The Dicks suck, but at least...

But at least they haven't told the NFL world that they will control the roster regardless of the GM or coach. Who would want to be in that situation past a paycheck and resume building?

“Last season, especially after Tom’s departure — he had the roster control so I kept the roster control,” Khan told reporters over a Zoom call on Monday. “ … The general manager candidates, I’ve been talking to them, [and told them] for the immediate future I’m going to keep the roster control. I want the coach to know that also.” https://www.yahoo.com/sports/top-nfl-headcoach-openings-a-team-owner-dropped-a-bomb-and-changed-rankings-this-week-012151705.html

21 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

But at least they haven't told the NFL world that they will control the roster regardless of the GM or coach. Who would want to be in that situation past a paycheck and resume building?

“Last season, especially after Tom’s departure — he had the roster control so I kept the roster control,” Khan told reporters over a Zoom call on Monday. “ … The general manager candidates, I’ve been talking to them, [and told them] for the immediate future I’m going to keep the roster control. I want the coach to know that also.” https://www.yahoo.com/sports/top-nfl-headcoach-openings-a-team-owner-dropped-a-bomb-and-changed-rankings-this-week-012151705.html

The only credit I'll give the owner is that he's putting this out there.  He's not hiding it.  He's making it known what the deal is and yes, that will eliminate a LOT of great candidates.  But once this guy does hire his puppet there won't be any misunderstandings or disagreements about how things work.

The real question is this, what kind of GM and HC candidates are willing to work under this guy?  Will the GM's role strictly be player research, management, recommendations with Khan approving everyone?  You might end up with an Idzik.  Then again, doesn't he already have Idzik???

tenor-34.gif.660244b9cb016ffb52b4dfa019a9e7b0.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The only credit I'll give the owner is that he's putting this out there.  He's not hiding it.  He's making it known what the deal is and yes, that will eliminate a LOT of great candidates.  But once this guy does hire his puppet there won't be any misunderstandings or disagreements about how things work.

That's a good point, and I'm happy that top candidates probably won't want to deal with that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

That's a good point, and I'm happy that top candidates probably won't want to deal with that.

Yup.

You'd have to imagine a guy like Urban Meyer sitting there saying, "Not only won't I have player control, but the GM above me won't have player control.  How many years might I have to wait for that if it's something I'm interested in?"

Then again, a first time NFL coach, even someone with Meyer's quals and street cred, shouldn't get NFL roster control right out of the gate.  

• Upvote 1

This is usually an awful thing for an owner to say and for sure a sign of doom.

However, if the Houston owner had roster control would he have traded Deandre hopkins for a basket of oranges?

If any of a dozen jets fans were in charge would mccagnan have drafted as awfully as he did?