How Jets will resolve Sam Darnold dilemma? Todd McShay has a hunch

Bronx

I guess McShay would have a better feel than most for how JD will proceed on Darnold in view of McShay knowing JD so well and being an "in the know" type of guy as to how players are viewed in NFL scouting circles. 

I think the more interesting aspect is Darnold's side. By any objective account, he has failed miserably and the next coach is a total unknown. Darnold's career on the precipice. Frankly, I would think his representatives would be pushing for a trade at this very moment. The goal would be to get Darnold into a situation where a team has spent capital on him because they believe in him, has a plan in place to "fix" him, and by virtue of trading for him has every reason to provide him with a clean slate and every opportunity to succeed.  The fact is that Darnold has a BETTER chance of saving his career elsewhere. So, the lack of any effort by his representatives to request a trade is puzzling. For those that believe this is occurring behind the scenes, once a GM picks up the phone to talk trade with another team, the cat is out of the bag and the media gets wind of it.

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I guess McShay would have a better feel than most for how JD will proceed on Darnold in view of McShay knowing JD so well and being an "in the know" type of guy as to how players are viewed in NFL scouting circles. 

I think the more interesting aspect is Darnold's side. By any objective account, he has failed miserably and the next coach is a total unknown. Darnold's career on the precipice. Frankly, I would think his representatives would be pushing for a trade at this very moment. The goal would be to get Darnold into a situation where a team has spent capital on him because they believe in him, has a plan in place to "fix" him, and by virtue of trading for him has every reason to provide him with a clean slate and every opportunity to succeed.  The fact is that Darnold has a BETTER chance of saving his career elsewhere. So, the lack of any effort by his representatives to request a trade is puzzling. For those that believe this is occurring behind the scenes, once a GM picks up the phone to talk trade with another team, the cat is out of the bag and the media gets wind of it.

Good post. If I was JD I'd probably take my chances to trade Darnold after the draft (or at least the first couple rounds). By then, teams will have unwrapped all their new presents and know what is not under the tree and may be willing to part with more if they're left without that shiny new QB they were hoping to snag.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good post. If I was JD I'd probably take my chances to trade Darnold after the draft (or at least the first couple rounds). By then, teams will have unwrapped all their new presents and know what is not under the tree and may be willing to part with more if they're left without that shiny new QB they were hoping to snag.

The problem with this is that once the Jets draft a QB, they will lose leverage in trade talks because if the talks are pre-draft JD can play the "we are torn between sticking with Sam or drafting a QB" ploy in negotiating in order to get better terms. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The problem with this is that once the Jets draft a QB, they will lose leverage in trade talks because if the talks are pre-draft JD can play the "we are torn between sticking with Sam or drafting a QB" ploy in negotiating in order to get better terms. 

Yes it's a risk either way. I think as soon as you make the first call, however, the cat's out of the bag that the Jets are moving on. My sense is before the draft you'll get lesser offers. Now, if the Jets are fielding trade-down scenarios then they absolutely cannot hint that they have decided to move on from Sam.

It's poker and I feel a lot better with JD behind the cards than Macc!

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You had me until the last sentence. After 1 year into Maccagnan I’d say it was more like 90% of Jets fans thought he was the goods. 

I stand corrected, you're right. Please correct me if I'm mistaken - Mac's first year he went on a spending spree with the money Idzik left him, right? That was exciting enough to get a lot of Jets fans thinking he was great. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2021 at 6:39 PM, MichaelScott said:

I stand corrected, you're right. Please correct me if I'm mistaken - Mac's first year he went on a spending spree with the money Idzik left him, right? That was exciting enough to get a lot of Jets fans thinking he was great. 

No correction needed. Many of us could see what he was doing and it was like pissing into the wind trying to explain to people that blowing through 2 years' worth of hoarded cap space on a QB-less team was moronic. Those contracts were all bad. All of them. But in year 1 of them you could make them all fit. Combine that with some crazy luck (timely opponents' key injuries, Fitz throwing about 20 would-be interceptions that defenders flat-out dropped, never playing in bad weather for our weak-armed QB, and more); and there you have your paper tiger who still missed the playoffs even with all that (and were a poor bet to continue at that luck-fueled win total in 2016).

But I'm not bitter or anything lol.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'm not a Sam fan but wilson is not the dude you take with a 2 pick 

He got beat up by coastal. The afc east would eat his lunch 

zach_man.png.819eba471b6919c3c4f8165f09c1960a.png

He does look like a camp counselor. 

I'll give you that. 

Yeah, I personally am a bit skeptical of him at 2. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

He does look like a camp counselor. 

I'll give you that. 

Yeah, I personally am a bit skeptical of him at 2. 

He looks like the kid working the desk at enterprise rental car at the airport. It's his first day mom's spaghetti.

I wish him luck. He's not a 2 overall athlete 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'm not a Sam fan but wilson is not the dude you take with a 2 pick 

He got beat up by coastal. The afc east would eat his lunch 

zach_man.png.819eba471b6919c3c4f8165f09c1960a.png

I know you dont like Wilson but lets not get carried away that coastal carolina "beat him up".

Coastal actually has a good defense and wilson had a decent game.  BYU needed a game winning drive and he completed a pass on the last play of the game that got them down to the 2 yard line.  Tough to put that loss on him.

These guys have good games and bad games and their supporting cast means a lot.

Josh Allen was 9-24 for 64 yards when his team played the only ranked opponent his last year.  He also threw for 131 yards in a loss to Boise State.  It happens

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I know you dont like Wilson but lets not get carried away that coastal carolina "beat him up".

Coastal actually has a good defense and wilson had a decent game.  BYU needed a game winning drive and he completed a pass on the last play of the game that got them down to the 2 yard line.  Tough to put that loss on him.

These guys have good games and bad games and their supporting cast means a lot.

Josh Allen was 9-24 for 64 yards when his team played the only ranked opponent his last year.  He also threw for 131 yards in a loss to Boise State.  It happens

People forget that the BYU/Coastal game was scheduled and agreed upon just 4 days prior to the game being played.   

As far as Wilson goes, his arm talent is certainly worth looking into.  As well as his injuries.  Hopefully teams have an opportunity to dissect these players pre draft so that a lot of these health issues can be put to rest.   

• Upvote 1

I dunno.  I'm torn.  

On one hand, I still believe in Sam and think this could be the opportunity to finally build something special around him.  Even if you trade down to 4 or 5 and pick up an early 2nd this year and another next year, you can take your elite franchise WR at 4/5, a top RB like Etienne with the SEA pick, and a OL and CB early 2nd.  Go out and spend big on one of the best veteran OL in UFA.  Suddenly lack of talent is no longer an excuse.

If Darnold still fails...fine.  Now you have two 1sts and two 2nds next year to find his replacement.  The positive of going this route though is that, whoever you bring in, they're not left to sink or swim on their own.  They'll have an actual foundation on offense around them.  Stud weapons at WR and RB as well as what should be a quality core on the OL.  From what I've seen there still appear to be some solid QB prospects set to enter the 2022 draft.  Just comes down to who we'll be in a position to draft, and/or whether or not the chips we have will be enough to move up for the one we want(if necessary).

I think the only way I wouldn't go the above route is if you are 100% convinced that either Fields or Wilson are legit elite, franchise QBs.  Zero doubt.  Otherwise, give Sam one more year and finally build this offense.

42 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I dunno.  I'm torn.  

On one hand, I still believe in Sam and think this could be the opportunity to finally build something special around him.  Even if you trade down to 4 or 5 and pick up an early 2nd this year and another next year, you can take your elite franchise WR at 4/5, a top RB like Etienne with the SEA pick, and a OL and CB early 2nd.  Go out and spend big on one of the best veteran OL in UFA.  Suddenly lack of talent is no longer an excuse.

If Darnold still fails...fine.  Now you have two 1sts and two 2nds next year to find his replacement.  The positive of going this route though is that, whoever you bring in, they're not left to sink or swim on their own.  They'll have an actual foundation on offense around them.  Stud weapons at WR and RB as well as what should be a quality core on the OL.  From what I've seen there still appear to be some solid QB prospects set to enter the 2022 draft.  Just comes down to who we'll be in a position to draft, and/or whether or not the chips we have will be enough to move up for the one we want(if necessary).

I think the only way I wouldn't go the above route is if you are 100% convinced that either Fields or Wilson are legit elite, franchise QBs.  Zero doubt.  Otherwise, give Sam one more year and finally build this offense.

Ugh, this again. #1 how can anyone believe in Sam -- who has proven through 40 games he's not a good NFL QB -- but doubt Fields, or any other top college prospect for that matter? Proven suck < maybe suck.

#2, why kick can down road? We have the #2 pick for the second time in our history. Now's the time you use it to find the QB. Not next year when the opportunity may not even be there to trade up or the cost could be ridiculous.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Rich Eisen's view on this. 

I can make up my decision about Sam and stick with it!  I know I have gone back and fotth about four times this week.  But you guys watch.  I will make up my decision and _____ with it.  Totally possible!  Bet you saps think I can do it!

Just now, jgb said:

Eisen basically sums up Jets fans here. "Sam Darnold is broken, but other teams will get in a bidding war over him."

i think there's enough ego on other teams to believe they can be the ones to 'fix' him and benefit.  right now, much of darnold's poor play is blamed on gase and the jets gms.  douglas would be wise to trade him now while he may have a somewhat high trade value because if he fails next season with a new HC and presumably better talent, he will be a day 3 pick trade value.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i think there's enough ego on other teams to believe they can be the ones to 'fix' him and benefit.  right now, much of darnold's poor play is blamed on gase and the jets gms.  douglas would be wise to trade him now while he may have a somewhat high trade value because if he fails next season with a new HC and presumably better talent, he will be a day 3 pick trade value.

Agree but at what price? Not as high as some hope/believe IMHO. 

And obviously they have to trade him now or never. Won't be on contract after next year.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree but at what price? Not as high as some hope/believe IMHO. 

And obviously they have to trade him now or never. Won't be on contract after next year.

my hunch is, best case scenario for the jets, they can get either 1) late 2nd from colts or steelers, or 2) 3rd round and conditional pick.  truth he's not worth more.