

#3 That same year in 1981, Klecko got 107 tackles, with 72 solo tackles.  He also played through a sprained foot that same year. Klecko was named by Sports Illustrated "The NFL Player of the Year" in 1981.  Not too bad for a guy that Bitoni said would be undraftable in todays NFL. According to  Barry Wilner of the Associated Press, "Klecko was the Heart of the Sack Exchange".  Again, not too bad for a guy that Bitoni said would not be able to be drafted in todays NFL.

Just if you are interested, in 1980, Gastineau had 11.5 sacks, and Klecko had 10.5 sacks. So, in two prime years of both of of these players, Gastineau had a total of 1/2 sack more than Klecko, but Gastineau was not 1/2 of the player that Klecko was.

In 1982, Klecko suffered a ruptured patella tendon in his right knee, and that is when things went downhill for Joe Klecko.

Klecko was drafted in 1977, and from 1977 through 1981, those 5 years, Klecko was the man amongst men.

Unless you want to admit you were wrong, please just let this go.  Klecko was my second favorite Jet of all time behind Joe Namath.  It's bad enough that I have to put up with non-Jets fans, you know what I mean?