Jump to content

How come Joe Brady is getting interviews but Greg Roman isn't?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So just so I'm clear. We told Rhule he couldn't pick his own coordinators. One year later, we want to interview the OC he hired in CAR. Did I get that right?

Hire Marvin Lewis, a proven coach and get this sh*t over with.

Serious question.  What has Joe Brady done? He got 3 players over 1,000 yards on a terrible team. Greg Roman has reinvented football.  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Serious question.  What has Joe Brady done? He got 3 players over 1,000 yards on a terrible team.

Greg Roman has reinvented football.

 

Still looking for that WTF button...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

So just so I'm clear.

We told Rhule he couldn't pick his own coordinators.

One year later, we want to interview the OC he hired in CAR.

Did I get that right?

Unreal.  Next thing you tell me we going to pass on some fqb for a safety

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

So just so I'm clear.

We told Rhule he couldn't pick his own coordinators.

One year later, we want to interview the OC he hired in CAR.

Did I get that right?

def get your point, but its a new gm.  maybe he told him that was a bad offer and the franchise regrets not having him on staff 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I haven't heard that anyone has requested Roman.

I just got a notification from the Jets app that they interviewed Eberflus this afternoon, didnt know he was contacted, just that it was planned.  Another coach who had to wait for his team to get through WC weekend.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I am not trying to make the case for Roman. I just don't see why everyone is all over a 31 year old O\C after one year in the league.  It scares me.

I don't think you have to worry about Brady taking over.

The Jets are inherently conservative, it has not shown itself to be the type of organization to risk upending a more traditional hire for a 31 year OC as head coach.

In his tenure starting June 7th, 2019 , Douglas has not shown himself to be any more of a risk taker than those that have what has gone before.  I'm guessing interviewing Joe Brady is primarily about due diligence and getting to known him for the next fire/hire cycle. Likewise, interviewing Aaron Glenn, I'm guessing is about doing a solid for a well-liked ex-Jet, helping him get some exposure for next year's hiring cycle.

I think Douglas's head coaching choice will not surprise, and may disappoint any fan looking for an exciting change in direction. A safe reliable leader type.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Well if Roman can coach up every QB to run for 150 yards and run a 4.4 40 then he is the guy.

Greg roman presided over the last rated passing offense in the league.

Funny Coincidence. The Jets could take a QB at 2 that runs a 4.45 and is a better passer than Lamar. 

Greg Roman has been around top 10 in the NFL in scoring offense just about everywhere he has been. Pairing him and Fields would be a slam dunk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Well if Roman can coach up every QB to run for 150 yards and run a 4.4 40 then he is the guy.

Greg roman presided over the last rated passing offense in the league.

He coached up Kaepernick along with Harbaugh 

 

As far as Lamar goes he has gotten everything out of him that he possibly can

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Paradis said:

I guess everyone interviewing Joe is confused and just needed you to point that out. Meanwhile the zero interviews that Roman is receiving is just oversight, by everyone. 

maybe, it has to do with more than playbooks. Phil. 

So what incredible CEO skills did Joe Brady show this season on the way to the 5-11 record?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I don't think you have to worry about Brady taking over.

The Jets are inherently conservative, it has not shown itself to be the type of organization to risk upending a more traditional hire for a 31 year OC as head coach.

In his tenure starting June 7th, 2019 , Douglas has not shown himself to be any more of a risk taker than those that have what has gone before.  I'm guessing interviewing Joe Brady is primarily about due diligence and getting to known him for the next fire/hire cycle. Likewise, interviewing Aaron Glenn, I'm guessing is about doing a solid for a well-liked ex-Jet, helping him get some exposure for next year's hiring cycle.

I think Douglas's head coaching choice will not surprise, and may disappoint any fan looking for an exciting change in direction. A safe reliable leader type.

 

One thing to remember, though, is JD's mentor hired a young, relatively unknown special teams coach years ago, and the Ravens have never looked back.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So what incredible CEO skills did Joe Brady show this season on the way to the 5-11 record?

lol how would I know. I’m not interviewing him. 

I think I heard them calling your name in the Baker doesn’t suck thread. Aka playoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I am not trying to make the case for Roman. I just don't see why everyone is all over a 31 year old O\C after one year in the league.  It scares me.

Well he is largely considered the reason behind Burrow's development. If so that is huge as we will likely need to develop a QB

He got a lot out of the offense in Carolina this year with a very mediocre QB and without McCaffrey 

You don't skyrocket through the ranks without being extremely good at your job, having good leadership and being respected highly by your players

Obviously in the interview process you see his plan on building structure, organization and culture as well as the staff he wants to hire.

If that plan is solid why wouldn't he be a leading candidate?

Contrast that to Daboll who has been exceedingly mediocre his entire career other than this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When has Roman ever orchestrated a respectable offense that wasn’t entirely based around a gimmicky, run first QB?

Kaep in San Fran, Tyrod in Buffalo, Lamar in Baltimore...

I think it’s been proven that he needs a very specific QB to make his offense go.

And neither Darnold nor any of the top QB’s in this class except maybe Lance fit the bill.

Dudes like Lawrence, Fields and Wilson are athletic but at the end of the day they still do their best work from the pocket.

I’ll always favor a more traditional offense over a scheme that is predicated around a bunch of smoke and mirrors and the need for a QB who possesses 4.4 speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • It is very early to comment on coaches who are being interviewed or not being interviewed.  We really don't know what is going on.
  • But, if you studied HCs who have been successful in the past, I think the young up-and-comers with strong leadership qualities seem to have better results than the older long-time coordinators.
    • So if someone like a Brady, Staley or even Saleh look like they "get it," you give them a shot.
    • See John Harbaugh, Sean McVay, Mike Tomlin, Brian Flores, Mike Vrabel, LeFleur, etc.  I am leaving out the college HCs.
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Well he is largely considered the reason behind Burrow's development. If so that is huge as we will likely need to develop a QB

He got a lot out of the offense in Carolina this year with a very mediocre QB and without McCaffrey 

You don't skyrocket through the ranks without being extremely good at your job, having good leadership and being respected highly by your players

Obviously in the interview process you see his plan on building structure, organization and culture as well as the staff he wants to hire.

If that plan is solid why wouldn't he be a leading candidate?

Contrast that to Daboll who has been exceedingly mediocre his entire career other than this year. 

This is a very good answer. Burrow did skyrocket, so if Brady is a big part why then that makes sense that he would get interviews.

I just find it funny how reactionary the league is. Everyone is looking for the next McVay and he hasn't won a Super Bowl himself yet. Honestly the Rams have a hot shot offensive head coach and they are winning because of their defense. Just kind of funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradis said:

lol how would I know. I’m not interviewing him. 

I think I heard them calling your name in the Baker doesn’t suck thread. Aka playoffs. 

Baker winning last night had to sting Philc1. He's so polarized when it comes to Baker Mayfield.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I love it when people swear by a guy who produced a good year or two.

I remember when Brian Schottenheimer had a top 10 offense with the Jets.

And I love it when guys swear by HC's like Cowher, Harbaugh because they won SB's many years ago, Hell even last year most of the Jets fans wanted Mike McCarthy because he was the "proven big name winner". The right answer is the guy who fits best in the current situation.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant understand how Roman ihow not been interviewed, doesnt seem to be  in the running or the front runner for that matter. Been listening to multiple podcast and YouTube commentary (Jets X Factor is excellent) on the candidates and I think either Wink or Greg Roman (leaning more towards Roman) from the Ravens makes the most sense. Just factoring in ability, experience, sustained productivity of the Ravens organization, and familiarity with Douglas, and especially how the Ravens seemed to adjust and overcome some offensive issues mid way through this season. It just seems to make the most sense. I cant see Douglas hiring his first HC without any connection to him like some of the college coaches mentioned,  Bienemy and Saleh. JMO

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as why people like Brady -- he's the super hot young guy who has been innovative. Spent a lot of time in NOLA with Sean Payton, then set the world on fire with LSU and made Joe Burrow. Had a strong first year back in the NFL.

Is he ready to be a NFL HC? We have no idea. Hiring him is an aggressive hire, an attempt to be ahead of the curve, to hire the next McVay. Who knows if it will work out, but yes it's obviously true that he lacks the experience.

What I do know -- he will definitely be hired by somebody in the next few years. Question is whether you want to gamble and hire him now.

Given everything Douglas has said about the process he seems like a long shot to me, but I could get behind it. It's a shoot the moon, all-in type hire, which isn't really something the Jets are known for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, fusionCA said:

Joe bready did great with LSU

Greg Roman build a game plan that can fit only with Lamar Jackson 

There is no other player like Lamar Jackson 

It will never work anywhere else 

Roman got to a Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick as his QB.

He also got Tyrod Taylor to play at, statistically, a top 10 level in 2015.

His career accomplishments are not solely tied to Lamar Jackson.  He's not my top choice among the candidates we've seen getting interviewed but he would not be a bad hire if it ended up being the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

QB DVOA rankings under Greg Roman (as OC, 2011-present):

  • 2011, SF - Alex Smith:  # 13
  • 2012, SF - Alex Smith:  # 9
  • 2012, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 3
  • 2013, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 7
  • 2014, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 28
  • 2015, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  # 8
  • 2016, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  N/A - scapegoated by Rex Ryan after 37-31 Week 2 loss to Jets
  • 2017, BAL - Joe Flacco:  N/A - Offensive Coordinator was Marty Mornhinweg
  • 2018, BAL - Joe Flacco:  # 16
  • 2019, BAL - Lamar Jackson:  # 2
  • 2020, BAL - Lamar Jackson:  ???  (won a playoff game)
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a very good answer. Burrow did skyrocket, so if Brady is a big part why then that makes sense that he would get interviews.

I just find it funny how reactionary the league is. Everyone is looking for the next McVay and he hasn't won a Super Bowl himself yet. Honestly the Rams have a hot shot offensive head coach and they are winning because of their defense. Just kind of funny.

True but I think part of the decline is due to cap problems that they had.

The Jets need to make sure that Brady was the main reason Burrow skyrocketed, you just cannot assume that.

It is being done with Daboll. He has been below average to this point and now that Allen is playing well it is because of Daboll? Not necessarily true. What if Dorsey is the reason? Or Palmer? Or Josh just had the lightbulb go off in his head. 

The tendency to give all the credit to the coordinator and then extrapolate that out to hiring him as a head coach is a slippery slope. 

As young as he is I am more comfortable with the path Brady is on with overachievement at all each level. HC is a big jump but you can evaluate his ability to lead and make that jump in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Roman got to a Super Bowl with Colin Kaepernick as his QB.

He also got Tyrod Taylor to play at, statistically, a top 10 level in 2015.

His career accomplishments are not solely tied to Lamar Jackson.  He's not my top choice among the candidates we've seen getting interviewed but he would not be a bad hire if it ended up being the case.

Thank you, this made the case better than I did in my first post.

I am also not endorsing for the Jets to hire Roman. Just saying the guy has changed the game. I would think that would hold more klout than being good at Madden online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I am not trying to make the case for Roman. I just don't see why everyone is all over a 31 year old O\C after one year in the league.  It scares me.

One year?  He was in New Orleans in 2017-18.  Sandwiched in between, he helped Joe Burrow have one of the greatest collegiate seasons in history and get picked # 1 overall when no casual fans knew who he was the year prior.  After he and Burrow left LSU the Tigers plummeted to a 5-5 record this past season.

Who cares about age.  He's innovative and that's what matters.  Besides, he's been coaching since 2013.  From the moment he got out of college he was coaching.  He's not inexperienced.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, johnnysd said:

True but I think part of the decline is due to cap problems that they had.

The Jets need to make sure that Brady was the main reason Burrow skyrocketed, you just cannot assume that.

It is being done with Daboll. He has been below average to this point and now that Allen is playing well it is because of Daboll? Not necessarily true. What if Dorsey is the reason? Or Palmer? Or Josh just had the lightbulb go off in his head. 

The tendency to give all the credit to the coordinator and then extrapolate that out to hiring him as a head coach is a slippery slope. 

As young as he is I am more comfortable with the path Brady is on with overachievement at all each level. HC is a big jump but you can evaluate his ability to lead and make that jump in the process.

Yes but their cap problems are due in large part to two huge contracts to offensive players, RB and QB. I would assume that he blessed those deals. And if you have an offensive genius why do you have to pay both a QB and RB top dollar?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

One year?  He was in New Orleans in 2017-18.  Sandwiched in between, he helped Joe Burrow have one of the greatest collegiate seasons in history and get picked # 1 overall when no casual fans knew who he was the year prior.

One year as a coordinator in the NFL.

Dude was coaching linebackers 6 years ago and with the Saints he wasn't a coordinator.

He is young. He is smart. He seems to be a brilliant offensive mind. 

I just think it is a HUGE (and scary) leap to think that this guy is ready to be a head coach for the first time in the NFL.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I don't think you have to worry about Brady taking over.

The Jets are inherently conservative, it has not shown itself to be the type of organization to risk upending a more traditional hire for a 31 year OC as head coach.

In his tenure starting June 7th, 2019 , Douglas has not shown himself to be any more of a risk taker than those that have what has gone before.  I'm guessing interviewing Joe Brady is primarily about due diligence and getting to known him for the next fire/hire cycle. Likewise, interviewing Aaron Glenn, I'm guessing is about doing a solid for a well-liked ex-Jet, helping him get some exposure for next year's hiring cycle.

I think Douglas's head coaching choice will not surprise, and may disappoint any fan looking for an exciting change in direction. A safe reliable leader type.

 

@Mogglez has suggested otherwise.  Joe Douglas is calling the shots on this hire and everything is trending towards a more "outside the box" hire than what the Jets usually do.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

One year as a coordinator in the NFL.

Dude was coaching linebackers 6 years ago and with the Saints he wasn't a coordinator.

He is young. He is smart. He seems to be a brilliant offensive mind. 

I just think it is a HUGE (and scary) leap to think that this guy is ready to be a head coach for the first time in the NFL.

Sean McVay was 1 year younger when he was hired by the Rams.

I'm not scared at all.  We've had plenty of "experienced" coaches lately, including one with NFL HC experience, and they all failed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...