How Jets will resolve Sam Darnold dilemma? Todd McShay has a hunch

Bronx

15 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So ridiculous to point out 2 people with GM powers but one gets criticized for his bad moves universally but to criticize Joe Douglas it’s “absurd”. 

Yes Bill O’Brien is no longer employed but it’s an example 

You should really find some business ?

Come on Man.... :) 

O'Brien was the HC/GM and he personally RUINED Houston, RUINED THEM, and he certianly wasn't fired simply for making some "bad" moves!

Think he acquired Tunsil and WR Stills from Miami in exhange for TWO FIRST ROUND picks and a second rounder.  He also traded anyway superstar WR DeAndre Hopkins for a mediocre RB in David Johnson. And while he did ink Watson to a long term deal he created such a horrific situation that Watson a FQB wants to currently leave the team!

Get back to me when JD the GM has done anything close to this kind of damage to the Jets......

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I mean it’s easy to say “Keep Darnold” when it’s not your job or income at jeopardy.

I just can’t think of any logical reason why any coach or GM would hitch their wagon to a QB on such short rope. 

i feel this is more click bait for us low hanging fruit Jet fans. I mean they’ve been doing it all season with the tank BS, so why would they stop now? Especially being the offseason  

I think they feel most of the fan base are done with Darnold and this will draw clicks 

This is exactly right.  

He could be trying to increase his trade value - letting people think he's still high on him.

But NO WAY does he roll with Sam again when he has the #2 pick over all. 

If he comes back with Sam and Sam looks like he did this year, JD will be gone a year later.  Fans have been patient with the garbage he put on the field this year but won't be next year if he comes back with Sam.

With a rookie he gives himself a two year cushion.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, heymangold said:

Hiring Marvin Lewis would be a minuscule improvement over hiring Adam Gase.  It’s not a good move.  Not like it matters but hiring ML would have the majority of Jets fans angry.

Not necessarily. If he hires a good OC and DC and acts as the final say, that is a vast improvement over Gase. 

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Not necessarily. If he hires a good OC and DC and acts as the final say, that is a vast improvement over Gase. 

I’ll still pass on the guy that went 0-7 in the playoffs and was consistently in the news for players behaving badly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Icer said:

Matt Ryan has more good years of football left than Darnold and the Falcons are looking to dump him

Gotta love it, hope Todd is wrong

Was gonna say the same thing. So Atlanta will move on from Ryan and we’ll stick with Sam. Unreal.

• Sympathy 2

Hard to beleive that this report is true.  If JD believes in and wants to build around Darnold, then why did he do so little to help Sam last offseason.  Solid draft pick at 11, but he rolled the dice on a bunch of boom/bust prospects in FA.  And he did little to add to Darnold's WR corps.  Perriman to replace Robby was a downgrade.  I like Mims, but he was a 2nd round rookie and had little impact.  Time to commit to Darnold was last offseason, and we didn't do enough. 

I still think JD is hoping to send the message that he sees Sam as a starter to prop up trade value.  And then use #2 pick on Fields (or Wilson).

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hard to beleive that this report is true.  If JD believes in and wants to build around Darnold, then why did he do so little to help Sam last offseason.  Solid draft pick at 11, but he rolled the dice on a bunch of boom/bust prospects in FA.  And he did little to add to Darnold's WR corps.  Perriman to replace Robby was a downgrade.  I like Mims, but he was a 2nd round rookie and had little impact.  Time to commit to Darnold was last offseason, and we didn't do enough. 

I still think JD is hoping to send the message that he sees Sam as a starter to prop up trade value.  And then use #2 pick on Fields (or Wilson).

Sure seems JD was clearing the decks to move on. Sure if Darnold shocked the world and played well, that could’ve changed things. But he did not, thus plan intact.

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Sure seems JD was clearing the decks to move on. Sure if Darnold shocked the world and played well, that could’ve changed things. But he did not, thus plan intact.

Since you can never trust what these guys say publically this time of year, follow their actions.  Not words.  Unless and until the draft passes, and Darnold is still our QB1, I will not expect it to happen.

• Upvote 2

McShay mocked Jeudy to the Jets with Becton still on the board in his final 2020 mock draft.

McShay knows Douglas. But he could be throwing out smoke.

Daniel Jeremiah also knows Douglas. He had us taking Becton with all the WR still on the board but 3 OT off the board. He was high on Becton before a lot of analysis.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

McShay mocked Jeudy to the Jets with Becton still on the board in his final mock 2020 draft.

McShay knows Douglas. But he’s likely throwing out smoke.

Daniel Jeremiah also knows Douglas. He had us taking Becton with all the WR still on the board but 3 OT off the board. He was high on Becton before a lot of analysis.

Telling...

When Daniel was asked by Rich what he think the jets would do he said QB. He said no other player in his eyes beyond the QBs warranted that high of a pick including Sewell. Said Pitts was the only one he’d even consider 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Telling...

When Daniel was asked by Rich what he think the jets would do he said QB. He said no other player in his eyes beyond the QBs warranted that high of a pick including Sewell. Said Pitts was the only one he’d even consider 

And there it is. Plus QB is the logical pick.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

McShay mocked Jeudy to the Jets with Becton still on the board in his final 2020 mock draft.

McShay knows Douglas. But he could be throwing out smoke.

From a source I have, JD was high on Becton leading up to the draft. If Jeremiah is close with Douglas he'd know that, he'll be a good person to keep an eye on for info.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Telling...

Did DJ said who’s his QB #2? Assuming he has Lawrence #1.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I believe in no one until they show their mettle and results.  Right now?  JD is an unknown entity.   Up to him if he winds up as an ace or another Jet GM bust/dunce.

Yeah there are some things I like, some things he gets too much credit for, and more things that are terrible than the first two combined. That doesn't mean he'll be a bad GM; I think a lot of these guys second-guess prior decision-makers and forget about all the whiffs that didn't happen because they weren't calling the shots. So they get a shot and try to show how they're cleverer than the rest. 

It's risky to do that like anything else. Great when high risk moves pay off, but you look worse than anyone else when you go against the grain and flop.

I'm still openminded & hopeful, but too many people have been undeservedly gobbling all his goo already.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Did DJ said who’s his QB #2? Assuming he has Lawrence #1.

He said coming into the Clemson game he had Zach Wilson 2, Trey Lance and Justin tied but the Clemson game changed things and said if Justin has a good performance against Clemson that changes things in his eyes. 

He said his list comes out the 18th I think 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

@Jetsfan80, thoughts on when Douglas leaves Sam as the undisputed starter?

If this really ends up the end game, I'll be right there with you calling for his firing.  

I sincerely doubt this is how this plays out, however.  That would be Maccagnan levels of stupidity and, at bare minimum, no one could reasonably argue Douglas isn't exponentially better than the worst GM in NFL history thus far.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

If Joe sticks with Darnold and trades back, he has some guts. That’ll take a lot of courage and belief to stick with Darnold. I won’t lose my mind regardless of what he does. He hasn’t earned that level of hate. So I’ll trust him until I can’t.

Agreed.  I trust him whichever path he chooses.  If he wants a clean slate that’s fine but I also still believe in Sam so teasing back will certainly build this team quicker 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If this really ends up the end game, I'll be right there with you calling for his firing.  

I sincerely doubt this is how this plays out, however.  That would be Maccagnan levels of stupidity and, at bare minimum, no one could reasonably argue Douglas isn't exponentially better than the worst GM in NFL history thus far.

I'm just hoping that this "Jets should keep Darnold" stuff is all a smokescreen. 

THAT or they haven't come to the obvious conclusion yet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah there are some things I like, some things he gets too much credit for, and more things that are terrible than the first two combined. That doesn't mean he'll be a bad GM; I think a lot of these guys second-guess prior decision-makers and forget about all the whiffs that didn't happen because they weren't calling the shots. So they get a shot and try to show how they're cleverer than the rest. 

It's risky to do that like anything else. Great when high risk moves pay off, but you look worse than anyone else when you go against the grain and flop.

I'm still openminded & hopeful, but too many people have been undeservedly gobbling all his goo already.

I feel like a lot of the praise and positive opinions of Douglas, at leas in part, have to do with just how disastrously inept our GMs have been. After 2 seasons and 1 offseason, the fact that he hasnt already proved he is absolutely clueless is such a significant improvement over any GM of the past 10 years. Typically 1 year into a Jets GM, you're already 90% certain the Jets are destined for another rebuild. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Nick Blitz said:

Fred Savage No GIF by The Grinder

The involuntary physical response that happens the very second you think of a USC QB putting on a Jet jersey?  I’m thinking the second right after Sanchez was drafted too.

I thought the world of Darnold’s potential after seeing him have Aaron Rodgers and Watson beat in consecutive before the D blew it in the final drives in his Rookie season.  I don’t think he’s even half the QB his was then after his 3rd season.  

i think he is mentally damaged, mostly due to the Fraud Gase.  I think he is even physically damaged.  Not liking the way his arm looks anymore after his annual injury this season.

There are some nasty digs at him being somewhat of a simpleton and not a leader of men.  Defaults to laid back beach dude.

At this point just way too many scattered pieces  of him on the ground that need to be picked up and put back together.  This was his 2nd consecutive year of being the lowest rated passer in the NFL, meaning his second year was not an outlier.

Such high hopes after seeing that flash at the end of Year 1 when he was the Top Rated Passer in the NFL the final quarter of the season, playing with the usual garbage that surrounded him.  Also thinking of Tony Romo’s projection of his being the #1 QB in the whole league...quickly.

Time to grab the Ohio State QB and move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

I feel like a lot of the praise and positive opinions of Douglas, at leas in part, have to do with just how disastrously inept our GMs have been. After 2 seasons and 1 offseason, the fact that he hasnt already proved he is absolutely clueless is such a significant improvement over any GM of the past 10 years. Typically 1 year into a Jets GM, you're already 90% certain the Jets are destined for another rebuild. 

Again, people can hate on any Douglas FA move they want, but:

1) His first draft already has a chance to be better than any draft we've had since 07. 

2) He has leveraged his (very few) assets from a bad roster to attain more draft capital over the next two years than any Jets GM has since . . . Parcells?

edit: 07

• Upvote 1