Jets interviewed Joe Brady

choon328

14 hours ago, Bless you....Thank you said:

Why would you hire a kid to run a billion dollar corporation? lol 

It all depends on the organizational structure and support.  

When they HC reports directly to the Lucky Sperm Club and is equal with the GM, you need a better coach to balance that out.  

If JD or someone else is really the director of football operations, maybe Joe Brady can provide the direction and leadership required of the HC with JD’s backing, provided that he has excellent coordinators.  

The other Jetsy error, to require the HC to also be a full time coordinator, needs to be corrected.  

But capable younger guys like McVay and Kingsbury are making it work.  I think you either got it or you don’t.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

When they HC reports directly to the Lucky Sperm Club and is equal with the GM, you need a better coach to balance that out.  

If JD or someone else is really the director of football operations, maybe Joe Brady can provide the direction and leadership required of the HC with JD’s backing, provided that he has excellent coordinators.  

The other Jetsy error, to require the HC to also be a full time coordinator, needs to be corrected.  

But capable younger guys like McVay and Kingsbury are making it work.  I think you either got it or you don’t.  

And that is the bottom line. In my career I've had managers who have been in the business for 30 years and were horrible . I've also had managers much younger than me that were very effective. Age has nothing to do with it if they are qualified for the job. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, varjet said:

Is Kingsbury making it work?  He's went 5-11 and 8-8 and Cardinal fans general aren't big fans.  

But I do agree with the notion that age shouldn't be a determine factor.

28 minutes ago, Icer said:

He's as old as McVay was when he got his shot. This is where the league is going, take the shot and see what happens. Definitely better than a retread like Lewis

Agreed. 

My top choice was Campbell, but if we can't get a proven program builder then taking a shot at a young innovative coach is probably our next best bet. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is Kingsbury making it work?  He's went 5-11 and 8-8 and Cardinal fans general aren't big fans.  

But I do agree with the notion that age shouldn't be a determine factor.

I don’t get Klingsbury

When was he ever good

Tech was a huge step down with him compared to Leach and Tuberville

• Sympathy 1

I fully support Joe Brady because I think being a WR coach at some point really helps develop offensive game planning skills for today's more open game.  You understand what you are trying to accomplish with the receivers, and what you can adjust, and it can go a long way.  Totally arbitrary list:  

Urban Meyer (WR coach at Illinois State, Colorado State, Notre Dame)

Ryan Day (WR coach at Temple, Boston College, Temple)

Dabo Sweeny (WR coach Alabama, Clemson)

Mike Leach: (WR coach Valdosta State)

Lincoln Riley (WR coach Texas Tech)

Dan Mullen (WR coach Wagner, Columbia)

Chris Peterson (WR coach UC Davis, Oregon)- technically he stopped coaching now

Tom Herman (WR coach Texas Lutheran, Sam Houston State)

PJ Fleck (WR coach Northern Illinois, Rutgers, and Tampa Bay Bucs)

Gus Malzahn (WR coach Arkansas):  Fired, I'm just talking offensive schemes here

Mike Gundy (WR coach OK State, Maryland)

NFL:

Sean Payton: (WR coach Indiana State)

Kyle Shanahan: (WR coach Houston Texans)

Sean McVay (WR coach Florida Tuskers)

Frank Reich (WR coach Colts, Cardinals)

Matt LeFleur (WR coach Northern Michigan)

Mike Tomlin (WR coach VMI, Arkansas State)

Jon Gruden (WR coach Steelers, Packers)

Bill Belichick (WR coach Lions)

I'm not saying it's a must, but coaches that have been wide receiver coaches have shown to be able to implement offensive systems at a high level these days.  This doesn't mean that you need to be a WR coach to know how to adjust defenses (I believe Andy Reid was an OL coach) but I think it certainly can help these days.  That experience allows you to see the field through the receivers, and the nuances you need to beat the defender.  In a way, it's reverse engineering opportunities for the QB, which translates to better options for the offense.   

Again, just random musings, but I do like the fact that Brady has this experience, and he's shown to be very good at it as well.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I fully support Joe Brady because I think being a WR coach at some point really helps develop offensive game planning skills for today's more open game.  You understand what you are trying to accomplish with the receivers, and what you can adjust, and it can go a long way.  Totally arbitrary list:  

Urban Meyer (WR coach at Illinois State, Colorado State, Notre Dame)

Ryan Day (WR coach at Temple, Boston College, Temple)

Dabo Sweeny (WR coach Alabama, Clemson)

Mike Leach: (WR coach Valdosta State)

Lincoln Riley (WR coach Texas Tech)

Dan Mullen (WR coach Wagner, Columbia)

Chris Peterson (WR coach UC Davis, Oregon)- technically he stopped coaching now

Tom Herman (WR coach Texas Lutheran, Sam Houston State)

PJ Fleck (WR coach Northern Illinois, Rutgers, and Tampa Bay Bucs)

Gus Malzahn (WR coach Arkansas):  Fired, I'm just talking offensive schemes here

Mike Gundy (WR coach OK State, Maryland)

NFL:

Sean Payton: (WR coach Indiana State)

Kyle Shanahan: (WR coach Houston Texans)

Sean McVay (WR coach Florida Tuskers)

Frank Reich (WR coach Colts, Cardinals)

Matt LeFleur (WR coach Northern Michigan)

Mike Tomlin (WR coach VMI, Arkansas State)

Jon Gruden (WR coach Steelers, Packers)

Bill Belichick (WR coach Lions)

I'm not saying it's a must, but coaches that have been wide receiver coaches have shown to be able to implement offensive systems at a high level these days.  This doesn't mean that you need to be a WR coach to know how to adjust defenses (I believe Andy Reid was an OL coach) but I think it certainly can help these days.  That experience allows you to see the field through the receivers, and the nuances you need to beat the defender.  In a way, it's reverse engineering opportunities for the QB, which translates to better options for the offense.   

Again, just random musings, but I do like the fact that Brady has this experience, and he's shown to be very good at it as well.  

Great info and nice angle regarding WR coach experience

On 1/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, Drums said:

I like Brady and I think he would definitely get the most out of the QB, so I wouldn't hate the hire. However, I wonder if Rhule and Robby would advise against our franchise. And if they did, how much that would weigh on his decision. Either way, I don't think this is JD's first choice but it seems like JD will keep an open mind and I trust him. 

If he’s listening to RA about life advice, it’s probably better we don’t sign him anyway.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, QB1 said:

This guy just doesn’t seem to have the personality to lead an organization and create a culture. He might be a genius OC but will a veteran defensive tackle care what he has to say? 

If he’s rolling out an offense that can give us a lead or keep us in games, people will listen