Todd Bowles to interview with Lions

Thai Jet

4 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Good for him, he needs to put together a stronger staff this time to be successful.

Yup. Hopefully , if he gets a second chance, he'll do so. Especially on offense. Football is an emotional sport, just wish, for his sake,  the "Cigar Store Indian" showed some. Even a little. 

• Upvote 1

Bowles is a terrible head coach but if Saleh doesn't want the job or gets hired by someone else, no good proven coach wants that job. No assets, no cap money, aging QB that hasn't won anything, complete dumpster fire ? with very little chance of early success. 

Jets job with JD, 18 picks, 4 firsts, next 2 years, a tradable Darnold, 100 million is a solid B+ location with a chance. Detroit is a clear D- with most likely being a solid F when all is said & done. 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In our case Woody was always looking for the next Parcells.

Funny thing is that Tampa's defense was not that great yesterday. It was the WFT defense that cost them the game not their offense.

In fact, it was terrible. Let a nobody QB stay in the game well into the 4th quarter. At a complete loss why anyone would want Bowles as HC spare the Rooney rule.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In our case Woody was always looking for the next Parcells.

Funny thing is that Tampa's defense was not that great yesterday. It was the WFT defense that cost them the game not their offense.

Arians came out and said that "some of the younger defenders might have relaxed with Alex Smith out". Makes sense. I gave Washington ZERO chance without Alex Smith but Heinicke played a fearless game and almost pulled the upset.  All week Arians was saying "we're not playing a 7-9 team. We're playing a 4-1 Alex Smith team. Human nature to let up a bit with Smith out. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

As are many. Rex comes to mind. 

I agree except for Rex. I don't think he was all that good. His overload blitzes got figured out pretty quick. Take away his time with the Ravens who had a D full of HoF players and he hasn't much of a resume to look at. Here's an article looking a the numbers. Examining Rex Ryan’s Reputation

9 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Good/Great DC mediocre HC.

And it was shocking how much better mediocre was than rock bottom 

I'm convinced that a certain amount of the fans hated Bowles for non football reasons. Anyone who used the term 'cigar store Indian' knows who they are 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

And it was shocking how much better mediocre was than rock bottom 

I'm convinced that a certain amount of the fans hated Bowles for non football reasons. Anyone who used the term 'cigar store Indian' knows who they are 

Not shocking at all. One is average whereas the other is horrific. Average looks great when you're standing in the land of horrific. It's still average though.

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Good for him, he needs to put together a stronger staff this time to be successful.

This is the key.  Bowles is personally a very good coach!

The problem is that Bowles had the WORST staff in the NFL by far!  BY FAR!!

And a poor staff counts as far as you being a quality HC in the NFL and why Bowles had to go here.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lions love to hire overrated defensive coordinators. I mean, we do too, but damn, Detroit really loves it.

I think he's actually a pretty good dc.

Maybe he learned from his mistakes and will do a better job.  However, if i were him I'd stay away from Detroit.   No one succeeds there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

They're like the Jets of the NFC. 

Worse.

The Jets rise up every decade or so and win a playoff game.  The lions draft an exceptional talent every decade or so and run them into the ground until they hate football.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Good for Coach Bowles.  

While he certainly didn't work out here, I don't have any ill will towards him.  Good luck to him if he gets another opportunity.

Agree 100%

Ultimately, a lot of a coaches success depends on the GMs ability to bring in talent.   A good coach can squeeze a few extra wins out of a roster. 

Vince Lombardi doesn't win 8 games with this year's Jets roster.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I hope Bowles does well to further cement how bad Mac was at free agency and the draft during his Jets tenure. 

Think since Bowles left it has been reported that Mac never ONCE essentially consulted with Bowles about the draft.

Not Once!!!

Madness! 

Mac was one of the worst GMs in the NFL for the last twenty years!!!

• Upvote 2