How Jets will resolve Sam Darnold dilemma? Todd McShay has a hunch

Bronx

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

my hunch is, best case scenario for the jets, they can get either 1) late 2nd from colts or steelers, or 2) 3rd round and conditional pick.  truth he's not worth more.

I also believe that's very close to likely max return.

Of course there's a small chance that JD will strike gold yet again and do what SEA did with Rick Mirer back in the day. Somehow they got a 1st from CHI for Mirer despite Mirer being even worse than Darnold. I hope JD can make a miracle.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

If Saleh is hired, is a trade down with San Fran more likely? 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds, plus Garropolo for the #2?

12th pick in round 1 and 2 this year

1st and 3rd in 2022

2nd and 3rd in 2023

plus Garropolo?

dude are you smoking crack? seriously?

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I also believe that's very close to likely max return.

Of course there's a small chance that JD will strike gold yet again and do what SEA did with Rick Mirer back in the day. Somehow they got a 1st from CHI for Mirer despite Mirer being even worse than Darnold. I hope JD can make a miracle.

the potentially great thing about this new jet era, is that the gm/hc/oc and owner are all on the same page, presumably.  the new HC/OC can actually have a real say in picking their qb, and the jets have major draft capital and flexibility to really revamp the offense.  and they don't have a dunce ala idzik as the gm.

i've never been sold on fields, i really like wilson's skill set.  i can't speak to his injury history, but the way he plays i believe that if his injury history is cleared by the jets, he will be the pick at 2 and be the opening day starter.  i don't care that he played at byu or the level of his competition, because his own teammates weren't great either.  you watch him play and he plays fast, he will get the ball out quick and can throw on the run.  seems to have the innate accuracy on the medium throws that darnold hasn't shown in 3 yrs.  

as for what they get for darnold, douglas will do the best he can and move on, as he did with adams.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is predicting the big 3 QBs(Fields,Wilson,Lance) after Lawrence stocks to soar going into the draft because of:

1.weak early predictions for the 2022 QB class 

2. The big 3 will blow away work outs and interviews by all early accounts

Now let’s say all this is true, being unbiased,

how could the NYJ justify passing on one of these guys when we have a the bottom ranked QB the past 3 seasons and is due a decision on a option of 25 million in may? 

imo it seems like career sucide to bank on Darnold hoping he outplays Fields, Wilson and Lance. A average Sam Darnold wouldn’t be enough to justify keeping Sam he would need that Josh Allen type of leap next year, which is slim at best. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Everyone is predicting the big 3 QBs(Fields,Wilson,Lance) after Lawrence stocks to soar going into the draft because of:

how could the NYJ justify passing on one of these guys when we have a the bottom ranked QB the past 3 seasons and is due a decision on a option of 25 million in may? 

imo it seems like career sucide to bank on Darnold hoping he outplays Fields, Wilson and Lance. A average Sam Darnold wouldn’t be enough to justify keeping Sam he would need that Josh Allen type of leap next year, which is slim at best. 

agree 100%. Darnold had his chance. We might not be picking in the top 12 (hopefully) for the next 4 or 5 years. Strike while the iron is hot

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Because people do not know how to properly compare a sunk cost v. an opportunity cost.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the potentially great thing about this new jet era, is that the gm/hc/oc and owner are all on the same page, presumably.  the new HC/OC can actually have a real say in picking their qb, and the jets have major draft capital and flexibility to really revamp the offense.  and they don't have a dunce ala idzik as the gm.

i've never been sold on fields, i really like wilson's skill set.  i can't speak to his injury history, but the way he plays i believe that if his injury history is cleared by the jets, he will be the pick at 2 and be the opening day starter.  i don't care that he played at byu or the level of his competition, because his own teammates weren't great either.  you watch him play and he plays fast, he will get the ball out quick and can throw on the run.  seems to have the innate accuracy on the medium throws that darnold hasn't shown in 3 yrs.  

as for what they get for darnold, douglas will do the best he can and move on, as he did with adams.

I don't have an informed decision on Fields v. Wilson. I do have a bias for QBs from bigger programmes so I'd go Fields but I fully acknowledge I could be dead wrong.

However, I already know Sam has performed at a NFL-worst level and has not shown to these eyes any glimmer of hidden greatness. I have seen no evidence of any elite trait(s) that will enable him to work around or compensate for his shortcomings. It's not an Allen situation who has wheels and a cannon arm. In the absence of any elite trait(s), for Darnold to become a good NFL QB, he will have to do everything at a satisfactory level and some things even better than that. That is a lot of stuff to work on. He doesn't need to be "fixed," he needs to be re-made. Very difficult.

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He does look like a camp counselor. 

I'll give you that. 

Yeah, I personally am a bit skeptical of him at 2. 

If he was playing in a golf shirt I would agree but since they play in pads not so much.... 

15050694-850x560.jpeg

zach-wilson-120320-getty-ftr_1tqfsvmrdcs

0d9f496568?resize=width_1200&type=jpg&c= 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

He's wrong though. As long as the organization can admit they made a mistake early and pivot, the fans will be fine. There are typically stopgaps available. The Jets have dug in on Sanchez, Geno and now seemingly Darnold (I was on record saying they should mov eon after year 1). All 3 of those guys you could tell stunk from the jump.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

All the GMs who drafted them were fired in case you missed it... 

Because they held on to their bust QB's for multiple seasons. Darnold was a bust year 1. The Jets have failed to recognize this with Darnold, Geno and Sanchez.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

"We dont need to draft Mahomes or Watson, we have Josh Mccown" - an actual NFL franchise.

And now people want to go into the fray again with Darnold, ostensibly because the Jets aren't good enough and it would be a 'waste' to get a franchise QB now. Yeah, because it's so easy to get one when you're "ready" (whatever that means).

Impossible to make this stuff up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Because they held on to their bust QB's for multiple seasons. Darnold was a bust year 1. The Jets have failed to recognize this with Darnold, Geno and Sanchez.

Imagine sticking with Darnold and passing on a QB round one and one of them becomes the next Herbert. Definitely a run out of town situation. Jet fans haven’t had a franchise QB since Namath 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I think it was more "We just drafted Hack and we want to pretend that he actually has a chance of not being the bust he obviously is."

See, another example. Just recognize when a guy sucks and move on. The Jets were giving Geno Smith a 3rd! season before getting punched. 3 seasons of Geno? Come on. A 4th season of Darnold who clearly blows will get Douglas fired anyways.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Imagine sticking with Darnold and passing on a QB round one and one of them becomes the next Herbert. Definitely a run out of town situation. Jet fans haven’t had a franchise QB since Namath 

Nah let's just make the team good first and then super easy to find one. I mean we must be due, right?!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

This is the great fear. And it just happened to us, so you can't blame us for being afraid of this. 

If Douglas passes on these guys - he better be right. That's all I'm saying. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Darnold isn’t going to be on the Jets next season. They “are” resetting the QB clock!

It’s just who really, Fields or Wilson?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

. A 4th season of Darnold who clearly blows will get Douglas fired anyways.

The argument seems to be that, if this happens, Douglas will just get to pick his QB in 2022 instead when the roster is better, but I tend to agree with you. If Darnold comes back here next season and sucks, Douglas takes a major, major hit. And if one of the QBs from this draft is another franchise guy, he loses his job. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Darnold isn’t going to be on the Jets next season. They “are” resetting the QB clock!

It’s just who really, Fields or Wilson?

I don't know. The people in the know seem to really think that the Jets are passing on a QB at #2 and that Darnold is coming back. 

It could all be a smokescreen, but I have already prepared myself emotionally for year 4 of Sam. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The argument seems to be that, if this happens, Douglas will just get to pick his QB in 2022 instead when the roster is better, but I tend to agree with you. If Darnold comes back here next season and sucks, Douglas takes a major, major hit. And if one of the QBs from this draft is another franchise guy, he loses his job. 

If Darnold does come back (not convinced) JD must, must, must bring in some legitimate vet competition. Everyone likes to talk about how our weapoinz have held Darnold back. Why is no one worried that the league-worst QB is holding back our weaopinz from developing? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

This is the great fear. And it just happened to us, so you can't blame us for being afraid of this. 

If Douglas passes on these guys - he better be right. That's all I'm saying. 

If he passes and has a solution that's fine with me. Darnold is not a solution. I dont love Fields or Wilson...but I'd rather they take a shot rather than go back to something that has no chance of working.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jgb said:

If Darnold does come back (not convinced) JD must, must, must bring in some legitimate vet competition. Everyone likes to talk about how our weapoinz have held Darnold back. Why is no one worried that the league-worst QB is holding back our weaopinz from developing? 

Preach. 

I'm sure they would bring in someone. It would be absurd not to. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Any legit competition would start over Darnold so if the plan is to bring Sammy back he's going to play without anyone in his way.

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Often where there’s smoke... I think Miami’s taking a QB at 3 if they can’t get Watson ?

They played Tua because they knew they werent winning a SB this year and wanted to confirm their mistake early. The Dolphins are making smart decisions.