Eric Bieniemy not interviewing well?

MTJ06

By that logic why is the Rooney rule needed in the first place? For every owner that will support Social Justice issues like Woody Johnson, you have racist ones like Donald Sterling. 

Yes it is 2021 but racism is alive and well. 
I totally agree .. I just think the Rooney Riule is past its expiration date and different approaches need to be considered.

Th iui s rule just seems to marginalize what its trying to protect.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 hours ago, QB1 said:

I find that odd considering he comes off well in media interviews 

Since he has never constructed a game plan because he doesn’t call plays, I can see that he’d come off unprepared for interviews 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Rooney rule is still needed and a good thing. Could a different rule be better? Maybe. But NFL is still a conservative, consensus culture. As candidates interview for GM, HC and coordinator positions, they interview for more. It’s like a snowball rolling downhill. Even if they don’t get the job, the fact they they were interviewed gets their name into the conversation for next cycle. It’s almost like they are pre-validated in a way. For example, I don’t think Aaron Glenn is seriously being considered for Jets job. I think the org is throwing him a bone to get him into the upcoming DC hiring conversation when new HCs look to fill their staff.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Since he has never constructed a game plan because he doesn’t call plays, I can see that he’d come off unprepared for interviews 

Wow I didn’t know you were part of the Chiefs coaching staff, that’s pretty cool. 

• WTF? 2

9 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

Report: Eric Bieniemy Struggled in Falcons Interview 

Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle brought up that Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy really struggled during his interview with the Falcons.

Wilson, a Texans reporter said on ‘The A-Team with Wexler & Clanton’ that the Texans have no interest in interviewing Bieniemy. He added that since they don’t want him, he doesn’t want them ?‍♂️.

Wilson said “I am going to be very transparent with you. Eric has not been interviewing well with the other teams and the Texans have not been interested in him through out the entire process.” He added “I’m told Mike Kafka has more to do with the development of Patrick Mahomes than Eric Bieniemy.”

“It has nothing to do with race or anything like that. It’s just these teams don’t want him. I heard about the Atlanta interview, they literally want to hire a Black coach. They would love for him to crush the interview. He did not crush the interview, and these teams care a lot about these interviews.” 

Wilson says the problem is not due to anything in Bieniemy’s past or something unknown to fans; it’s just been a matter of teams not being interested.

“He’s a good family man; he’s a good guy,” Wilson said. “He’s a good coach, but the teams have a right to hire whoever they want.”

Note: To touch on the Bieniemy story, This is not the first time we’ve heard this. And not the first interview cycle either. He’s been passed over by about ten teams in 3 years.

https://ustadium.com/p/716382

Sounds like a lead pipe sinch once the Johnson's  screw up the interview  process and have to default to a HC.

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

I've said this for a while and people refuse to put the
pieces together.  Bieniemy has been a "hot name" for the
past 2 years and we've never heard that he was a finalist
for any job.  He doesn't run KC offense and as stated in
the article Kafka is more connected to Mahomes development.
And now he doesn't interview well, so why would I hire him?

I would think he would be on a few potential coaches list to be OC if/when they get a job.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agreed. It almost seems more like someone is trying really hard to justify to a certain quarterback why the guy he wanted isn’t getting a fair shake... 

While it seems entirely possible Bienemy is interviewing poorly (not the first time we've heard that) this article, based on the source and timing very much feels like a statement to Watson's camp from Houston's front office.

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, The Gooch said:

Watson want's Bienemy in Houston!  Heard this yesterday!

Mahomes selling Watson on Biennemy probably is to protect Kafka from leaving and then becoming Mahomes offensive coordinator. Sounds like a classic bait and switch operationplaying cards GIF by Warner Archive

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I really don't like Bienemy as a Head Coach prospect but something about this article rubs me the wrong way. It's odd that a reporter would feel the need to say things like "it has nothing to do with Race" and that "they literally want to hire a black coach" and that "he's a good family man." Y

Is it odd? I mean it isn't like race is ever brought up as a reason for everything and anything in this country or anything like that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The guy has now had 12 interviews for head coaching vacancies, with a couple more to go.   Him not interviewing well is certainly a realistic probability.  

I would say highly likely probability. 

The one thing I would add though, its probably less to do with how he interviews in regards to having coherent conversations, leadership qualities etc and more to do with the fact that he probably quickly gets exposed for not being Andy Reid. 

I would almost bet that when away from Reid, he struggles with explaining the offense, breaking things down, coming up with his own ideas and game plans.

Unfortunately ESPN doesnt dive into critical analysis of things like that, they are too busy regurgitating the talking point that he is "the hot candidate" simply because he stands next to Mahomes/Reid. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I would say highly likely probability. 

The one thing I would add though, its probably less to do with how he interviews in regards to having coherent conversations, leadership qualities etc and more to do with the fact that he probably quickly gets exposed for not being Andy Reid. 

I would almost bet that when away from Reid, he struggles with explaining the offense, breaking things down, coming up with his own ideas and game plans.

Unfortunately ESPN doesnt dive into critical analysis of things like that, they are too busy regurgitating the talking point that he is "the hot candidate" simply because he stands next to Mahomes/Reid. 

Biennemy was instructed to bring Andy Reid's play calling sheets for the past 3 seasons. He didn't do it and was cordially shown the door.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1

Houston ownership is old-school racist and this sounds like terrible spin. What qualifies as a “good interview” to these hillbillies is probably Joe Judge-style General MacArthur impressions.
Being serious ... what have they done that makes you categorize them as racist ... I'm not trying to be sly ... i have just not heard that before.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, QB1 said:

I find that odd considering he comes off well in media interviews 

because these interviews are downa nd dirty XsOs from GM, personell folks. He has never called plays, changed midstream gamescript, engineered last minute drives based on D schemes he figured out. He may be next ombardi but Jets at such low point they have to get this hire right so you cant hire a guy who never called a NFL play or was a college HC. Last time we did thta was Herm,,Herm worse cause he weasnt even a coordinator,,a DB coach,,wait, we are interviewing Aaron Glenn, same situation as Herm was.

Douglas better be careful before all good PROVEN I CAN AT LEAST CALL BIG BOY PLAYS candidates are gone,,'wrap up daboll, campbell asap...maybe martindale IF he has a killer proven OC that wants to leave current gig or just got fired recently when theier HC got whacked?

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Houston ownership is old-school racist and this sounds like terrible spin. What qualifies as a “good interview” to these hillbillies is probably Joe Judge-style General MacArthur impressions.

7 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Being serious ... what have they done that makes you categorize them as racist ... I'm not trying to be sly ... i have just not heard that before.

Texans player: McNair has track record of racially insensitive comments

October 28, 2017 06:38 PM,
Updated October 28, 2017 08:17 PM
  •  
  •  
  •  

Houston Texans tackle Duane Brown Isaiah J. Downing USA TODAY

HOUSTON

Houston Texans owner and University of South Carolina alum Bob McNair has a questionable history of racially insensitive comments, according to one of his players.

During an interview with Pro Football Talk, Texans tackle Duane Brown pointed out two instances from the past where McNair made potentially controversial comments on racially-sensitive issues.

McNair is currently under fire after his comments referring to NFL players as “inmates” became public, according to multiple reports.

McNair said “we can’t have the inmates running the prison” during a meeting of NFL owners about players who protest by kneeling during the national anthem, according to an ESPN report.

On Friday, Brown said “he’s not surprised by,” McNair’s “inmates” comment.

Brown’s interview with profootballtalk.nbcsports.com came before McNair addressed Texans players about his “inmates comment” Saturday.
Although McNair has issued two public apologies, Brown said the owner has a track record of making comments on racial issues that might not be popular or well received.
Brown recalled one comment McNair made following the 2008 election of former President Barack Obama. He also pointed to another McNair comment in 2014, when former Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling was banned from the NBA for making racist comments.

“He came to talk to the team,” Brown told profootballtalk.nbcsports.com about McNair, following Obama’s first election. “He was visibly upset about it. He said, ‘I know a lot of y’all are happy right now, but it’s not the outcome that some of us were looking for.’ That was very shocking to me.”

After the Sterling scandal, Brown said McNair addressed the team again.

“The message was more to be careful who you have private conversations with, because things that you think are confidential can spread like wildfire,” Brown said to profootballtalk.nbcsports.com. “In my mind, it would probably have been better if he said ‘don’t be a racist’ instead of ‘be a racist in private and make sure it doesn’t get out.’ 

Friday, in response to the “inmates” comment, Brown told reporters he was “sickened” by McNair’s words.

“I think the comments were disrespectful, I think it was ignorant, I think it was embarrassing,” Brown said. “I think it angered a lot of players, including myself. We put our bodies and minds every time we step on the field. To use an analogy of inmates in a prison, I would say they’re disrespectful.”
The Texans had no comment on the quotes attributed by Brown to McNair, according to profootballtalk.nbcsports.com.

It would be fair to characterize Brown’s relationship with McNair as uneasy.

Brown returned to the team Monday after his season-long holdout over a contract dispute. The three-time Pro Bowl selection missed six games while holding out for a new deal from the Texans, which he did not receive.

Brown was also one of the NFL players to protest during the playing of the national anthem last season, raising a fist at the end of its playing before one game last season. Brown was the only Texans player to protest in 2016.

He told profootballtalk.nbcsports.com that, after the protest, McNair “didn’t have anything to say to me.”

McNair is an ardent supporter of President Donald Trump, who is a fierce critic of players kneeling during the anthem, and offered his solution to the issue during a recent visit to South Carolina.

In 2016, McNair donated $4.5 million to Trump and out of all of the NFL owners McNair was the biggest donor to Trump, according to texasmonthly.com.

Several prominent former South Carolina and Clemson players are on the Texans’ roster. Former Gamecocks include Jadeveon Clowney, Jonathan Joseph and Bruce Ellington, while Houston’s offense is led by former Tigers Deshaun Watson and Deandre Hopkins. Fellow Clemson alums D.J. Reader, Carlos Watkins and Marcus Gilchrist are also on the Texans.

• Haha 1

I think people hear "he did not interview well" and immediately assume that means something is wrong with the guys character. False. 

Bieniemy does have a few skeletons in his closet, but that's not the problem. He's a good guy and people like his personality, but he doesn't display the qualities needed to be a head coach. He's doesn't articulate his vision well, doesn't provide detailed ideas how he would coach/scheme for specific players, gives unimpressive scouting reports, and doesn't have a clear agenda. He's a "CEO-style" candidate who lacks CEO qualities; a figurehead. 

It sucks for him because the PR people want him to get jobs so badly, but he's just not qualified. 

I have thought since last year that what will ultimately happen is he won't get hired, he'll go somewhere else and be an OC, and if he can prove himself on his own then teams may be more willing to minimize the interview process. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2021 at 1:14 AM, New York Mick said:

It’s because a bunch of people including on here are saying he’s not being hired because he’s black but as you said the only color owners care about is green. If they think someone will help them win and make money they’re getting hired. It has zero to do with race. 

100% agree Mick. Al Davis said it best....... "  Just win baby" . That's all that matters.