How come Joe Brady is getting interviews but Greg Roman isn't?

Maxman

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Sean McVay was the same age when he was hired by the Rams.

I'm not scared at all.  We've had plenty of "experienced" coaches lately and they all failed.

This is my exact point, everyone is replicating a plan with McVay that hasn't proven anything yet.

McVay is the offensive guru in the league and he is winning because they have an amazing defense.

Joe Brady scares me as a candidate for this current Jets team, but he won't be hired here so it is a non issue. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

@Mogglez has suggested otherwise.  Joe Douglas is calling the shots on this hire and everything is trending towards a more "outside the box" hire than what the Jets usually do.  

Its Saleh. Not sure if you saw the other thread.  :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is my exact point, everyone is replicating a plan with McVay that hasn't proven anything yet.

McVay is the offensive guru in the league and he is winning because they have an amazing defense.

Joe Brady scares me as a candidate for this current Jets team, but he won't be hired here so it is a non issue. 

Goff sucks.  McVay is hiding his sh*tty QB well by running the ball effectively and playing great defense.  Something people still worship Rex Ryan for doing here.  

So let me get this straight:  McVay is succeeding, so we definitely should go ahead and NOT hire Joe Brady, since it won't happen again?  lmao.

This a terrible argument, Max.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Its Saleh. Not sure if you saw the other thread.  :)

I also noted that in that same thread, there were reports that Brady nailed his interview.  So, yeah.  Nothing is set in stone, nor should it be. 

We won't have a clue who is getting this job until we get that finalist list.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goff sucks.  McVay is hiding his sh*tty QB well by running the ball effectively and playing great defense.  Something people still worship Rex Ryan for doing here.  

So let me get this straight:  McVay is succeeding, so we definitely should go ahead and NOT hire Joe Brady, since it won't happen again?  lmao.

I am saying the league is chasing a trend that hasn't proven to be successful. That isn't a terrible argument, what young coach has won a Super Bowl? Mike Tomlin is the only one.

The thread simply says why is Brady getting interviews when Roman isn't? The #s you posted show how much success Roman has had. I don't want either of them to be the head coach here.

You seem to be getting defensive about Joe Brady. I am saying he isn't a good head coaching option at this time. This team needs a leader and he is too risky.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Goff does suck, terrible that they gave him that contract.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It's really strange how there's quite a few examples where a "guru" finds success as HC due primarily to the opposite side of the ball.

-Belichick -- DC

-McVay -- OC

-McDermont -- DC

-Brian Billick -- OC (casual fans always assume he had a defensive background, can win a lot of bar bets with that)

I'm not sure exactly what that means but I have my theory. My theory is that if you are a "guru," you should be able to under-invest on that side of the ball and create something worth more than the sum of its parts. In fact, you should embrace this challenge. Tell the GM "focus on the opposite side of the ball. I got my side on lock." This allows the team to over-invest in more talent to supplement the area you are personally "weak" in.

The opposite is what the Jets have done -- get a defensive guru like Rex or Bowles and then over-invest in their area of expertise. What's the point of going the guru route if he can only shine by dedicating well north of 50% of the teams resources into his side of the ball?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am saying the league is chasing a trend that hasn't proven to be successful. That isn't a terrible argument, what young coach has won a Super Bowl? Mike Tomlin is the only one.

The thread simply says why is Brady getting interviews when Roman isn't? The #s you posted show how much success Roman has had. I don't want either of them to be the head coach here.

You seem to be getting defensive about Joe Brady. I am saying he isn't a good head coaching option at this time. This team needs a leader and he is too risky.  

Not many young coaches get hired, for the dinosaur-esque reasons you're presenting.  Of the ones that HAVE gotten hired, how many have failed?  Maybe you could say Kingsbury has been a bit underwhelming, I suppose?  Who else?

And what does youth have to do with leadership skills?  Brady seems to have these skills in droves.  Assuming a guy can't lead because he's young is extremely flawed thinking.

I'm not just defending Brady here, I'm defending the philosophy behind hiring a young up-and-comer.  Something different from what the Jets have done previously.  I'm totally fine with taking a big swing at HC like this, whether its Brady or someone else.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Mogglez has suggested otherwise.  Joe Douglas is calling the shots on this hire and everything is trending towards a more "outside the box" hire than what the Jets usually do.  

I saw that, there are definite signs to suggest legitimate interest in candidates outside of the usual suspects. Staley and Brady both of whom would be considered unusual hires  

To be honest I am not sure what the "right hire is" but so far Douglas in his track record on choices in free agency and drafting have leaned cautious. Now with full autonomy maybe Douglas will surprise.

An average coach can go all the way with a great roster/good staff eg. Doug Pederson.

A great coach with a bad roster can get you to respectability until his GM produces talent, if ever.

The unlikeable Gase was idea target practice for Jets fans but the Jets core problem was and is the roster.

We can pretend that a great coach can turn things around, but the oline was one of several failed experiments on the Jets 2020 roster.

Douglas is the real key to wins in 2021 and beyond.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I saw that, there are definite signs to suggest legitimate interest in candidates outside of the usual suspects. Staley and Brady both of whom would be considered unusual hires  

To be honest I am not sure what the "right hire is" but so far Douglas in his track record on choices in free agency and drafting have leaned cautious. Now with full autonomy maybe Douglas will surprise.

An average coach can go all the way with a great roster/good staff eg. Doug Pederson.

A great coach with a bad roster can get you to respectability until his GM produces talent, if ever.

The unlikeable Gase was idea target practice for Jets fans but the Jets core problem was and is the roster.

We can pretend that a great coach can turn things around, but the oline was one of several failed experiments on the Jets 2020 roster.

Douglas is the real key to wins in 2021 and beyond.

He was cautious the first 1.5 years of his tenure because there was no sense in investing heavily in a team that isn't a contender.  Even though he said all offseason that this team would "surprise", his decision-making ran counter to that.  

This offseason, he has to take some big swings.  He needs a new HC, has a lot of picks and FA dollars.  He has no choice but to be aggressive.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not many young coaches get hired, for the dinosaur-esque reasons you're presenting.  Of the ones that HAVE gotten hired, how many have failed?  Maybe you could say Kingsbury has been a bit underwhelming, I suppose?  Who else?

And what does youth have to do with leadership skills?  Brady seems to have these skills in droves.  Assuming a guy can't lead because he's young is extremely flawed thinking.

I'm not just defending Brady here, I'm defending the philosophy behind hiring a young up-and-comer.  Something different from what the Jets have done previously.  I'm totally fine with taking a big swing at HC like this, whether its Brady or someone else.

Adam Gase was a young up and comer hired in his 30s who failed.  :)

I don't know much about Brady's leadership skills and you do know this about me. I will support and root for whoever they hire. Ironically even though I started this thread I would prefer Brady over Roman myself. And Daboll is someone I have concerns with.

So it really does come down to the hope that Joe Douglas is changing things. And I will really believe that whatever decision he makes will be better than what Woody or Chris come up with on their own. So if it is Joe Brady, I will be on board. I mean hell, I gave Adam Gase a chance, it really can't get much worse lol.

46 minutes ago, jgb said:

It's really strange how there's quite a few examples where a "guru" finds success as HC due primarily to the opposite side of the ball.

-Belichick -- DC

-McVay -- OC

-McDermont -- DC

-Brian Billick -- OC (casual fans always assume he had a defensive background, can win a lot of bar bets with that)

I'm not sure exactly what that means but I have my theory. My theory is that if you are a "guru," you should be able to under-invest on that side of the ball and create something worth more than the sum of its parts. In fact, you should embrace this challenge. Tell the GM "focus on the opposite side of the ball. I got my side on lock." This allows the team to over-invest in more talent to supplement the area you are personally "weak" in.

The opposite is what the Jets have done -- get a defensive guru like Rex or Bowles and then over-invest in their area of expertise. What's the point of going the guru route if he can only shine by dedicating well north of 50% of the teams resources into his side of the ball?

I totally agree. I think in the case of Belichick it is because he is that smart. I think in the case of Billick it is because he joined a great organization at the right time. I could have coached that team with that defense and won a Super Bowl!  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was cautious the first 1.5 years of his tenure because there was no sense in investing heavily in a team that isn't a contender.  Even though he said all offseason that this team would "surprise", his decision-making ran counter to that.  

This offseason, he has to take some big swings.  He needs a new HC, has a lot of picks and FA dollars.  He has no choice but to be aggressive.

Off the original topic but I agree. I want him to take two big free agency swings. And then depth - depth - depth. Upgrade positions without signing everyone on day one.  But two day one signings would be nice!

Then you have what should be 3 impact players with your first three picks.

New coach, no more Gase. 5 impact players, get Mosley back. The rest of the cap, the rest of the draft picks should all help as well.

I am thinking Super Bowl in case you haven't noticed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I totally agree. I think in the case of Belichick it is because he is that smart. I think in the case of Billick it is because he joined a great organization at the right time. I could have coached that team with that defense and won a Super Bowl!  

Could also be some self-selection bias at play. Teams tend to hire a guy to "fix" their perceived weakness. That explains the case of Brian Billick relatively well. Although, he basically failed to fix the offense and rode the defense to a ring, as you state!

21 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Roman has been heavily criticised, at times, in both San Francisco and Baltimore.

Whether that is simply because the OC job is nitpicked to death, or he has notable flaws,  or both?

I honestly don't know. 

The least popular guy with a given NFL fanbase is usually the OC and the most popular guy is usually the backup QB. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Adam Gase was a young up and comer hired in his 30s who failed.  :)

I don't know much about Brady's leadership skills and you do know this about me. I will support and root for whoever they hire. Ironically even though I started this thread I would prefer Brady over Roman myself. And Daboll is someone I have concerns with.

So it really does come down to the hope that Joe Douglas is changing things. And I will really believe that whatever decision he makes will be better than what Woody or Chris come up with on their own. So if it is Joe Brady, I will be on board. I mean hell, I gave Adam Gase a chance, it really can't get much worse lol.

And he didn't learn anything in his 2nd stop, either.  It's almost like it doesn't matter how much age or experience a guy has, only his ability counts. 

Brady seems to have as much ability to coach as any of these other Coordinators we're considering, so color me completely unconcerned about his age or experience.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QB DVOA rankings under Greg Roman (as OC, 2011-present):

• 2011, SF - Alex Smith:  # 13
  • 2012, SF - Alex Smith:  # 9
  • 2012, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 3
  • 2013, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 7
  • 2014, SF - Colin Kaepernick:  # 28
  • 2015, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  # 8
  • 2016, BUF - Tyrod Taylor:  N/A - scapegoated by Rex Ryan after 37-31 Week 2 loss to Jets
  • 2017, BAL - Joe Flacco:  N/A - Offensive Coordinator was Marty Mornhinweg
  • 2018, BAL - Joe Flacco:  # 16
  • 2019, BAL - Lamar Jackson:  # 2
  • 2020, BAL - Lamar Jackson:  ???  (won a playoff game)

Roman should be the number 1 Target. Best shot to fix Darnold or Make Fields a superstar. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also believe he knew or at least strongly suspected that Darnold wasn't going to develop into being "the guy." Better to be cautious, start clearing the decks to bring in a QB of his choosing, roll over a bunch of cap, and start to rebuild in earnest in 2021. 

If Darnold proved him wrong, all the better. That didn't happen.