How Jets will resolve Sam Darnold dilemma? Todd McShay has a hunch

Bronx

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't know. The people in the know seem to really think that the Jets are passing on a QB at #2 and that Darnold is coming back. 

It could all be a smokescreen, but I have already prepared myself emotionally for year 4 of Sam. 

I agree, it seems to be trending that way which is concerning.

It's a huge risk to be in this position (2nd overall) and not take a QB -- the likelihood that Sam ever plays well just seems very low at this point.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I agree, it seems to be trending that way which is concerning.

It's a huge risk to be in this position (2nd overall) and not take a QB -- the likelihood that Sam ever plays well just seems very low at this point.

In preparation for year 4 of Sam, I have been trying to listen to every pro Sam argument that I can find. Maybe he will shine in the Shanahan offense, maybe he will shine with stud WRs, etc. But I just don't buy it. I just don't believe in him and it's depressing. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Preach. 

I'm sure they would bring in someone. It would be absurd not to. 

My thing is why bring in someone to compete with Darnold who couldn’t beat out the thought of Trevor Lawrence, when we could have a fresh contract rookie, developing behind a vet. But more importantly the new coach wouldn’t be burdened by Darnold and his short rope.

Gives everyone a needed reset

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

My thing is why bring in someone to compete with Darnold who couldn’t beat out the thought of Trevor Lawrence, when we could have a fresh contract rookie, developing behind a vet. But more importantly the new coach wouldn’t be burdened by Darnold and his short rope.

Gives everyone a needed reset

Right - I think burdening a new coach with a 4th year reclamation project at QB is the not the right way to start a new era. I also think Sam's best chance to develop into a good QB is to get a fresh start with another organization. Moving on is a win-win, IMO. 

If Sam is the starting QB on opening day next year, the pressure on him will be immense. This also puts a lot of pressure on the coaching staff right away. It's just not the right way to go, IMO. 

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

In preparation for year 4 of Sam, I have been trying to listen to every pro Sam argument that I can find. Maybe he will shine in the Shanahan offense, maybe he will shine with stud WRs, etc. But I just don't buy it. I just don't believe in him and it's depressing. 

Funny you say this, I posed this earlier elsewhere but I think this very thing might be his down fall: 

“I have a small insight into this, basically from what I  understand after listening to a lot of Bay Area beat writer’s and media for the last couple of days, is if we hire Robert Salah or any other HC who plans on bringing the 49ers offensive system a vet QB who already knows the system would be ideal.

Many of them are predicting the jets will draft a QB at 2 and sign a vet who knows the system already.

They also have been tossing around the possibility of a Jimmy G, Sam Darnold swap because he’s a vet who knows the system, wouldn’t be all that expensive and could be trade bait for the NYJ, if he plays well next season. 

I personally took this as the way Joe Douglas may already be leaning with the QB situation(Not including theJimmy G trade) 

I could be wrong though 

here’s a article from today about the topic: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/head-coach-hires-could-initiate-002657176.html “ 

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Funny you say this, I posed this earlier elsewhere but I think this very thing might be his down fall: 

“I have a small insight into this, basically from what I  understand after listening to a lot of Bay Area beat writer’s and media for the last couple of days, is if we hire Robert Salah or any other HC who plans on bringing the 49ers offensive system a vet QB who already knows the system would be ideal.

Many of them are predicting the jets will draft a QB at 2 and sign a vet who knows the system already.

They also have been tossing around the possibility of a Jimmy G, Sam Darnold swap because he’s a vet who knows the system, wouldn’t be all that expensive and could be trade bait for the NYJ, if he plays well next season. 

I personally took this as the way Joe Douglas may already be leaning with the QB situation(Not including theJimmy G trade) 

I could be wrong though 

here’s a article from today about the topic: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/head-coach-hires-could-initiate-002657176.html “ 

Interesting 

The draft can’t come soon enough 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting 

The draft can’t come soon enough 

I’m sorry Lol.. 

check this out too from today, goto 25:30  he’s asked what would be a dream fit for a player in this years draft and he said Justin Fields in the 49ers system ? check it out: 

If you keep listening at 28:09 they speak on the Jets drafting Sewell and their opinions 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Fair point. 

I think the opposite is also true though - If you pass on a QB and he turns into a stud, you are in trouble. 

Basically, you have to be right. 

Like taking Trubisky and passing on Watson and Mahomes?  

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Right - I think burdening a new coach with a 4th year reclamation project at QB is the not the right way to start a new era. I also think Sam's best chance to develop into a good QB is to get a fresh start with another organization. Moving on is a win-win, IMO. 

If Sam is the starting QB on opening day next year, the pressure on him will be immense. This also puts a lot of pressure on the coaching staff right away. It's just not the right way to go, IMO. 

Odds are Sam isn’t starting anywhere week 1 next year. He’ll either be traded at reclamation price to another team and watch and sit and need an injury or poor play from starter to get his shot ala Tannehill (who was 5x the QB Sam is after he left Miami) or whatever vet JD brings in will demolish him in camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Odds are Sam isn’t starting anywhere week 1 next year. He’ll either be traded at reclamation price to another team and watch and sit and need an injury or poor play from starter to get his shot ala Tannehill (who was 5x the QB Sam is after he left Miami) or whatever vet JD brings in will demolish him in camp.

I agree, what head coach would want darnold starting unless other guys are injured.  Darnold has a lot to prove to get a starting job again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 1/10/2021 at 1:57 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

Disaster scenario

Forcing Darnold on a rookie HC is NOT a good idea.  What happens when Darnold flops next year?  You have now traded out of a prime draft spot to take a QB and you are stuck with Darnold and his impending 25M contract the following year.  And you'd have JD entering his 4th year with NO QB.  This didn't end well for Macc for this very reason.  This is JD's turning point.  Hopefully, he rids himself of Darnold, who was not his pick and cements his role as GM with HIS QB. If you're going to win, have it be your guy. If you're gonna go down, go down on your own terms. 

• Upvote 2

I know fans want the QB, but they are going to make moves that are necessary to ensure stability and sustainable winning long into the future. The amount they can get for #2 is something astounding, and between Saleh, his staff, and all the talent they're about to bring in... doesn't really matter who the QB is; this will be a good football team. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I know fans want the QB, but they are going to make moves that are necessary to ensure stability and sustainable winning long into the future. The amount they can get for #2 is something astounding, and between Saleh, his staff, and all the talent they're about to bring in... doesn't really matter who the QB is; this will be a good football team. 

Any confirmation on it being LaFleur at OC?
Or, is it still open to possibly being McDaniels?

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Zero chance Salah took the job being burdened with a QB situation he didn't want.

10 hours ago, football guy said:

75 75 hut hut 73 hut hut hut

wc.jpg

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Great Post!