***NFL Super Wildcard Weekend Game Threads***

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Okay, but the point is Brady still had a very good season and beat the Redskins in the WC round. Agreed though that the Bucs will likely lose to the Packers next week barring a complete meltdown by GB.

Ugh, that game is going to be The Battle of Two QBs Whose Faces I Hate; but I have to go GB and then hope GB gets eliminated after that. I cannot stand Aaron Rodgers but Tom Cheat persevering in the immediate sense is a million times worse. 

I always get a kick out of hearing them talk about the "history" of the Browns when referring to a team that, in the real world, proceeded to head to Baltimore.  No one seems to worry about crediting portions of the Colts history to the Ravens, nor Titans history to the Texans.  Yes, I know that is what was "agreed" upon, but still such a ridiculously weird game of make-believe.  As if that's something anyone really wants to be associated with in the first place.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I've always wanted JuJu myself. Kid is only what 23 years of age?!?

Either him or Allen Robinson. 

Heck with all this available salary cap space; go after and splash on both JD!

QB: Justin Fields (#2). 

RB: Najee Harris (Seattle). 

WR 1: Allen Robinson. 

WR 2: Denzel Mims. 

Slot: JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

WR 4: Terrace Marshall Jr (2nd round). 

WR 5: Jamison Crowder. 

Pass catching WR's. Everywhere. 

When you're #4 & #5 WR's are an LSU hopeful and Jamison Crowder? You just KNOW your QB is being developed the right way. 

LT: Becton. 

LG: Joe Thuney. 

Focus on the O-Line + TE throughout the rest of FA/Draft, and then use both of 2022 1st's on two O-Linman; and Justin Fields now has a KC Chiefs type of Mahomes situation with A+ offensive talent surrounding him. 

With Fields on a QB rookie contract?

I want to invest FA $ and high draft picks into BOTH WR/O-Line while featuring a freakish RB too. 

That’s a pretty sick roster upgrade, even if quite unrealistic.

One note of caution regarding the salary cap. Yes, the Jets have tons of money. But, they have a somewhat empty roster in many areas heading into next season with a ton of guys rolling off the books. They will need to consume some $$$ just to fill some vacancies with JAGs.

How many linebackers are under contract? How many wide receivers are under contract? How many cornerbacks are under contract for next year? No Marcus Maye, no Perriman, no Jordan Jenkins, no Hewitt, no Poole, etc.

My only point is that while the Jets have lots of money and they have flexibility because they are not anchored to a lot of guys, they have a ton of work to do and vacancies to fill.

44 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Go Ravens!

Bills are certainly the least unlikable of the division rivals, but still can't be rooting for any of the division against any teams but each other.

Not gonna lie but I wasn't upset that they beat the Colts this week.  They deserved to have their 25+ year playoff win drought snapped.

But, yeah, now I'm rooting for their demise.  Can't have them getting TOO far in the postseason....

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not gonna lie; I enjoyed the fact that there were 6 games in 2 days this weekend as opposed to the 4 under the old playoff system.

The NFL almost always gets everything wrong.  But this is actually one they seemed to have gotten right.  Good job, NFL.

While I kind of get your point from a sheer entertainment perspective, I still can't get past the idea of the complete lack of merit there will be for teams making the playoffs.  This year we've got the NFC sporting both 8-8 and 7-9 (nearly 6-10) playoff teams, which is absolutely ridiculous.  Now granted, I know the latter has nothing to do with the 7th seed, but that's an entirely different story.

Credit where it's due that at least in the AFC team records would seem to justify all those who made it this year, but history tells us that's a complete outlier, and odds are that far more often than not, there will be excessively mediocre teams undeservedly making their way into the playoffs, at the expense of the 2-seeds becoming largely equivalent to that of all other division winners not getting the 1.

Granted, as Jets fans I know I should perhaps be grateful that improves their odds a little at least, but still makes the regular season even less meaningful.  That is only worse for so few games the NFL has, and a playoff setup that leaves no room for error, yet has seen a laundry list of highly questionable calls influencing outcomes in recent years.  At a certain point you may as well just make the entire season one giant tournament for the Lombardi and leave it at that.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While I kind of get your point from a sheer entertainment perspective, I still can't get past the idea of the complete lack of merit there will be for teams making the playoffs.  This year we've got the NFC sporting both 8-8 and 7-9 (nearly 6-10) playoff teams, which is absolutely ridiculous.  Now granted, I know the latter has nothing to do with the 7th seed, but that's an entirely different story.

Credit where it's due that at least in the AFC team records would seem to justify all those who made it this year, but history tells us that's a complete outlier, and odds are that far more often than not, there will be excessively mediocre teams undeservedly making their way into the playoffs, at the expense of the 2-seeds becoming largely equivalent to that of all other division winners not getting the 1.

Granted, as Jets fans I know I should perhaps be grateful that improves their odds a little at least, but still makes the regular season even less meaningful.  That is only worse for so few games the NFL has, and a playoff setup that leaves no room for error, yet has seen a laundry list of highly questionable calls influencing outcomes in recent years.  At a certain point you may as well just make the entire season one giant tournament for the Lombardi and leave it at that.

I think one of the top selling points of the system is that you'll never again see an 11-5 team fail to make the playoffs, and a 10-6 team missing out will also be highly unlikely.  With there being a division winner getting in just about every year at 8-8 or worse, its hard to justify keeping a 10-win team out.  And rightly so.  

I'm OK with 1-2 mediocre teams getting in (whether by division or WC) to avoid a 10-win team missing out.  We were screwed on that in 2015, for instance.  

And when a season is only 16 games long and there are as many injuries as there are, I really don't think its such a bad thing to be more inclusive in that sense too.  The regular season wasn't really watered down due to this rule change, from what I could tell.  

4 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

QB Baker Mayfield on the offensive line situation tonight: "Michael (Dunn) got hurt and a guy named Blake who I literally introduced myself to before the game stepped up in the fourth quarter."

It's amazing that the Browns won this game, with all the adversity they faced this week.