JN PREDICTION THREAD (HC+QB)

Paradis

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

So it's the mormon fella?

Neither is really. Just think when you pick #2 and you need a QB that's the best time to take a shot. They both could bust, for all I know. I do prefer Fields over Wilson, though. I think the distance between the two will not narrow but rather expand during the pre-draft process. I expect Fields to grade extremely well athletically.

Just now, jgb said:

Neither is really. Just think when you pick #2 and you need a QB that's the best time to take a shot. They both could bust, for all I know. I do prefer Fields over Wilson, though. I think the distance between the two will not narrow but rather expand during the pre-draft process. I expect Fields to grade extremely well athletically.

1_WHPN1U0YitiTuWO9wrmaeg.jpg.c2f931c32ce1cbfc4056fa46166194a6.jpg

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'll add this:  don't be shocked my friends, when Douglas trades for Matt Stafford or some other Veteran QB.  I think there is every possibility this is the direction JD is thinking today.

The new HC will have a large voice in that matter. You don't surprise the guy you seduced into bed with a toy he never agreed to play with.

*trust me*

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

The new HC will have a large voice in that matter. You don't surprise the guy you seduced into bed with a toy he never agreed to play with.

*trust me*

true, plus, if douglas trades for stafford and then trades back in the draft, what's the plan?  why not keep darnold and have the new coaches work with him?

• Upvote 1

Want: Matt Campbell

Expect: Martindale.... Or Lewis. Those two names have been the loudest the longest. Surprising/Confusing he hasn't been interviewed yet. 

Want: Fields? I'm so confused.

Expect:  Fields... A week ago, I would have said Darnold + vet b/c I believe HCs and GMs are still much higher on Darnold than we are. Then he played poorly at NE and Fields blew Clemson apart like a virgin in College. Fields is turning a prairie fire conversation I'd wager. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Want: Matt Campbell

Expect: Martindale.... Or Lewis. Those two names have been the loudest the longest. Surprising/Confusing he hasn't been interviewed yet. 

Want: Fields? I'm so confused.

Expect:  Fields... A week ago, I would have said Darnold + vet b/c I believe HCs and GMs are still much higher on Darnold than we are. Then he played poorly at NE and Fields blew Clemson apart like a virgin in College. Fields is turning a prairie fire conversation I'd wager. 

Darnold's NE performance told us nothing new about him. Field's performance against Clemson was impressive.

Again I go back to if JD was high on Darnold, why didn't he start the rebuild last off season? I still think he cleared the decks to move on.

• Upvote 2

2021 Saleh with Darnold starting after easily beating out James Morgan in training camp.    

(Jets trade up or down in 1st rd to grab Lance, sit him a year)

2022  Saleh with Trey Lance starting, Morgan backing up, Darnold walks in free agency

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

Darnold's NE performance told us nothing new about him. Field's performance against Clemson was impressive.

Again I go back to if JD was high on Darnold, why didn't he start the rebuild last off season? I still think he cleared the decks to move on.

From an objective analytical standpoint, yes the patriot game was more of the same. But humans are psychological creatures who are prone to the undulations of hope and despair. The combination of finishing off the season against a rivalry team in the fashion he did - coupled by the heroic performance by Fields will reverberate with decision makers was my point.

i’m not sure it was a clearing of the deck, or more of a sticking to the plan to rebuild the roster and not make decisions that were baked in the present too heavily. In other words don’t overreact to current needs or challenges. Let the process play out organically

1 hour ago, Icer said:

This

I don't think they are going QB at #2, even though they should. They'll drag this sad Darnold mess out another year or two before pulling the plug.

If Sam is under center next year I'll lose all respect for JD.  And I really like JD.    

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

I don't understand the implication, honestly. 

The implication is that you're forcing something. "We have a high pick, and we need a quarterback, so regardless of whether I truly believe in the prospect or not, we should take one." 

I mean, Ja Marr Chase I know is going to be great in this league. I'd rather take him than Fields or Wilson because I'm not sure either of those guys are anything but coin flips. 

2021 Saleh with Darnold starting after easily beating out James Morgan in training camp.    
            (Jets trade up or down in 1st rd to grab Lance, sit him a year)
2022  Saleh with Trey Lance starting, Morgan backing up, Darnold walks in free agency
Don't we get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks in fa

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

true, plus, if douglas trades for stafford and then trades back in the draft, what's the plan?  why not keep darnold and have the new coaches work with him?

I don’t think one gives up a 1st round draft pick and/or more for Stafford, and then forgoes the free day 2 pick he’d get for his now-backup QB, to then trade back in the draft a little to pick up a day 2 pick. A little like trading down from #2 to keep Darnold for a year as a backup. I’d much rather take Sewell and trade Darnold, and am not big on drafting a second LT with our sky high pick.

IMO a team looking to stockpile draft picks after trading a 1st/more for Stafford doesn’t then throw any picks away for one season of a QB2 whose poor play as a starter was the inspiration for trading for Stafford in the first place.

If he trades for Stafford, then Stafford's the unquestioned starter & Darnold would be traded within 24 hrs, if it even took that long. From there he might stay at #2 (Sewell, presumably), but my guess is he’d trade down to recoup some or all of what he surrendered to Detroit. Especially if Fields’s stock is sky high and Wilson’s drops some.

9 hours ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

Don't we get a 3rd round comp pick if he walks in fa

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

From what I know it's possible that we could get a compensatory pick for Darnold if he walks after four years but by no means a sure thing...

Compensatory picks depend on a bunch of things, its a formula not divulged by the league.

Per OTC "If a team loses more players that qualify as CFAs than it signs during free agency, that team is eligible to be awarded compensatory picks in the following NFL draft.Those are only players whose contracts expire.

Players who are cut are the most common example of free agents ineligible to become CFAs, but other methods of disqualification, such as a Restricted Free Agent not given a tender, also exist.

In its most general sense, players only become Compensatory Free Agents if they are free to leave their old team against that team’s will."