Eric Bieniemy wants to be Jets' next head coach?

doitny

Eric Bieniemy wants to be Jets' next head coach? (msn.com)

It seems highly likely that Eric Bieniemy will land a head-coaching job this offseason, but it’s not clear which one.

Eric Bieniemy wearing a blue shirt: It may be that Eric Bieniemy likes Sam Darnold, or perhaps has ideas on how to work with Justin Fields, another potentially high draft pick.© Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports It may be that Eric Bieniemy likes Sam Darnold, or perhaps has ideas on how to work with Justin Fields, another potentially high draft pick.

WEEI’s Christian Fauria indicated that he knows the answer. On Friday, he told SportsRadio 610 in Houston that the Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator wants nothing to do with the Houston Texans job, and instead wants to coach the New York Jets.

“He’s going to be the next head coach of the New York Jets,” Fauria said. “I’m hearing that Eric Bieniemy wants to be and is going to be the next head coach of the New York Jets.”

The Jets being a destination may be something of a surprise. They have not won recently; there are questions about how invested ownership is, and a pair of late wins likely denied Gang Green the chance to draft Trevor Lawrence. It may be that Bieniemy likes Sam Darnold, or perhaps has ideas on how to work with Justin Fields, another potentially high draft pick.

One thing is certain: Fauria seems right about the Texans being out, with the feeling possibly being mutual.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I lack faith or confidence in Bienemy.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

What has he done, what has he produced, what has he managed/CEO'd, that warrants him being hired, specifically?

Win a Super Bowl as a coordinator, coach a QB to an MVP/best player in the game - 10x better resume then any coordinating candidate. 

There are also tons of examples of Bieniemy not taking sh*t from big ego high profile players.  Look into his work in Minn. during their NFC Champ game run, the whole offense credits Bieniemy with being the guy that held that team together. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Win a Super Bowl as a coordinator

Except he doesn't "coordinate" the Chiefs Offense, Andy Reid does. 

Reid designs the system, Reid calls the plays, Reid is the primary Coach of the Chiefs offense.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

, coach a QB to an MVP/best player in the game

Like Gase "coached" Peyton Manning to his "best season"?

I think it's debatable who gets "credit" for Mahomes.  Is it Reid?  Is it Mahomes himself (crazy talented)?  Is it Chiefs QB Coach Mike Kafka, who directly coaches Mahomes?

Or is it Bienemy, who "coordinates" the Offense that Reid designs and playcalls and runs, and who does not Coach the Elite QB directly?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

- 10x better resume then any coordinating candidate.

That's quite debatable.  

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

There are also tons of examples of Bieniemy not taking sh*t from big ego high profile players.  Look into his work in Minn. during their NFC Champ game run, the whole offense credits Bieniemy with being the guy that held that team together. 

So he'll be a disciplinarian-type Coach.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t hate Bieniemy as a candidate but there are legitimate reasons for concern.

Andy Reid was born with a play call sheet in his hand and is the main catalyst of that offense. Always has been dating back to his tenure in Philly.

Mike Kafka, not Bieniemy, is the guy you always see sitting next to Mahomes on the bench and going over plays.

People point to Doug Pederson and Matt Nagy as major successes under Reid but both of them just came within a c**ts hair of being fired.

• Upvote 3

The way I see it is the majority of the forum, fan base and media all seem to have unwavering faith in Joe Douglas, (I don’t personally) which is ok. 

BUT

If this is the hire he decides, I don’t see why it should be a problem for all the Joe Douglas believers. It’s soo ass backwards it’s comical ?

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why is Eric Bieniemy a puppet to Andy Ried but Arthur Smith and Brian Daboll arent puppets to their Head Coach?  

Hmmmmm

I know why but you know...

Because Vrable & McDermott are defensive guys & call defense. Arthur Smith & Brian Daboll have full control of the offense. They have personally called offensive plays in situations where you need the experience of an actual offensive play caller to make a solid decision. Andy Reid shoulders that responsibility in KC. That is the difference.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You’re not wrong. I really don’t want him either. I do want Watson though. Strongly.

Well Bienemy could make Watson interested in coming here because he said he wanted him to coach in Houston and I don't think they want him!

• Thumb Down 3

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Because Vrable & McDermott are defensive guys & call defense. Arthur Smith & Brian Daboll have full control of the offense. They have personally called offensive plays in situations where you need the experience of an actual offensive play caller to make a solid decision. Andy Reid shoulders that responsibility in KC. That is the difference.

Same difference between Loggains and Williams.

Williams ran the Jets Defense, for better or worse.

Gase, not Loggains, ran the Jets Offense.  For better or worse.

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Win a Super Bowl as a coordinator, coach a QB to an MVP/best player in the game - 10x better resume then any coordinating candidate. 

isn't that like gase's resume?  not sold on bienienemy because i think he's too linked to reid.  it's hard to say from a fans perspective since we don't know the inner workings of the nfl.  he might be perfectly fine but not because a patsie shill like fauria says.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why is Eric Bieniemy a puppet to Andy Ried but Arthur Smith and Brian Daboll arent puppets to their Head Coach?  

Hmmmmm

Pretty simple really. Daboll created the offense and built it around Josh Allen’s strengths. As a result he has improved every year. 

I was an agnostic on this Guy-- but I resent him or others using the media to try and force the Jets hand to hire a person whom they may not believe is the best person for the job!

Leaking you want the job is OK but I don't like that folks are leaking the Jets have decided on him. If this is the Jets choice alright, he is NOT MY FIRST CHOICE!!!

Most don't want him here for real reasons and it is silly that that the Jets should be forced to prematurely anoint him as the HC!

I want Matt Campbell for the record....

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

Where would one find this? When I search his name, I mostly get him trying to be a HC for several years and scandal reports. If you could link, would much appreciate! 

I know theres like one or two articles of Reid and Mahommes that was posted here supporting him but meh, I can't take it seriously when all they're saying is "he does important things and he's 'involved' with playcalling etc" being all vague.

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Except he doesn't "coordinate" the Chiefs Offense, Andy Reid does. 

Reid designs the system, Reid calls the plays, Reid is the primary Coach of the Chiefs offense.

Like Gase "coached" Peyton Manning to his "best season"?

I think it's debatable who gets "credit" for Mahomes.  Is it Reid?  Is it Mahomes himself (crazy talented)?  Is it Chiefs QB Coach Mike Kafka, who directly coaches Mahomes?

Or is it Bienemy, who "coordinates" the Offense that Reid designs and playcalls and runs, and who does not Coach the Elite QB directly?

That's quite debatable.  

So he'll be a disciplinarian-type Coach.  

Why did you ask the question if you already have all the answers?

He has the same role as Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson did under Ried.  He's the offensive coordinator, meaning, he coordinates the offense.  Like most coaching relationships, there is a collaborative effort.  Bieniemy takes an active part in designing plays, he runs the offense meetings, he creating a game plan and calls plays in congruence with Ried.  This has been confirmed by sources, everywhere.  He's the coordinator, just just a coffee boy.

I dont think his resume is debatable at all; what have Smith and Daboll done?  lol  Nothing compared to Bieniemy.  And I have no idea what type of coach he will be, nobody will, expect for you apparently, even though you asked the question. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You’re not wrong. I really don’t want him either. I do want Watson though. Strongly.

I would go crazy hearing we traded our pick at #2, one of our 3rds, and next years #1 for Deshaun Watson!!!!

Totally worth it! We’d still have Seattle #1, #35, Seattle’s 1 next year! 
Free agent WRs would play here knowing Watsons throwing to them, Allen Robinson? 
It’s certainly not crazy! 
Houston needs a total reset, they have no picks, they have no money, the roster is old (JJ Watt, Mercilus, Jackson), their starting Franchise QB is really unhappy, and they are similar to the Jets when coaches wanted nothing to do with them! 
They are LAST on the list with Detroit as the least attractive jobs in the NFL! 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fair enough but Bieniemy has been in OC where he was in charge in the past and I dont think this distinction makes them better.  You dont know how much input Vrabel and McDermott have and you dont know how they make the decisions either. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Pretty simple really. Daboll created the offense and built it around Josh Allen’s strengths. As a result he has improved every year. 

Fair enough, it's funny how a few months ago we were all laughing at the Bills and Allen and their offense.  Really impressive turnaround, if that's Daboll and not Allen just figuring it out with better talent around him, right on. 

Considering the stuff coming out about him not interviewing well and a number of teams not being interested in him, I would say chances are one of the Johnsons are going to throw him a blank check. 

I think EB comes down to who is really doing this hiring. If its JD, he has been around the league enough and has enough inside connections to know what's really up with him. If the negative about EB are true, Douglas will know and pass on him. 

If the Johnsons are running the show, they will go with the "hot name" on ESPN and think that it will protect them from criticism. 

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why did you ask the question if you already have all the answers?

I don't have all the answers.  If anything I wrote is factually inaccurate, folks can point that out.  Happy to learn something I didn't know.

He has the same role as Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson did under Ried.

I'm not a Nagy or Pederson fan, so ok.  He had the same job as two guys I wouldn't hire.  

He's the offensive coordinator, meaning, he coordinates the offense.

Does he design the plays and schemes?  Does he call the plays?  My understanding is he does neither.

Like most coaching relationships, there is a collaborative effort.  Bieniemy takes an active part in designing plays, he runs the offense meetings, he creating a game plan and calls plays in congruence with Ried.  This has been confirmed by sources, everywhere.  He's the coordinator, just just a coffee boy.

So let me ask, of all the people responsible for Mahomes and the Chiefs, where do you rank Bieniemy?

Reid, Bienemy, Kaflka, Mahomes himself.  Of these four, where do you rank Bieniemy in terms of responsibility for their success on Offense?

I dont think his resume is debatable at all; what have Smith and Daboll done?  lol  Nothing compared to Bieniemy.  And I have no idea what type of coach he will be, nobody will, expect for you apparently, even though you asked the question. 

Why do you seem to be so angry over this?  Can we not ask questions and talk about a guy?  For someone who "doesn't know", you're reading here like a far angrier SAR with Gase, like you've already long-ago decided Bienemy is the best choice and you're pissed off anyone might disagree.

No stress if you like the guy, but I don't as yet.  I don't see him as the primary reason the Chiefs O was great, in the same way I never saw Gase as the reason the Denver O was what it was when he was there.  I don't see him as a CEO type, who could manage a D-Co and O-Co equally, he has no real history with D at all, like Gase.  And I don't think he's why the Chiefs O is good, I'd rate all three (Reid, Mahones himself, and Kafka) higher than Bieniemy, just given their roles and responsibilities.

I'd need to be convinced, and you're not very convincing, you just come across as angry. 

14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Where would one find this? When I search his name, I mostly get him trying to be a HC for several years and scandal reports. If you could link, would much appreciate! 

I know theres like one or two articles of Reid and Mahommes that was posted here supporting him but meh, I can't take it seriously when all they're saying is "he does important things and he's 'involved' with playcalling etc" being all vague.

Again, no different then what Nagy and Pederson were but I digress...

I cant remember where I saw it, but I saw behind the scene footage and he was just a really strong leader.  Knew how to interact with players, didnt take sh*t and got the best out of them, like I said, kept their ego's in check and held the team together.  

here is one article, I just found quickly:

https://www.twincities.com/2007/12/15/leader-of-the-backs-coach-eric-bieniemy-is-the-man-behind-the-minnesota-vikings-top-rated-rushing-attack/

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hmmmmm

So let's just put it out there rather than making backhanded implications: 

Do you believe the primary reason some of us have doubts about Beinemey is racism, that we're racist?  

• Upvote 1