Jack Conklin 1st team All Pro

Rhg1084

3 minutes ago, Teflon-Don said:

And hopefully he'll still be playing at an All Pro level if we get him. Getting him andddd Thuney would be great to get this off-season

I mean it’s probably one or the other LOL... Douglas will probably use a high pick on an offensive lineman also

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Shoulda signed him 

To think that we could have blown through our cap for the next few years and had a 6-10 season instead is very hard for some fans to deal with. 

You are in the Gettleman camp where you draft a RB at 2, trade draft picks for a really good nose tackle like Leonard Williams who will be a free agent this year, spend a ton on tackle like Solder and invest a ton in a CB like Bradberry when the team, as a whole, isn't very good so that you can go 6-10 in the worst division in NFL history. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

To think that we could have blown through our cap for the next few years and had a 6-10 season instead is very hard for some fans to deal with. 

You are in the Gettleman camp where you draft a RB at 2, trade draft picks for a really good nose tackle like Leonard Williams who will be a free agent this year, spend a ton on tackle like Solder and invest a ton in a CB like Bradberry when the team, as a whole, isn't very good so that you can go 6-10 in the worst division in NFL history. 

I agree but to be fair, Barkley missed most of the season and might have helped them win another two or three games.  But your point still stands. 

12 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

LOL we needed a RT and spent $10m on one anyway. What’s an extra $4m a year to get the best one on the market. The $10m one we signed wasn’t very good 

Exactly.  I get the thinking by JD, and like JD, but this was a missed opportunity.

There will be a plethora of RT prospects at the Seattle pick and our 2nd rounder.  One excellent thing JD has done is to NOT give much guaranteed money to our OL guys beyond year 1.  Fant can be cut for just 2 million dead cap. 

I'm hoping we go QB at 2 overall and then with the next two picks a mix of a RT and then BPA at Edge or IOL.  I expect WR to be addressed in FA. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is just wrong.

The Jets are still overpaying Fant, who still needs to be upgraded. You could have atleast 5 years of Elite RT play with Conklin.

• Upvote 1

people seem to think that douglas can just snap his fingers and get players to play for the jets.  they tried to get conklin but he opted for the browns.  it takes two to make a contract.  same thing with cousins.  they even offered more and he still went to the vikings.  speaking of cousins i'm surprised nobody has really brought up his name of late when discussing darnold.

You guys are looking at this in a very narrow window. If he is overpriced or injured during the next two years he becomes a mistake v fant. The advantage of fant is that his contract is so flexible. So we’ll see. If Conklin is good for the whole contract the browns did better. Also it might even be on average that JD is right, but wrong on this outlier. Law of averages. 

Everyone seems to think that free agency is like Amazon prime and you just click on Conklin or Scherff or Thuney and he is automatically yours. There are multiple teams usually going after the same highly valued players. Maybe it’s possible that Conklin saw Cleveland as an up and coming team that is further ahead in talent than the Jets and decided to go with their offer.

We thought that JD was, or should have been, building a team to support Darnold, like the Bills and Browns did.  But he obviously was not, which may be ok.  

The problem is that I don’t know exactly what JD was doing.  I don’t think he was tanking.  Maybe he was tanking.  But he could have signed Conklin for 3 years and used him as a building block to be competitive in 2021 and 2022.   Fant is signed through next year, for about $10mm, not $14mm.  

In the end if the Jets draft a QB now, replace Darnold and move forward, maybe that ends up better. But if he was trying to be competitive in 2020, he keeps Adams and signs Robby and Conklin.  

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Wierd.  I keep getting told RT isn’t a high value position 

Not #2 in the draft it isn’t. Not when star RTs get let go by their prior teams into FA, and get $5MM/year less than expected.

You sign one in FA, because they do become available, and use the #2 pick on positions where stars don’t reach FA.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not #2 in the draft it isn’t. Not when star RTs get let go by their prior teams into FA, and get $5MM/year less than expected.

You sign one in FA, because they do become available, and use the #2 pick on positions where stars don’t reach FA.

Agreed - you don’t see top QBs ever hitting the open market. Fields is a no brainer pick

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Agreed - you don’t see top QBs ever hitting the open market. Fields is a no brainer pick

You can save up for a little extra cap room to ante up for a great FA lineman vs a mediocre one. You can’t save up a little for the #2 pick in the draft.

Add 2 FA interior linemen, who are most definitely available this year, and draft a RT who has to beat out Fant. Line is then as good as any team needs it to be. Also use one of the extra picks on another interior OL pick for depth and to possibly/hopefully push McGovern by next season if he doesn’t bounce back to form.

Using #2 on Fields seems better use than on positions that are available to every team in FA or the draft every offseason.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DJF71 said:

He chose a team with a talented roster over a 2-14 type of team.  Smart move.

My recollection is that JD didn’t make him an offer, not that Conklin chose Cleveland instead. Conklin was linked to the Jets, and expected to get an offer to sign here, from Feb right up to the day he signed with Cleveland. There were no stories/scoops that he turned us down, and the Jets were 7-9 heading into 2020 not 2-14.