Coors Light launches campaign to support Tom Flores' Hall of Fame bid

Jan 06, 2021 at 01:54 PM

raiders-shield-logo-400x400_v2

Raiders.com Staff

•  
  •  
  •  

flores-can-thumb-main

We're not breaking news saying this: It's long past time for Tom Flores to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

His résumé has been well-documented in this space and others, and the calls for his inclusion in Canton have come from across the country, from a brewery in his birthplace of Fresno to the halls of Congress.

Now, in a fun tie-in befitting the man they called "Iceman," Coors Light, a proud partner of the Raiders, is launching a campaign to support Flores' Hall of Fame inclusion.

In addition to spotlighting Flores' accomplishments, which include breaking barriers as the first Latino quarterback in league history and the first Latino head coach to win an NFL title, Coors Light will also feature Flores' likeness on limited-edition cans available exclusively in Las Vegas.

Fans can also show their support, explore rebates and join a petition to call for Flores' inclusion at CoorsLight.com/Iceman.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

HoF voting is erratic.  Some good guys get left out.  Klecko!!

Last thing I want is for corporate $ becoming a factor in the voting.  Whatever the weaknesses of the current system, this would be worse.  Players from large market teams would be far more likely to get corporate support than those from small markets.  How would that be?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, addage said:

HoF voting is erratic.  Some good guys get left out.  Klecko!!

Last thing I want is for corporate $ becoming a factor in the voting.  Whatever the weaknesses of the current system, this would be worse.  Players from large market teams would be far more likely to get corporate support than those from small markets.  How would that be?

True.  In a way, I think this could hurt as much as help his case because if they let him in next year, it will look like Coors influenced the vote.  And because they are an official sponsor of the Raiders, that would create a foul stench on the integrity of the HoF.  

https://www.raiders.com/news/molson-coors-named-an-official-beer-partner-of-the-las-vegas-raiders

If it works, then is next year about getting Cliff Branch in?  Or Lester Hayes?  Jack Tatum?  Are we going to have a campaign every year from Coors for a Raider?  Then every team will need their own corporate sponsor to push their guys.  It's fine if it's all for fun, but it isn't and in this case, I think the precedent would be beyond horrible.  Hence why I think this might be worse than if they did nothing.

Just now, Gibby said:

Mr Contrary at it again I see. You’re high if you honestly believe that.

He has been told “no” ten times.  That’s not a snub.  That’s a “no”.  Stop bringing it up.  

Klecko is beloved by his own fanbase and that’s all that matters.  He was never a player of national notoriety.  When Namath goes he’ll be #1 on the Jets hierarchy.  That shall suffice.  

SAR I

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

He has been told “no” ten times.  That’s not a snub.  That’s a “no”.  Stop bringing it up.  

Klecko is beloved by his own fanbase and that’s all that matters.  He was never a player of national notoriety.  When Namath goes he’ll be #1 on the Jets hierarchy.  That shall suffice.  

SAR I

giphy.gif

Flores is a borderline candidate but do we really need beer companies launching campaigns?

For me the Hall should only be for the absolute best of all time and that means playing/coaching at a high level consistently.  You can have down years here and there but you need to be consistently great.  Was he?  It's really close, he was in Oakland/LA but that Seattle run is what cost him a HOF spot.

The raiders were a great organization at the time and he did well with them but it ended poorly in LA and then he was bad in Seattle.

I always felt he'd eventually make it, I just don't like outside influences trying to determine HOFers.

12 hours ago, kelly said:

tom-flores-jim-plunkett-raiders-1981-ap.

and i think jim plunkett is the only qb to have won 2 SB's who is not in the hof. 

imho,.. both should be in there:beer: 

Plunkett was eli before eli. #1 overall pick, struggled early and had 2 great postseason runs.  The difference is plunkett was better in his runs and eli played longer.  Neither is a hall of famer, you don't become a hall of famer based on a couple of good weeks.  

20 hours ago, chirorob said:

I think he is the only coach to win 2 Super Bowls and not be in the HOF.

Nope

1. Coughlin
  2. Shanahan
  3. Seifert
  4. Technically Belichick, but he's still active and is a lock when eligible

Holmgren had a 2nd one shamefully robbed by officials & everyone outside Pittsburgh knows it. Still took 2 loser franchises to the SB. Plus was OC on 2 more SB champs, and his coaching tree generated 2 more SB winners in Reid & Gruden.

The Patriots/BB cheated Vermeil out of his 2nd as well. Like Holmgren, I think consideration should be given for taking 2 separate trainwreck/loser franchises to the SB in the first place. If he was a little younger he might have stuck around & done the same in KC, whose offense he turned from Schotty/Gunther's snoozefest into yet another greatest show on turf in 1 season, where it stayed until it was instantly destroyed by Herm. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Plunkett was eli before eli. #1 overall pick, struggled early and had 2 great postseason runs.  The difference is plunkett was better in his runs and eli played longer.  Neither is a hall of famer, you don't become a hall of famer based on a couple of good weeks.  

Can we put these two in a room and let them discuss 

its like the same broken record or routine 

?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

?

There should be a filter at the site-level that stops the terms "Klecko" and "Fame" in the same post.  It's what the veteran's committee has decided so it would be a nice show of consistency.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There should be a filter at the site-level that stops the terms "Klecko" and "Fame" in the same post.  It's what the veteran's committee has decided so it would be a nice show of consistency.

SAR I

Better yet, on that filters out "SAR I" and "Schtick" 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I really do enjoy @SAR I posts, but you can't take some of them too seriously.  He's very creative in backing his outlandish views and makes for great reading.

Thank you.

Wayne Chrebet was better at his position than Joe Klecko was at his and yet no one weeps Canton tears for Wayne Chrebet.  Time to move on from this Klecko nonsense.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

hqdefault.jpg

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Maybe take notes instead of hurling insults?  

Insults?

Where is the insult?  

Eli & Klecko the same debate

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope

1. Coughlin
  2. Shanahan
  3. Seifert
  4. Technically Belichick, but he's still active and is a lock when eligible

Holmgren had a 2nd one shamefully robbed by officials & everyone outside Pittsburgh knows it. Still took 2 loser franchises to the SB. Plus was OC on 2 more SB champs, and his coaching tree generated 2 more SB winners in Reid & Gruden.

The Patriots/BB cheated Vermeil out of his 2nd as well. Like Holmgren consideration should be given for taking 2 separate trainwreck/loser franchises to the SB in the first place. If he was a little younger he might have stuckmaround & done the same in KC, whose offense he turned from Schotty/Gunther's snoozefest into yet another greatest show on turf in 1 season, where it stayed until it was instantly destroyed by Herm. 

Yeah, once I thought about it I knew I was wrong.

I remember the Holmgren game.  If people don't believe games are fixed they should watch that one.

Vermeil should be in the HOF.   Took a crappy Eagle franchise, got them to the SB.   Took a crappy Rams franchise, got to 2 SB, winning one.   Took over the Chiefs and showed huge improvements.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Insults?

Where is the insult?  

Eli & Klecko the same debate

Eli and Klecko are not close to the same.  Joe was a great player, eli was not.  Joe made all pro teams in 6 different seasons including 2x 1st team and 1x 2nd team official all pro team.  Eli never even made an unofficial all pro team.

I think Joe is a borderline candidate but he has a much better resume than eli.

• Sympathy 1